Fifa 12 Career Mode Discussions

Perhaps using the term 'scripting' wasn't quite right of me to say, but there is a definite 'boost' in terms of CPU player speed, ball control, everything, when it wants. Nerf said all but as much about random cup matches against lower league teams feeling like they're all super powered, and I noticed this very distinct change in the CPU the moment I took the lead in that FA Cup semi final. The fact that it then managed to squeeze two extremely dubious goals out of me in the last three minutes of the match to turn defeat into a win, didn't surprise me to be honest.

To try and balance things up, the CPU boosting sometimes seems to go the other way in your favour on occasion: in the past I've played Man Utd or Chelsea and they've been like absolute duffers, allowing me to win easily. I guess it's a replication of form and good/bad peformances, but it's just a shame that it always seems to produce super powered CPU performances in the vital cup matches. But then this has always been a trait of football games, I remember PES in the PS2 days being the same.

It's a shame because when it plays regularly, using your sliders, Placebo, it's awesome.

A little update on my Man Utd CM...

Transfers.
The winter transfer window has just closed, and I ended up making a deadline day signing, bringing in Jordi Alba from Valencia for £13m to compete with Evra at LB. Injuries & fixture congestion meant that my existing defence was stretched to the limit, so the plan of rotating Evra & Fabio wasn't quite working.
He's been linked with United IRL, & fits into my policy of being able to cover extra positions.
I also signed De Vrij for £3.8m, but that was to replace Jonny Evans, who moved to Wolves for £4m. My 2 main targets aren't available yet, so he seemed a good alternative.
Ogude & Leitner are still impressing, so I think I'll activate the purchase option when their loans finish. I was planning to promote Pogba, but now he's running off to Juve (in real life) he's on his way out!
Berbatov is also on borrowed time after throwing a strop in the media, and demanding to be transfer listed. He was, but only Liverpool & City came in for him. Rejected both offers regardless (they were well short of his value anyway!), so he has insisted I sell him in the next window, even though he is getting quite a bit of playing time...

Matches.
So, January has just finished and United are sitting pretty at the top of the league by 5 points. It sounds good, but it's been bloody hard! Several injuries to the team meant fielding weaker line ups in the big games, & even weaker line ups in the Cup games!
Thought I had an easy tie away to Derby, but they made life very tough (and a faux par from Lindegaard helped) and forced a replay, which was scheduled between a League game away to Chelsea, & a Carling Cup Semi Final 2nd Leg, so every member of the squad was used that week!
Scraped into the Carling Cup Final after a tough 2 games against Everton. They beat us 1-0 at Old Trafford, so the youngsters needed to step up at Goodison. Risked pairing Welbeck & Jordan Rhodes (wanted to keep Welbeck fresh for the league), but it paid off as we won 3-1 (3-2 on aggregate).
The next game was a home match against Stoke, so was prepared to lose a couple of players to rugby injuries. Worry not, as no injuries happened, but took out 2 of their boys (unintentionally of course)! They managed to stop me playing my usual passing game, so with a little formation change I managed to sneak a 2-0 win.

February should be busy, as rescheduled league games need to be played, and several players are returning from injury, as well as introducing the new boys to the team. Hopefully "Squeaky Bum Time" won't be required! :)

Last edited:
I've definitely had cup matches against opponents who perform vastly above their ability from kick-off. I've also had cup matches where that hasn't been the case. I'd speculate it could be the effects of strong form/morale coming into the fixture.

Within a match, I also feel like there are peaks and troughs in confidence. Completing passes and getting shots on target, while denying the opposition chance to do the same, can make it feel like one team is temporarily 'buzzing' (more responsive, more competent) while the other is temporarily unsteady (with opposite effects). I don't know how much of that is imagined.

The AI will definitely alter its match strategy during play depending on the score. The most obvious one is when they're losing, in the 80th minute they'll understandably start pressing extremely high up the pitch. The commentator will usually mention this change of strategy too.

I expect that the AI's strategy involves sometimes becoming tactically more aggressive/attacking (just raising the Mentality bar?) at the end of each half, and that if this is combined with confidence gleaned from a period of positive play, it can be difficult to contain. Best thing to do is to anticipate this and think about how you're going to close it out.

It's certainly not the case that CPU goals are "scripted" and unavoidable. Sometimes it's better to take a breath and think about planning around it, rather than only reacting in the moment.

I've definitely had cup matches against opponents who perform vastly above their ability from kick-off. I've also had cup matches where that hasn't been the case. I'd speculate it could be the effects of strong form/morale coming into the fixture.

