FIFA 14 News & Discussion Thread

Re: FIFA 14 - General Discussion

Think its the same as current gen, isn't it?. Was also wandering about living worlds on NG. Will we see fancy camera angels panning on the outside of the stadium for generic stadiums, or is this only applicable to real life stadiums?

Anyone?

I'm fairly confident we have the same stadiums in NG as there are in CG. EA still have the same licenses so there's no way they are adding more at this point. As far as exteriors are concerned, only a select few have had this feature included; certainly no generic stadiums as far as I'm aware. It's purely for adding to the atmosphere in the build up to a game and offers only a visual experience and nothing more.

I wasn't meaning to be harsh. But YouTube vids mean nothing. I mean, PES14 looked great and we know how that turned out.

NG FIFA feels and looks so good that even after 5 mins with it going back to CG FIFA it feels dated

I'm sure you weren't meaning to come across harsh in that reply, but I have to agree with the sentiment. Youtube videos never give the true representation of gameplay.

Yeah but to certain point we can predict. We have some experiences watching previous FIFA or PES videos pre-release and feel the actual released versions.

The fundamental of how player moves does resemble CG version, the ball physic pace difference between ground and on the air looks similiar with FIFA 13.

I believe the lighting does stands out, graphical touch, and some more animation. The AI.. you can guess. :P

This is just a prediction though.

Yeah but to certain point we can predict. We have some experiences watching previous FIFA or PES videos pre-release and feel the actual released versions.

The fundamental of how player moves does resemble CG version, the ball physic pace difference between ground and on the air looks similiar with FIFA 13.

I believe the lighting does stands out, graphical touch, and some more animation. The AI.. you can guess. :P

This is just a prediction though.

Yup. The guys I know who have played it say it's very, very good. The extra animations are evident and they contribute towards making the game much more fluid and enjoyable.

I can't wait really.

There is slight difference in perceiving both games, but fundamental one.

You can "see" players being heavy in PES thus you can call it interia/momentum which is visible.

In FIFA you cannot see that on videos, but when you have controller at hands, you "feel" every touch and weight of players.

This is why judging any game from video perspective is going to be off.

FIFA 14 NG is definitely the game you have to play to feel most changes. Those are there, but I do agree with IGN, it's more like polished up CG version with added animations which were not seen before or now having 4+ players going for headers in corners/crossing situations, etc (not huge news for PES fans because that was there already).

As for AI, if what EA said is indeed true, they will be able to make them calculate 4x as much data as they were allowed before.

That means AI should be more human like and be able to analyse situation on the pitch better.

Dunno how this will turn out this year, but next year, we can expect BIG things to be done with AI/player awareness and such.

This won't be advertised in trailers, because it's not beautiful enough to drive the trailers. ;)

As for AI, if what EA said is indeed true, they will be able to make them calculate 4x as much data as they were allowed before.

I'm sure EA used to claim that their AI players made 1000 decisions per second, so this must mean they'll now be making 4000 decisions per second. How exciting. Although, of the supposed 1000 decisions they apparently used to make every second, it wasn't always obvious that any of them related to the football match they were involved in.

I'm sure EA used to claim that their AI players made 1000 decisions per second, so this must mean they'll now be making 4000 decisions per second. How exciting. Although, of the supposed 1000 decisions they apparently used to make every second, it wasn't always obvious that any of them related to the football match they were involved in.

Yeah I think EA confirmed it was 3.

To be honest, on PC after some fine tuning, you can definitely see, AI making things, you don't see on default game.

Maybe it's EA locking stuff out from the game. Don't know.

So I'm gonna buy next gen console soon and am wondering which since the ONLY game I will EVER play is Fifa.

I'm out of the loop so can someone fill me in on what are the 'supposed' differences between PS4 FIFA and Xbox One Fifa if anything?

So I'm gonna buy next gen console soon and am wondering which since the ONLY game I will EVER play is Fifa.

I'm out of the loop so can someone fill me in on what are the 'supposed' differences between PS4 FIFA and Xbox One Fifa if anything?

Really don't think there is much in it between PS4 and Xbox One. Maybe down to your favorite controller?

