FIFA 14 News & Discussion Thread

Re: FIFA 14 - General Discussion

Played a quick game yesterday at Best Buy on the PS4 display and I left very pleased. While they only had a demo running on the display, there were plenty of new animations and everything felt a bit more responsive than the current gen FIFA 14.

Can't say too much to the AI difficulty as I forgot to increase it from the default before starting my game and then didn't want to start over as a queue had formed behind me. Other than the through balls rolling farther than seems accurate (same complaint from the current gen demo), the game felt great.

As an ancillary point, the PS4 pad is improved... although still not as comfortable for my hand as the Xbox 360 pad. I think my thumbs naturally rest at more of a forward angle, and when using the DS4 pad it is a little uncomfortable to reach sideways for the analog sticks for a long period of time. HOWEVER, the analog sticks are WAY more precise than the DS3, there is far less dead zone. So for those who prefer the PlayStation stick locations I'm sure you will be pleased. The L2/R2 triggers are improved as well, although not as comfortable when held down for a time. Because the triggers "float" below the DS4 they are quick for quick taps and they bounce back quickly... but when held down for long (L2 defending), it causes a little extra strain because there is nothing for my finger to rest on while I hold it down (Not sure if I'm explaining well, but on the DS2 or Xbox 360 I can wrap my finger around the controller and grab the side of the controller while I hold the button down. Feels better to me.)

Anyways, overall a very nice next gen transition for a sports game. The menus were super fast, and all transitions (subs, goals, etc.) could be skipped immediately. Presentation was very similar to current gen, but more responsive and better looking. I can see why the IGN.com review was so positive.

Over the last week I've gone from, "The next-gen version of FIFA 14 looks completely underwhelming," to being fairly optimistic. For the first time in years I'm enjoying FIFA's offline offering. I've put in a decent amount of hours into the PC version of 14 so I'm excited at the prospect of playing an "enhanced" version of the game. I'm sure the new animations, crowd, smoother gameplay (according to hands-on impressions) will go a long way. The presentation is also the best I've seen in a football game. In a few hours I'll be able to see for myself when my PS4 arrives. I can't wait to start a new career mode. :YES:

Last edited:

Over the last week I've gone from, "The next-gen version of FIFA 14 looks completely underwhelming," to being fairly optimistic. For the first time in years I'm enjoying FIFA's offline offering. I've put in a decent amount of hours into the PC version of 14 so I'm excited at the prospect of playing an "enhanced" version of the game. I'm sure the new animations, crowd, smoother gameplay (according to hands-on impressions) will go a long way. The presentation is also the best I've seen in a football game. In a few hours I'll be able to see for myself when my PS4 arrives. I can't wait to start a new career mode. :YES:

Yes. In my experience, launch editions of sports games tend to undo a lot of the progress made in previous generations. FIFA 14 (and perhaps NBA2K14) seem to have kept all the current gen features while updating the graphical quality and taking advantage of the new systems abilities to speed up menus, etc.

Although it didn't really feel "next gen" (Nothing I've seen has) to me, it is certainly the best version of FIFA I've ever played.

Yes. In my experience, launch editions of sports games tend to undo a lot of the progress made in previous generations. FIFA 14 (and perhaps NBA2K14) seem to have kept all the current gen features while updating the graphical quality and taking advantage of the new systems abilities to speed up menus, etc.

Although it didn't really feel "next gen" (Nothing I've seen has) to me, it is certainly the best version of FIFA I've ever played.

Indeed. FIFA 2006: Road To The World Cup was the first football available for the Xbox 360 and it was terrible. Though I was slightly impressed that Ronaldinho's hair moved. :P EA's first proper FIFA release, FIFA 07, was a shell of a game. There were only 6 or 7 leagues and you couldn't even do skill moves if I recall correctly. It wasn't until FIFA 08 that they started to get their act together. Like you said, I'm glad FIFA 14 is an enhanced version of its current-gen predecessor instead of a bare bones, shell of a game.

All this is redundant in a way, as you say you'll be using it purely for FIFA 14. I'm not sure spending the best part of £480 or for 1 game is sensible, but then you do have the future to look forward to and that includes FIFA 15 and so on, plus any other games which may just take your fancy.

Thanks for the info.

