FIFA 09: Ultimate Team - DISCUSSION THREAD

Tim7

Retired Footballer
6 May 2003
Gravesend
Charlton Athletic FC
I got a decent squad now and they've all got decent contract lengths so hopefully I should be able to put some kind of a run together and save lots of coins!

Anyone won an online cup yet?

Last edited:
Got to the semi-final twice, the final once.

I've started playing the offline cups now on WORLD CLASS, to try and get used to playing online (it feels like playing online then IMO, very similar; you get very little time on the ball and all your passes seem to go to the opposition). Beat the first team in the first offline cup 11-10 on penalties, was really worried I was going out, but then I beat the second team 2-0 in normal time so I'm getting better. ;)

A simple no would have sufficed ;)). You might come across some nobheads online now and then, but it's still far better than playing against the CPU imo. Nothing comes close to playing against a human opponent, the way humans think is different every match, while the AI changes now and then it doesn't have the variety humans have, also playing offline is always against a real team, online it's your team against another ultimate team. Much better :)).

Given up playing online, full of kids with speed-merchant strikers and no football actually being played.

Disagree Dags I've played some brilliantly close matches online. Like I said, just spend the extra 5/10mins looking for an evenly matched game and you can get amazing games.

I disagree Tim (agree with Placebo/Dags). Seriously, out of 24 games online, 22 have been exactly the same game. Like watching a video of the same football match 22 times. This is whether it's 1-star v 1-star or 4-star v 5-star or any combination you like.

They pass out of defence because being fully-assisted there's no risk of me intercepting the ball and scoring, they pinball the ball around midfield like they're on speed, then a ball to the winger, a cutback and a goal. And again, and again, and again. (Except for the occasions where they have Speedy Gonzalez up-front in which case it's a ball over the top to him leaving your defenders treading water, again and again and again.) There's no real football involved!

You can set your tactics to pressing to try and cut it out, but your players never get close enough; you tell them to back off to try and contain them for a minute, but they still seem to run up the pitch after players leaving you wide open. It's utter garbage - not because of EA, because of the amount of kids who play it and know how to exploit the game now.

Like you said the other day, FIFA 10 needs to match you up with people who use the same control method as you, or at least let you see what they're using before the game starts so you have the opportunity to find someone else. Offline play FTW.

Last edited:
What's the point in spending 10 mins looking for a 3-star team ... only to start and find Henry up front or some other Usain Bolt speedster who just gets the ball to his feet and he sprints off? It happens FAR too much and online is a chore.

Offline AI is great as it is I think. Online is shite unless you know who you're playing against.

Just played the first round in an Online Cup, my 1 star team against a 3 star team and I hammered him.

I can see where the guys who don't like playing online are coming from as I got totally bummed by some twat online last night 9-0 who had Eto'o up front and it was like my defenders were running backwards trying to catch him. They did catch him a couple of times though not in a legal way with both of them getting :R1

I can see where the guys who don't like playing online are coming from as I got totally bummed by some twat online last night 9-0 who had Eto'o up front and it was like my defenders were running backwards trying to catch him.
That's the thing, I've got Alex and Jagielka as CBs and I've found out you're better off playing crappy bronze defenders with pace of at least 85-90. Otherwise your "world class defenders" watch the strikers blaze past them like they're not there.

It reminds me of playing Euro 2008 online all over again, there are some ridiculous scorelines.

Hmmm seems fine to me, I won Bronze tournament yesterday where I had some extremely close games. I think my squad is gonna get ripped up soon :(( to many of them on their last games.

Re: FIFA09 Ultimate Team Discussion

Online is gash.

