FIFA 16 News & Discussion Thread

Gameplay testing version 2019-04-05

As always thanks to andersfss, AndreaPirlo21, Ariel, bangus, Chris Davies, El Pajaro, Exocyst, fideco, Fidel Gameplay, fifaCCitiu.com, final lap, Krebstar, Madmac79, Matt10, miketheslummy, papinho81, paulv2k4, pedrito79, regularcat, Supernova, Tinker, plus all the rest I surely forgot :))

• cl.ini:
  • Edits since last version: added some speed related strings; increased referee card strictness to have a higher chance of seeing a red card

Cheers :))

You actually improved it again.

Observations:

More offsides now
Increased intensity for the CPU (the game is harder now, they're pushing more aggressively in the attack... the last 5 minutes were super intense... it looks like it's going in cycles... occasionally the user gets the upper hand and then it goes back to CPU... it could be just in my mind but looks like the change is more apparent now.
Even more fouls, definitely
They made an idiotic own goal where the keeper made a huge mistake. The CPU defender passed the ball back to him and the keeper ran into the goal post and somehow screwed the ball into the net.

Overall it felt great. You seem to know what you're doing.

But free kicks, goal kicks and corners were all taken short again.

vlsgX54.jpg

They made an idiotic own goal where the keeper made a huge mistake. The CPU defender passed the ball back to him and the keeper ran into the goal post and somehow screwed the ball into the net.
Reading this just made me crack up :LMAO:
Please tell me you captured it on video

Ok, thanks for your kind words: glad you liked this first match.
Also, glad to see that even with reduced boosts in Match Intensity and Team Mentality, CPU still presses realistically, and momentum changes.

Which brings me to the short set pieces: eh, this is something that EA should be sued about :CENSOR:
I don't know how to 100% fix this without having the teams going too fast. The only thing I can tell you, it all depends on teams and score, if they win they play short, if they lose they don't, but not always.
Sometimes I have normal games, sometimes I have games like yours where the CPU always plays it short.
I will definitely look into it before I release the final version, but I'm afraid I can't make any promises :((

@Madmac79: Sure, no hurry my friend :TU:

Hey people,

I just discovered that the latest version I uploaded has a bug in Trait assignment. Oh, this is by no means meant as an attack versus fifaCCitiu, the work he did is huge, so a glitch here and there is more than understandable :))

Basically, he does 2 things:
  • He removes 2* and 4* Weak Foot by subtracting 1, so 2* becomes 1* and 4* becomes 3*. So instead of 1*-2*-3*-4*-5* you have 1*-3*-5*. I reverted it to default because I think it's more realistic
  • He assigns Skill Moves according to the play style in the Matrix, then uses this new value in subsequent operations, but then doesn't import it so you're left with the default one in the Gameplayzed DB. So I was having players with Flair with 1* Skill Moves -- not what I intended with my formula. I also believe that Skill Moves should be independent from the play style, contrary to other Attributes (like, a CM with great Vision and Passing should be a playmaker, but his Skill Moves should not matter)
So, by making these changes, a few Traits of course are now assigned correctly (only 33 players have Flair now, for example). Plus, I added a few more, like Argues with Officials (there's an Emotion value in the DB).

I can reupload it today, of course, but since I just shared it yesterday, maybe you'd like some breathing room now? Let me know :?

Cheers :))

2 more group matches played. Pretty much the same as the first one. It looks like more user shots will get blocked by CPU defenders. I don't mind that. Against Panama and Bolivia their goalie made occasional long kick (in the extra of the game when they were trailing) but free kicks were all short (except one that was a cross to the penalty area). One corner was taken long. Not a big deal.

Plays really well.

Good to know :))

Question: have you guys ever seen a GK injury during a game? Because I never did. Looks like they nerfed it because FUT players complained they didn't want to waste a place on the bench with a sub GK. I read it online, so don't shoot the messenger.

I added Injury Prone to all GKs (and removed Injury Free if they had it) to counterbalance that, hope it doesn't screw up simulated/training injuries for them.

See ya

I just played one of the most memorable games ever. Quarterfinal against Uruguay. It was a HOT game... lots of fouls. Uruguay was playing dirty after I got the 1-0 goal... even Suarez was booked and he was complaining all the time. :D

Brilliant game all around. No short free kick issue... no short corner issue, no short goal kick issue. So it's not an issue... it really depends on the team how they execute these.

If people just KNEW how amazing this game is now. Wow! :o

Don't touch anything now. Haha. Everything has now clicked, gameplay wise. Injuries are probably a bit too common now. This game had 4.

