FIFA 16 News & Discussion Thread

Update: sorry, nothing major, I simply slightly increased the Line Length and Width sliders.
Nothing dramatic, but the CPU should be a little less passive and also cover the wings a little more, while still avoiding the problems we encountered when I raised those sliders way too much in the past -- at least, I hope.

The post with the links above has also been updated.

Au revoir :))

Finally got to play a test match after applying all those tweaks blind.

Won't tell what my personal observations are, positive and negative -- not yet, at least. Don't wanna influence any who would like to play some games themselves :SAL:

PS: Yeah, I know, who would watch a 55 minute video...? Didn't have the time to trim it, I was in Bergamo today -- sadly, Atalanta were playing at Parma though

Cheers :))

I'll watch it. :) I see you finally got it recording without jerkiness.

I'm Gameplayzing my game now with the newest and starting a proper Copa Tournament. :)

Not going to report it this time though. Too much work.

Ahah, thanks! Also, thanks again, and to Pap too, for suggesting GeForce Experience :TU:

Remember to double check your Sliders and cl.ini to make sure you use the latest ones too ;))

And don't hold back on your "status report" -- the moment I stop making "mistakes", is the moment I stop improving :))

I see you have improved their penalty abilities. Amazing. I also added Ezequiel Garay to Copa America 2016 Argentina squad. For some reason he was missing. After he put stone faced penalty in against Netherlands he became my favorite player. Just like Julio Olarticoechea back in 1990 semifinal against Italy... he just chew gum and looked like it was just another day in the office. :D

5:00 here

About the penalties, I hope they aren't as weak as before indeed :))

Hoping it's not too much bother, it would be helpful if you would refer to the "Changes to the players" spreadsheet in the release post above, and also all other edits to Sliders, cl.ini... so you know what to look for specifically.
As I wrote before, I already have some ideas on some of those things after my Leicester game, while still having doubts on others, so hearing other opinions would really give me a clearer picture :))

No pressure, huh? :APPLAUD:

Yeah of course I'll post all my stats pages after the game and give feedback about the gameplay. I meant that I'm not doing a full story report thread this time.

Main slider changes seem to be the line width and fullback positioning. I changed those. Let's see how it plays against Chile. Report within an hour. :)

Line Height, Shot Error, GK Ability too I'd say, maybe others, while Fullback Positioning is still the same, sorry I can't remember :THINK:

Last edited:
What an amazing game. I was so excited that I forgot to take the stats sheet but nothing unusual there... good amount of fouls. This was a 0-0 game but then at '93 Messi got a free kick and put it in. Soooo amazing feeling.

I had to record it.

My observation (generally): The best way to fine tune the difficulty is simply to adjust the pass error slider to your advantage... or for the CPU's advantage. If you're getting too good I'd just lower the user pass error value to make the crosses more difficult.

This is just an incredible football game with all these settings. The commentators are starting to get old though. I wonder if I could add Spanish commentator there... or Italian. There is no such option in the settings menu. Well there is the commentary language but it's blacked and you can't change that.

:THINK: Weird... I was certain you'd reject this version, as I found many negative things myself.

Ok, then if you please, I'd like you to answer these questions for me:
  • Did you use the latest Sliders and cl.ini? It only takes 1 minute to compare and eventually update them in your game. You see, if I update some slider but you don't (or tweak it to your pleasure), and then give me your impressions -- they may be wrong, and I may make some unneeded adjustments in the end. I don't wanna force you to play as I do, but if you're willing to test, I'm afraid I'm gonna need you to use the exact values. See what I mean? :))
  • I reduced Strength -- while it may help with fouls, I noticed that players fall over way too much for the slightest of touches that it's ridiculous. I'm considering reverting it to default because of that, just lowering Balance is enough. Did you see that too?
  • I increased Marking -- I remember you had your reservations about that before so I didn't increase it as much, still I believe they are too perfect, they don't challenge you as much, so again I'm considering leaving it as it was.
  • I lowered Interceptions -- I did it also because of my lower Pass Speed in the Sliders, but I don't know if it does any good or not. If you did increase your Pass Speed, then I can't ask you about it I'm afraid.
  • I lowered Curve and FK Accuracy -- I did it because I thought FKs were overpowered, but now I'm seeing some pretty obvious FKs going way into the stands. I understand it happens IRL, but maybe now it happens too much? What did you see?
  • I reduced GK Kicking, GK Diving and GK Reflexes -- I noticed that even with the GK Ability slider at 12 or 15, GKs were god-like, so I also reduced those 3 values in the DB (only the last 2 matter for this). I believe they are way too weak now, from what I've seen, so maybe I should still reduce these attributes, but not as much. Your thoughts?
Saludos :))

I used the latest sliders and latest cl.ini, yes.

