FIFA 12 Discussion Thread

I've the same 3 and I'm on x360 but also North American version.

Shame too because the French commentary sucks!! Wish I had Arabic or Italian instead!

Won't we be able to just download them from the shop in the next few weeks? Didn't they do that for 11?

The creation centre passed me by somewhat, but I seem to remember someone mentioning being able to download other people's creations. Does that also count towards stadium assignments and names?

Last edited:
lol i lost my first online game 7-1 against barca playing with spurs and loved it :lol I BOSSED the guy but he just used the flick stick to burst from any counter. All my corners were ending up with his goals. just won the last two though cause i actually can beat people this year by sending them the wrong way haha.

BIG problem though.

It logs me out of EA server when i want to play career mode. Anyone have this? My Nat is on Open.

Also theres some kinda roster bug thats stopping em playing head to head games after another. I have to log out and log back in. WTF EA??? is this just meeeeee????

I still find it completely useless in or just outside the box, same with the majority of dribbling... the AI just don't seem to miss a tackle in those situations.

Well now that I've slowed player movement right down with the sliders I don't have to use it so much, but I mainly use it for giving myself some extra time on the ball when surrounded by AI defenders. Precision dribble seems to make the AI stand off which also allows you to carefully change direction on the spot and lay the ball off for others who make late runs.

Can't use it to dribble past players as yet.

I keep running into a bug where if an opposing winger or lb/rb has the ball, if I use the new contain thing on them they will turn and run back towards their own goal..... Then just continue running back until it nearly goes off for a corner where they'll clear the ball for a throw.
Obviously I can released the button to let him have the space he needs to turn and pass forward... But it feels kind of un natural to allow their players to turn around and pass forward when I'm trying to win.

Last edited:
Yesterday i alos came across a weird bug.
I was playing together with my daughter: Belgium (we) against Ivory Coast. It was an absolutely crazy match we dominated the first half but scored only once. At halftime it was 1-1 (one shot for Ivory Coast, 11 for us). After an even more crazy second half with goals galore (3-3) we had to play prolongations. In the end we won the match 7-5. In extra time of the second prolongation Germany had throw in near our goal, but not a single Ivory CVoast player came anyway near the player that had to throw in. The CPU player just stood there and waited for maybe a minute and a half and then finally threw the ball to our GK. After that the ref finished the match. Weird bug, but a grat match to play

I keep running into a bug where if an opposing winger or lb/rb has the ball, if I use the new contain thing on them they will turn and run back towards their own goal..... Then just continue running back until it nearly goes off for a corner

Happening quite a lot to me, too, and I'm not even using the contain button. Sometimes they'll also run back towards their goal, then right across the pitch to the other wing. They'll have plenty of opportunity to pass it to a defensive or midfield team-mate, but in the end just hump a useless ball out of play or straight up the pitch to my back 4.

Also finding the cpu team hardly ever puts in a cross. They'll get into crossing positions, but always turn back, then fanny around and lose possession, or eventually put in a pathetic cross that goes straight out of play at 45 degrees. This is even with a custom tactic set to 100 for crossing and risky passing, etc.

They also never shoot from any sort of range, even with custom tactic set to 100 for shooting. I've read one or two people say they've seen something like an Arsenal cpu player shoot from range, suggesting it's player specific. So, apart from a handful of players from top teams in the game, no cpu players shoots from range? Not good news if your starting out a career in League 2. Three whole season of no cpu long range shoots, along with no cpu crosses, and, of course, no cpu fouls. :YAWN:

Yesterday i alos came across a weird bug.
I was playing together with my daughter: Belgium (we) against Ivory Coast. It was an absolutely crazy match we dominated the first half but scored only once. At halftime it was 1-1 (one shot for Ivory Coast, 11 for us). After an even more crazy second half with goals galore (3-3) we had to play prolongations. In the end we won the match 7-5. In extra time of the second prolongation Germany had throw in near our goal, but not a single Ivory CVoast player came anyway near the player that had to throw in. The CPU player just stood there and waited for maybe a minute and a half and then finally threw the ball to our GK. After that the ref finished the match. Weird bug, but a grat match to play

Wow that was a crazy match, with Belgium being substituted for extra time! ;)

And tested the CT's out, and have come to the same conclusions as Winston. They don't have enough effect, it seems slightly more than 11 (which was maybe 5%) but not close enough to 10. Played an AI v AI match and there wasn't enough difference between teams, the AI spent a couple of minutes just turning and turning near the cornerflag before finally passing it to a teammate.