One MAJOR issue though: Now when the tournament advances the CPU places superstars to the reserves (for whatever reason). Messi got placed completely out of the lineup and CPU also changed all free kick takers because of that.

Uruguay in the semifinal didn't start with Cavani or Suarez (their superstars). They came in at '60 and '70.

Why do these guys go to the reserves or bench? In my next game against Brazil (the semifinal) I'm afraid Neymar isn't playing. Same thing happened in my World Cup tournament where Germany's best players all started from the bench. They even had their backup goalie Ter-Stegen insted of Neuer.

It has something to do with changed attributes I'm sure.

Besides that... this game was something else. I wish I had recorded it.

NqYxaUz.jpg

Last edited:
Too late: I already touched many things :))
Don't worry, nothing major or extreme, mainly Traits -- they do have an impact on gameplay, but not as much as Attributes.

I'm sure injuries and rotating squads have to do with fatigue recovery -- do you use the cmsettings.ini strings I posted? How was the stamina before the start of the match?

Yes I did use the strings. Stamina was ok.

No coach in the world would "rotate" Messi, Suarez, Cavani or Neymar. :D

Maybe you could figure out something to prevent this from happening.

Other than that... it's games like these that made this all worthwhile. I got great and memorable games with PES5 back in the day but nothing compared to this. This is _finally_ something that actually resembles a genuine football match. Just look at the fouls and stats. Tight, edgy game between the two rivals... lots of emotion. The crowd noise in FIFA 16 is amazing and this was LOUD.

Oh, I see. Then the problem is almost certainly managerai.ini (which I haven't touched yet) :TU:

Will take a look at the injuries, gonna need to play a quick tourney myself too for that — and I haven't even started the game since my last match reports :D

PS: You’re using the Copa America DB, right?

:ZZZ: Wow, I'm getting old -- I'm sleepy already...

Ok, before I hit the sack.

I'm positive that tweaking managerai.ini (and its related .ini files) will fix the "weird lineup" issues. I took a quick look at the files, and they're more complicated than I remembered, so I don't know if I'll be able to do something about it now, or later when I'm gonna work on Career (and I will need @Madmac79 and @papinho81's help for that, but there's still time, don't panic yet.)

Alright, what else? I changed the Injury sliders (from 70/70 and 60/60, to 75/75 and 35/35 -- so I slightly increased the Frequency while significantly reducing the Severity.)

Then I will probably do some experiments to try and confine even more the short set pieces problem (that's why I asked @El Pajaro what DB he's using, I needed to know what Tactic was assigned to Uruguay.)

I think I'll release a new version after this (or not, am I sharing too many versions non-stop?)

Good night :))

It's not necessarily team related. It could also be game related.

I mean I've noticed that in each SECOND group stage match there's ALWAYS less fouls than in the third one. No matter whether I play Copa America or World Cup. This was a quarterfinal. Maybe the team tactics is different in QF than in group stage?

Or could it be ref related? This bald headed, big tough looking Brazilian ref maybe giving more fouls than the Mexican guy? (Sorry forgot their names).

Yes, it is match related, but in vanilla short kicks don't happen, and as far as I know tactics aren't touched by default, so at least let me try :))

As for refs, we override their foul and card strictness to the max with cl.ini strings, so it's not them -- it's again the same thing, there's a boost in aggression (not as notable since we reduced many key player attributes), and we all know that a higher aggression actually causes less fouls because it only increases the chances of winning the ball in a 50/50 challenge.

PS: Anyway, it looks like you're the only one even remotely interested in this (admittedly pointless) endeavor of mine, and I feel an idiot posting stuff nobody cares about in this generic game thread, preventing people from posting their career stories or videos like they were doing before. I think I'll use PMs from now on.

@Ciais I think you are not preventing anyone posting. I stopped posting my cm things cause I had troubles uploading to youtube and now I have so many video accumulated that I feel lazy editing and uploading them. It was more a test cm rather than my actual cm. I am still modding my game (I have been doing so for a year now...) and will not start a proper cm before at least editing the team tactics of the most important teams league.

I am sorry to not show more interest in your ambitious project, but as I already told you, I settled on a footy gaming configuration I really like (I should say I love instead). It already takes me so much time to bring it where I would like it, that I feel I can't really afford splitting my (already to short to my taste) gaming/modding time on two ore more different game configurations. Your mode might be better than what I am playing, but there is an expression I like that say that "the best is the enemy of the good".

I do enjoy the read and all the shared info though!

Edit: And I am happy to help if I can!

