FIFA 12 Discussion Thread

Just out of interest what difficulty do you play on? I've just moved up from Pro to World Class and though I'm still getting slapped silly by the AI, I'm kind of finding they shoot from distance less on World Class than on Pro. That said I still frequently concede from long range shots, well, not really far out, but from just outside the edge of the box. West Brom stuck two past me in fact the last time I played the game.

I'm so far really happy with World Class, I was expecting a kind of 'false' sense of difficulty where the AI would overpower you in tackles, play pinpoint passes etc but so far it's just tough in a footballing sense. The AI still hasn't tried to constantly attack down the wings as it did in FIFA11 and the FIFA12 demo, which is awesome, and I'm still being offered a decent amount of time on the ball too. The lack of AI pressuring like it was in 11 really makes this game so much more playable IMO.

I've also tried Placebo's tip of increasing the injury frequency to 80 with severity way down on 60. It's brilliant. In 3 games either myself or the AI had to sub off a player with a minor injury, much more like real life, and on other occasions players got clattered, and were sitting injured on the ground for ages. The player recovered, the ref called a drop ball, and the AI gave the ball back to me by hitting it down the pitch to my keeper. Love that.

Back to the long shot thing, maybe I'm just seeing more because my defending is still diabolicle. I'm giving far too much space in and around the box which encorages the AI to shoot.

Pro pal. They do shoot usually from just outside. I reckon real long rangers are reserved for Lampard etc and other types of specialty player.

Is Luton in the game?

:LOL: Fucking hell, they're already looking at changing the defending.

EDIT: Sorry, I misheard. They're looking at fixing the 'control GK' exploit. Good. I apologise for stirring.

Last edited:
If someone would care to summarise anything interest would be nice, zero inclination to listen to these I must be honest, tried one for 60 seconds once and the voice of one guy made me want to punch things.

I listened up to the point where Romily Broad mentioned what they were looking at.

1. A bunch of FIFA Ultimate Team bugs (shocker!!) Logging into the Web app, people being disconnected after exiting game during FIFA Ultimate team

2. Taking control over goal-keeper during head-to-head matches. Said they are reviewing and may change it if a vast majority hate it.

3. The rest of the fixes were related to PC. I didn't pay much attention to the specifics but it seemed most dealt with how and the frequency they downloaded updates

Finally said, the first patch would be out in a few weeks. And that unlike in years past where they would be only 1 or 2 patches, they would be patching "throughout the season."

how should i make my settings- manual-assisted for passing shooting etc to improve game?

and does it stay the same online? eg. my new settings.

I listened up to the point where Romily Broad mentioned what they were looking at.

1. A bunch of FIFA Ultimate Team bugs (shocker!!) Logging into the Web app, people being disconnected after exiting game during FIFA Ultimate team

2. Taking control over goal-keeper during head-to-head matches. Said they are reviewing and may change it if a vast majority hate it.

3. The rest of the fixes were related to PC. I didn't pay much attention to the specifics but it seemed most dealt with how and the frequency they downloaded updates

Finally said, the first patch would be out in a few weeks. And that unlike in years past where they would be only 1 or 2 patches, they would be patching "throughout the season."

Nothing about the lack of CPU fouling and the fact they get away with assault?

Only thing that is lacking for me along with summer signings not having the scanned faces.

Had a couple of nice things happen this morning;

That bit of skill above (and an awesome overhead kick by Adebayor) I've saved replays of. But when I go to upload them, it says I need an "Active Profile" to access that. When I go into Profiles, it says my profile is active and there are no options in there at all???

Anyone know what I can do with that?

I think you have to link your PS3 profile with your easportsworld (or easportsfootball) account. I can't remember if you do that in game in options or if you have to do it on the ea website... but basically make sure your default profile is your ps3 one (I say ps3 as that's the console you're playing fifa on, if you were on 360 then of course it would be that)

Anybody playing this on manual, doesnt it feel not fully manual. I dont know what it is, maybe my controller even though its fine.
Manual Passing in this, is not as free as i would like it, especially on balls which I send over the top of the defence.

I edited the sliders so the is zero passing error for me as its on full manual, i dont want the cpu having any input on the outcome of the balls trajectory.

Also on a side note, there are quite a few problems animation wise and movement wise also, there is also a glaring glitch with player selection, i dont want to give examples because then people will look for these faults and i dont want that to happen.
People will see these faults themselves and 1 or 2 months from now will complain until the trinity of new features is announced for FIFA 13.

