FIFA 14 News & Discussion Thread

Re: FIFA 14 - General Discussion

I saw that he NG version will show replays of the goals from earlier in the match sometimes when the ball goes out of play, say, for a goal kick etc. That's a really cool feature. I saw a video on YouTube earlier of Liverpool v Arsenal on NG and it looked amazing. Anfield looked pretty accurate, the chants etc were great, replays just like you see on TV, and the crowds do look amazing, especially when Arsenal scored and you see the tiny away end in the far left corner, exactly where it is in real life, going crazy were the rest of the stadium is still. That's really cool.

Yup, it's great! So far I've seen replays of fouls, shots on goal, saves and tackles. The presentation in this game is very good especially compared to EA and Konami's previous efforts. The camera angles in general are more similar to a real life broadcast. Ball boys, seeing your teammate physically go over to the ball and kick it to the corner flag and having the corner taker walk up, flick the ball into his hands and place the ball is great. There's a lot of little touches like that that really help the game feel a bit more alive. And yes, scoring a late winner while you can see the individual fans behind the goal going absoultely mental is fantastic.

Last edited:

mfmaxpower, about the edit mode, did EA finally add more options to edit players, for exemple the possibility to edit what gear players wear on rain/winter matches separatly from sunny/regular matches? (this is something that is broken in the CG version)

Thanks for your impressions, appreciated! Roll on 22th!

Anychance of checking out the edit mode mfmaxpower? cheers!

Flubit offering it for £41 with delivery on 29th, I imagine you won't go cheaper?

Is it out on the 22nd?

Amazon says 22nd so I can get them to send it straight to you on release day

Is it out on the 22nd?

Amazon says 22nd so I can get them to send it straight to you on release day

Must be 22nd with Flubit as they use Amazon for prices etc. Can you do any cheaper than £41?

mfmaxpower, about the edit mode, did EA finally add more options to edit players, for exemple the possibility to edit what gear players wear on rain/winter matches separatly from sunny/regular matches? (this is something that is broken in the CG version)

Thanks for your impressions, appreciated! Roll on 22th!

Nope, it's still broken. For some reason this has always irked me. Players still don't wear long sleeves unless it's raining or snowing. PES has had this right for years. If the match is played during the winter then some of the players should wear long sleeves and gloves. They do realize that it can be cold without precipitation, right? It's not a difficult concept, EA.

Nope, it's still broken. For some reason this has always irked me. Players still don't wear long sleeves unless it's raining or snowing. PES has had this right for years. If the match is played during the winter then some of the players should wear long sleeves and gloves. They do realize that it can be cold without precipitation, right? It's not a difficult concept, EA.

Gosh, was really hoping they would FINALLY sort this out in the new generation... this is purely lazyness.

And yeh, seems EA think theres no cold days without rain or snow LOL

Last edited:

Redhat, can u check just one more thing for me? Goodison is in right? and is the camera position wrong/inverted like in the 360 version(real life Goodison the TV camera faces the benches, while in FIFA 360 its the otherway around, same issue with WHL and Wembley).

Redhat, can u check just one more thing for me? Goodison is in right? and is the camera position wrong/inverted like in the 360 version(real life Goodison the TV camera faces the benches, while in FIFA 360 its the otherway around, same issue with WHL and Wembley).

Unfortunately they haven't sorted that out either. :(

Best impressions for me so far and ı think he is one of the best youtubers out there..

YouTube - [TTB] FIFA 14 PS4 Next Gen - Gameplay and Initial Impressions

Yeah, his impressions are pretty spot-on, if not the most detailed. And he's absolutely right that the videos don't do the game justice. I'm playing a Spurs CM at the moment and I've found myself thinking at times that it feels like I'm controlling real football players.

And he's right about it playing a bit slower game. You don't need to use sprint often, and when you do it's very well balanced. And the thing about it is that moments of more measured play, like when your counter attack hits a wall and you've got to recycle possession and work the ball around, is really fun now. Maintaining possession, and intricate play in the penalty box, finally, is now a joy.

Playing this version you can tell that the Protect the Ball feature that is in current gen is only a half-baked version. It's much much better now, and players are so much stronger at fending off physical encounters with defenders. No more can dribblers be so easily barged off the ball. Also, dribbling with just the left stick is awesome now. I've always felt that FIFA's dribbling was a major weakness of the game, especially compared to PES. Now IMO dribbling in next gen blows everything I've ever played out of the water.