Players fall down in real football a lot. I didn't find that increase bad at all.

I just played one game. Impossible to say. Next I'll have a weaker opponent. Let's see how it goes.

About free kicks... well I scored a free kick by Messi.

Personally, I never felt the goalies were too good. If we want more 1-0 and 2-1 games instead of constant 4-3 scorefests (like in modern PES games) I think they SHOULD be pretty good.

I used the latest sliders and latest cl.ini, yes.
Ok, thanks. And sorry for doubting you :))

Players fall down in real football a lot. I didn't find that increase bad at all.
True, but what I've seen is players falling unrealistically all over the place just by slightly bumping into them. Look at my video, you'll see what I mean :))

About free kicks... well I scored a free kick by Messi.
Well... it's Messi. In my video, Leicester's Okazaki sends a FK out of the stadium (I was Arsenal) :DD

Personally, I never felt the goalies were too good. If we want more 1-0 and 2-1 games instead of constant 4-3 scorefests (like in modern PES games) I think they SHOULD be pretty good.
They shouldn't be robotically over-the-top either, and that's what they were in my opinion. Still, with the GK ratings lowered dramatically, you played a 0-0 game with Chile right until the end, so I'm afraid your argument won't stand :PP

Little update: I'm also working on Player Traits now (not all of them yet, but the ones related to the tweaks I did so far). I remember @Madmac79 proposed it back in the day :))

So far I have:
  • Applied Selfish to ALL outfield players (let's see if they ping-pong the ball less)
  • Removed Second Wind (not realistic to automatically gain some stamina in the 75th minute)
  • Re-assigned Early Crosser to specific wingers ONLY if their default Crossing and Curve are both at least 70 (too many rushed crosses)
  • Re-assigned Flair to CMs up to STs ONLY if they have 5* Skill Moves and at least 4* Weak Foot (was seeing too many 360° backheel passes by random players otherwise)
  • Removed GK Puncher (due to reducing GK Handling already)

There's another interesting trait, Inflexibility. It causes a player to play worse if they aren't in their preferred position.
Now, fifaCCitiu removes the players' Preferred Positions 3 and 4 with the Gameplayzer (did you ever notice? :)))). I think I can see why he did that, but I have some alternatives:
  • Leave default Positions 3 and 4 untouched
  • Replace them with similar/related positions (eg: we can add CF or CAM to a ST, so he can play lower or replace the CAM if needed, etc.)
  • A combination of both
You should also know that managerai.ini controls the likelihood of a player being chosen for the starting 11 based on his Preferred Positions from 1 to 4, and we can increase/decrease that likelihood according to what we decide to do

Nice to hear mate! I think individuality is already kinda problematic as it is to give out the traits to practically anybody as it was in the original db work. In fact I've never understood the motivations of the guy that designed it like this, if anything it risks to flatten out players behaviour even more. Your idea of assigning traits with a more specific criteria surely sounds more interesting!

Can't play atm by the way! Inflamed forearm after an heavy workout week, I'm trying to avoid giving it more stress with the gamepad. Hope it gets better soon!

Ouch! I know something about that! Yes, resting it is the best option. Get well soon! :TU:

About Traits, yep. To be honest, I didn't really think about individuality until you brought it up. It does make sense.

Apart from Selfish to everybody (which maybe does make the players ping-pong the ball less from my latest testing match), only ~140 players total now have either Early Crosser and/or Flair, out of 21.000+ (before, at least 3.000+ players got them.)
Most of the Traits can be assigned more specifically like this, as I believe they too are player style specific.
Traits like Diver or Dives into Tackles, on the other hand, maybe can be assigned to virtually everybody (as they already are now), simply to create more foul situations, as I'm seeing no negative effects from having them like this.

