FIFA 18 (Console Versions)

look at that pass at 5:14.....no way he can generate that kind of power like that.
Decent video but even though it's slower it still seems too fast (to me).

And....the keeper's reaction on the first goal...seems he is very late.

Sorry, what?
Have you watched a single video? I get you don't like it but they limp in possession?

No, just no.

I'm sorry, but that's what I see.
And yes, I've watched every single FIFA 18 that has surfaced in hope to find something I can look forward to.
Last year at this stage, I was keen to think FIFA 17 would be absolutely amazing. 80-20. FIFA-PES. And I was wrong. I couldn't play FIFA 17 for more than a month, hated it. Instead... I am still enjoying PES 2017.

This year I got the opposite feeling. I get the vibe that FIFA 18 won't be for me.
Although I hope I'm wrong and I hope both game demos will be awesome.

Still dont get any of the graphical style and lightning in this game. What were they thinking? You have all these licenses and I remember some other FIFA game where they had these dull sepia no contrast colours. Is it supposed to be cool? If anyone can show me anything real life that looks remotely like that I would love to know cause its mind boggling to me as FIFA should always have a great amount of authenticity realism

The best green pitch I found was this old trafford pitch but even that looks dull and dim lighted http://puu.sh/xiyF5/8877344553.png

Another stadium in nighttime http://puu.sh/xiymU/c6729a18bf.png

Not a really fair comparison in terms of stadium difference but I also compared it with the other football game. And overall you get a good look at the ''style'' the game wants to have. Just the desaturated colours of chelsea kits and manutd kits make me sad man. http://puu.sh/xiya6/406ea25359.png

Suffice to say that this will likely be my last post in this thread until the demo, but I honestly think this game looks pretty uninspiring and just not very relatable beyond basic movements and positioning. It lacks athleticism and urgency, purely based on the look admittedly, but I'm sorry but it takes more than animations to capture athleticism and awareness; simply looks like players forced to play a match with no sense of urgency or there being anything at stake for the dudes out on the pitch. At least that is what it looks like. It looks disconnected from the real sport thst I have both played and watched for decades.

Pace looks slow, but slow for the sake of being slow. I'm not seeing enough variance in tempo and it kills the overall look and believability of proceedings for me. That could be down to the users themselves but it has proven fairly consistent in what I have watched so far.

With each passing year and new FIFA release, the more it looks like a game made by fans of television broadcasts as opposed to the actual sport, but ironically it looks more cinematic than televisual. It looks like a game crafted by people who have never played the sport at any level. That obviously isn't true but this latest looks like it, and previous games have felt like it. I actually feel a bit sorry for the developers who I am sure have plenty of ideas and innovations, but who are likely now told to adhere to a template. A bit of a big one that as it risks feature creep, which is a thing and often destroys games, if not sales.

I could end up being pleasantly surprised, and hope to be. The more I see though, the more I feel I won't be. Yet I will likely still buy it, on relesse day, just to entertain my curiosity.

There something I dont like with the presentation of the team lineups the graphics look like something out of Microsoft paint and not really Fifa standard.

Seems to me this was a rush job and was not planned from the start.

Still dont get any of the graphical style and lightning in this game. What were they thinking? You have all these licenses and I remember some other FIFA game where they had these dull sepia no contrast colours. Is it supposed to be cool? If anyone can show me anything real life that looks remotely like that I would love to know cause its mind boggling to me as FIFA should always have a great amount of authenticity realism

The best green pitch I found was this old trafford pitch but even that looks dull and dim lighted http://puu.sh/xiyF5/8877344553.png

Another stadium in nighttime http://puu.sh/xiymU/c6729a18bf.png

Not a really fair comparison in terms of stadium difference but I also compared it with the other football game. And overall you get a good look at the ''style'' the game wants to have. Just the desaturated colours of chelsea kits and manutd kits make me sad man. http://puu.sh/xiya6/406ea25359.png

Couldn't agree more.

FIFA World, I think it was called. It was produced for the Asian market - EA saw a hole that they hoped they could fill in their PC gaming culture. I recall reading that it was doing okay, but I don't know if it's still going.
It's been shut down in 2015 as far as I remember.
I remember I put several hours in it: I reached Div. 2 with Levante in the 'League Teams' mode (there was no matchmaking filter so it was quite always Levante vs. Barcelona or Levante vs. Real Madrid, maybe sometimes Bayern Munich or Chelsea) and I had my fair share of fun. :))
Also, it had no manual controls or such but it was fun nonetheless: its FUT mode was deeper than the one in FIFA 14/FIFA 15 (as it not only was based on FUT 13 so it had all the things that got stripped from FUT 14 like preferred formations, but it would also allow to mix 2013/14 and 2014/15 player/manager cards).

It's FIFA. For what it is, I'm content with seeing a base of a midfield. No excuses of tactics, advanced instructions, or whatever else people come up with to defend the lack of base fundamentals.

If sliders are in, we can work from there. I still think that ball is a bit small, but not as obvious as last year.

Regardless, sliders will always keep my money going to EA. I'm not going to say I'm excited, but I'm looking forward to FIFA 18.

sliders annoy me because it allows ea to be lazy

I don't want to have to tinker with the game for weeks or months to 'fix something' which will then only break something else

I don't think they are that lazy. I think that is a flawed perception. It can't be proven for or against because there are arguments on both sides.

Options are more important than not having them. Your perception, or preference, could be completely different than somebody else. You paid for the game, wouldn't you prefer to have the option to tweak to your preference?

You paid for the game, wouldn't you prefer to have the option to tweak to your preference?
This - paying £50 for something that would be great if you could just slow it down a tad and if every player's first touch wasn't quite as perfect, and having no way of fixing that, means playing a game you can never enjoy and ending up selling it.

Not every slider breaks everything. (Just some...)

When I think of PES 2017, if there was a "pass error" slider - I mean, I'd sell my soul for them to include that. It doesn't mean they're suddenly lazy - it means they're making the game that the masses want, whilst giving little old me a means of enjoying the game (Adam Bhatti is quoted as saying they've experimented with less accurate passes and it "wasn't as fun" - but it would be fun to me).

I'm enjoying my FIFA 17 save at the minute. Without sliders, it'd be 100mph, breakneck ridiculousness, and I wouldn't have played the game for five minutes. So I get nervous when people start saying they should go. They definitely shouldn't.

I think the IGN video of Man U - Chelsea looks decent, good foot planting in there and a decent slowed down pace, bit worried the new dribbling may make it easier to win pens and create chances in the box, hopefully its not as exploitable as 17 cutting in from the wing and unmarked cam's allowing an easy through ball.

I don't want to have to tinker with the game for weeks or months to 'fix something' which will then only break something else
I can't be arsed with Sliders. I get why others want to use them but its personally not for me. I want to play the game as it ships especially as online you can't use Sliders to affect how your AI Controlled players play :)

I want to play the game as it ships especially as online you can't use Sliders to affect how your AI Controlled players play :)
Precisely - so they can't be lazy. And they aren't. (Though what they're working towards is a gameplay that makes FUT players happy - so online isn't for me, and so again, the sliders are a HUGE blessing to me. Win win.)

I can't be arsed with Sliders. I get why others want to use them but its personally not for me.
Precisely - so they can't be lazy. And they aren't. (Though what they're working towards is a gameplay that makes FUT players happy - so online isn't for me, and so again, the sliders are a HUGE blessing to me. Win win.)
Completely agree as I posted before they look at the FUT crowd and design the core gameplay around what makes them happy e.g. getting a hard-on with the Trick Stick and Ronaldo.... :(

team styles explained
40 seconds - "there's a special 'fuck yers' in making a fluid game".

2:50 - team style talk. He says every team plays a different way in career mode. All I can say is, in the kick-off beta, they definitely didn't.

3:35 - he says custom team tactics have a bigger effect. Again, I uploaded that Tottenham video to show they had no effect (on the AI team anyway).

5:00 - talking about defending, interesting (the interviewer says he doesn't like FIFA's defending). They're dedicated to the defending system and say that player attributes make more of a difference now all-round.

12:50 - confirmation that they're trying to make the AI "more human" and make it easier to read, and the AI less likely to make ridiculous split-second decisions. Sounds good, as long as they play like the actual team would. My concern is that this is part of the reason why I experienced the AI constantly trying to counter.

Last edited:
To be honest, I'm actually looking more forward to FIFA this year, aside from the underlying hardcore issues, I still believe it plays a decent game.

True dat. But it's nice to see the underdog winning one for a change.
I just can't see it that way. I enjoy both games for what they are. I hate that EA don't let Konami in on the PL or that EA can't have a shot anymore at showing us what they can do with the UCL now.

If I play with Barca, I'm going to have to play the Clasico in PES at home and away with FIFA. :p

I hate exclusive licenses both ways. So annoying.
True dat. But it's nice to see the underdog winning one for a change.
Yeah, I hate it, but I can't help but feel like I've just watched a boxer who's practically on life support just land his first punch, and I'm kind of happy for him.

When EA takes the Champions League back from Konami, even though they'll probably do ten times as much with the license (maybe a different set of commentators, players moving clubs depending on Champions League eligibility, that kind of thing), it'll be such an agonising blow.

Back
Top Bottom