FIFA 09 PS3/360 Discussion Thread

So I am playing as Aston Villa and currently in two Eufa Cup campaigns in the same season...

2 games per day on those matchdays...

Nice one EA.

I had a torrid time on FIFA last night.

I searched for an all manual game...nothing.

I set up my own all manual game...no takers.

I went into the lobbies and invited people to an all manual game...all declined.

I went into a quick match, setting my team as Northampton Town (1.5 stars), who did my opponent try to be? Manyoo. The next guy? Bayern? The final one? Barcelona.

FFS...30 minutes wasted and not one ball kicked. :RANT:

Go to the lobbies, people normally say "Invite me to a match", so do just that but set the control limitations to manual - they have no way of finding out until they are in the game :SMUG:.

Go to the lobbies, people normally say "Invite me to a match", so do just that but set the control limitations to manual - they have no way of finding out until they are in the game :SMUG:.

Lol, that's sneaky as fuck but I should do it. I've had the same problem with never being able to find a manual match so what the hell. Maybe I'll give it a shot.

Fell out of love with 09 last night, game went into super of all super modes of though shalt not score or win.

We hit the woodwork 8 times in one game, the AI scored 3 goals, four games in a row; our defence had not conceded more than one in all but two games in over three quarters of the season.

And I would not mind if they were great worked goals they were nearly all pumped balls forward and amazingly their player who looked for all the world to be 10yards offside wasn't and there were no superman keeper antics in our nets as there was going on at the other end.

To rub it in just a bit more in the fourth game all the goals were over head kicks from corners where we had players in front of the guy who would either not jump or just jump and miss a simple header.

We were wondering what would come next.

I know there are guys on here who swear blind things like this don't go on, that scripting does not exist, but boy if you could have seen this it was just down right funny, joypad snappishly funny...

Wow, that kind of stuff hasn't ever happened to me. You can fix the long balls thing by moving your back line.

The posts I have seen though - have hit them literally dozens of time in the space of a few matches.

Wow, that kind of stuff hasn't ever happened to me. You can fix the long balls thing by moving your back line.

The posts I have seen though - have hit them literally dozens of time in the space of a few matches.

Oh we have customised formations, our back line on defensive line ups is as far back as it will go, it does not stop the perfect long ball into the corner... :P

How about this one EVERY game.

It's the final 5 minutes of a game and the AI takes over super dribble, can't tackle the AI player mode. They just run around inside the box out to the corner, back inside the box - can't slide tackle, can't push them off the ball, nothing.

Once this starts up I literally just put the controller down because there is nothing you can do as time runs off the clock. This game is quite flawed in a lot of ways really.

Also, can anyone independently confirm that WEATHER is GONE from this game? I think they took it out in a patch...

How about this one EVERY game.

It's the final 5 minutes of a game and the AI takes over super dribble, can't tackle the AI player mode. They just run around inside the box out to the corner, back inside the box - can't slide tackle, can't push them off the ball, nothing.

Once this starts up I literally just put the controller down because there is nothing you can do as time runs off the clock. This game is quite flawed in a lot of ways really.

Oh god yes! They are 1-0 up and you absolutely cannot get the ball...infuriating.

Played this last night for the first time in months (wanted to try out my new 46" TV :) ) and really enjoyed it. Its got me pumped for FIFA10.

Its amazing how much the game changes when you play with good teams. I usually play with lower league teams and its an excercise in frustration, but first game last night I played v CPU as Liverpool against Man City and it was a great game. I won 2-0 but it was close.

Then went online and played a load of games and even though I didnt win any, they were all good fun and not a lot of frustrating moments. Last guy I played picked Accrington which was cool as it makes a change. I chose Darlington and lost 2-0 but was a good game. Least said about my final game against him where he was Morecombe and I was my beloved Southend, the better...

EDIT: I think this is one thing they need to look at for the new FIFAs though - dont handicap lower league teams in speed only. There are lower league players that can sprint as fast/faster than Prem league players, so that is not the way to show the difference.