As weird as this might sound it sorta remainds me of PES.
The line between both games is getting blured and that is not a good thing.:JAY:

I tried playing as Barcelona for the first time in a friendly on World Class with my slider settings on, the game played fantastic. Exactly as Barca would play. With the pass error set to 78 you can feel a vast difference in passes, Xavi can hit long raking crossfield balls that zip and spin across the turf, it's very nice in comparison to those with lesser stats. Brilliant.

That said, I got taken apart 1-4 at the Camp Nou by Napoli. LOL. I just can't defend yet. Despite having 58% of the ball, which is a pretty good, realistic stat, Napoli were lethal in attack. Are other people really not seeing long range efforts? Napoli just tried at least half a dozen in one match. They also took me apart by using the precision dribble to beat Puyol before chipping it over my keeper, as I'll show now. I absolutely love the attacking variety of the AI in this game. Whether it's a change after the sliders, I don't know, but I can't defend against it yet. I must be averaging 3 to 4 goals conceded almost every match, sometimes teams can just run through my defence and I can't get close enough, which is odd because the acceleration and sprint stats were lowered equally to 44 for both user and CPU. I'm guessing I'm just not covering the space properly in defence, chasing the ball too much.

Also the pass completion rates were 80% Barcelona, 70% Napoli. Seems high, but I noticed a lot of error from the AI. Sliced clearances, long balls to no-one, passes adrift etc. In a 15 minute long match the AI basically missed over a quarter of it's passes, or at least didn't reach their target. That makes for a far more realistic game. Add to that, players lying on the ground shaking off injuries, quick throw ins, little cut scenes, it's all so immersive, particularly on broadcast camera.

Despite being World Class level, it affords you tons of time on the ball, and seems to win out defensively by positional play now rather than pressuring. It's great to play. Though, as I'll show in a video, there was a small period in the game where the AI seemed to oddly let up and let me run through the middle of the defence on a couple of occasions. One, with Messi, resulting in a goal. I think it was due to his acceleration, but it still looks a bit odd. I use the precision dribble briefly to change direction slightly, then Messi is able to bounce off a challenge, but after that I just sprint for goal with no real challenge. It looks slightly odd because the player sprint and acceleration speeds are all lowered, but feels right when you play. It feels like a faster game than it does in the replays if that makes sense;

YouTube - 051011 0306

Here's the Naploli goal from the dribbling, terrible defending I know, but impressive goal;

YouTube - 051011 0304

As for the issue of AI long shots, like I said I'm seeing TONS of them. Here are two attempts from long range Napoli tried;

YouTube - 051011 0307

YouTube - 051011 0308

Simply loving the slower, refined gameplay! Looks and plays like the most realistic football game I've ever played after changing the sliders, which is rare from me because I've always been much more of a PES fan.

Last edited:
Coincidentally, I also had a couple of games as Barcelona tonight. I was curious to discover if it is at all possible to play a high pressing style with Tactical Defending.

My conclusion is that you can to some degree, although a) it is very difficult to sustain, even as the stronger team (although I was playing vs Legendary), and b) not really with the Barcelona default custom tactics - better to create your own.

I played as Barca vs Levante at the Camp Nou, 10m/Legendary/Manual with my own sliders. My first attempt was a disaster, I kept being pulled apart at the back by Levante. I learned from that and had a second go and was much more successful.

Here's a goal I scored. Not very spectacular at all, quite boring in fact, but I thought it was typical of Barcelona. Winning the ball high up the pitch, patient short passing with few touches, and overloading the defence on one side to set up a penetrating diagonal from the 'weak side':

(You'll have to excuse some wobbly camera-work with my phone, sorry)
YouTube - FIFA12 - Barca style

Some things to look out for:
1. The wild clearance by the Levante defender, which doesn't just ping straight to their striker on the halfway line like it might have done in FIFA11.
2. The slightly heavy touch by the Levante winger on the dropping ball, which allows Abidal to steal in and keep the ball in their half.
3. The overloading on one flank. Including Pique, I have seven players on the left of the central red line:

barca1g.jpg

Which is what opens up the opportunity for the classic diagonal run from the weak side:
barca2v.jpg

What did I learn for the second match? I re-learned patience and the value of putting my foot on the ball, taking a moment, and delaying. You don't have to be in constant motion or in a rush. This does two things: a) it allows time for your teammates to develop their movements off-the-ball, and b) it also composes you to take your time with the pass (especially on Manual), rather than rushing a poor decision. This turned the tide much more in my favour.

