FIFA 12 Discussion Thread

I'm somewhat with Matherto on the defending front.

I always did the tactical defending with jockey in other footie games so Nerf's descriptions are a lot like how I play anyway. However what is frustrating me (and is somewhat highlighted by Nerf's ommision) is that the actual tackling, when you finally do get close to the player, is really hard....or unbalanced.

I think there is some need to tweak the sliders with regard to user/cpu speed and acceleration as half the time even when sprinting with my faster players I can't even get near a Carrick type player! He can maintain a distance from my sprinting player for about 1/3 of the pitch....and then switches direction and can do it again from one of my other players.

There seems to be very little "power" when tackling with a player. I realise it's now very much down to timing, but if my player is already alongside the AI player and I press tackle most of the time they will just switch direction and leave my player for dead...as he is still finishing his tackle animation. It just feels a bit "off" to me, it may be my lack of games and learning defending, but there is still a nagging feeling that it isn't a football timing issue but a gaming timing issue. Making it feel unintuative. I wouldn't mind if my "poor" timing would result in a freekick...then it would feel natural, but now the AI player just skips away making it feel a bit pes-broken.

I fully agree with those two bolded paragraphs above - there's something a little "off" with defending and tackling in the game. A massive improvement over 11 but still not quite balanced correctly.

It's a typical EA over-reaction really. Just like what they did with speed in FIFA 10 to deal with sprint whores in 09, FIFA has gone from tackling being FAR too easy in 11 to just a little too difficult in 12.

Like I said, it's an overall improvement no doubt but still slightly unbalanced.

Agree with Dryzer on the stuttering defender thing, maybe it is a slider issue, but to be honest it's not ruined the game for me. I'm sure it doesn't happen as much on higher difficulties (or I hope) but it's not like I'm scoring goals off the glitch anyways.

I tried a couple of different games, Man Utd at home to Norwich and I noticed quite a lot of difference between the likes of Smalling on the ball compared to, say, Nani. You'd expect this, but his first touch especially when moving him towards the ball before taking control of the ball was far worse than Nani's, which is nice to see. Smalling bombing down the right wing didn't feel anywhere near as responsive as other players, and despite the glitch mentioned above, he didn't make an impact when trying to beat the Norwich full back for pace.

The other game, I played Newcastle at home to Chelsea, and lost 0-2, Chelsea were peppering my goal with long range efforts. Torres scored with one, Lampard must have come close with 4 or 5 long range shots too, one from about 35 yards out. Really great to see.

I'm still tinkering around with the sliders, but it's improving every time I change them. I increased the injury frequency slider and Mata had to go off for Chelsea, then Drogba got clattered when taking a shot and stayed on the floor for ages while the game went on around him. Much more realistic.

The game also restarted from Mata's injury as a drop ball, another inclusion I didn't know existed, just like the multiple commentators. Nice!

One thing I'm confused about though is the player run frequency slider. Set on 0, or 100, it didn't make a drastic difference, but players were supporting the attack a lot more, for both sides. I'm not sure how high to set this.

Might be in tandem with the custom tactics settings for player movement. I just wasn't getting any movement from my attack (liverpool, organised attack risk/shooting/etc at about 50/60 and slider setting at 50). Changed the rating for all to max and every other player started making a run forward when I was dribbling towards him. I still haven't altered the wingback frequency so maybe with that aswell you can get some decent movement up front. However if the AI wins the ball back I'm screwed with my current defending skills.

I do find that pushing the 'Chance Creation Passing' custom tactic setting up to (or near) 100 can make a real difference to the movement of your players in the final third (and only affects the final third). More penetrating runs by forwards and midfielders.

Anyone care to post the default controller settings? Kinda messed mine up/

Also, how do you check your DNF% ? I was playing ultimate team and the person quite but it displayed DNF% as 1.03. I havent even quit from a match this year.

Anyone?

I just tried a quick game and had a go at the double tap of the right stick and you can indeed perform a larger knock on. It's great.

That said, I tried a friendly as Real Madrid and they are insanely good. In fact, too good. Having lost a series of games today I tried Real and tonked the CPU 5-0. Ronaldo is literally able to take the ball halfway in his own half, and using the double knock on, can get a full on sprint at goal until he's through on the keeper. He can literally take the ball 70 yards by just knocking it into space and thrashing everyone for speed. Really odd. I suppose it's a good job I have no intention of playing with Real either offline or online then, because I've yet to play as any team with a player this devastating. Maybe Messi is the same, but certainly Man Utd don't have any player capable of sprinting 70 yards down the line and cutting in for a shot at goal.

Last edited:
Had something wierd happen to me, not even sure how to explain it!

Was playing a CM game, Napoli V Genoa and Genoa (CPU) were given a penalty. My keeper saved the penalty but the next thing i know the the ref gives another penalty! My daughter then decided to climb all over me so i kind of missed what happened but the ref either gave a retake for my keeper moving too soon or actually awarded another penalty for my keeper handballing it!

Anyone else had this happen?

had something that never happened before... was playing as arsenal v man u in CM (wound up getting killed at 6-0 with rooney hat trick... TOO realistic). anyway, i am V5 and covering Chiq, and my AI Mertsacker gives hard foul to rooney (not a slide tackle, just standing), and PENALTY! never seen my AI give up a penalty (standing or sliding)... just irritating enough to feel realistic

Any word on Live Season and why it isn't free when its supposed to be?

Dont think i ever saw Live Season advertised as being free. Ultimate team is what was free and included on disc for the first time. Not sure i saw Live Season included in that.

anyone with some ideas how to start his f***ing game? installation was ok. but by starting, fifa 12 crashes down. crash dump file in my folder. i have an xbox controller. ea sucks. no statement or answer about my email

Dont think i ever saw Live Season advertised as being free. Ultimate team is what was free and included on disc for the first time. Not sure i saw Live Season included in that.

