FIFA 17 News & Discussion Thread

I gave it a 4. A polished turd comes to mind.

Most infuriating football experience ever. Did enjoy the journey as it was something different. Been playing Ultimate Team and not finding it fun at all. Just so much ping pong passing and silly skill moves. Scripting is so evident, seems whatever you do you cannot turn a result around whatever you try.

Also free on Xbox,gave it a go as Liverpool,since they/me plays the same.
Well...looks good,real good,played with the latest OS slider set.
I'll leave it at that.
But free for xb1 aswell
Enjoy

Why do EA insist on making Zlatan as quick as Usan Bolt.
The guy has never been quick.
Player individuality is still not there in FIFA

That's something they really need to work on. We need more control over team tactics and more difference between teams and players. That's the only way to increase replayability.

FIFA needs unique PlayerID and TeamsID urgently like ASAP.

Agree.

Also, they need to get rid of the rubberband AI as well. It makes playing CM a complete bore and chore. From one match to the next, you don't know if your players will be quick and super responsive or playing like drunks who've only had 4 hours sleep.

I'm trying the free trial too. I was really impressed that the players feel a lot heavier now. The physics are great. And the midfield is nicely congested. Great positional sense from the players too, and intelligent runs. It looks like a football match is taking place.

But good grief, playing against the AI is awful. I go 1-0 up and the AI, already down to 10 men, decides it has to score an equalizer. Suddenly it strings together five "driven" passes together from the kick off, faster than the Starship Enterprise, which looks completely unnatural, and bam, goal. It just looks so ludicrous. The use of the driven pass from the AI is hilarious. If you're 1-0 up in any game, you feel like you're marking time until the AI decides it has to score, and resorts to the driven pass to get into your box, when the striker will morph his right leg 180 degrees

And what is the point of making a football game without any team or player ID? Seriously?

I'd say the "player ID" (I hate this term) is actually pretty good in recent FIFAs. The difference in first touches and passes is especially noticeable if you have the sliders for those set fairly high, I personally use mid 60s for both. I think actually the game does a good job of replicating players' technical and to some extent physical abilities, but mental not so much. Players don't move or make the same decisions they do in real life, PES is better at that with the player cards and stats like aggression and teamwork (or was, until they removed them... great idea).

The AI has a lot of flaws though, some of which are incredibly frustrating and others make it too easy to play against. The tiki-taka is fucking ridiculous and every team plays out from the back in a way that 2011 Barca would be envious of. I think you can mitigate this to an extent with team tactics but I can't be bothered to change everyone, and I shouldn't have to. Unlike PES, the FIFA AI feels so robotic at times and it's very annoying to play versus. It ain't fun.

On the other side, everyone is way too agile across the board too and the defensive AI is shit, too easy to turn on a dime and dribble multiple players with any player. Lack of fouls ties into this, would be interesting if a game added a "professional foul" feature to be honest. Game favours the attacker too much offline and online.

Still like this game a lot. Best FIFA to date and trumps the recent PES games, in my opinion. The low driven shot is pretty sick.

Last edited:
During my trial with FIFA I had a lot of fun with Hazard on the wing. So yes, player ID is there, it just doesn't affect the game enough as a whole.

Let me give you an example. Apologies for mentioning PES here but I have to, to illustrate my point. In PES I played as Leeds v Newcastle. I knew that Newcastle have a good midfield and that my Leeds team have a really tall striker in Chris Wood. Set I set the tactics to "centring target" and positioned the second striker to be close to Wood. My main tactic was to use the full backs to hit early, long balls into the box, where Wood caused havoc. I didn't score a goal from that, but it created some chances. And it denied Newcastle's midfield the chance of getting the ball.

In FIFA you just can't recreate that kind of football tactic. You have to play possession football, no matter what team you're playing as, and what team you're playing against. And that's why, after a few matches, I found it boring.

yeah but both games fall in the same category as PES comes short with the variation of goal and player ID when it comes to shooting and passing. at least FIFA has variation there....but yeah in the mean time in all other aspects not much difference between players and teams altough PES got those

again...we got the same type of footy games this year. no matter which one you play if you seek simulation/player id/team id based game, there is no full package on the market.

basically they offer the same experience

Well gave the FIFA trial a go because I was getting fed up of the stale, lifeless PES shooting and enjoyed it so much I bought it. What a refreshing change to score some beautifully realistic goals.
Spot on mate. The shooting in FIFA for me is MILES better than PES. In PES it feels dumbed down and predictable even when I use Manual shooting. In fact I find I scored more goals with Manual shooting on in PES compared to Assisted!