I feel like controlling the tempo, as well as varying it, actually makes an important difference now. I'm also noticing that sustained pressure seems to be playing a role. Am I imagining this? It feels like one team can keep the other camped in their half for a period, and vice versa. Partly this is down to the 'fixed' clearances perhaps, but there also seems to be momentum, as if it affects confidence and composure of the players somehow. The team that has the ball and the territory seems to grow, until the other side can reverse that.

Sometimes I can be camped in my own half, feeling the pressure building, knowing that the longer this goes on the more likely I am to capitulate... and then I eventually regain the ball, slow it down, take a breath and just hold on to it for a little while. Like regaining a foothold on the match. Sometimes I even feel the need to hang onto possession at the back merely to get respite from the demanding concentration of Tactical Defending!

I'm also noticing the CPU react to the situation more. I had a couple of goes at the current Juventus v Milan Challenge mode. The first I lost 1-0, and in the second half Milan were just passing patiently around me while I failed to interrupt their extensive possession. Especially Seedorf. I came back for a second attempt with new ideas and won 2-0, although from about 75/80mins onwards Milan were camped in my half and pressing super high up the pitch to try and claw it back. And that Challenge was set on Professional.

So overall I had some really fun exhibitions tonight. What I think I'm enjoying most is the impression that I need to think and strategise all the time. Not just a gameplan at the start, but constantly judging how and when to vary the tempo, and who to use to orchestrate that.

With Juve, I was constantly looking to slow things down, protect my lead, and allow Pirlo to dictate. Defend with the ball where possible. With Barca I was remaining patient and precise to try and draw Levante out, keep them in their half, and not force it just because I felt my players were more talented.

All in all, finding a lot of good stuff at the moment.

Some great insights there :)

Are you playing legendary? World class is hard enough, but covering space is something I have to work on. I love how the game is offering a challenge with so far none of the annoying traits from FIFA11. Defenders slice clearances, I'm winning my fair share of free kicks and physical challenges, and only conceding goals from good play. The AI feels vastly more intelligent and encourages you to play as patient and realistic as you can according to the players you have available.

What slider settings do you use? The player turns, speed and overall pace looks similar to my game.

I agree that the game encourages spells of pressure like you say. It makes games feel more realistic in terms of the flow of a match, and I love how on world class many AI teams can actually have more possession than me, yet still misplace plenty of passes.

one thing i am finding weird...

why is that most ( all ? ) central defenders as slow as hell ? they usually have sprint speed at 40 / 60 !!!!

i am trying my best to like this game but ... it just doesnt feel or look alike anything i saw on tv in my life !

:( :(

Well the game is finally, somewhat, starting to clikc for me. Actually managed a 3-0 win yesterday...although it was against Swansea...anmd after an early goal to calm my team down. I'm playing a regular league atm to get to grips with the game before starting a full-on CM.

Anyway, what I've noticed is that you now have so much more time on the ball in the final 3rd! I was so in the old rhythm of quickly passing it (nearly one-touch) as the defenders would just be one you in a flash. That's no longer the case, so I can collect the ball have a little dribble to see who to pass to....and if nothing is on I can still turn and twist to keep possesion and wait for a better option / run from my teammates. Helps so much and really makes it enjoyable.

As for defending, admittedly I'm still on legacy defending, but there still remains a lot of the qualities the new defending system has. I've been practising backing off and just trying to cover possible passes and that works really well with the poorer teams. They end up losing patience and the more attacking/adventureous their passing the more often they lose possesion because of passing error (set to 60).

Did you guys play a home game for Barcelona at the nou camp? The default camera there is horrifyingly similar to the one they use in real life to broadcast their home matches. The height and everything.

I would be pleasantly surprised if that were the case. I'll try it out tonight after work.

I just remember asking the same question before and that's the answer I got. It seems strange as it was called semi-assisted so you'd think it was a mix of semi and assisted but I was told it actually meant you would be manual but assisted with some semi settings on passing, crossing and shooting.

Is it me or is there alot of bugs with the Ultimate online mode?

Started my first ever Ultimate team last night and was getting to gripes with it until the stupid game disconnected half way through the second half just after I made a substitution. Tried again and was having a really good online game 2-1 up and again after another substitution I got disconnected shortly after. Seems as though everytime I make a substitution the game likes to disconnect shortly after. Not particularly impressed since all 3 games counts as a loss. Low and behold on the next two games I didn’t make any substitutions and the game finished fine before disconnecting after the points award screen.

Please guys, For keyboard players, do you play in manual settings or semi assissted or how? I mean, with a gamepad I suppousse that you play with manual settingsbut waht about keyboard? Is it worthy to playt in manual or better in semi assissted? or full assissted?
Thanks for your support.