Last edited:
We all enjoy reading where you're going with this project @Ciais, and I'd much rather you didn't resort to working through PMs in future. I personally have started playing a FIFA 19 career that I'm really enjoying - but I'm planning on coming back to your work on 16 when you reach a point where you feel happy enough to call it a v1.0, because at the minute you're making changes daily! Which is great - the pursuit of perfection is a noble one, and I can't wait to come back.

This project deserves much more exposure than it gets here. I've been playing these football games since PES3 and this game with these modifications is at completely different level to anything else I've played. You've done things that I never thought possible.

When there's such limited audience it's unrealistic to except more feedback. We can create our own forum for this and start "marketing" it.

I never commented here but i follow this project with attention.

Doing now a 15 season carrer with Fidel's gamplay, Moddingwaymod and other specific carreer mods. I'm quite satisfied but fidel's mod requires latest update, and your mod is based on the more realistic 1.01 exe. This and all your great tweaks made me decide to play with your mod after my soon finished ongoing carrer. That's why i'm really interessted and eager to follow you progress.

I think there are also other silent followers of your work

@Ciais I come here every day just for this thread and any news from you . What makes you think that nobody needs it? I don't always have the opportunity to test new versions ...

Well, if it's indeed all right with you, then I will continue posting here, no problem :))

@papinho81: No harm done. If you think about it, it's what I'm doing myself: other games/mods are probably better than this, but I never liked multitasking either so I'd rather concentrate on just 1 thing. I should probably cut back on the almost daily changes and releases, though...

@Chris Davies: Speaking of which, yes I know, it's pretty difficult to keep up with me. But it's not really about being happy about it, apart from a few quirks here and there I currently am pretty satisfied with the result. I'd even say most of the job is done, only the finishing touches are left (plus balancing Career/Tournaments, of course.)

@Nisoley: Thanks for your support, man. Don't worry, I won't let you down! That's a promise.

@El Pajaro: Maybe you're right, maybe not. Who knows? I know I acted like a spoiled brat (or oversensitive pussy, huh!), like I want everybody to come here every time I post something and praise me. Trust me, far from it. I just felt... out of place? Hope it makes sense.

@FredHor: Which brings me to you, my friend. I know there are surely silent followers of this work, and it's okay if you stay that way.

@andersfss: Thank you. I know you do. Well, I 'm sure nobody really needs it, but maybe it's not as useless as I thought -- not after all this work, throwing all that away would indeed be stupid!

So thanks everybody for making me come back to my senses :))

It was originally the same dilemma when PES 2008 came out and people thought the newer version is automatically better than the old one (PES 6) and all modding guys went there.

Suddenly people realized that PES 5 and 6 were much better games and then came back. It took a year or so... now the differences have been less dramatic but I immediately realized that FIFA 16 is THE game to play and mod. I don't know if such dramatic changes could have been possible with say, FIFA 17, 18 or 19 but I find the 16 engine better that 17 and 18 (I haven't played 19 but based on what I've seen on the video I'm not impressed. FIFA 17 is very good game though... but not QUITE as good, imho.

If people just knew what you have accomplished, they'd come. I got a pm from a guy who was very impressed and said our gameplay vids look like real football. But how could people know about this? There's no way. 300 people have watched the gameplay video I posted. That's very small amount of PC football gamers... and it's an old title.

It takes time. NHL 2004 grew HUGE back in the early 2010's, despite NHL 2009 in the existence. That took time too. But we gave it a chance to be successful by creating a new forum to discuss it. And I promoted it a LOT.

I don't know if it's necessary. We have all the fans here... very good spirit and Chris who's a real football fan. Give it some time and don't be too hard on yourself.

You made CRAZY things to NHL 2004 and I had no doubts that you can make crazy things to FIFA 16 too. And you did. Be proud of that achievement.

And besides... think about the music industry... there's two kinds of success... artistic success and the mainstream success that's accepted by masses. When you listen to a good album, do you really care? No... you just enjoy the good music. Let's just enjoy this f****cking amazing football game and have some fun. That's why we're here, right? :)

PS: Tomorrow I have a Copa America semifinal against Brazil. I actually wait for the opportunity to play that game. QF was already the best football gaming experience I ever had. And believe me... I'm a straight shooter and I will let you know if it goes to wrong direction... but it was GREAT... and I've played a few games since the early PES. :D

Last edited:
You're absolutely right -- let's enjoy this :))

So, back to business, shall we? ;))

One thing I noticed while playing with this Gameplayzed DB, is the staggering amount of times GKs go off of the line and punch a cross away. That's also a factor in my decision of removing the GK Puncher trait entirely.
Well, what's the problem, you might ask? It's not really a problem per se, but in my opinion they were doing it too many times -- and statistics on Whoscored.com seemed to agree with me.
From FIFA 17 on, new player traits were introduced, including Comes for Crosses and Cautious with Crosses. But you don't have them on 16, so I did the only thing I could do.
You see, Aggression for a GK controls precisely that, and I noticed that the Gameplayzer would sometimes increase it to the 70s -- if you go to Sofifa.com, you'll see that the maximum for a GK is 47.
So I simply reduced it by 25% only for the GKs -- let's see if they still aggressively punch the ball away during a cross, but not as many times as before.