However.... Having said all of this FIFA.... good god. For the very last time I will list my issues with the game.

1) The pace of the game is FAR TOO FAST! Sure I can change that for single player game modes but not for Online where I do a large chunk of my gaming these days.
2) Tactical defending is useless and broken. I play online and anyone who has pacey strong attackers will waltz past my defenders with ease no matter how I try and use the Tactical Defending system and will score the same shitty roy of the rovers goals! pisses me right off everytime!
3) There is an over emphasis on strength and pace in the game. Some players are untouchable in the game and its just crap. The whole experience in FIFA to me in 17 feels like a dumbed down arcade game for kids.

After reading this (and after not playing PES for a few days due to burnout from all the editing), I thought I'd give it another go.

There's so much great stuff in there - every touch feels a little different. But.

I 100% can't play the game. I regret buying a digital copy because I truly, truly hate it.

The AI whirl around the ball like ballerinas when you put a defender on them. It looks MENTAL, it's a million miles away from realistic, it breaks up any potential flow because the game stops and starts while they dance around in circles and take two steps one way, then two steps the other way and stop again - and the fact that 9 times out of 10 it's impossible to regain possession when they start doing it, makes me ANGRIER THAN ANY FOOTBALL GAME I'VE EVER PLAYED FUCK OFF FUCK OFF FUCK OFFFFFFFF. (I'm this angry just remembering it.)

Also - and I've said this about the previous games too - how come they play completely differently on World Class to Legendary? On World Class every team plays tiki-taka, on Legendary they don't. Legendary is slower, and a better experience. But even then, every game ends with the exact same pass accuracy stats (85%-95%) and possession stats (over 50%), no matter who I play against.

Almost everything else about the gameplay, I love. The physics, the way attributes are more strictly adhered to (i.e. if you try and do something that a player isn't capable of, he'll do it very badly). But my God. The AI is a sack of shit, but worse, it's been like this for two console generations (except without the ridiculous shielding up to now).

Last edited:
I cant believe that there is still lag when two players offline are in formation menu! You cant easily go left-right etc when both players edit their lineup or formation! So frustrating!!!

I enjoyed the demo for a couple of games then hated it. Just the way the AI plays is extremely frustrating and fatiguing. But played the full game at a mates place and it was fantastic vs another human offline. Might be decent online too. If I didn't have a few games and movies to catch up on from my pile of shame, I'd buy it for online but happy just to play it with my mate every few weeks.

Pah the difference is night and day between the two footy titles. Fifa is far superior, i dont understand peoples problems with the game. yes its not perfect by any stretch but it plays a decent game with the options available and the variety of shots, scrambles, errors, tackles etc makes no two games the same, compared to Pes which has a lot of the same stuff going on. Horses for courses i guess.

After reading this (and after not playing PES for a few days due to burnout from all the editing), I thought I'd give it another go.

There's so much great stuff in there - every touch feels a little different. But.

I 100% can't play the game. I regret buying a digital copy because I truly, truly hate it.

The AI whirl around the ball like ballerinas when you put a defender on them. It looks MENTAL, it's a million miles away from realistic, it breaks up any potential flow because the game stops and starts while they dance around in circles and take two steps one way, then two steps the other way and stop again - and the fact that 9 times out of 10 it's impossible to regain possession when they start doing it, makes me ANGRIER THAN ANY FOOTBALL GAME I'VE EVER PLAYED FUCK OFF FUCK OFF FUCK OFFFFFFFF. (I'm this angry just remembering it.)

Also - and I've said this about the previous games too - how come they play completely differently on World Class to Legendary? On World Class every team plays tiki-taka, on Legendary they don't. Legendary is slower, and a better experience. But even then, every game ends with the exact same pass accuracy stats (85%-95%) and possession stats (over 50%), no matter who I play against.