Whew, ok, daily report :))

Just finished going through all ~3000 lines of code of the Gameplayzer: now I know what fifaCCitiu did and why, and while I was at it I did some basic edits too:
  • I temporarily reverted Preferred Positions 3 and 4 to their default assignments -- so players who originally had them, now have them again. We will need to decide if giving players additional related positions is realistic or not, also considering the Inflexibility trait I told you about yesterday (it looks like that playing a player out of position doesn't matter by default?)
  • There was an inactivated Referee formula, which I turned on. Apparently, there's a stylecode value that supposedly controls the "global" strictness independently from Foul and Card Strictness, according to fifaCCitiu's posts about it on Soccergaming. I set it to 2 (the max), will see what it does.
Tomorrow I'll start scouring the web for additional suggestions, beginning with everyeye.it.

AczkHMQ.png
Hqa9486.png
RU2mQJq.png

Played 3 test matches with the current settings, I was Everton, Hoffenheim and Malaga respectively.

The stylecode value in the Referee table seems to work (unless it's placebo).
Now refs whistle some (not many) fouls that may be blown calls (as in real life), and after applying the Diver and Dives into Tackles traits to all players, you'll see players falling sometimes after getting a hand in the face or being stomped on the foot, and sometimes the referee will buy it.

The Selfish trait to everybody helps in reducing the frenetic pass-pass-pass (unless the team you're playing against has the tiki-taka tactic, so no negative effect there).
Even with these traits applied to everyone, individuality, as far as I could see, is still there (within the limits of this game's engine) -- the very few players with high Agility/Skill Moves/Flair/etc, such as CR7 or Modric, do stand out from the rest and may attempt some trick sometimes.

One final observation: remember when I posted Arsenal v Leicester and said I didn't like many things? Well, after making the necessary corrections, now I like it very much.
It's not perfect and it never will be, some things probably need some more tweaking, but I am really happy with what I've seen so far.

PS: As you can see, Real Madrid fouled me only 2 times -- the stronger the team, the less the fouls. I believe I did everything in my power to increase fouls to a reasonable level. If I were to do something more in that aspect, like increasing Aggression or reducing Strength, it will become too much arcadey and worse than vanilla.

PS2: How can you people find this game easy? Look at the stats, I was hugely outshot, with just a couple shots myself :PP

Hey guys!

Couldn't do anything significant today, was busy (plus it was raining too :RANT:)

The only tweaks I made were to Traits:
  • Long Shot Taker: a lot of players (~70%) had this trait, and of course I was seeing way too many forced shots from outside the box. I made it that only players with Shot Power >= 85 and Long Shots >= 70 have this trait now, only about 240 total -- since later in the Gameplayzer I increase Shot Power by 30% still, there should be enough long shots but not that many. If not, I'll lower the cutoff values for this Trait.
  • Flair: same criteria as before (high Skill Moves and Weak Foot), but now I removed the position limitation which only included players from MFs up -- I mean, Marcelo is a DF, yes? :DD
And that's it for today ;))

Damn that was a tough game. :( I lost the second group stage game to... uhh... Panama.

osL090B.jpg

The only thing... I think the fatigue is very extreme now... if anything I wouldn't increase it from these levels anymore. But very enjoyable game nevertheless. CPU tries long balls a lot which is very realistic.

Gonna play the last group stage game now. :)

@El Pajaro: fatigue is at the maximum I'm willing to have, so no worries about that. I don't think it's extreme, for example a winger that sprints all match should be exhausted (in the "red") after 90 minutes, you see many having cramps in real life, yet it still happens rarely even with these Stamina tweaks.

@final lap: glad you like it. And you should thank the FUT players for that -- even Vanilla FIFA 16 from v1.02 onward is more and more catered for online, more arcade play.

Usual daily update :))

Still can't bring myself to do the huge data scouring just yet, @El Pajaro knows I can be quite lazy sometimes -- so I decided to do some "basic" Traits tweaking just as I did with the Attributes for now, before doing the final, total overhaul.

