FIFA 18 (Console Versions)

The final cover:

DHrLZVuVoAEWHDZ.jpg:small

It looks better than the first one at least.

Based on what I played they don't need to show anything, the trailer is enough

The gameplay is solid enough that it will probably break records online, and I'm not sure PES will be quite ready to challenge it

You can't.
You can't judge whether the gameplay is good or bad. Or whether the game feels nice.
But you can see that it looks cartoonish and player models like kinda Frankensteinish, shoulders look like cold water is being poured on players backs, their torso is always toto straight, and their arms move weird.

Also I absolutely disagree about graphics from gameplay cam. PES 2018 pitches look far better, even if they don't have dynamic pitch wear or pitch getting scratched. Colors are very important in how real life football gets depicted in a game and how that makes us is perceived by our brains, making it more or less believable - When I watch a FIFA (any version of it) video, I just can't get immersed in it because it just looks off in this aspect.

Of course I will get FIFA 18 demo as soon as it's out and try it myself. I hope I'm wrong about. I actually would love to be wrong. I want to love it.

+1

Its not for me...

Considering the PR was all "AI team styles" and "we've fixed the basics that are crucial to football", I'm really disappointed that the final, so-called gameplay trailer is just "look at all the wondergoals". That you can't even see anyway because of the eclectic epileptic editing.

FIFA will never change, will it.

So, so good off the pitch, too. It pains me.

FIFA will never change, will it.

So, so good off the pitch, too. It pains me.

It makes me angry at Konami more than at EA. Because if Konami had hired extra programmers to give ML extra-everything, we would all be getting wet at PES. I mean, apparently, that's all PES 2018 is lacking. Presentation and ML depth.

Licenses can't really be discussed since there's nothing Konami can really do about it. But they could have worked harder on presentation (PES 2011 menus were greater than PES 2018) and ML. Specially ML.

The final cover:

DHrLZVuVoAEWHDZ.jpg:small

It looks better than the first one at least.
yeah, it looks good
you know they always got something cooking on the back burner
behind closed doors working on something big
because the big stuff takes longer than a year to develop
question is what and when will we get it
maybe fifa 19, 20

Last edited:
It makes me angry at Konami more than at EA. Because if Konami had hired extra programmers to give ML extra-everything, we would all be getting wet at PES. I mean, apparently, that's all PES 2018 is lacking. Presentation and ML depth.
Absolutely nailed it. Couldn't agree with you more.

In the PES thread yesterday, a guy was winding someone up who had a problem with the shooting, saying "there's a guy who does the faces, and a guy who does the shooting, and they're totally different people". (I won't quote it, because he's right.) But. Is there a team that does game modes, and a team that does gameplay? (Plus others - netcode and all that.)

I don't think there is. It doesn't feel like there are enough programmers to have separate teams - hence why both things (including gameplay) still have gaping holes (and we don't care because the gameplay is STILL better than FIFAs).

If separate teams existed, the ML would have evolved by more than just "your chairman tells you what to do now". In reality, that means your average squad rating is calculated, compared to the others in the league, and you're told where to finish. Are we really supposed to burst with excitement over this?

Meanwhile, in FIFA's transfer negotiations - and screw saying "I'll skip it", just think for a minute about how far ahead of Konami's development this is - YOU GO AND SIT IN A ROOM WITH THE AGENT AND DISCUSS CONTRACT DETAILS IN PERSON.

It's all well and good saying gameplay's all that matters. But the Master League has been Game-Boy-basic for so long. Don't give me a Ferrari and tell me I can only drive it around a car park. It's going to get boring really quickly.

For the second year running (see my PES 2017 review where I ended by saying "I hope next year they spend more time on the stuff that isn't gameplay"), I'm already looking to next year's game. I sympathise with the moaners. It doesn't feel good.

Last edited:
In other news.

PhineasFIFA on Twitter

FIFA Street is at Gamescom and nobody appears to know why. Is it a backwards-compatible title (but then football games very rarely do that due to player licenses, let alone music licenses)? Is it part of FIFA 18 (but if it was, they'd have told us by now, so I'd say almost definitely not)?

Or is it just a weird "museum" bit of EA's area?

Looking at the graphics and the interface, it's definitely new. The guy in the video claims it's a new mode in FIFA 18.

Looking at the graphics and the interface, it's definitely new. The guy in the video claims it's a new mode in FIFA 18.
Given how people loved FIFA Street and love nostalgia (note: I hated it), why would they have kept it a secret? Doesn't make sense to me!

Even as a mini-game people would be hyped about it. Well, just type "FIFA Street" into Twitter now - people are already losing their minds over it.

I'm waiting for anyone else to say they're at Gamescom and they've played it before I believe it's a part of FIFA 18, there are so many conflicting tweets...

EDIT: Twitter's translation tools don't help either. Hopefully remove a FIFA Street cone with the handsome one. Damn.

7Hfj8Wu.png

Last edited:
EDIT: Twitter's translation tools don't help either. Hopefully remove a FIFA Street cone with the handsome one. Damn.

7Hfj8Wu.png

He's just saying that he wishes EA launch another FIFA Street, because "it's so fucking awesome".

And yeah, if they go with a FIFA Street mini-game, that will be enough to hype everyone.

Absolutely nailed it. Couldn't agree with you more.

In the PES thread yesterday, a guy was winding someone up who had a problem with the shooting, saying "there's a guy who does the faces, and a guy who does the shooting, and they're totally different people". (I won't quote it, because he's right.) But. Is there a team that does game modes, and a team that does gameplay? (Plus others - netcode and all that.)