Almost everything else about the gameplay, I love. The physics, the way attributes are more strictly adhered to (i.e. if you try and do something that a player isn't capable of, he'll do it very badly). But my God. The AI is a sack of shit, but worse, it's been like this for two console generations (except without the ridiculous shielding up to now).
Not sure why you just dont play on professional and use the sliders to tweak the balancing? You on manual? I dont get some of the problems you are experiencing. Sure i have difficulty winning some games but thats usually down to my own mistakes.

Not sure why you just dont play on professional and use the sliders to tweak the balancing? You on manual? I dont get some of the problems you are experiencing. Sure i have difficulty winning some games but thats usually down to my own mistakes.
The AI is toothless on Professional - I can't use the sliders to make it a challenge because the difficulty level is the overriding factor in the AI's style of play, as shown by World Class being a different game from Legendary (the same team will move the ball around entirely differently on either difficulty, which shows how little team individuality there is anyway). You can't just put shooting/passing accuracy to 100 and fix that - their decision-making (which there's no slider for) is terrible, and so they gift you possession by running into you etc...

The problem I have isn't in experiencing "difficulty winning some games", it's in trying to press an opponent and A) my player refusing to break into the invisible circle around the opponent, B) the opponent moving in circles around the ball in a daft-looking, entirely unrealistic and endlessly frustrating fashion (it's like playing online against someone who passes to a defender with 90+ strength and then holds onto the "shield" button for 90 minutes - I play against the AI almost entirely to avoid such wankers).

Every pass feels unique, every shot too, and the game is outstanding in many areas. But I can't get past it being frustrating and boring to play, against the AI and against another person online (the button lag, which was non-existent last year, is frustrating as hell too).

Just my opinion, and I can certainly see why someone would fall in love with what the game does well. But for me, AI is the backbone - while every match has the same tempo and patterns, I can't play it. The frustration is that it's been like this for years, and will probably be the same next year. Offline players tend to buy the game no matter what, and there's no card packs for us to buy, so what do they care.

The AI is toothless on Professional - I can't use the sliders to make it a challenge because the difficulty level is the overriding factor in the AI's style of play, as shown by World Class being a different game from Legendary (the same team will move the ball around entirely differently on either difficulty, which shows how little team individuality there is anyway). You can't just put shooting/passing accuracy to 100 and fix that - their decision-making (which there's no slider for) is terrible, and so they gift you possession by running into you etc...

The problem I have isn't in experiencing "difficulty winning some games", it's in trying to press an opponent and A) my player refusing to break into the invisible circle around the opponent, B) the opponent moving in circles around the ball in a daft-looking, entirely unrealistic and endlessly frustrating fashion (it's like playing online against someone who passes to a defender with 90+ strength and then holds onto the "shield" button for 90 minutes - I play against the AI almost entirely to avoid such wankers).

Every pass feels unique, every shot too, and the game is outstanding in many areas. But I can't get past it being frustrating and boring to play, against the AI and against another person online (the button lag, which was non-existent last year, is frustrating as hell too).

Just my opinion, and I can certainly see why someone would fall in love with what the game does well. But for me, AI is the backbone - while every match has the same tempo and patterns, I can't play it. The frustration is that it's been like this for years, and will probably be the same next year. Offline players tend to buy the game no matter what, and there's no card packs for us to buy, so what do they care.

I agree with this. AI should be a focus in FIFA 18 for me to buy FIFA again. We are heading to 2017 with such a straight-minded static cheaty AI when even PES 5 had better AI decades ago.

More than just the AI! Make the pace of the game more realistic for starters!! Also balance it out so its not all about Pace and Power... Make it so that Defending if you can master a good working system actually works and you feel that you stand a chance if you know you can defend well.

Overall make the physics tighter, make the players feel heavier rather than slippery and light. Also make it so that tactics and player form have a BIG impact on how your team plays and how the AI plays against you.... make it so that the AI understands the strengths and weaknesses of its squad and the form of its players so it selects the best team it can..... :) not asking much but I think this is FAR more important than just tweaking the AI a bit.

Guys, if you're having a hard time with the AI, try to use a second controller/keyboard and change the default tactics in the match to the custom tactics. After that, switch the controller back to the CPU, and the changes will stick. I do this right before kick off and have been having absolutely tremendous matches.

Remember before you get frustrated, FIFA's DNA is built on Dribble-Dribble-Dribble-Pass in that order. This year the CTT's actually work, so take advantage of it :) .

Back
Top Bottom