I've now played about 15 hours with the game, and I think the best thing I can say is that no glaring gameplay issues have jumped out at me. In fact, my biggest annoyance with current gen 14 seems to have been fixed, which was that player sprinting on defense was too fast and it made defending too easy when combined with auto tackle. It's quite different now. I've also yet to concede a cheap headed goal to the CPU, which was my second biggest issue with current gen.

That's not to say it's perfect, because there are still lots of room for improvement, especially when it comes to refs, passing accuracy, AI, and fouls and collisions. And graphically I imagine there's loads of room to grow on the new consoles. But right now my #1 priority for FIFA has nothing to do with gameplay - it would be to upgrade the team management system.

When I switched to FIFA from PES in 2007/08, I saw so much promise in the game but in the proceeding years I kinda felt that though the game improved, it never fulfilled the potential that first attracted me to the game. Right now I couldn't be more pleased with FIFA. And then when you consider that this is a console transition year, that the first round of next gen games tend to be rather weak, and when you look at the minor and primarily graphical improvements in the next gen version of other cross gen titles, like BF, CoD, Assassin's Creed, I'd say that for once the FIFA devs are trully deserving of praise for giving us a great first edition of next gen FIFA.

**Edit: I should make it clear that I've yet to play multiplayer, so I have no idea whether it's as much an improvement as single-player is. A lot of times there are exploits that become abused in multiplayer that aren't an issue in single player, so be aware of that.

Last edited:

At least from what ive seem plp playing(twicth tv) theyre as OP as in the current gen version, evan with the new multiple players jumping feature.

It doesn't seem too overpowered on manual controls.

Yeah, his impressions are pretty spot-on, if not the most detailed. And he's absolutely right that the videos don't do the game justice. I'm playing a Spurs CM at the moment and I've found myself thinking at times that it feels like I'm controlling real football players.

And he's right about it playing a bit slower game. You don't need to use sprint often, and when you do it's very well balanced. And the thing about it is that moments of more measured play, like when your counter attack hits a wall and you've got to recycle possession and work the ball around, is really fun now. Maintaining possession, and intricate play in the penalty box, finally, is now a joy.

Playing this version you can tell that the Protect the Ball feature that is in current gen is only a half-baked version. It's much much better now, and players are so much stronger at fending off physical encounters with defenders. No more can dribblers be so easily barged off the ball. Also, dribbling with just the left stick is awesome now. I've always felt that FIFA's dribbling was a major weakness of the game, especially compared to PES. Now IMO dribbling in next gen blows everything I've ever played out of the water.

I've now played about 15 hours with the game, and I think the best thing I can say is that no glaring gameplay issues have jumped out at me. In fact, my biggest annoyance with current gen 14 seems to have been fixed, which was that player sprinting on defense was too fast and it made defending too easy when combined with auto tackle. It's quite different now. I've also yet to concede a cheap headed goal to the CPU, which was my second biggest issue with current gen.

That's not to say it's perfect, because there are still lots of room for improvement, especially when it comes to refs, passing accuracy, AI, and fouls and collisions. And graphically I imagine there's loads of room to grow on the new consoles. But right now my #1 priority for FIFA has nothing to do with gameplay - it would be to upgrade the team management system.

When I switched to FIFA from PES in 2007/08, I saw so much promise in the game but in the proceeding years I kinda felt that though the game improved, it never fulfilled the potential that first attracted me to the game. Right now I couldn't be more pleased with FIFA. And then when you consider that this is a console transition year, that the first round of next gen games tend to be rather weak, and when you look at the minor and primarily graphical improvements in the next gen version of other cross gen titles, like BF, CoD, Assassin's Creed, I'd say that for once the FIFA devs are trully deserving of praise for giving us a great first edition of next gen FIFA.

**Edit: I should make it clear that I've yet to play multiplayer, so I have no idea whether it's as much an improvement as single-player is. A lot of times there are exploits that become abused in multiplayer that aren't an issue in single player, so be aware of that.

Thanks for the impressions:)) Most of the people who tried the NG version are saying positive things about the game..It's very clear that this version is the most realistic version up to date and ı am glad that EA took the realism root after Fifa 13 disaster..Your point about sprinting defenders was one of the biggest problem of 13..They always run towards you like crazy headless chicken.It's really good to see off the ball movements of players are realistic again as well as on the ball movements..I also heard that pitch does feel bigger than the CG.When you combine these features, ı think we have enjoyable passing - possession game . I hope their next biggest improvements will be on the tactical side of the game because there are lots of room to improve this side..