Its needs to be more subtle. Less passing skill, less tactical knowledge (positioning, movement etc) and lower overall shooting accuracy for most players.

Just limiting speed makes it feel like playing in treacle and really frustrating. Not a true reflection of football at that level, just a leveller for the 'game'. Sort it out EA!

Last edited:
EDIT: I think this is one thing they need to look at for the new FIFAs though - dont handicap lower league teams in speed only. There are lower league players that can sprint as fast/faster than Prem league players, so that is not the way to show the difference.

This hasn't been enforced in Fifa for some time, it's down to the data editors to set the player's speed now and there's no "rule" that you cannot set a player at 99/99 for speed/accel just because he's in league2 or whatever :)

This hasn't been enforced in Fifa for some time, it's down to the data editors to set the player's speed now and there's no "rule" that you cannot set a player at 99/99 for speed/accel just because he's in league2 or whatever :)

Hmmm not sure I agree as it all feels so sluggish. Running, turning, first time passing etc.

League1/2 games turn into a midfield scrap as its so hard to move the players and ball around.

Appreciate they cannot set them to the levels of higher league players, but I think the difference is too great.

Hmmm not sure I agree as it all feels so sluggish. Running, turning, first time passing etc.

League1/2 games turn into a midfield scrap as its so hard to move the players and ball around.

Well not all League 1/2 players will be as fast/agile as Premiership players so it would feel a bit more like that, but you should still find fast/agile players down there if that's how they are in real life, if not it's down to the editor for that team rather than the engine.

Well not all League 1/2 players will be as fast/agile as Premiership players so it would feel a bit more like that, but you should still find fast/agile players down there if that's how they are in real life, if not it's down to the editor for that team rather than the engine.

I hope they have sorted things like this but I really doubt they have altered much at all...

Well can we get some data editors that actually know how fast some of these players are?

ie: The US team is all basically 60's in total stats. Charlie Davies, who ran circles around Spain last night, is a FAST player. I bet he's got like a 60 speed rating in the game. In fact, the entire US team is ranked so low you can't even play with them in the game. When you match up against Mexico they run ragged over the US and it's just not an accurate representation of the current goings on.

Whoever suggested using through ball for short passes on manual is a genius!!

I was finding semi a bit too easy, but manual very hard, but I just switched my :x: and :triangle: buttons around, and had a fairly decent game on full manual.

Had a bit of a scare when my goalie dropped the ball instead of throwing it out, but other than that it was good.

Scored a good goal too, one that looked different than anything before; the 'through ball' went on the wrong side of the runner and defender, he changed direction and hit it on the half turn..very satisfying. :APPLAUD:

damn..after about 3 months i went ahead and set up a quick unranked game out of boredom...i picked Fenerbahce, the guy got Inter(what a surprize) ...alright 2 mim into the game and he flicks the ball to his left winger, MESSI??!?!?! WTF?? than i noticed he had Kaka, C.Ronaldo too...now wtf is hapening?? i thought this was only possible for unranked macthes...
now i also heard that there are people using their ultimate team on ranked macthes? i mean, using guys rated 99 and such?

thats its for me... from now on ill only play peolpe i have on my friends list...

So I finally went almost full manual last night in a new MM. I have shooting and passing on Semi but everything else manual. I also lowered the difficulty down to professional and seriously had a blast.

After figuring out how NOT to blast crosses into the stands, I scored 3 headers. I don't think I've scored 3 headers since I've had this game. The only problem I seem to have is that on professional it's way to easy to win the ball back from the other team. But I have a feeling if I increase the difficulty it will be a nightmare.

The passing was insane as my team were doing backheels, flicks, etc but I still don't know how I feel about the through balls. They are quite slow actually and always seem to pull me off to the side of the field.

All in all, new life in this game for me.

Why is it so hard to dribble past or even run past an opposing defender?

Even when I have someone as strong as Maicon running on the ball past someone as small and weak as Donovan, he still manages to get a tackle in and take the ball while at the same time knock Maicon onto the floor so that he can't regain his balance and take the ball back off him. :ROLL:

Back
Top Bottom