It seems to me that the gameplay (generally speaking across the different versions now) is developed purely in a reactionary manner to what the user input is (both actual gameplay and gameplay feedback). And then you have to wonder which user input they take as a base. The AI turning for example just seems like something they added in to combat the ease with which we could win the ball back in 11. It doesn't seem to have anything to do with the player actually needing to do it to get the best football result (a better crossing position, keeping possesion, switching the angle of play, etc), but seems like something added in when an opposition player gets within a certain range, irrespective of what is actually going on.

The game is better, no question, and I'm enjoying it and think it will last a decent while (still need to download the pes12.2 demo). However there are still blatent examples of poor development / lack of football understanding going on which is a real shame. Wish they would get someone on board that has the subtlety and vision to not need overhauls and revolutions and trinity's to improve the game...as the tech is surely in place already.

Just created my Gameface online :

camera6_370833679.png

Pretty good. The 3D model is freaky. Unsure how it will replicate it in-game on the 360, mind.

Great game in my experience so far. EA have to get rid of the press select to control keeper option online though. What's the point of adding TD and then using this option to let the AI do the defending for you. Absolutely baffles me that one. Hopefully it gets patched.

One thing that's really impressed me especially after playing with three different "grades" of players in 3 CMs (started with Man City, then Newcastle and now Wednesday), when you make a pass with a good passer they tend to put the pass in front of the player you're passing to, when you make a pass with a bad passer of the ball they tend to put it where the player is at the time of the pass, thus they have to check their run etc, or worse still they put the pass behind the player which completely halts your attack and you need to start over, really liking that, the really good passes even put a nice curve on the ball when they pass to another player sometimes, looks great and it really makes you use the playmaker type players for the more appropriate passes and keep it short for the not so good passers.

picked up my copy this morning, and went through a couple of games. i have to say, after years of PES i kind of think of this as a very fresh and new experience in football games.

however im experiencing some problems, mainly with my controller config. im currently using a ps to usb connector that looks like this to play

images

and i cant change the default settings, which sets the select button as start button and vice versa. and i also noticed that my right stick isnt working. how do i fix this problem?

help would be really appreciated, thanks :)

Anyone care to post the default controller settings? Kinda messed mine up/

Also, how do you check your DNF% ? I was playing ultimate team and the person quite but it displayed DNF% as 1.03. I havent even quit from a match this year.

One thing that's really impressed me especially after playing with three different "grades" of players in 3 CMs (started with Man City, then Newcastle and now Wednesday), when you make a pass with a good passer they tend to put the pass in front of the player you're passing to, when you make a pass with a bad passer of the ball they tend to put it where the player is at the time of the pass, thus they have to check their run etc, or worse still they put the pass behind the player which completely halts your attack and you need to start over, really liking that, the really good passes even put a nice curve on the ball when they pass to another player sometimes, looks great and it really makes you use the playmaker type players for the more appropriate passes and keep it short for the not so good passers.

I've noticed that too. Modric plays some gorgeous looking curled passes that skim across the turf whereas Parker next to him sometimes passes and it goes behind it's target and bobbles around like he's mis-hit the ball. Really nice, and like I said before, with the pass error increased, this seems to be even more noticeable :)

Just created my Gameface online :

Pretty good. The 3D model is freaky. Unsure how it will replicate it in-game on the 360, mind.

Let me know how your game face turns out in-game, my 3D model looks identical to me on the EA website, all seems to match up with skin tones etc, then when I upload it to the game, my player has a bright pink & white luminous face and sunburnt neck.....

Oh and one issue that seems like it might be a big problem is the fact that with certain players, like Bale or Lennon, they seem able to sometimes sprint with the ball for about 70 yards with no challenge. I nearly scored three or four times against QPR by getting the ball to Bale, then powering down the left wing and cutting in on goal. He does do that in real life, but the AI defender noticeably stops running when you pass him. Maybe it's a sign of being on just Professional level, but shouldn't really be happening.

anyone had there goalkeeper come out for a ball and step out the area. Ive just had it in the Manager mode. they goat a free kick on the edge of the box. I saved the vid looked really cool.