It definately was confirmed months ago that Live Season would be free.

And then we go on to the little details. David Rutter said he had a list full of improvements in his pocket and he couldn’t remember all of them but I did notice a few. The season previews and the board’s objectives are a little more elaborate now with the commentators talking about these objectives in the beginning of the season. You can now save squads, so if you have a B-squad for cup matches, you can now instantly change your team. Swapping players in Team Management is also easier now with a new quick swap feature (triangle for PS3, Y for 360). Also, you can now substitute more than 3 players in friendlies. Not career mode related but Rutter announced that Live Season will be entirely free this year. EA Sports Football Clubs is not limited to ‘Live Season’ teams. You can pick every team that is available in FIFA which sounds great.

http://fifasoccerblog.com/blog/fifablog-be-career-mode-impressions/

No one seems to know anything and its doing my head in.

Loving this game far more than I thought I would - best FIFA ever without doubt. So much so, I'm seriously considering giving PES a miss now - and I LOVE PES!

This is really close to real football (in my eyes - cue loads of people pointing stuff out!...) but the physical confrontations that really add a random edge to the game that was never there before. A simple challenge in the air between 2 players means the ball can go anywhere now, or both players can collapse in a heap, or injuries etc.

The game just flows beautifully, love the little touches like the quick throw ins - why has no game had this before?!

Face graphics are also better than PES I think - some of them are stunning, though I think PES just about outdoes it in the player modelling and animations to give an overall better representation of most players, but its great to have so many faces modelled nicely.

I've enjoyed all sorts of different goals on this and some sweet build up play, but what I really like about this FIFA is that build up is realistically rare. A lot of the play can be scrappy - back and forth, midfield scrap, long balls to fight for - and then someone gets their foot on the ball and picks a pass out, or a move develops and creates a chance. Very realistic IMO. Previous FIFAs have frustrated in this area, especially in the lower leagues where players just were not responsive enough, meaning it was hard to knock the ball around - games resorted soley to midfield trudgery.

But now lower league players are nimble and responsive enough to enjoy a bit of decent football. Not Barca levels, but enough to have a realistic game of lower league footie. Adjust the sliders a bit to allow for pass errors etc and its superb.

The top leagues still have that special pull though. Some nice things from the weekend;

1) Sunderland (me) v Bolton in a random PL game. I went 1-0 down quickly and was awful in the first half. Swapped Larsson over second half and got him on the ball more and came back into it - Bendtner with a couple of lovely goals. My fans start singing "You're not singing any more!!" - Bolton fans respond with loud chants of "COME ON BOLTON, COME ON BOLTON!" - was superb great atmosphere. Sessegnon made it 3 with a late break and was one of the best football games I've played.

2) Played Spurs (me) v Newcastle and that was so enjoyable, even though I lost 3-1 this time. Spurs have a great side on FIFA and gonna be a lot of fun to play as them.

3) Started a CM as Plymouth and the restructuring of the MM is amazing, so much better. Still get some silly transfers and a few niggles still exist, but on the whole its a massive improvement. Transfer deadline day is a lot of fun!

4) I watched Liverpool v Everton straight after a long FIFA session and its scarily close to the real thing at times.

I look forward to playing this every time and always come away similing - again, something I could never level at a previous FIFA. No, its not perfect and yes its frustrating at times, but overall I'm well chuffed I queued at midnight now!

Last edited:
pb: I'm of the same opinion at the mo mate. Best FIFA ever and it's making my PES purchase harder to justify. Why oh why do Konami release two weeks after FIFA. Christ. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot.

The most important slider to me so far has been passing accuracy. I play on semi so this balances out the misplaced passing. 75 is a good enough place to pop the bar and watch as the AI ACTUALLY MAKE MISTAKES. Nice. Games can then play out more fairly. The Ai can still pull out some amazing goals but not as unfairly as before. Sliders are a godsend.

I've also made my passing a tad zippier with the sliders and it's perfect. A good player passing the ball around now looks very dangerous. Ganso for instance was carving west ham a new one in my game :LOL:

EA have changed the way we play FIFA this year and I like it. It takes some getting used to but it's for the better. I'm excited to see how EA refine all of this for next year.

Big mention for Simon Humber. CM mode is a colossal leap over last year. So much more to think about. Humber's attention to detail is that of a fan, similar to Seabass. I just hope the bugs in career mode are patched out this year.

Agree with you guys about Simon Humber. He's got a big fanbase now among us real fans, something Marcel Kuhn didn't! And even the problems that are there now, they can be fixed later... because a really solid foundation has been built for CM.

pb, why don't you share your CM stories in CM thread with us? And why Plymouth and not Southend as your CM team?

Agree with you guys about Simon Humber. He's got a big fanbase now among us real fans, something Marcel Kuhn didn't! And even the problems that are there now, they can be fixed later... because a really solid foundation has been built for CM.

pb, why don't you share your CM stories in CM thread with us? And why Plymouth and not Southend as your CM team?

Yea, might do!

I cannot play as Southend in a career mode (or FM etc) - cos I know the players so well, I tend to stick to the same 'best' team and hate buying new players etc. Its odd...

But at any other club, I love building them up and finding new talents to become stars etc!

I play a lot of friendlies as Southend though (and my last CM for Plymouth was away at Southend and I get well pasted, escaping with only a 2-1 defeat with a last second consolation).

(dont want to bother the discussion, but i`m searching for a fifa editing website i tried google, but its very on the down side the websites i find, maybe some of you could help me, i`m searching especially for fifa 12. let me know ):D

Back
Top Bottom