FIFA 18 (Console Versions)

I kinda hoped I was dreaming as I heard him say that. Lighting looked spot on, though

NIGHT lighting doesnt look THAT bad...

Indeed.
In THAT video, night lighting and graphically in general it looks very good. I don't know whether the video has been edited to enhance colors though, as all the other videos I've seen don't look like that in night games.

I love how the crowds look too.

negatives:
night lighting
defending
ball physics to light
AI
ball size
perfect passing
sluggish menus like all EA games
some ice skating

Positives:
animations
pitch
day lighting
licensing
presentation
foul system

This year for me FIFA is looking like a more complete package than PES, i'm enjoying FIFA 17 again now with sliders.

FIFA 17 is horrible

if FIFA 18 is anything like it I wot bother.

that video above where youtube guy says its too fast and pes-like

This is what's wrong with FIFA crowd they want fast end to end matches using Ronaldo and messi

that magic feeling of 2001 ish when a new pes was around the corner is over it's all about online and player faces now

Indeed.
In THAT video, night lighting and graphically in general it looks very good. I don't know whether the video has been edited to enhance colors though, as all the other videos I've seen don't look like that in night games.

I love how the crowds look too.

It's maybe on PS4 Pro, who have 4K and HDR.
I know that Xbox One X and PS4 Pro will have these seetings

It is indeed a generation thing. I was lucky that I was still a child between the years 1998 and 2006 and have been able to play all generations of PES, from ISS Deluxe on SNES to ISS on PS1 and Winning Eleven 3 on PS1. It was a magical feeling to test the difference between PES 2 and PES 3 gameplay. I never experienced that difference again in terms of gameplay.

My nephew, for example, only plays FUT and online and really does not really care what the game is like gameplay-wise. He only cares if he can make a trick and score as fast as possible. It is very sad.

Last edited:
It is indeed a generation thing. I was lucky that I was still a child between the years 2000 and 2006 and have been able to play all generations of PES. It was a magical feeling to test the difference between PES 2 and PES 3 gameplay. I never experienced that difference again in terms of gameplay.

My nephew, for example, only plays FUT and online and really does not really care what the game is like gameplay-wise. He only cares if he can make a trick and score as fast as possible. It is very sad.

The problem is that Konami cannot compete with EA online. It's impossible because their foundations were based on proper simulation and the modding and editing capabilities, Unless they alienate their whole community (Which they nearly did successfully by ruining the game for years) then they cannot just move on.

Either rebrand it as a stand alone online game or go in a different direction that could pull off some of FIFAs players. Being Fifa's uglier little sister and feeding off crumbs left by EA isn't a very good position to be in.

Online as a 2v2 or 3v3 is a great alternative to FUT, As well as adding a proper online Be A Legend mode Where people can start their own clubs and recruit players, You won't need licensing or huge servers for these.

The way I see it, FIFA was heading towards being an absolutely perfect Football game (with everything that word implies. Not a simulator, but a game), then something happened (blame it on Frostbite, blame it on FIFA's producer, blame it on the boogie) and it took a slightly different direction. They can recover from last year's mess quick enough. They've got the man power, they've got the resources and they've had the time to do it. Will they? Won't they? It's just a matter of which direction they want to point FIFA in. That's it.

From what I've seen on this videos, they haven't steered it in the right direction. Players move like one of their foot has been nailed to the floor. They limp when they have the ball. This wasn't happening before FIFA 17. But maybe the feeling when you have the controller in your hands wins over the feeling you get when just watching it.

Last edited:
The way I see it, FIFA was heading towards to being and absolutely perfect Football game (with everything that word implies. Not a simulator, but a game), then something happened (blame it on Frostbite, blame it on FIFA's producer, blame it on the boogie) and it took a slightly different direction. They can recover from last year's mess quick enough. They've got the man power, they've got the resources and they've had the time to do it. Will they? Won't they? It's just a matter of which direction they want to point FIFA in. That's it.