At least from what ive seem plp playing(twicth tv) theyre as OP as in the current gen version, evan with the new multiple players jumping feature.

Multi- or single-player? They're not OP in single-player.

Like I said, I've only played single-player.

Thanks for the impressions:)) Most of the people who tried the NG version are saying positive things about the game..It's very clear that this version is the most realistic version up to date and ı am glad that EA took the realism root after Fifa 13 disaster..Your point about sprinting defenders was one of the biggest problem of 13..They always run towards you like crazy headless chicken.It's really good to see off the ball movements of players are realistic again as well as on the ball movements..I also heard that pitch does feel bigger than the CG.When you combine these features, ı think we have enjoyable passing - possession game . I hope their next biggest improvements will be on the tactical side of the game because there are lots of room to improve this side..

I agree, I hope they focus on the tactical side of the game, both in terms of gameplay but also in the menu interface. The current team management system needs to be completely gutted and re-invented from the ground up. Thankfully though, that's about the only feature I think needs a total revamp.

On the other hand, I'm curious as to whether the upgraded player AI also has some knock-on effects on tactics. In my Spurs CM, I played Swansea and they were fantastic at keeping possession. The good thing is that unlike current gen can feel, it didn't feel unfair; they were just inclined to keep possession through short passing and were effective at it.

Then when I played Norwich, they played a clear, and rather effective, long ball strategy. My defenders dealt with them but their long lofted through balls really stressed my backline. I recall in current gen playing against teams that were better at keeping possession, though not as good as Swansea was in my example, but I don't remember CPU teams playing such a determined and effective long lofted through ball strategy. I know they sort of did it, but in next gen it just seems more easy to identify their strategy.

Hopefully what I'm describing isn't a fluke and indicates improved team individuality. I'm not sure yet, which probably indicates that even if it is improved, it's still not enough. I know that in one interview Rutter said that he expected the biggest improvements in the future to be in the area of AI, so hopefully team individuality and tactics will be given much greater depth in the coming years.

I meant more for online play(assisted and all) ;)

yea same here

U know what the weirdest thing is? After the 1st patch they pretty much fixed it, it was really hard and realisitc to score headers with poor heading players(u would see evan 70-75 players miss lots of times)... but after this last patch its back to the headers fest, players with 50-70 rating can pretty much score headers for fun like they all were Radamel Falcao, evan though EA says they didnt change anything gameplay wise this time.

Last edited:

Goodison Park being implemented wrongly isn't a bug/glitch though.

I started playing FIFA 14 a short time, playing in slow speed, but I still think very fast! Its decrease a little more speed? Maybe if you use the slider?

Goodison Park being implemented wrongly isn't a bug/glitch though.

I also mentinoed Error.. but yet, u could argue its a glitch because of the reason behind this error, the broadcast/tv camera cant be in the the oposite side of the where the players come out to the pitch, u can test yourself, check La bombonera, its the only stadium that the broadcast camera faces the benches, notice in the begining of the match, the players come out from the fences of the stadium, really weird.

And thats the reason why Goodison, WHL and Wembley all have their cameras inverted, EA needs to have them at the same side of the pitch as the entrance tunnels.(i know this because of the modders that made Goodison for FIFA13, plp started asking them to fix the camera position but they couldnt because of this, if they switched the camera side the players would start the match coming out fom the stands/crowd.)

That just shows how lazy EA is, they add new stadiums but cant bother having them accuratly represented, for an Everton fan its really frustrating to finnally have Goodison in the game but yet have Gwladys and Park end inverted in the gameplay camera, not o mention that we cant see the manager/bench/main stand in the upper part of the screen like in real life.... its like we get Goodison Park but not quite fully.

Last edited:

I also mentinoed Error.. but yet, u could argue its a glitch because of the reason behind this error

I meant my reply more in the sense that this kind of issue is not a bug/glitch it's just poor/lazy game design which can't be fixed in one cycle, hence there was unfortunately no way it would be fixed from CG to NG, maybe next year if enough people kick up a stink on social media...

My concern would be that some of the very poor bugs of CG14 aren't fixed for NG14, one glaring example is signing a player on a pre-contract only for another club to buy him before the window ends so next season you're paying his wages yet he's playing for another club, now that's an annoying bug!

Back
Top Bottom