• Inflexible Trait: Applied to all players // Ratings should drop if playing out of position, and if a player has them high enough, then he should be able to still play good
  • Selfish Trait: Applied to all players // It helps reducing the frenetic pass-pass-pass mentality while not destroying player individuality
  • Second Wind Trait: Removed // Not realistic to magically recover Stamina after 75 minutes
  • Diver Trait: Applied to all players // Players should fall more, even simulating sometimes, causing more fouls
  • Dives into Tackles Trait: Applied to all players // Players should tackle more
  • Avoids Using Weaker Foot Trait: Only if 1*-2* Weak Foot // Self-explanatory
  • Speed Dribbler Trait: Removed // This trait causes players to move unrealistically faster and arcadey while dribbling, so I didn't even assign it to the very few players with high Agility, I want them to stand out, but still in a realistic way
  • Playmaker Trait: Only if Vision and Short Passing >= 85 // We don't want everyone to be Pirlo
  • Long Passer Trait: Only if Vision and Long Passing >= 70 // Same as above, but with reduced cutoff values because some players still like to play the long ball (eg: Bonucci)
  • Beat Offside Trap Trait: Only FWs if Sprint Speed and Acceleration >= 70 // It makes sense for only FWs to have this trait, but if they have the right pace, let's see if offsides increase to a realistic number
  • Long Shot Taker Trait: Only if Shot Power and Long Shots >= 70 // Too many players had this trait, now only a few actually like to take a crack from outside the box
  • Power Free Kick Trait: Only if Shot Power >= 85 and Free Kick Accuracy >= 70 // Self-explanatory
  • Finesse Shot Trait: Removed // What this trait does is giving a player 99 Curve all the time, which causes finesse shots to be unbelievably OP, so it's been taken out
  • Power Header Trait: Only if Heading >= 90 // Self-explanatory
  • Early Crosser Trait: Only specific winger styles if Crossing and Curve >= 70 // Was seeing way too many early forced crosses, now only specific wingers and with enough accuracy should attempt them
  • Flair Trait: Only if 5* Skill Moves and 4*+ Weak Foot // Too many 360° backheel passes from random players otherwise, now only the very best stand out and make some trick moves
  • Outside Foot Shot Trait: Only if 5* Skill Moves and Finishing >= 80 // Same reason as above
  • Swerve Pass Trait: Only if 5* Skill Moves and Vision and Short Passing >= 85 // Same reasons as Flair and Playmaker
  • Acrobatic Clearance Trait: Only if Agility >= 90 // I think this trait is over-the-top arcade sometimes, but it still has a reason to exist (eg: David Luiz), so only the most agile players can attempt it now
  • 1-on-1 Rush Trait: Removed // GKs with this trait were ridiculously OP with their reflex saves
  • Puncher Trait: Removed // Useless, since I already decrease GK Handling
And here's how players were assigned these in my 2017/18 Winter Transfers Moddingway DB (for reference):
  • players with LONG SHOT TAKER trait: 1166 (5%)
  • players with LONG PASSER trait: 1676 (7%)
  • players with DIVES INTO TACKLES trait: 21639 (100%)
  • players with PLAYMAKER trait: 145 (0%)
  • players with FLAIR trait: 147 (0%)
  • players with AVOIDS USING WEAKER FOOT trait: 5062 (23%)
  • players with EARLY CROSSER trait: 145 (0%)
  • players with SPEED DRIBBLER trait: 0 (0%)
  • players with BEAT OFFSIDE TRAP trait: 485 (2%)
  • players with DIVER trait: 21639 (100%)
  • players with POWER HEADER trait: 178 (0%)
  • players with POWER FREE KICK trait: 121 (0%)
  • players with OUTSIDE FOOT SHOT trait: 375 (1%)
  • players with SWERVE PASS trait: 82 (0%)
  • players with SECOND WIND trait: 0 (0%)
  • players with FINESSE SHOT trait: 0 (0%)
  • players with SELFISH trait: 21639 (100%)
  • players with INFLEXIBLE trait: 21639 (100%)
  • players with ACROBATIC CLEARANCE trait: 272 (1%)
  • keepers with PUNCHER trait: 0 (0%)
  • keepers with 1-ON-1 RUSH trait: 0 (0%)
So, what are your thoughts? Do you agree with my reasoning? Especially @Madmac79, man, don't be afraid to tell me what you think :))

Sounds fantastic on paper. I mean it would produce for a a truly awesome football if players reflected their traits even partially as you studied :D .

As I told you many times I wasn't on the same page of the work the previous guy did on traits. Like this above, it makes much more sense anyway imho. Then it has to be seen how cpu players will react on the field, but just having at least some behaving properly and more "particularly" would be a huge step forward.

Back
Top Bottom