I don't think there is. It doesn't feel like there are enough programmers to have separate teams - hence why both things (including gameplay) still have gaping holes (and we don't care because the gameplay is STILL better than FIFAs).

If separate teams existed, the ML would have evolved by more than just "your chairman tells you what to do now". In reality, that means your average squad rating is calculated, compared to the others in the league, and you're told where to finish. Are we really supposed to burst with excitement over this?

Meanwhile, in FIFA's transfer negotiations - and screw saying "I'll skip it", just think for a minute about how far ahead of Konami's development this is - YOU GO AND SIT IN A ROOM WITH THE AGENT AND DISCUSS CONTRACT DETAILS IN PERSON.

It's all well and good saying gameplay's all that matters. But the Master League has been Game-Boy-basic for so long. Don't give me a Ferrari and tell me I can only drive it around a car park. It's going to get boring really quickly.

For the second year running (see my PES 2017 review where I ended by saying "I hope next year they spend more time on the stuff that isn't gameplay"), I'm already looking to next year's game. I sympathise with the moaners. It doesn't feel good.

I don't really mind the cutscenes in Career Mode/ML... really cool during the first 2 months, but they get old too soon. Too repetitive. So you end up skipping them. Reminds me of PES 2013 where your 'assistant (?)' would tell you how the team you are up against plays, or who the key player is. Nice and all, but after a few months I wanted to fire that mofucker's ass. Couldn't stand his guts anymore.

I bet this year's new cutscenes in FIFA are going to be awesome. Pretty life-like. But they will all end up the same way in the end: Getting skipped.

Reminds me of PES 2013 where your 'assistant (?)' would tell you how the team you are up against plays, or who the key player is. Nice and all, but after a few months I wanted to fire that mofucker's ass.
But that's what we should be asking for. Not necessarily the cut-scene, but "here's who we're playing", "here's how they play", "here's their danger man". That's EXACTLY what's missing from FIFA, for me.

You don't even get to see a guess at the opponent's line-up before a match. It's everything that's wrong with FIFA (other than it being wondergoal-focused) - you can play however you want to play and do whatever you want to do, and win, without ever having to worry about the opponent's style - or players. It's brainless.

Hence why I was so excited to see "team styles" in their PR. Finally, they were listening to us. But I'm hoping that teams had the wrong styles assigned in the beta, because the beta was a lot worse than 17, from an AI perspective.

If EA pull off something like Fifa street within FIFA 18 or the world cup game then it's curtains for any competitor for another 3 years tbh

The off the ball movement looks class...gutted now as i expected to buy PES on release day for this years fix but now i will probably wait for this, as i am only buying one this year(may buy PES when it hits 15 quid again)

The off the ball movement looks class...gutted now as i expected to buy PES on release day for this years fix but now i will probably wait for this, as i am only buying one this year(may buy PES when it hits 15 quid again)
I agree, it looks better there than I experienced with the beta.

All I'll say is - if you'll primarily be playing against the AI, you might be disappointed.

We need the demo. I'd love to find out that all of the beta stuff that was broken has been fixed - it just feels like there was too much to fix...

PERFECT! A video against the AI.

That appears to be a million times slower than the beta (and I played on the same camera angle too so it's not a camera thing).

But. Look at the AI. They only ever pass to the striker, then go backwards if he can't shoot. In my experience on the beta, all teams do it, too.

They play the stupidest, simplest football (on every difficulty level) - and it shows how imbalanced the game is, because they win doing it (your defenders are permanently drunk).

EDIT: Wow, it gets worse. Fast forward to 23:29.

It's Chelsea (the AI). The keeper passes it to a defender, and then he LITERALLY just smashes it forward to a striker. (It's 29 minutes into the first half. Why.)

Why are all AI teams playing like Sunday League teams? I'm not exaggerating here, they've ruined the game. Absolutely shocking.

Check out the AI's play from 24:04 on. The midfield doesn't exist any more.

Last edited:
In that clip Chelsea are counter attacking so I don't entirely agree that this is a problem. There is certainly more midfield on display than the PES gameplay I saw today

Although as a general point the AI play is very simplistic, you rarely see them switch the play with a long pass or whip in an early cross etc. I think this comes down to them wanting the human player to have more time on the ball, it was a stated strategy of theirs, which is a shame.

In that clip Chelsea are counter attacking so I don't entirely agree that this is a problem.
Counter-attacking from a goal kick (23:29)? With everyone in position?

Nobody in the midfield is available, but rather than pass to a defender and slowly move up the field, he just humps it to the striker. It's Sunday League stuff - you'd accept it as a one-off, but it isn't a one-off.

Here's the beta, on World Class difficulty. Look at the tactics, and then watch how the AI plays. This is all of their attacks, in the opening 14 minutes.

There's tons of examples, but the most similar is this one - 27 secs. Free kick, from their own half. He's got a wing-back next to him, unmarked. A whole midfield unmarked. What does he do? Smashes it 60 yards forward.

(Yeah, the winger he aims for isn't marked well, but trust me - or don't - they are desperate to get the ball forward and they never hit it short.)

It's cleared back to their defence, and the defender heads it 30 yards straight forward, to someone who then kicks it 30 yards straight forward. It's all straight forward. They're DESPERATE (almost rabid) to get the ball forward.

"Simplistic", as you said, is right. It's a huge leap backwards and I can't quite believe it - it feels as though a whole level of code has just been removed.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom