FIFA 17 News & Discussion Thread

It's probably because I suck, but I can't score for my life with Arsenal on CM. I barely get scored on either, but man I'm having a tough time putting chances away.

I found the same thing but then it clicked and I couldn't stop scoring AND also couldn't concede a goal!

I am not going near the Career Mode in this again unless there's a 'difficulty update' - it's far too easy.

Just bought the game today as I wanted to wait until I'd given pes 2017 a good play and wait for the PlayStation pro.

I'm 3 games in and incredibly underwhelmed. I've put Matt's sliders on, and the game feels "clunky" and less fluid as FIFA 16 which I loved. Will play about with sliders to find a balance I like.

Not scored one goal, build up play seems impossible, the new corner system is crap, the penalty system is even worse, and I feel like they've massively pissed about.

I hope I'm wrong and I remember every new pes in the glory years differed and it took 2/3 days for it to click, is it the same here or just a bit shit in general?

I hope I'm wrong and I remember every new pes in the glory years differed and it took 2/3 days for it to click, is it the same here or just a bit shit in general?
Entirely depends who you ask. But, my opinion is on the previous page - i.e. I really don't like it unfortunately.

Chaps, to save me searching these changes to corners -

I know you can change it to control a player but I'm not arsed with that, you aim the square in the box and charge up the cross button. Anything more to it like triangle or square to add dip or other things, or can you yourself add more curl etc?

Tried to start a career 3 times but can't get into it.
Took it online and I loved it.
Used Napoli and drew with Utd 1-1, lost to Dortmund 3-1 and beat Liverpool 4-0 - they had Milner sent off after 27 mins.
If you get the right opponent who wants to play football and not use speed it's Great game online.

Been out of action for a while after getting the Pro, came back to this yesterday (a friend has borrowed PES to see if he can get into it).

I managed a couple of games before turning it off. I can't get any joy out of it whatsoever, 80% because of the way that the AI magically keeps hold of the ball (the ball is glued to their feet and anything but a risky slide-tackle is a waste of time in what should be a simple block/stab-tackle situation)...

20% because every opposition player feels the same (someone made the great point a month or two ago - without comparing the games, PES gives players individual playing style cards and unique abilities beyond which tricks they can do, whereas FIFA is just attributes, and you can't expect the AI to pull off individuality when it's limited to "left midfielder who's crap at heading").

It makes me so angry, because otherwise, the game is spectacular, but because of this stuff, I find it a worse overall experience than the previous two games.

The physics are great, you're now punished a lot more for trying to pull off something you shouldn't be able to do, the career mode could be deeper but it's still good, the graphics are fantastic, the little touches you get in every league you play in all add to the experience exponentially.

But when I try to tackle the AI, and I get close, and they just shuffle the ball around like a Harlem Globetrotter... I just want to smash the controller against the wall, truly. It makes my blood boil.

The AI, and the difficulty levels, have been shit for years. You don't play a team, you play the difficulty level. Aston Villa are Barcelona on Legendary. It's been like this for years and it needs to change.

Have you tried putting it on legacy defending? It saved offline for me with regards to tackling for the ball and regaining the ball.

Tried to start a career 3 times but can't get into it.
Took it online and I loved it.
Funny you should say that - that's exactly what I tried over the weekend.

Played 3-4 games, and I was surprised, but still not impressed. It was slower than I expected, with a lot more miskicked passes and shots, which is (very) nice to see. But every team I played was putting me under constant pressure, and though it was visibly slowing the players down in the second half, it didn't make it any less effective - and then it's just lofted through-balls to wingers, over and over again. And when they get a goal, they put their foot on the ball in defence, dance around it in a circle, and I go and punch a few neighbourhood children (in-case it was one of them).

Have you tried putting it on legacy defending? It saved offline for me with regards to tackling for the ball and regaining the ball.
Yep, makes a difference but doesn't change the feel of the game IMO. The killer is - even discounting all the stuff that's obviously brilliant like the licenses and the graphics - I know that the engine itself is brilliant, but even after playing with the sliders I just don't enjoy it. The fun factor has gone for me, particularly against the AI. But A) to each his own, and B) I do really enjoy Be A Pro, even with the samey AI, so I'm getting something out of it!

I think I'm too old for career mode. I don't feel interested enough in it. When I was a lot younger id devote hours to the ML or CM - But not now as I don't get the time.

Online is great as long as you get someone who wants to play football. Not just ping it about and use speed. Only had 1 game where the lag made it unplayable and I quit and took the defeat.

I think people buy FIFA for different things, personally myself I buy the game for CM.

I just can't get on with it online - Everyone is always Barcelona or Real Madrid + they just play the game doing the same crappy goal time after time... It also annoys me that players play on full auto.

This game is far too easy in single player and whilst better online, is still a load of unrealistic nonsense.

Players simply don't getting punished for constantly holding the sprint button.

And my god - the kids who use that 'shield' action so you can't tackle them.

FIFA is meh. I am trying to enjoy online but struggling now. It was great for a few games but grates extremely quickly.

EA won't care though. They've got the FUT Zombies they can milk year in, year out.

"I av just opened a pack and I got Hazard blue card and he has serious skillz man!"

Fuck off.

My opinion after a few days play is there is so much incredibly good stuff, that it is a huge annoyance the few small things fuck it all up. It could be brilliant and it's so frustrating it's not.

Not done any modes just played single player.

The single worst issue for me is the difficulty in winning the ball off the computer, and them being amazing on the ball with such high possession and little passes. After that comes difficulty in holding onto the ball without getting closed down immediately. Then these shit corners and penalties.

Do they have no comprehension of how great certain things are within the game and the things that let it down?

Same old story it looks just like football, doesn't quite play like football, and you have to work out how to beat the game, not just score more than the opponent.

had a great game online last night. Napoli beat A Madrid 2-0 and Ive got promotion out of my league with a few games spare. When you get the right opposition this game is amazing.

Asked in the PRO thread but when the game goes online does it drop down to HD from 4K? Thanks

My opinion after a few days play is there is so much incredibly good stuff, that it is a huge annoyance the few small things fuck it all up. It could be brilliant and it's so frustrating it's not.

Not done any modes just played single player.

The single worst issue for me is the difficulty in winning the ball off the computer, and them being amazing on the ball with such high possession and little passes. After that comes difficulty in holding onto the ball without getting closed down immediately. Then these shit corners and penalties.

Do they have no comprehension of how great certain things are within the game and the things that let it down?

Same old story it looks just like football, doesn't quite play like football, and you have to work out how to beat the game, not just score more than the opponent.

Fifa 17 certainly has rubberband AI, as it did on last gen.

An example. Today in Career Mode, I played Everton away and won 0-1. Everton didn't turn up. There was no urgency from them to win the ball back when I had possession, they kicked the ball out of play when it wasn't necessary, they had just a few shots on goal, but most of them went wide.

In the next match, I played Leyton Orient at home in the EFL cup. In this match, my players were sluggish and took heavy touches on the ball, which essentially made them useless in the final 3rd of the pitch because the CPU players had so much time to close them down. This was in stark contrast to my previous match against Everton where my players could control the ball well and move with freedom. This was only the 3rd match of the season, so players having low energy wasn't an issue.

I cannot see Fifa's AI getting revamped for Fifa 18. It's been this way for so long, EA aren't suddenly going to change things next year. It's a real damn shame because Career Mode could be incredible if it had good AI and unique team playing styles.

Last edited:
Did anyone else get a two-question survey from EA this morning?

I thought it was telling - the two questions were... A) How would you score the game out of 10, and B) why.

I see that as a sign - perhaps the retention rate (i.e. the people still playing the game after purchase) has seen a big drop-off and the business team are concerned it's a quality issue. (I don't recall getting it last year.)

(Spoiler: my answers were "1" and "because all you really did this year was upgrade to Frostbite and the gameplay has suffered during that process, it's not as responsive and all AI teams still play to the difficulty level rather than their management, and all online games are ping-pong".)

Did anyone else get a two-question survey from EA this morning?

I thought it was telling - the two questions were... A) How would you score the game out of 10, and B) why.

I see that as a sign - perhaps the retention rate (i.e. the people still playing the game after purchase) has seen a big drop-off and the business team are concerned it's a quality issue. (I don't recall getting it last year.)

(Spoiler: my answers were "1" and "because all you really did this year was upgrade to Frostbite and the gameplay has suffered during that process, it's not as responsive and all AI teams still play to the difficulty level rather than their management, and all online games are ping-pong".)
Wish I did...

Didn't get it. Must say i'm not playing this game at all. Matt10 sliders are a very good improvement but somehow i don't play. This is the edition i've played the least. When i do play it's usually only 1 game. I never have that "1 more game" feeling.

This is what I got:

6rMZ7Y5.png

I'd give the link but it's a unique ID and if you try to visit it, you get a "survey already completed" message. Dang.

Didn't get it. Must say i'm not playing this game at all. Matt10 sliders are a very good improvement but somehow i don't play. This is the edition i've played the least. When i do play it's usually only 1 game. I never have that "1 more game" feeling.

Same here. It's a shame because I really enjoyed FIFA 16, my favorite FIFA to date, and I had high hopes for this years game.

Back
Top Bottom