FIFA 09: Ultimate Team - DISCUSSION THREAD

ULTIMATE TEAM DISCUSSION THREAD!!!

Can you please keep your bitching about FIFA online to the main FIFA thread, ta

They pass out of defence because being fully-assisted there's no risk of me intercepting the ball and scoring, they pinball the ball around midfield like they're on speed, then a ball to the winger, a cutback and a goal. And again, and again, and again. (Except for the occasions where they have Speedy Gonzalez up-front in which case it's a ball over the top to him leaving your defenders treading water, again and again and again.) There's no real football involved!

What's the point in spending 10 mins looking for a 3-star team ... only to start and find Henry up front or some other Usain Bolt speedster who just gets the ball to his feet and he sprints off? It happens FAR too much and online is a chore.
You two need to learn how to defend. Anticipate passes and read your opponent. I intercept a good amount of my oppo's passes.

:LOL:

Hang on Tim, I'm sure I've seen you complain in the chatbox about the assisted monkeys ruining online games when you've been beaten by them? ;)

Playing online against people you know who play properly and actually try good movements and realistically is great. Playing online against idiots who assist-pass the ball to the striker and sprint to cut the ball back isn't great. And there's too many people online who play the second style.

Although, keeping it more on-topic, UT is far better to play online than the other modes. Although there are idiots who glitch/cheat, it's nowhere near as bad as spending hours trying to get a match in the other modes and constantly playing Utd/Barca.

I'm with Placebo (and Chris?), MM and offline UT are the choice for me. Once we can ensure we don't play against people with assisted controls and be drawn to play matches against teams of a similar level, then online will come into it a lot more with me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh yeah when I lose it get's my tail right up, but when playing against assisted I can intercept most of their passes as I said, because if you can read them well then you know where they are going to play the ball and as they're assisted, it always goes straight to the receivers feet, so you just nip in front of him and take the ball :)).

I do agree though when people just don't even think about their passes and just sit there constantly tapping the pass button, there's nothing worse.

Sure you all realise, but if you have someone about to run out of contract, if you put them in the reserves (not 'Subs') then you dont lose them - so you can hold onto them whilst deciding to keep them, or waiting for a contract card...

Got about 4 players in my reserves at the mo who the jury is out on...

Yeh I now, keep them their :LOL: Im really stretching myself to get a gold pack. Hopefully It turns out i get a decent deck otherwise I'll be fucked.

I got like 5 on their last game with 3-4 with 2-3 games left, got about 3500

Gotta say I agree with Tim on this one guys.

90% of the players are very much assisted whores who do the same attack each game, but if you learn how to defend it, you can do as you like. I find my self having 60% possesion or more most games and abosultly owning the opponents. Sure they might get through once or twice because I didnt defend it well enough, but most of the time its so easy to cut out and then pop the ball about how you want it.

Each is own I guess. I dont mind offline or online, I just love this mode :)

This mode has got me hooked! Very addictive and superb fun to play.

What I like most about Ultimate team are the mugshots for every player. So cool to see what your players look like in real life. Hope they implement this in Fifa10!

Ah crap - I've just seen I had 26 emails from EA today with random scores in. Can someone remind me how you turn this off? I thought it only did this if you play someone else online but I'm getting it for every UT game i play offline.

Annoying.

Though this game mode is just as addictive and great as it was the last time they had it. I'm not sure if it's worth the price they're charging as it seems they intentionally left it out of 09 knowing they had no champ league license this year (which is where this mode would have been) and figured instead of adding it to 09 and then we'd all expect it every year - they'd hold it back and charge us. But still £8 seems very high.

Sure you all realise, but if you have someone about to run out of contract, if you put them in the reserves (not 'Subs') then you dont lose them - so you can hold onto them whilst deciding to keep them, or waiting for a contract card...

Got about 4 players in my reserves at the mo who the jury is out on...

I've got D. Freedman who plays for Southend mate. You want him?

Like Shooto said we need to all get in a party and do the "3,2,1,now" method. That worked well yesterday. That way we can play against each other.

Me and Shooto found each other randomly without this method :LOL: Beat him 4-0 ;)

Not a certainty, but:

@EARom could i suggest a search trade option that displays only buy it nows?

