FIFA 09: Ultimate Team - DISCUSSION THREAD

I was under the impression that benched players lose a game off their contract as well (regardless of them coming on or not).

I dont think they do, I always bench 1 player contracts or Reserve them, because as long as they arent in the starting 11 or dont come on, it doesnt use a contract

That makes things loads easier then :)

Gotta say UT mode is awesome, far better than MM :)

Weird... sure you still get the warning pop up though? Guess thats just to warn you in case you do bring them on...

I'd still rather leave them in the reserves though in case you bring them on and lose them.

Last night, I had about 5 first teamers out of contract at once! Had to play without them for 3 games. Love the way it keeps you on your toes.

I luckily got a silver card in a bronze pack that was a contract card - was something like +15 for bronze, +11 for silver and +5 for Gold. Stuck it on my new striker who already had 4 games remaining... he is mustard! Wanted to show him some commitment :LOL:

Mental. Good mental like. I bought my first gold pack last night and amazingly got Harry Redknapp, Michael Owen and Leighton Baines in it :SHOCK: Owen and Baines both have 4-4-2 as their formation (which fits perfectly with my formation and obviously their nationality). I put a few other silver and gold players in the collection to get some more coins, got my funds to about 2,000 and had a sneaky search for a GK and a CB. Found Paul Robinson and Steven Taylor both for about 1,000 each. Amazingly, both 4-4-2 too :D My team chemstry is now 96. Quality :)

Mental. Good mental like. I bought my first gold pack last night and amazingly got Harry Redknapp, Michael Owen and Leighton Baines in it :SHOCK: Owen and Baines both have 4-4-2 as their formation (which fits perfectly with my formation and obviously their nationality). I put a few other silver and gold players in the collection to get some more coins, got my funds to about 2,000 and had a sneaky search for a GK and a CB. Found Paul Robinson and Steven Taylor both for about 1,000 each. Amazingly, both 4-4-2 too :D My team chemstry is now 96. Quality :)

Cool another 5* slag team to avoid :)

i'm getting more tempted to buy this, i played a trail game earlier online, i only half one half star team, it was hard but realistic as i could defend well, he scored like 87th-88th minute to make it 2-1, 90th min, 2-2 then before i know it, he scored again in normal time, it was killer blow but its better having a worse team as makes it harder and more tactical to play

LOL I just signed 7 Gold CBs one after another, for between 200 and 350, they all expired within 30 seconds or so of each other in the auction :)

How did you manage to find the auctions ending soon?

Perseverance ;)

I don't worry about my manager/coaches having expiring contracts now, I keep them in my trade pile, then when I have contracts/training to apply I bring them back via trading with my Wife's gamertag, do what they need to do then put them back on the trade pile, infinite 1 match contract ;)

That's blatant cheating mate. You go on about assisted twats online but imo that's no worse. Disgusting :SHAKE:.

Just won my first ever online cup. :D

After listening to Stu talking about how important chemistry was, I ditched a load of players (including silver and gold players) and only brought in guys who play the same formation, have the same nationality, sometimes I've managed to get guys who play for the same club as well.

I got the chemistry up to around 50 for the first two games, won 2-0 and 2-1. For the semi-final I brought in Gareth Barry and suddenly we were a different team.

I was winning the semi-final 4-0, then the other guy quit (definitely wasn't me, I stayed connected to the EA servers, and definitely wasn't a server outage because I asked around). Somehow, he got away with it.

What pisses me off about this is, how come if that happens, you get no coins and your players all have one game less on their contracts? How is that fair? You can't even afford a new pack to try and get a contract and keep somebody. That's shite, in my opinion. But at least the game let me carry on from the semi-final, which I didn't think it would.

So crapping myself that I wouldn't be able to do it again, I beat the next guy 3-1, and in the final I scored a header in the first 10 minutes and managed to hold on to the final whistle. Absolutely made up.

Or at least I was until the beaten finalist, x I3CFC M3DJ x, sent me this message: "u r a sad 24 yr old fuk wiv no life u r a geek fifa is aggekgame"

Quick question just to confirm. From the way you guys sound about it, I'm actually interested now, although mainly as an offline game with online trading, not playing.