Im conceding so many goals on WC mode, dont want to step down though

Don't know if this has been posted, but it's a very good defending tutorial, for those still a little unsure of how TD works or even if you think you've mastered it :

YouTube - Fifa 12 | Defending Tutorial | How to defend in Fifa 12 | HD
That's pretty good. His points about switching players frequently to maintain defensive structure, and playing with anticipation, are I think the most important ones. The secret to effective pressing is anticipating the next available option(s) before the pass is played.

This might be what I'm enjoying most about FIFA12. I'm finding defending almost as much fun as attacking. It's still very difficult to protect your penalty area, but as others have mentioned, it is very satisfying to pressure an opponent into a mistake or interception and win the ball back high up the pitch.

Here's one I just had, playing an exhibition as Derby against Crystal Palace. I've resisted the temptation to drop the difficulty level, so this is still on Legendary, although I've lowered the half length from 15 to 10.

The Palace CB just dis-possessed my attacker and is bringing the ball out of defence. Unfortunately there's not much down the line for him, the nearest teammate is marked, and he can't squeeze the ball through to his forward. So he ends up offloading the ball backwards to his supporting fullback, so he can return to position.
press1y.jpg

The fullback's immediate forward options are marked. However, there's another teammate in obvious space infield... but I've spotted this too. I use the right thumbstick to switch to the player marked in blue...
press2.jpg

...and by the time the fullback has turned inside, I've already shut off that option:
press3m.jpg

At this point I'm now also holding [RB] (teammate contain) to start to pressure the fullback, who has had all of his options closed off. He turns and dribbles away under pressure. Still controlling the player further infield, I leave the first man I was marking and push on further to now press the centre-back, closing that option too:
press4w.jpg

The fullback attempts a rushed pass back to his goalkeeper which, on this occasion, is sliced inaccurately out of play for a Derby corner:
press5.jpg

I'm finding it very engaging to try and anticipate and block the passing lanes in this way, it's a lot of fun.

I'm also finding that the CPU is able to consistently match me on the possession stats - in this game Palace edged it with about 53%. Which is nice.

Last edited:
So do people endorse this game? Generally i hated Fifa 10 because of it's simplicity and found Fifa 11 to be very similar albeit less annoying. I'm not too excited for either PES or Fifa this year at current but i must say there's so much bickering on the PES forum that it's really turning me off of the game as i am failing to get a good grasp of what the retail version (with the patch) is actually like. The only people who seem to be defending the game amongst all of the issues that a lot of people seem to have with the game are the ardent PES fans, so i don't know what to make of the situation. In contrast everybody in this thread seems to generally be enjoying this game (with sliders). How would you describe it? Just the atypical fun Fifa game which whilst fun still lacks any reasonable depth or relation to the way football is actually played, or have they stepped it up this year and delivered a game that has a learning curve and does well to reflect general aspects of football (i.e the game not still being really streamlined and somewhat scripted).

Last edited:
I was an ardent pes fan in the ps2 days and enjoyed 2011 except from the weird bugs and triple tap crossing.

Honestly, the FIFA demo and retail game has been great offline to me. Online matches were terrible assisted quick ones, but maybe cus I wasn't patient in finding proper matches.

Offline, it's been great. Waiting for my we2012 copy now. Would be playing both this year, something I've never tried before.

I can't defend for shit.

Literally never been more frustrated with a football game in my life.

Nothing you do results in getting anywhere near their players on legendary. It's like playing a basketball game, just run around and hope that when they inevitably get clean through on goal they either hit it at the keeper or miss.