Yeah considering I won't use the console for anything else like 'social' stuff, I don't care about that stuff and am not entirely sure what 'Kinect' is about either.

Money isn't really an issue right now fortunately but yeah I see it as a future investment anyway. There will be plenty of other FIFA's released in next few years as well as games like World Cup which I'll probably get. So it's a hefty price but will be worth it as I'd need the new console sooner or later anyway.

PS4 is cheaper and is the more powerful console so I'd go with that purely from the perspective you only want it for FIFA.

I'm wondering what this will mean for future FIFA's on PS3. I'm hoping that there will be game improvements and not just transfer updates every year.:II

I didn't get to play it, but I saw a bunch of people playing the XB1 version of FIFA 14 via some MS roadshow-type van parked up in my city centre.

Seeing the game up close on a TV screen, it looked absolutely lovely, I have to say. I'm glad I pre-ordered this game for my PS4. Graphics were razor sharp, the game speed was noticeably slower than CG and the lighting and animations were gorgeous.

Sure, it's not up to NBA2K standards but was a decent enough jump from CG FIFA.

So uh, FIFA 14 for the PS4 is actually really good. Loving it so far.

I played several hours of next gen FIFA this evening, and here's my first impressions if anyone is interested:

First thing you notice is the graphics upgrade. It's a big upgrade though I can't wait to see what they do in a year or two; the impact of 1080p is immediate; the menus are gorgeous; the color palette is still unrealistically bright.

Next thing you notice is that everything feels a tad weightier. It's going to take longer with the game to know for sure but first impression is that Precision Movement is even a bigger influence than on cg.

With the exception of headers, no major gameplay changes, but A LOT of little additions: more animations, greater variety in passing, first touch, ball physics, extra touches.

Headers much improved (so far). Maybe it's not quite a "major" gameplay addition but because multiple defenders now react to crosses, there were several instances that I was sure the CPU would score off a cross but instead my CBs dealt with it.

Sprint seems slightly toned down when moving without the ball, or maybe it's that acceleration is slower, which is great b/c one of my biggest complaints with current gen was that players moved too quickly in defense relative to dribblers. Stamina still is largely irrelevant.

AI seems better at individual level. Still saw some poor decisions, especially with runs, but I swear I saw loads of things that wouldn't have happened in CG. Players certainly seem "more human."

Still some funny collisions but physical interactions are better.

Pitches look great and playing in stadiums with shade, which I absolutely hated before, is now fine.

I'm not sure about the new default camera. I like how it looks, I like seeing the crowd, but players on the far side of the pitch become pretty small (and I'm playing on a 50") and I prefer the angle of tele broadcast.

Passing has been noted by some to be different, to be more difficult, especially with through ball, but I'm not sure. Seems pretty much the same to me, just with more variety in animations and spin physics.

I loaded up CM to confirm that the laggy PS3 menus aren't an issue and everything seems to work great, including team management. Don't know about the shortlist but I'd imagine it's fine too.

I have a feeling that it's going to take dozens of hours to really appreciate all the little changes next gen has over cg. So far, it seems like a pretty darn awesome first edition for a new generation.

Now, onto what for me was the biggest change, which has nothing to do with FIFA: the PS4 controller. It seems like a big improvement but I really struggled with it for two reasons:
1) the analog sticks are dramatically different and I struggled to get accustomed to the vastly reduced radius - I was constantly jamming the sticks against the sides; also, my thumbs kept sliding on the sticks, so much so that for all the previews/impressions/reviews I've read, I'm surprised I don't recall seeing this mentioned. Right now it's a big problem for me.
2) the DS4 is heavier, larger, and feels sturdier, but still feels way too cramped for my hands. And I don't have big hands - I wear a men's medium glove. Hitting buttons, and especially combinations, is iffy, like initiating player runs with L1, or the driven long pass with R1+square; and hitting the options button (previously start) is really hard. During play I kept finding myself shifting my grip and hand position, which shouldn't be happening. I honestly don't understand how the dualshock is meant for adult gamers.

Hopefully I'll get more used to the ds4 but my biggest fear going with the PS4 over the Xbox was the controller, and as of right now those fears have proven warranted. Right now I could see myself at some point buying an Xbox One, and as long as there aren't major difference in game quality, it again could prove to be my console of choice this gen primarily because of the controller. I'm really hoping that it's just a matter of getting used to it but I have my doubts.