From what I've seen on this videos, they haven't steered it in the right direction. Players move like one of their foot has been nailed to the floor. They limp when they have the ball. This wasn't happening before FIFA 17. But maybe the feeling when you have the controller in your hands wins over the feeling you get when just watching it.
Problem is they need to separate Ultimate Team / FUT or whatever people call it from the Main Game. What I mean by that is have faster gameplay and possibly more "Arcade Like" physics for FUT mode so the kids can enjoy pulling off tricks with the trick stick whilst getting a "Hard-On" and scoring cheap crap goals. BUT for the other modes like Career / Head to Head Seasons / Co-Op Seasons have a much more realistic set of game settings....

They won't do that but I think that is the answer.

Problem is they need to separate Ultimate Team / FUT or whatever people call it from the Main Game. What I mean by that is have faster gameplay and possibly more "Arcade Like" physics for FUT mode so the kids can enjoy pulling off tricks with the trick stick whilst getting a "Hard-On" and scoring cheap crap goals. BUT for the other modes like Career / Head to Head Seasons / Co-Op Seasons have a much more realistic set of game settings....

They won't do that but I think that is the answer.

Am I wrong or back in 2014 there was a FIFA Online game only?. It wasn't called that, but it was something like FIFA WORLD LEAGUE or something like that?. It had pretty much the same gameplay and same graphics as FIFA 14. It was only for PC. It was a free game. And I kinda liked it.

However, what you're asking a company like EA to do is a no-go. I mean, I agree with you and all, but it just will never happen unfortunately. Same way PES will never have sliders (at least until they decide to create the game from 0, literally from 0).

Am I wrong or back in 2014 there was a FIFA Online game only?. It wasn't called that, but it was something like FIFA WORLD LEAGUE or something like that?. It had pretty much the same gameplay and same graphics as FIFA 14. It was only for PC. It was a free game. And I kinda liked it.
FIFA World, I think it was called. It was produced for the Asian market - EA saw a hole that they hoped they could fill in their PC gaming culture. I recall reading that it was doing okay, but I don't know if it's still going.

There were better football games on PC, I think - there was a game on PC that received a lot of press attention, a game where you controlled one footballer and had to play in teams with other real people, and it was like a cross between Second Life and Be A Pro. But the few times I played it, it was terrible. Great idea, though.

The way I see it, FIFA was heading towards being an absolutely perfect Football game (with everything that word implies. Not a simulator, but a game), then something happened (blame it on Frostbite, blame it on FIFA's producer, blame it on the boogie) and it took a slightly different direction. They can recover from last year's mess quick enough. They've got the man power, they've got the resources and they've had the time to do it. Will they? Won't they? It's just a matter of which direction they want to point FIFA in. That's it.

Sorry, what?
Have you watched a single video? I get you don't like it but they limp in possession?

No, just no.

Have you watched a single video? I get you don't like it but they limp in possession?
I kind of see what he's saying, if you lean on L2/LT the whole game and shield yourself all the way up the field, it does look a bit "limpy". Just an opinion.

The last game of 17 I played online, that is genuinely what happened all game. The guy would give the ball to his best dribbler on the half-way line and literally walk up the pitch, with defender after defender bouncing off him. It represented football as much as Pacman represents life in Victorian Britain.

(But that's online play for you, I've currently got a 17 Manager Mode save going with heavily modified sliders, as Blackpool in League Two, and I'm really enjoying it - hence my fear of what appeared to be an AI leap backwards in the beta.)

I can't understand anybody who doesn't think that looks good, battles, fouls, dribbling , decent flow, shot variation..animation is on point - looking forward to trying this

Love the pace and shot variation, looking forward to playing this, seriously looks amazing this year

Looks very good.
Personal note,I think running still (just like 17) looks a bit Benny Hillish,legs move very strange.
And if they work on the tackles/battles to make them look a bit more realistic/harder.
But that's all I have,hopefully the cpu will be smart/flexible and play accordingly,then it's a keeper

Back
Top Bottom