Within a match, I also feel like there are peaks and troughs in confidence. Completing passes and getting shots on target, while denying the opposition chance to do the same, can make it feel like one team is temporarily 'buzzing' (more responsive, more competent) while the other is temporarily unsteady (with opposite effects). I don't know how much of that is imagined.

The AI will definitely alter its match strategy during play depending on the score. The most obvious one is when they're losing, in the 80th minute they'll understandably start pressing extremely high up the pitch. The commentator will usually mention this change of strategy too.

I expect that the AI's strategy involves sometimes becoming tactically more aggressive/attacking (just raising the Mentality bar?) at the end of each half, and that if this is combined with confidence gleaned from a period of positive play, it can be difficult to contain. Best thing to do is to anticipate this and think about how you're going to close it out.

It's certainly not the case that CPU goals are "scripted" and unavoidable. Sometimes it's better to take a breath and think about planning around it, rather than only reacting in the moment.

good post.

I think it is good. I have had games against big teams that I have dominated, then they have beaten me convincingly in others. Just look at Arsenal vs Ac Milan over two legs...it happens.

Smaller teams playing out of their skins in cups? happens all of the time, Cardiff in the League cup final anyone? giant killings seem to happen every year aswell in real life.

I think it is great, instead of going into a game knowing you are superior and will win, you have uncertainty, you have to play well and not just expect to win....just like in real life.

You can stop them scoring in the 90th minute I don't think it is scripted, but they will be attacking more, if they are losing and your team will be more tired and mistakes are more likely to happen.

I'm not saying it is all exactly fantastic, and I have had my moments where I have bitten the controller, but I feel overall it is pretty good how a season and the teams you play are experienced.

it sometimes feels like scripting but i suppose it does reflect real life. In my CM Scunthorpe have been playing out of their skin when i've pulled off one or two awesome wins like in this (my second season) beating Man U 4-3 in the Carling Cup and a dramatic 3-3 draw where normally static players were making messi type runs.

Then again, straight after big wins when i thought my team would be buzzing i get trashed, with Watford putting 4 past me with every shot going in. My high morale players managed to bag 2 goals in that but really i was trashed. Many other hammerings from fairly level teams who play like they're on drugs.
Guess like in real life its a reailty check really :PIG:

Fair do's, any other game and I'd have taken it as my inability to see out the match but two FA Cup semi final defeats in consecutive seasons, in the 90th minute was gutting. And I get enough of that supporting Luton in real life! ;))

Finished my second season (first in the German top flight) with newly promoted F.C. Hansa Rostock:

Predication: 18th

Finish: 6th

Really chuffed, some real last minute, never say die wins and back against the walls defending.

Anyway into Season 3 with a £14,000,000 budget and the excitement of Europa League football!

That would qualify for the rare occasion of a reload a previous save situation... for me. Guilt free.

I was tempted, even the wife was telling me to do the same, but no I couldn't bring myself to do it, this time! ;)

I think reading your poste cursed me because my VP has just wiped himself out in pre season for 4 months with ligament damage!

Luckily I signed this chap on a free (http://sofifa.com/en/player/165560) who is now rated 78 with 82 finishing :)

Nice, I noticed the same free transfer players showing up for people so if you're in your third season maybe he'll show up for me next year ;)

Does anyone else find it much harder to beat the lower league sides on legendary than the top sides. I manage to beat Arsenal, Liverpool,etc 4-0. Yet struggle to even have a shot aganist Rotherham or Southampton. Its very annoying how the CPU seem to play like Barcelona despite being Southampton:CONFUSE:

Last edited:
On default sliders yes, on my sliders where passing, shooting and ball control individuality come into play more you should find lesser sides are significantly affected.

Is there any point to FIRING your scout? Does it free up wages or bring money in anyway? Because otherwise, since there's a big INITIAL COST to bringing in a scout but no supposed benefit to getting rid of one, I don't see what the point of firing one would be. Am I missing something?

Just when you have more money to upgrade scouts I guess, start on 3x1* then build up to you eventually have 3x5* scouts, I currently have 1x5* (German) and 2x3* scouts in only my 2nd season so I'm very happy about that, already got some decent players in the academy :)

Not sure I understand. When you have more money, you can upgrade and hire new better scouts of course, but so is there any point to getting RID of your existing crappier scout? I don't see one.

There's no point getting rid until you want to hire a new better one, unless you want to replace say a 1* of one country for a 1* of another country so that you can scout their own country to get the 1* bonus, if that makes sense? :)

You only have 3 spaces so you only replace the crappier one when you want to bring in a better scout?