Nothing at all. Both run the same 1080p at 60fps.

It'll be down to personal preference I guess.

Currently I own x360 and am happy. I prefer the x360 controller to PS3 but I hear PS4 controller has seen improvements.

My main gripe with that was the thumbsticks which seemed kind of hard compared to Xbox controller. But also the xbox controller just fit better in my hands and seemed more 'natural'.

I'm open minded though and not a 'fan' of either console. I'll simply go for what I think is best and that's why I value people's input.

And considering this is the only game I have time to play, I was wondering if there are any actual differences.

On Current gen for example, many said that CM modes were sluggish in PS3 version and slow. I never had those problems on x360.

The only slow down I've experienced on 360 occasionally is the menus in Pro Clubs. Subbing/checking stats. Aside from that I have had no issues, even in CM which I kept hearing was a big issue.

PLF(Sina), if ure only going to play FIFA, and knowing u, Xbone is the way to go, im pretty sure ull be interesting in playing with the legend players(Pele, Romario, Van Basten, etc)... Theyre exclusive in the XO.

Which human being makes 1000 decisions a second, never mind 4000?
Here is a link to a FIFA 08 preview that mentions the 1000 decisions bullshit.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/gc-07-fifa-08-hands-on/1100-6177317/

"The big change for FIFA in terms of gameplay is the way that the artificial intelligence players adapt to what's going on in the game. Instead of depending on the script-based logic of before, each of the 21 computer-controlled players makes over 1,000 decisions per second depending on what's happening around them."

:LOL:

That is of course bollocks as they don't calculate all that in real time all the time.

But, you can't deny there could be such thing implemented, but separated to on/off switches.

Simply put, AI has the ball it decides whether to: run, pass short/long, shoot, lob/cross, play through ball, tackle, slide tackle, contain, etc.

This is simple logic based on yes/no pattern.

I believe on PS4/Xbox One they might make strides for autonomic AI which will really calculate moves in real time for all players, but they must make it in realistic manner (so not calculate 1000 moves ahead :LOL:, but more like 20 :P).

Implementing something like vision for AI players would be amazing too. ;)

That sounds sci-fi like for now though... ;D

Let's see how it works in fifa14: I was winning vs AI (QPR) and Zamora started distributing chipped passes to him teammates, even when turned around 180 degr. away from his teammates!
That is surely 1000 decisions per second.

DIVISON 6 title clinched!

The title winning goal in the 90th minute!
http://www.easports.com/uk/fifa/foo...rofile/media/PS3/szkokan/2014/video/176976031

This season i only played with FC Gröningen and i had 6wins and 1draw.
I played some "dirty" matches tho, means as i got the lead i changed the formation asap to have 3 defending midfielders and 2 strikers and the tactic to ball possession, THEN the opposition (always) went to nuts and went into full attack, so with 2 strikers i could easily do counters even with ball possession but MAINLY I PASSED AROUND THE BALL with the lead but as i said the opp used mostly this time high pressure up front and full attack, so the chance for counter attacks suddenly was ...there. Ofcourse i took advantage. Still strange that i felt no bullshit within the game in these matches(and im not saying this because mostly i won because i had many 1-0 matches not goalfest out of nowhere for no reason.)

Div5 here i come!

Last edited:

Played a quick game yesterday at Best Buy on the PS4 display and I left very pleased. While they only had a demo running on the display, there were plenty of new animations and everything felt a bit more responsive than the current gen FIFA 14.

Can't say too much to the AI difficulty as I forgot to increase it from the default before starting my game and then didn't want to start over as a queue had formed behind me. Other than the through balls rolling farther than seems accurate (same complaint from the current gen demo), the game felt great.

As an ancillary point, the PS4 pad is improved... although still not as comfortable for my hand as the Xbox 360 pad. I think my thumbs naturally rest at more of a forward angle, and when using the DS4 pad it is a little uncomfortable to reach sideways for the analog sticks for a long period of time. HOWEVER, the analog sticks are WAY more precise than the DS3, there is far less dead zone. So for those who prefer the PlayStation stick locations I'm sure you will be pleased. The L2/R2 triggers are improved as well, although not as comfortable when held down for a time. Because the triggers "float" below the DS4 they are quick for quick taps and they bounce back quickly... but when held down for long (L2 defending), it causes a little extra strain because there is nothing for my finger to rest on while I hold it down (Not sure if I'm explaining well, but on the DS2 or Xbox 360 I can wrap my finger around the controller and grab the side of the controller while I hold the button down. Feels better to me.)