Taken from the FSB forums:

G7SEV said:
Just encounterd an INFURIATING tactic online in Ultimate Team. It was on PSN and the person was Macca360 (in naming and shaming!). He went 2:1 up in the 50th minute and when he done that he got possession and passed it around his 18yard box not attacking me. Basically making sure he beat me. Its impossible to win the ball back!! Only one/two players can attempt to win the ball but he has 5 players to pass it to so its impossible. Im so pissed at these cheating the game and opponent tactics. Then he sends me a message afterwards bragging!!

but that isn't impossible to win the ball back , yes it is friggin annoying and is very lame, but you can push right up and press, try and force him to misplace a pass..

blocking space via player switching instead of soley closing down the ball

A few more manual players on lastnight had some cracking games.I find the keepers to be a bit like euro2008 as they don't catch the ball alot,or maybe my keeper is just shit.:CONFUSE:

Also just because one person agrees with you don't mean your right ;)

Online is easliy the best way to play games because the AI just don't cut it in any way shape or form compared to us Humans :)

Back on topic, i was gonna get this but it seems like you lot have decent teams already so the longevity seems very very short for this mode

It's not like playing a human in this though, it's like playing piss-poor AI that doesn't know how to play real football, and doesn't know any other way to play than pinball-styleé. It's the same game every game. At least in other games you get variation when you play against real people. The game just helps them exploit the system too much.

Each to their own anyway, I am still playing it online, just still waiting to meet someone who doesn't have auto-passing on...

Last edited:
Im with Tim and CW on this one I think.

With all FIFA modes, I prefer playing online games, to me there is something missing when you play vs the AI. I am sure it is great, but I feel better about beating an online opponent. Especially when they are using crappy tactics.

You could always join our party and use the "3..2..1..Now!" method of trying to play each other :)

So sounds like some like online, some like offline. At least EA give us the option to choose the one you like.

So sounds like some like online, some like offline. At least EA give us the option to choose the one you like.
Yeah but if they gave us the option of seeing what control method the other guy is using then some of us would like both online and offline...

That's the most frustrating thing, it's so close to being practically perfect. All it needs is a system that means you can stay as a 1-star team for a while and only be put up against similar teams (no 5-stars until you're at least 4-stars), and an indicator that tells you if your opponent is using manual/semi/assisted passing/shooting/etc...

Surely it's not hard to implement a piece of text that reads the controller settings the other person is using so that you can block out as many of the fully-assisted kids as possible?

Then you'd never see me playing offline again!

Yeah but if they gave us the option of seeing what control method the other guy is using then some of us would like both online and offline...

That's the most frustrating thing, it's so close to being practically perfect. All it needs is a system that means you can stay as a 1-star team for a while and only be put up against similar teams (no 5-stars until you're at least 4-stars), and an indicator that tells you if your opponent is using manual/semi/assisted passing/shooting/etc...

Surely it's not hard to implement a piece of text that reads the controller settings the other person is using so that you can block out as many of the fully-assisted kids as possible?

Then you'd never see me playing offline again!

Make you right Chris. A system like Forza 2, where you can only enter a race if you are a certain rank.

You should only be able to play people your stars or above, till your players push you up to a 2 star team, then 3 star etc.

And you should be able to search by control scheme - thing is, I prefer playing 'friends' to randoms anyway, so least that way you know what you are getting.

Whatever you post wouldn't change my mind about how good online play is

If we were in the 90's you may have a case but in this day and age online is the way to play games

Completely disagree, Coopz. Online is certainly not the way to play games yet. It will be when we get given all of the tools to enable fair online play, and that can be done today if EA wanted to. But until then, offline is the way to play.

If you enjoy playing online against all assisted 5* teams, kick off shooters, glitch abusers then I'm very happy for you.....

Me I'll stick to my manager mode thank you very much :)

Yeah obviously they piss me off but most of the time you get normal players who play fair on most games

I would love to be able to go down the mic and slap the little cheating twats though, i cant see why they enjoy playing that way either

Completely disagree, Coopz. Online is certainly not the way to play games yet. It will be when we get given all of the tools to enable fair online play, and that can be done today if EA wanted to. But until then, offline is the way to play.

So you think offline with its standard AI on your todd is better than online with mates and the human brain setting all the variables?

Back
Top Bottom