I see. Yah that's assuming you already have 3 scouts which I don't. I only have 1 and sure I want to get a new better one when I can afford him as this Nigerian guy (My only scout) is only 2* in Experience and 3* in judgement. But even then I'll keep this guy around as my 2nd scout of course.

And what's that extra star about? I've already sent my guy to Nigeria to scout for "Physically Strong" players but is it a well known fact that if you send your scout to his own country, it's like he has an extra star? Cool, I didn't know that!

do all youth players have the generic black boots and tucked in shirts or is there a variation of the generic boots and shirts?

And what's that extra star about? I've already sent my guy to Nigeria to scout for "Physically Strong" players but is it a well known fact that if you send your scout to his own country, it's like he has an extra star? Cool, I didn't know that!

See now I'm disappointed, if there was anyone I thought would take the time to learn how all the scouting would work I figured it'd be you! ;) Lots of useful info here: http://www.fifascoutingtips.com/

do all youth players have the generic black boots and tucked in shirts or is there a variation of the generic boots and shirts?

I believe all will have tucked in shirts with generic boots but not just black ones.

So the game updates today, I assume purely for the EAFC features (no idea what's added), when I start the game all my completed achievements have gone back to being uncompleted (two immediately complete due to my EAFC level), when I load my career mode I notice that the colour of form has changed, most of them should be in the yellow but every player now shows as green for low form:

fifamorale.jpg

Anyone else seeing similar?

Last edited:
Strange. Haven't loaded the game up today myself to know but I hope they haven't fucked anything up with this update!

Thanks for the link placebo. I'll check it out.

Great link. Just read the two useful articles and most of the comments and learned some new things. Thanks.

Edited above, should of course have referred to form not morale :)

Great link. Just read the two useful articles and most of the comments and learned some new things. Thanks.

Yeah it's a really useful site, some great tips, I even asked a question on there ;)

I saw it. ;)

I just don't like how he CONTINUOUSLY recommends saving-reloading as solution to EVERYTHING and determining EXACT OVR by trick, etc. and a lot of things which I think are just flat out cheating. I mean if your scout finds no good player that month, then that's that. That's real life. You move on and hope he finds good ones next month. You don't quit and reload. But whatever, each to their own. I just ignore all that type of advice and listen to other stuff and there are some very useful things in there. Knew most of them already but did learn a couple new things.

He still could've gone even in MORE depth I feel and talk about things like looking at actual attributes and height and taking that into SERIOUS consideration when signing a player.

As an example, I have a LM who has 2 star skill move, who's not fast AND has a 29 for crossing! Now the kid is already 56 at 16 years of age and is gonna have a massive future as he has huge potential (85-91) I think. Simon Mendler is his name and he's just one of my German youth products seeing as I'm playing with an East German club.

Or sometimes you get a CB with high potential but the kid's a midget at 151cm! Ok, so he'll grow but how much? For me, he's never gonna be the CB I'm looking for so I'll skip signing him regardless of potential.

He does mention MOST things though and all very good points like taking into account OVR and not JUST potential which I think is what a lot of people do or mentioning how sadly the STAR SKILL won't increase but weak foot does slowly, etc. Great blog overall and thanks for sharing.

So the game updates today, I assume purely for the EAFC features (no idea what's added), when I start the game all my completed achievements have gone back to being uncompleted (two immediately complete due to my EAFC level), when I load my career mode I notice that the colour of form has changed, most of them should be in the yellow but every player now shows as green for low form:

fifamorale.jpg

Anyone else seeing similar?

Can anyone else confirm that post-update all form shows as green bars even if it should be low ie yellow/red? Want to make sure it's not just me before I report it, even though obviously EA won't bother fixing it :(

I must admit I haven't really delved into the scouting at all. I have a couple, and I have pretty much just signed loads of kids predicted to be in the 70-90 range, but beyond that I assumed it was fairly bare bones. I'd appreciate any suggestions as to how to improve it - the generic kits/boots would be a start, same goes for the blank faces, but if anyone has any cool yet fairly simple ideas I know Simon Humber would be interested to hear them.

Can anyone else confirm that post-update all form shows as green bars even if it should be low ie yellow/red? Want to make sure it's not just me before I report it, even though obviously EA won't bother fixing it :(

Hey Placebo, yes just downloaded the update, loaded up my CM, and form is green for all of my players. Lovely isnt it? Seems like EA patches break more things than they fix. Anyways like you said, wont be fixed by EA.

I knew I shouldnt have downloaded the patch lol

Back
Top Bottom