Is it me or is there alot of bugs with the Ultimate online mode?

Started my first ever Ultimate team last night and was getting to gripes with it until the stupid game disconnected half way through the second half just after I made a substitution. Tried again and was having a really good online game 2-1 up and again after another substitution I got disconnected shortly after. Seems as though everytime I make a substitution the game likes to disconnect shortly after. Not particularly impressed since all 3 games counts as a loss. Low and behold on the next two games I didn’t make any substitutions and the game finished fine before disconnecting after the points award screen.

I never had a dc on FUT or online I`ve played over 40 games. I never sub at HT I usually change players(subs) at the 70th or 75th minute mark. I actually love FUT managing squads,selling and the importance of chemistry! getting a trophy is not easy but how rewarding it is when ya do. Stick with it don`t be discourage by a few losses due to dc it will get better . Once you start winning more your DNF% will increase again.

Few more notes.

Lost my first league game in CM mode. Not bad considering i'm playin full manual on legendary. Warning signs were coming really. Beat Port Vale in the Cup 1-0 and to be honest, i was rubbish. They missed a late penatly. Game after was Everton at home. Again, i scored early but they battered me. I somehow managed a 3-0 win.

Then came Blackburn at Ewood. 1-0 up again. I dominate possession but they seemed o just play through me every time. I end up losing 3-1. Got United next at Old Trafford aswell (fixture re-schedule). Will take a point now.

I'm enjoying it(as you can probably tell). I do have a few gripes though...

Most of my goals are one on ones. Practically all of the CPU goals are one on ones. Defenders seem awfully sluggish. It's easy to sprint past one with the ball for both me and the CPU, so this leads to the one on one chances.

It's really easy to cut inside from the corner of the box and curl one into the far corner, even using manual settings.

Manual doesn't quite have the freedom that it used to. It's clearly more assisted, and i still see instances of certain passes being scripted regardless of where i attempt to play the ball. It happens a lot of if i get into a 2 v 1 situation with their defender. The ball will magically always end up with the defender, like he has a magnet, regardless of where i aim the pass.

Player switching on corners is shocking. Defending a corner, i can only lock on to certain players, and none of them are in good positions. I can lock on to a player outside the box, or a player defending the front post. Near useless. This leads to the CPU winning almost every header from a corner.

There's literally no free-kicks at all. Despite these minor flaws, it's really enjoyable.

I probably average something like 3-4 freekicks per game from the AI, obviously a bit low but over the course of 30 matches I've had at least 5 penalties from fouls in the box for a start :)

As for defending corners, I have the 6ft 7inch bald head of Rob Jones to look out for so I just rapidly flick the right stick until he's selected and put him somewhere between near post and center circle and use him to head the ball away :)

I just remember asking the same question before and that's the answer I got. It seems strange as it was called semi-assisted so you'd think it was a mix of semi and assisted but I was told it actually meant you would be manual but assisted with some semi settings on passing, crossing and shooting.

Well i eventually got to try out the semi-assisted settings last night after a bloody long wait. Why is everyone so set on playing assisted all the time? I dont know how many times i matched up with an opponent only for them to quit when they noticed there was no controller settings option.

It is so difficult to have a ranked match (so i know the other guy has to use TD) with semi-assisted settings. H2H Seasons only gives you the option of manual or any settings so I had to register for EA Arena and create my own match. It took a while but eventually someone was willing to give me a game.

Probably the best game on FIFA12 Ive had yet. Why cant semi be the default setting. Get rid of assisted, legacy defending and the option to press select to control the keeper and online would be amazing.

Btw, when playing on semi_assisted the through balls felt like they were manual to me but is there anyway to confirm if that is the case?

I seem to remember reading somewhere that on semi-assisted the settings that only have assisted or manual default to manual, obviously throughballs is one that only has the options of assisted or manual.

Player switching on corners is shocking. Defending a corner, i can only lock on to certain players, and none of them are in good positions. I can lock on to a player outside the box, or a player defending the front post. Near useless. This leads to the CPU winning almost every header from a corner.
Like Placebo says, just use the right stick to flick to the guy you want. I find that the CPU likes to aim the corner towards his tallest player more often than not, so I use the right stick to select a guy to mark him.

Why the need to make manual more assisted?
I can't understand it and it has been going on since FIFA 10.
I sometimes load up that game only to feel what manual really is, this right now is a joke in comparison, it's ten times easier and on occasions outright scripted/assisted.

I just don't get it as it's clearly a deliberate design choice.

Back
Top Bottom