Anyways, overall a very nice next gen transition for a sports game. The menus were super fast, and all transitions (subs, goals, etc.) could be skipped immediately. Presentation was very similar to current gen, but more responsive and better looking. I can see why the IGN.com review was so positive.

Just had a bash on FIFA in Game. Graphics nice and crisp. I prefer being a bit further back when playing than the wire allowed so watched a guy for a few mins after me. It looks good and I'm happy enough with it. The pad is smaller than what it appears to be in pictures I've seen. That doesn't mean its small, I just thought it was going to be bigger. It feels nice. I'm not a pad loony like some people. They have always been fine on both consoles to me. This one does seen less flimsy than the PS3 one though. No complaint from me. UI is decent enough. Does the job. It looks nice and clean and it serves its purpose.
I now know I'm not getting one day one but will def get before Xmas. Happy with that as it is for Xmas afterall.

PLF(Sina), if ure only going to play FIFA, and knowing u, Xbone is the way to go, im pretty sure ull be interesting in playing with the legend players(Pele, Romario, Van Basten, etc)... Theyre exclusive in the XO.

Hey Bruno

How you doing bud?

actually I don't really care much for playing with legends and am also not into Ultimate Team either.

I pretty much only play CM and sometimes a little 'Seasons' action online.

And yeah FIFA games are the only reason I'm even gonna have a console. There'll be plenty of other great games I'm sure but unfortunately I barely have time to even play my beloved footy games let alone other stuff. Long gone are those days.... :/

So are there any other reasons I should go for XBone instead of PS4 in your opinion? I've heard PS4 is a superior machine.

One reason I would stay with xbox is because like EatonTJ was saying, even if PS4 pad is improved which I hear it certainly is, I personally prefer the xbox controllers as it seems to wrap around my hands perfectly. So I don't really feel like 'changing'. I also have an active Xbox Live membership already which I guess would carry over.

For those reasons I am probably leaning towards staying with Xbox but I'd be curious to know if there are any other 'advantages' or 'disadvantages' since there's still time to make a decision with me having not pre-ordered either and apparently it's next to impossible to get them for another couple weeks because of that. :(

Hey Bruno

How you doing bud?

actually I don't really care much for playing with legends and am also not into Ultimate Team either.

I pretty much only play CM and sometimes a little 'Seasons' action online.

And yeah FIFA games are the only reason I'm even gonna have a console. There'll be plenty of other great games I'm sure but unfortunately I barely have time to even play my beloved footy games let alone other stuff. Long gone are those days.... :/

So are there any other reasons I should go for XBone instead of PS4 in your opinion? I've heard PS4 is a superior machine.

One reason I would stay with xbox is because like EatonTJ was saying, even if PS4 pad is improved which I hear it certainly is, I personally prefer the xbox controllers as it seems to wrap around my hands perfectly. So I don't really feel like 'changing'. I also have an active Xbox Live membership already which I guess would carry over.

For those reasons I am probably leaning towards staying with Xbox but I'd be curious to know if there are any other 'advantages' or 'disadvantages' since there's still time to make a decision with me having not pre-ordered either and apparently it's next to impossible to get them for another couple weeks because of that. :(

The advantages are also the XBO seems to cater more towards being a media centre than the PS4. It has a whole host of innovative features including built in Kinnect (the PS4 doesn't have a camera included so would be an add-on purchase) and the XBO also has extensive media playback unlike the PS4 (currently).

All this is redundant in a way, as you say you'll be using it purely for FIFA 14. I'm not sure spending the best part of £480 or for 1 game is sensible, but then you do have the future to look forward to and that includes FIFA 15 and so on, plus any other games which may just take your fancy.

Back
Top Bottom