FIFA 17 News & Discussion Thread

The AI's substitution logic in general is bugged... For some reason, the game is greatly favoring CDMs for CM slots
Interesting post. Something to try: edit the formation and use the adjust player position feature to ensure the game is reading those positions as CM and not CDM. Example: With teams using a 2-FW formation, the default positions are ST and ST. But if the team has LWs that are rated higher than the STs, I manually adjust the left ST position so that it's redesignated and renamed as LW and not ST.

Last edited:
Still no fouls
I read this and then fired up a game to see if I could cause the CPU to foul me. And I was able to do so within the first few minutes, by walking the ball around. If you run run run the CPU can never catch up to foul you. You have to slow the game down to allow the CPU to challenge you, and when you do that it will foul you. That said I have had a good number of fouls running and approaching the 18 yard box - the CPU panics and takes my feet out or blocks me out, drawing a foul.

But there are fewer fouls this year for sure, I guess the coding was changed when they shifted over to Frostbite.

Last edited:
Interesting post. Something to try: edit the formation and use the adjust player position feature to ensure the game is reading those positions as CM and not CDM.

Unfortunately, the same issue occurs even when manually designating a CM/RCM/LCM slot. The interesting thing is that in past FIFAs the CM was the most flexible central midfielder position when it came to the AI's lineup selection logic. A CM with high passing and chance creation attributes could often be selected ahead of a lower rated CAM in the CAM slot, and one with high defensive attributes could likewise fill the CDM slot ahead of lesser rated CDMs. The CAMs were always the most problematic when it came to selection logic when the assigned formation did not feature a designated CAM slot. This is why I would alter each team's default formation to include at least one CAM slot, and I would change any CDM slot to a CM slot (with defensive instructions) in order to maximize the chances that a team would start its best central midfielders. FIFA's lineup selection logic has always been a bit clumsy and inflexible, but this year's edition is flat out sloppy when it comes to choosing players for certain positions. To make matters worse, the game's edit and create player function still does not allow one to change an individual player's position to straight CM. Converting all the CDMs into CMs would have been a decent, albeit very tedious, workaround.

Example: With teams using a 2-FW formation, the default positions are ST and ST. But if the team has LWs that are rated higher than the STs, I manually adjust the left ST position so that it's redesignated and renamed as LW and not ST.

Yep. Designating one of the forward slots as LF/RF seems to ensure compatibility for wingers as well, although I can't recall how the AI prioritizes strikers for those positions. My aim when fiddling with a team's default formation is to maximize the chances of the AI selecting its best players while still respecting the spirit of the team's original formation.

FIFA 17 is far, farrr too automated for me. Feels like I'm only guiding players toward actions rather than having direct input into them. Maybe I haven't mastered it, yet I continue to win online as my opponent seems just as clumsy as me as we both aimlessly bundle-in goals.

FIFA 15 was undoubtedly an unbalanced mess at times, but it had such an abundance of player freedom it gave huge satisfaction when a dribble, last ditch tackle, or slick passing move materialised.

In contrast nothing in '17 feels risky, if you stay contained someone will get a foot in, if you make safe passes into feet you'll eventually get a shooting opportunity. I'm perhaps only 20 hours of playtime in yet have stopped seeing new sequences of play.

What frustrates me most is I suspect it was designed this way. A leveller that's accessible for all players. The complete 180 on the passing accuracy design from last year confirms that.

Ultimately it looks lovely but is shallow as fuck. And this is from someone who has really enjoyed the last 3 iterations and applauded EA's development. Downloading latest PES so hope that offers something but not optimistic. Would be the first year since 2012 without a footy game preference.

Classic La Liga kits have disappeared from EAS FC Catalogue (Barca, Valencia, Atletico etc.) and they aren't in the game anymore. Can You guys check it how is it in Yours game and confirm it?

FIFA 17 is far, farrr too automated for me. Feels like I'm only guiding players toward actions rather than having direct input into them. Maybe I haven't mastered it, yet I continue to win online as my opponent seems just as clumsy as me as we both aimlessly bundle-in goals.

FIFA 15 was undoubtedly an unbalanced mess at times, but it had such an abundance of player freedom it gave huge satisfaction when a dribble, last ditch tackle, or slick passing move materialised.

In contrast nothing in '17 feels risky, if you stay contained someone will get a foot in, if you make safe passes into feet you'll eventually get a shooting opportunity. I'm perhaps only 20 hours of playtime in yet have stopped seeing new sequences of play.

What frustrates me most is I suspect it was designed this way. A leveller that's accessible for all players. The complete 180 on the passing accuracy design from last year confirms that.

Ultimately it looks lovely but is shallow as fuck. And this is from someone who has really enjoyed the last 3 iterations and applauded EA's development. Downloading latest PES so hope that offers something but not optimistic. Would be the first year since 2012 without a footy game preference.
I didn't like PES 2017 at first but stick with it, it's one of the best football games I have ever played. FIFA has the presentation and Premier League feel but PES nails the gameplay this year.

Decided to buy Fifa 17 becouse of the gameplay similarity with Fifa 16 which is first Fifa I liked. Started the game and set Olympia stadium in Berlin at sunset... omg that feeling and graphics look so real and authentic that I don`t want this match to end, like watching how sun is bathing above stadium. Of course every game has some negativities but presentation and that real feeling is amazing. I like gameplay of pes but only in exhibition games, in master league game became unreal, even the last team of the league play like champions and give you hard time but not in a real way. I like sliders in fifa becouse I can slow down the game and force midfield battles, actually I saw that immediately, for eg. Porto played pressing around whole pitch, Chelsea give you opportunity to build chances but their defense is rock hard to break, so variety is there and I like it. Can someone tell me some tips on tactical defending? Don`t want to use legacy becouse I want more control, so some suggestions will be welcomed :)

Can someone tell me some tips on tactical defending? Don`t want to use legacy becouse I want more control, so some suggestions will be welcomed :)
Because the default player position spacing in FIFA is unrealistic and too wide-open, the best tips are: lower lines sliders to force more teammates back to help defend; use the d-pad tactics and set team play to defensive; edit your formation and player assignments to create whatever level of defensive play you prefer.