So do people endorse this game? Generally i hated Fifa 10 because of it's simplicity and found Fifa 11 to be very similar albeit less annoying. I'm not too excited for either PES or Fifa this year at current but i must say there's so much bickering on the PES forum that it's really turning me off of the game as i am failing to get a good grasp of what the retail version (with the patch) is actually like. The only people who seem to be defending the game amongst all of the issues that a lot of people seem to have with the game are the ardent PES fans, so i don't know what to make of the situation. In contrast everybody in this thread seems to generally be enjoying this game (with sliders). How would you describe it? Just the atypical fun Fifa game which whilst fun still lacks any reasonable depth or relation to the way football is actually played, or have they stepped it up this year and delivered a game that has a learning curve and does well to reflect general aspects of football (i.e the game not still being really streamlined and somewhat scripted).

It's got a LONG way to go towards replicating real football, but with little slider tweaks here and there it feels a lot more realistic compared to FIFA 10 and 11. It feels like it's taken a lot of the stuff I liked in FIFA09 and gone with that instead.

So far, even on Professional level, the AI seems so much more advanced than last year's game, and than the demo. It's scored a variety of goals against me, keeps possession of the ball a lot more than ever, passing sideways, backwards etc. The new way of defending this year has a lot to do with that, but as nerf says it makes defending so much more tactical and skilful than ever before. I haven't tried it on the higher difficulties but nevertheless, so far so good.

I'll still be buying PES too this year as I absolutely love that demo, so for me it's a win win situation this year! But if you've ever enjoyed a FIFA game then this is by far the best ever version of the franchise, in my opinion.

It's got a LONG way to go towards replicating real football, but with little slider tweaks here and there it feels a lot more realistic compared to FIFA 10 and 11. It feels like it's taken a lot of the stuff I liked in FIFA09 and gone with that instead.

So far, even on Professional level, the AI seems so much more advanced than last year's game, and than the demo. It's scored a variety of goals against me, keeps possession of the ball a lot more than ever, passing sideways, backwards etc. The new way of defending this year has a lot to do with that, but as nerf says it makes defending so much more tactical and skilful than ever before. I haven't tried it on the higher difficulties but nevertheless, so far so good.

I'll still be buying PES too this year as I absolutely love that demo, so for me it's a win win situation this year! But if you've ever enjoyed a FIFA game then this is by far the best ever version of the franchise, in my opinion.

Thanks for your opinion. In all honesty i think i'm willing to give Fifa a chance this year if just to try out the sliders to see how much i can customise the game. I actually like the idea of a new defending system too.

I'm somewhat with Matherto on the defending front.

I always did the tactical defending with jockey in other footie games so Nerf's descriptions are a lot like how I play anyway. However what is frustrating me (and is somewhat highlighted by Nerf's ommision) is that the actual tackling, when you finally do get close to the player, is really hard....or unbalanced.

I think there is some need to tweak the sliders with regard to user/cpu speed and acceleration as half the time even when sprinting with my faster players I can't even get near a Carrick type player! He can maintain a distance from my sprinting player for about 1/3 of the pitch....and then switches direction and can do it again from one of my other players.

There seems to be very little "power" when tackling with a player. I realise it's now very much down to timing, but if my player is already alongside the AI player and I press tackle most of the time they will just switch direction and leave my player for dead...as he is still finishing his tackle animation. It just feels a bit "off" to me, it may be my lack of games and learning defending, but there is still a nagging feeling that it isn't a football timing issue but a gaming timing issue. Making it feel unintuative. I wouldn't mind if my "poor" timing would result in a freekick...then it would feel natural, but now the AI player just skips away making it feel a bit pes-broken.

Last edited:
Im ok with defending, used to it now especially after switching the buttons around.

Just did a test on that a.i issue when your wingers run with the ball and the cpu ignores you. I just loaded up a clean version of fifa and left the sliders alone. the cpu was harder to get past and didnt stop dead. I only seen one half hearted stutter from a defender, as in it was terrible with my tweaked sliders. Im wondering if its the speed? If you turn it down to stop the a.i reacting quickly and turning quickly whether it affects there defending?
Dunno.

Unquestionably this is a big improvement over 11 and, though it still has issues in FIFA's usual problem areas - AI and player movement in particular - all I can say is that I've experienced some of my best football gaming of this console generation with FIFA 12.

FIFA 12 can still frustrate and I'll go through times when I'm just not in-sync with FIFA's gameplay, but overall I'd say it's a pretty darn good game.

Back
Top Bottom