Last edited:

Thanks for your impressions :)

Absolutely. Played several more matches after that post (following a break to try out Killzone) and I had some scintillating matches playing as Dortmund vs Liverpool and Arsenal. Still a bit fast for my tastes but really fun stuff.

Now, onto what for me was the biggest change, which has nothing to do with FIFA: the PS4 controller. It seems like a big improvement but I really struggled with it for two reasons:
1) the analog sticks are dramatically different and I struggled to get accustomed to the vastly reduced radius - I was constantly jamming the sticks against the sides; also, my thumbs kept sliding on the sticks, so much so that for all the previews/impressions/reviews I've read, I'm surprised I don't recall seeing this mentioned. Right now it's a big problem for me.
2) the DS4 is heavier, larger, and feels sturdier, but still feels way too cramped for my hands. And I don't have big hands - I wear a men's medium glove. Hitting buttons, and especially combinations, is iffy, like initiating player runs with L1, or the driven long pass with R1+square; and hitting the options button (previously start) is really hard. During play I kept finding myself shifting my grip and hand position, which shouldn't be happening. I honestly don't understand how the dualshock is meant for adult gamers.

Hopefully I'll get more used to the ds4 but my biggest fear going with the PS4 over the Xbox was the controller, and as of right now those fears have proven warranted. Right now I could see myself at some point buying an Xbox One, and as long as there aren't major difference in game quality, it again could prove to be my console of choice this gen primarily because of the controller. I'm really hoping that it's just a matter of getting used to it but I have my doubts.

On the topic of the DS4, I played a bunch of PS4 on my buddy's console tonight and for the first time in a very long time I got "Nintendo Thumb" (or "PlayStation Thumb" for the younger generation) after playing for a few hours. This never happened on my PS3 with the DS3, but I hardly ever used it. I had totally forgotten about this ailment, and I'm sad too see it return with some extended time with the DS4. Last time I remember having it was in the PES days on the PS2. Since I switched to Xbox and PC for my majority gaming, my hands have been cramp free... this pretty much eliminates getting a PS4 as my main console as I'm not going to put up with this again.

I don't have freakishly large hands (medium glove size) but I guess they just don't fit the DS4 controller. Oh well. As long as the Xbox One version is of similar quality.

Absolutely. Played several more matches after that post (following a break to try out Killzone) and I had some scintillating matches playing as Dortmund vs Liverpool and Arsenal. Still a bit fast for my tastes but really fun stuff.

Does it still have sliders? What about custom chant options? I know the PS4 doesn't support MP3 yet but it will soon so really hoping EA didn't remove the option for custom chants/music!

guys if i get fifa 14 on pc via digital download, will i have problems with moddingway? So should i avoid steam, any help would be appreciated.

As mentioned yesterday, no issue with pad at all for me. It felt different of course as I've been using 360 ones for last few years but you just get used to them after a little while and they feel natural.

The game will have to be activated through Origin regardless of where you purchase it. I purchased mine on Amazon and I believe they just gave me a code. Anyway, I've had zero issues with using patches.

As mentioned yesterday, no issue with pad at all for me. It felt different of course as I've been using 360 ones for last few years but you just get used to them after a little while and they feel natural.

I'm loving the PS4 controller for the most part. I'm not a fan of the Options and Share button placement (essentially Start and Select), but I'm sure I'll get used to it. I'm glad the controller has lived up to the hype because I hated the Dualshock. Anyone on the PS4 care for a co-op season? I haven't tried it on the current-gen version, but I'm curious. I use manual controls except for shooting and crossing (I put those on semi-assisted).

Last edited:

That was the biggest fault for me on the PS pads the radius far to much, also the back triggers going way to far back (what are they like now?).

If they have fixed them as well i may get on with the PS4 pad.

FIFA 14 - General Discussion

The game will have to be activated through Origin regardless of where you purchase it. I purchased mine on Amazon and I believe they just gave me a code. Anyway, I've had zero issues with using patches.

I'm loving the PS4 controller for the most part. I'm not a fan of the Options and Share button placement (essentially Start and Select), but I'm sure I'll get used to it. I'm glad the controller has lived up to the hype because I hated the Dualshock. Anyone on the PS4 care for a co-op season? I haven't tried it on the current-gen version, but I'm curious. I use manual controls except for shooting and crossing (I put those on semi-assisted).