@EARom Hi, any chance something can be done for the kit/badge searching system which currently is absolutely unusable? Thanks :)

@EARom can u make it so we ca. Change player numbers to please

@TMagic83 @Placebo_obecalP @gooderz09 We hear ya. Now the critical things are sorted, the team's gunning for it.
http://twitter.com/EARom

All taken from Twitter, which is where all the latest updates are being posted now for some strange reason :(

Oh and offline tournaments are still buggered, I played the semi of the Americas, won, locked up at the end screen before next match/back, had to log out and in again and start UT over, had received the counts for winning but when I went back to the tournament it started it off again from scratch instead of from the final :(

Cheers for the trade Placebo, all kitted out now!

After the initial buzz of UT, I started getting frustrated with it - but now I've been playing it a while, its turning back around. My team is settled now and that makes a massive difference - really feels like you are building something.

Then decisions to make on contracts, team talk/training/fitness cards, chemistry etc - all very good!

Plus I'm re-learning how to play FIFA after getting annoyed with it (like Dags said in the other thread). Learning to take my finger off of dash and pass it around, running off the ball, looking for passing lanes and chances - completely changes to the game.

You just have to remember how little players run with the ball in real life. Sure you get players like Ronaldo, who will get their heads down, but probably 90% of the play is played at walking/jogging pace and all the running is either off the ball, or only when players have space.

If in real life players ran when I do when controlling them, the game would probably be as disjointed as mine are with nobody being able to control it.

Its frustrating at times, but fair play to EA for capturing that - its not the game that is at fault, its the way some of us play it! It really is a simulation more than a pick-up-and-play arcade game (room for both PES fans!)

It's a shame that so many goals are scored on 1v1's, higher than even Fifa09 default, I guess partly because nothing can be done to pull the AI CB's back like I did in my MM.

I started again last night, had too many Gold/Silver players wanting to play a formation I didn't want to play, contracts all expiring and no coins to replace them.

So binned it off and started again, playing it with chemistry in mind from the start and I'm enjoying it a lot more after the first few games. I enjoyed the last team but it's even better when you get everyone working together :)

Plus I've now got an Asian kit that looks like Inter's home kit, much better than Morcambe's red home kit :COOL:

How can you improve players Morale? I know you can improve fitness by resting the player, but not sure about morale. Cheers.

I think you can get cards which improve it?

I got a card yesterday named Medium Crowd, gives me a +2 morale boost when playing at home :)

Ah right it's just cards then is it, cool. My stadium is now the Millenium Stadium :DANCE:.

Yep Chemistry is all Important have 1 or 2 stars who fit it and then your team plays great football. Problem is high chemistry means your stats go very high and no one will play you. :( I've now managed to get 100 when all my starters play together and my stats have now gone through the roof and the only superstar I have is Ronaldinho and he's nowhere near the best player in game.

How can you improve players Morale? I know you can improve fitness by resting the player, but not sure about morale. Cheers.

If it's the same as UCL they really, really hate being played out of position as well, not sure if it's related just to the team lineup screen or if they "notice" you swapping them around during a match.

I got a card yesterday named Medium Crowd, gives me a +2 morale boost when playing at home :)

Yeah I got two of them today in the same pack, never seen them before in about 30 bronze pack and suddenly two appear, very weird, wonder if EA are sneaking in new cards? ;)

Yea, I brought a bronze pack this morning as I needed some contract cards (always get 3-4 per pack!) and got loads of other cards like Team Talk, Fitness, Training etc.

Really good as they boost your players up - I never noticed morale and fitness before on the team selection screen (right stick, right to cycle), so I now thats another interesting thing to work on.

As an aside... how do you guys feel about 'The Collection'? I'm starting to get interested in filling it - like the old sticker book days! Just to get the coin boost really, but it also makes getting any old card interesting.

For the ones I know wont sell, then I stick em straight in the book. Does anyone else collect the cards?

I slap in any shite bronze players who're down to 1 match on their contract but I'm not deliberately buying players for the collection yet, will wait a few weeks until there are more bargains + better search options (hopefully) such as buy now only etc. etc.

I believe you get
coins for completing each page BTW.

Back
Top Bottom