PS: Yes, I plan to start a mini tourney ASAP, might even post some video (oh, I'll eliminate the downtimes so they should be significantly shorter :P)

Saludos :))

You're absolutely right -- let's enjoy this :))

So, back to business, shall we? ;))

One thing I noticed while playing with this Gameplayzed DB, is the staggering amount of times GKs go off of the line and punch a cross away. That's also a factor in my decision of removing the GK Puncher trait entirely.
Well, what's the problem, you might ask? It's not really a problem per se, but in my opinion they were doing it too many times -- and statistics on Whoscored.com seemed to agree with me.
From FIFA 17 on, new player traits were introduced, including Comes for Crosses and Cautious with Crosses. But you don't have them on 16, so I did the only thing I could do.
You see, Aggression for a GK controls precisely that, and I noticed that the Gameplayzer would sometimes increase it to the 70s -- if you go to Sofifa.com, you'll see that the maximum for a GK is 47.
So I simply reduced it by 25% only for the GKs -- let's see if they still aggressively punch the ball away during a cross, but not as many times as before.

PS: Yes, I plan to start a mini tourney ASAP, might even post some video (oh, I'll eliminate the downtimes so they should be significantly shorter :P)

Saludos :))
Yes, the frequent goalkeeper punches after crosses in the penalty area & corners drove me crazy for a long time. Hope you can fix it. By the way, is it possible to make goalkeepers sometimes run to meet a player during the one-on-ones?

Last edited:
:THINK: I believe Aggression controls that too. I know that right now I'm slightly reducing it due to the puncher issue, but GKs with it high enough should still rush you 1-on-1 -- in fact, Butland just did it for me in the latest game I played, will upload the video soon

Otherwise there's the specific 1-on-1 Rush trait, but I removed it because GKs were making over-the-top reflex saves way too frequently. As always, it's a matter of win some, lose some :PP

EDIT: It looks like GK Positioning has a hand in it too

Last edited:
You guys worked on NHL04 Rebuilt?

(...) If people just knew what you have accomplished, they'd come. I got a pm from a guy who was very impressed and said our gameplay vids look like real football. But how could people know about this? There's no way. 300 people have watched the gameplay video I posted. That's very small amount of PC football gamers... and it's an old title.

I'm the guy :DD
I've been quietly following your work @Ciais and, as I said to @El Pajaro through PM, though I don't play FIFA16, I watched a video of the mod and I was blown away by the realism of the gameplay. I salute your work, and given the modern trends of football gaming, I don't know whether we'll see a football game primarily focused on realism ever again - so whenever you start doubting about carrying on with your work, just remember your mod might be the last realistic simulation of football we'll ever get.

A few months I decided to start a website called The Retro Sports Club. The premise that supports it is simple: I wholeheartedly disagree with the established culture that a football game can only be played for one year (or even less than that) before trading it for the newest version of that series. Your work is the living proof of the validity of my argument: if you were busy playing FIFA19 instead of editing FIFA16, your project would never have come to life...same for the communities around PES6, NHL04, and others. A truly great sports game is timeless, like a Hitchcock movie or a Led Zeppelin album.
So, we consider a retro game any version that is not the latest one of the series, in order to "force" ourselves to explore the vast catalog of sports games out there, and to go against the dominant culture that claims that "the new is always better".

I wanted to write about your project there, but thought of approaching Pajaro to do it, as I've seen his frequent observations about the work in progress - and you Cialis must already have your hands full with all the work. Anyway, the door is open for you guys to not only present the project itself but also to write updates on it.

I also saw that Pajaro put the idea out there of creating a dedicated forum for the project, so I told him he could use the forum I'm creating for RSC and set up shop on the Retro-FIFA section. And again, regardless of your choice, the door is always open.

Anyhow, I encourage you to keep going with this amazing and ambitious project. More and more people are realizing that a game is not necessarily the best one just because it's the most recent iteration, so one day you'll get the recognition you deserve by a larger audience.

Back
Top Bottom