I played a bit of co-op with a mate on 360 (before he got addicted to GTA). Absolutely brilliant mode. Loved it.

Anybody know when you stream your game, can only so many watch or is it anybody on your friends list. Reason I'm wondering is if any leagues or cups are setup, we could all watch the final or your opponent in previous rounds. Not that I'd watch other people playing much but I like the sound of it for FIFA tournies.

Last edited:

Does it still have sliders? What about custom chant options? I know the PS4 doesn't support MP3 yet but it will soon so really hoping EA didn't remove the option for custom chants/music!

I don't know about the chants, I can check that later, but all the sliders are included.

That was the biggest fault for me on the PS pads the radius far to much, also the back triggers going way to far back (what are they like now?).

If they have fixed them as well i may get on with the PS4 pad.

Well I can assure you that the sticks are much improved for shooters. I played some Killzone and had no problems at all with them. Aiming with them is great.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by the triggers going way too far back. There's two differences with the triggers on the DS4: it's now curved, you know, like a trigger; and the resistance when pressing is greater.

The other difference is the relationship between the shoulder buttons and the triggers. Holding side-by-side, you can see that whereas with the ds3, the buttons are at the same level, on the ds4 the shoulder buttons are at a slightly higher position, which I think is what's been causing me some issues.

Yeah, the placement of the Options/Share buttons kinda suck. I keep having to look down at the controller when I want to pause the game! Also, in FIFA it really sucks that we can't skip songs anymore because now the Share button has a dedicated function!

I honestly didn't understand the hype for the DS4 until I played Killzone. I'm not sure that the DS4 is now the go-to controller for shooters that some have claimed, but it's far far better now. The analog sticks in particular are now great for aiming.

The problem for me is really just with FIFA right now, and the need to be really quick with button presses. Needing to hit L1 quickly to initiate a run or one-two pass, for example, feels especially awkward for me.

I always thought it unfortunate - and a missed opportunity - that Sony didn't make an alternative, slightly larger dualshock that was designed for adult hands. Even better, just imagine the good will they'd receive if they offered one with the alternative analog stick placement. I don't get why they don't see that there's only good to be gained by providing gamers with more options.

Last edited:

Yeah, the placement of the Options/Share buttons kinda suck. I keep having to look down at the controller when I want to pause the game! Also, in FIFA it really sucks that we can't skip songs anymore because now the Share button has a dedicated function!

Yes! This was irking me to no end. I eventually just turned the music volume to 3 (I usually turn it down anyway).

Well I can assure you that the sticks are much improved for shooters. I played some Killzone and had no problems at all with them. Aiming with them is great.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by the triggers going way too far back. There's two differences with the triggers on the DS4: it's now curved, you know, like a trigger; and the resistance when pressing is greater.

The other difference is the relationship between the shoulder buttons and the triggers. Holding side-by-side, you can see that whereas with the ds3, the buttons are at the same level, on the ds4 the shoulder buttons are at a slightly higher position, which I think is what's been causing me some issues.

Thanks for the info

What i meant was when you press the back triggers you have to press them a long way to get them all the way down. Maybe that was just the placement of them and having them higher now may have solved that.

Where do you usually access custom chant options? I'm not finding them.

Placebo, just for you I added about 30 players to the shortlist and no worries, it runs like a breeze, just like everything else.

Also, if you've got a half-decent sound system, and I only have a cheap sound bar, the atmosphere can be pretty awesome. Playing at home as Dortmund is really cool.

Another thing, I'm really noticing the benefits of using analog sprint more than ever. I wonder why it's not on by default; it's a must.

so i got this on origin and setup placebos sliders.....

Pro
presentation and look and feel of menus is class
camera can go out far
all the leagues
cpu moves ball around niceley

cons
i mean i thought this game would have been drastically different then fifa 10, to me it is not. The players have no weight. None of the players feel or look all that different in there movements. I chose Nantes in a CM. Players really had no individuality. This really kills it for me. Also SUttering, massive micro stuttering, im sure there is a fix but it is bad.
Dribbling past players is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to easy, just sprint right by....

not sure what the hype is about this game...

Back
Top Bottom