But do the player the stats change? I want to play a collectible card game with frozen stats, not being able to take your stats to 99, and ending up playing or owning teams with all 99 players. It's almost a game killer. If so and so is 74, then he should be 74 until the next update for better or worse; I'm not playing Addidas Live Season with fluctuating stats, I want the database stats that reflect the real life players built up over the start of the season and halfway through.

Last edited:
The changes are offset though, for example training cards can add 3 to pace but then it will take away 1 from shooting.

Offset sounds good. But Tim7, although I can train players in real life to reach their potential, not every player can top the ratings if that's the correct term for it, if you know what I mean. Some players have an overall ability. e.g. I know that in the right team Crouch can become a decent striker, but he's hardly going to be playing for Barcelona even when at his best etc.

And Chris Bauer, how is the online play? I agreed with one of your earlier posts about it being garbage due to the all assisted zombies, but is UT an improvement or just more of the same? The reason I'd be reluctant to take it online is, even if the teams were more varied, I'd still end up playing all assisted ping pong. As an all manual player it's not impossible, but not much fun either.

Last edited:
That's blatant cheating mate. You go on about assisted twats online but imo that's no worse. Disgusting :SHAKE:.

Not remotely the same, I don't play online, not competing against anyone :) It's called ingenuity, some people have brains and figure things out, some don't and spend real money on gold packs ;)

Last edited:
Anyone else had a problem with coins not registering? I've had the same amount of coins for about 3 or 4 games now, and i've been earning about 600 coins each game. It's annoying, because im only a couple of hundred away from a gold pack.

Offline matches were supposed to have stopped being ranked matches now weren't they? Still getting Email reports saying my offline matches are ranked........

Not remotely the same, I don't play online, not competing against anyone :) It's called ingenuity, some people have brains and figure things out, some don't and spend real money on gold packs ;)
In that case you are only cheating yourself, still not right though in my books.

What manager have you got by the way? Did you find a +3 Negotiations?

I have started to properly sort my team out last night, I've decided I'm going to play a 4-4-2 diamond with Spanish players. I signed Gold manager Sanchez Flores who is the right formation and is a +3 negotiator. Then I signed Guti at CAM for 1,350. Next I spent a while in the trading screens and it paid off, finding 2 auctions that ended with 20 seconds of each other, and got Morientes for 850 and Soldado for 550! Then I also singed Javi Navvaro CB, can't remember how much he was.

After doing all that the servers went down so didn't get a chance to play a match! So am up now to play a couple before work :)).

Just signed Sergio, CDM and likes the 4-4-2 diamond formation on a 4 game contract for 600 :)).

Oh and I've worked out how to select which football you play with when you unlock them, just go to offline game and go through it to the screen before you press start game and you then select the ball there and just keep pressing B till it comes all the way out, from now on any home match online that will be your football :)).

Last edited:
In that case you are only cheating yourself, still not right though in my books.

LOL don't be silly, when it's singleplayer it's about playing the way that suits yourself, or is playing on professional rather than legendary cheating because you're playing on an easier level? Is playing on assisted controls singleplayer cheating as well? :APPLAUD:

I'd like to "follow the rules" and have my pretend Sheffield Wednesday team, only have the real manager, real players, but considering that Mr. Laws isn't in UT, and only 10 Sheffield Wednesday players are in UT I can't play this mode with realism, thus it for me is a fun mode which I'm happy to play purely for fun, hence I do a bit of dodgy wheeling and dealing to get more life out of it, MM is (for me) where the serious part of Fifa is.

Anyways you seem to be confused with my apparent "slipped halo of fairplay and good decency" the only times I kick up a fuss about unfair play, unfair advantages is in multiplayer games, I have no qualms at all if people want to glitch, cheat, abuse their way through singleplayer games, I'll let you in on a secret, there have been times in MM my 360 accidentally turned itself off when I was losing badly, shhhh don't tell anyone ;)

What manager have you got by the way? Did you find a +3 Negotiations?

Also E. Sanchez Flores, cost me 350.

Can't you sort by stuff in the trading screens?

I want to sort by time ending, Buy it now prices or what ratings players are instead of scrolling though the shitty slow menus which appear to have no sorting to them at all

Back
Top Bottom