Also, if you play on WC or Legendary, the AI boosts the CPU gets on those difficulty levels turns defending into a headache-inducing game of whack-a-mole. Slide tackling becomes impossible because the CPU psychically anticipates your every move, and simply zips away in the opposite direction. Add to that the overdone CPU granite-wall shielding and you may as well stop trying altogether. Park the bus and get as many defenders as possible blocking your goal, and just wait for the CPU to shoot.

On Pro and lower, the CPU stops all the psychic dribbling and goofy shielding, and slide tackling becomes possible and effective. Best suggestion is to play on Pro, then adjust sliders to re-balance the difficulty to suit.

Last edited:
Much better after the update!!! I think there is bigger ball, better clearances in corners with headers, better attacking ai on legendary!!!

Although im not playing FIFA much right now as im on PES i played 5 or 6 games on legendary and noticed right away the CPU are more aggressive on the attack i think ill be happy to start a career mode now as the AI before update were lifeless

do you guys notice how 180 degrees/no look passes are so accurate in this fifa. last year passing like that would not hit its intended target. crazy how ea managed to reintroduce blind passes this year. this is a big problem online for me, looks totally bs

Last edited:
Handballs for penalties are still broken; I have averaged 1 handball penalty per game so I had to turn them off (handballs on except for penalties).

I get maybe one handball penalty ever 4-5 games, it's fine to me.

do you guys notice how 180 degrees/no look passes are so accurate in this fifa. last year passing like that would not hit its intended target. crazy how ea managed to reintroduce blind passes this year. this is a big problem online for me, looks totally bs

Nope, I play on all manual with League 2 players, if I try to make a 180 degree no look pass my players whack it out of play and fall over.

Has this game become extremely fast after the patch. Is it just me?
It's just you. The game is excactly the same with better shooting input lag, really better CPU IA, no more slowdown in training game.
Well done EA!! The scoreboards of PL are awesome!! I have the game on XBOX One and PS4

But is the game speed on Normal still too fast (I used to use Tele Broadcast Camera fully zoomed out and it was far too fast)? Is it still easy for Kids to dance around your Defenders with Messi, Bale and Ronaldo online? Is the Cross, Header, Goal still overpowering?

But is the game speed on Normal still too fast (I used to use Tele Broadcast Camera fully zoomed out and it was far too fast)? Is it still easy for Kids to dance around your Defenders with Messi, Bale and Ronaldo online? Is the Cross, Header, Goal still overpowering?
Fire up the game, go online, and then come back and tell us. And what is "too fast" for you, and how can anyone other than yourself possibly answer a question like that?

Sliders can only achieve so much. The fundamentals are still hugely flawed in FIFA 17. It doesn't matter how long you spend playing with sliders, it won't change the fact that the CPU still plays mind numbingly unrealistic football.

Sliders can only achieve so much. The fundamentals are still hugely flawed in FIFA 17. It doesn't matter how long you spend playing with sliders, it won't change the fact that the CPU still plays mind numbingly unrealistic football.

In what way? I played one game of the demo and couldn't be arsed.

I loved Fifa 16. I also am loving PES 2017, and have in mind buying FIFA 17 when I get the PS Pro. Is it just shit? Do Matt's slider's not help so much?

I don't play online, I play Career mode more than anything. Ideally slow speed, manual shooting.

In what way? I played one game of the demo and couldn't be arsed.

I loved Fifa 16. I also am loving PES 2017, and have in mind buying FIFA 17 when I get the PS Pro. Is it just shit? Do Matt's slider's not help so much?

I don't play online, I play Career mode more than anything. Ideally slow speed, manual shooting.

I have given FIFA 17 a really good play (I have even bought it twice!). But I really don't like it - I think I've gone off the FIFA series now, the matches play out far too similiar and even in slow, transitions between defending and attacking are still too fast.

There are many guys here who love it so don't take my opinion as gospel because at the end of the day, it's just my opinion. But no, I don't like FIFA 17 at all.

I find that the sliders will fix one aspect but break another. EA include sliders to cover their arses - they KNOW that the game is too fast and they cater for the FUT kiddies so they whack that in to try and please the 'thinking man'. But the sliders don't make the gameplay enjoyable for me - the game still doesn't feel right, not like a realistic game of football.

I have given FIFA 17 a really good play (I have even bought it twice!). But I really don't like it - I think I've gone off the FIFA series now, the matches play out far too similiar and even in slow, transitions between defending and attacking are still too fast.

There are many guys here who love it so don't take my opinion as gospel because at the end of the day, it's just my opinion. But no, I don't like FIFA 17 at all.

I find that the sliders will fix one aspect but break another. EA include sliders to cover their arses - they KNOW that the game is too fast and they cater for the FUT kiddies so they whack that in to try and please the 'thinking man'. But the sliders don't make the gameplay enjoyable for me - the game still doesn't feel right, not like a realistic game of football.
You bought it twice? In just under a month???

You bought it twice? In just under a month???

I pre-ordered it from Shop-To, played it, loved it for 5 minutes and then sold the bugger to CEX.

Then at the weekend my wife bought it for me from Argos as a surprise, so I thought I'd give it a second chance. I hate it even more than the first time now!

Back
Top Bottom