FIFA 09 PS3/360 Discussion Thread

Re: FIFA 09 - Discussion Thread

I'm sure it's when using the D-Pad, which is much more precise on the PS3 than 360. Street Fighter sucks on 360, enough said. :)

the 360 D-Pad is utter shite

i cant even type with it without it going in directions i aint pressed

Its not just the d-pad which is more precise on the PS3 its also the analog sticks. The PS3 uses 10 bit resolution analog sticks while the 360 and Wii only use 8 bit resolution ones. This affects both the X and Y axis and gives a wider range of movement and precision on the Sixaxis and Dualshock 3. The only bad thing about the PS3 controller is the position of the analog sticks and their grip otherwise its really good. :)

Of course since neither FIFA 09 nor PES 2009 use 360 degree motion control the effects wont be huge. All it really means is that its just slightly more precise and responsive compared to the Xbox 360 controller.

I hate the ps3's analogue pad, 360 pad is far far better imo - (although agreed the d pad is shite, but , saying that dpad is soooo last gen.)

After an hour on CL2008, on the ps3 my hands feel like a 60 year old artheritis patient after a 4 hour wank-a-thon

As long as there are beat'em ups, D-Pad will never be "last gen"...

Beat 'em Ups are last gen aswell... Atleast I've not played one yet that wouldn't have been out of place in an arcade. Always fast pace, superhuman moves etc. I'm still waiting for a beat 'em up that strives for realism, would be sweet. Less button bashing and more control and focus on blocking and countering. :D

I regret the day i played fight night on the 360, that controller fucked me up

I actually bought a madcatz 360 controller just for the d-pad. Their dpad is pretty close to the ps3's.

If I remember right they talked about this in the FSB podcast. I believe they said that graphically there was very little difference between the two, but the 360 version looked a little sharper still. But the PS3 version was the most improved compared to last year.

Suff said game play was the same on both but he favoured the PS3 version due to his preference of the dual shock controller.

Tnx for the anwser. Sound good then, was still wondering what version to get (will wait till have played both demo's) but the fact I can go back to d-pad (woohoo.....I know, step back), have free online play and some special mode whatever that will be makes me think I might get this for the ps3 this year. If there is little difference in graphics and less of the jaggies from the previous versions it could be good.

trance_A said:
Why was that?

I would say with the improved responsiveness and the extra speed/sharpness of d-pad control the d-pad could be better for some. Same way pes is better on teh d-pad. Will be interesting to test them both out though, Im finally comfortable with analog after forcing me and now I can choose both.

I would say with the improved responsiveness and the extra speed/sharpness of d-pad control the d-pad could be better for some. Same way pes is better on teh d-pad. Will be interesting to test them both out though, Im finally comfortable with analog after forcing me and now I can choose both.

I use the analog stick so that dev obviously wasn't talking to me then... ;)

Just played PS3 code on the EA booth at Multiplay i34.

I chatted to one of the booth staff and apparently the code they are showing is about 90% there. Kits and squads were still out of date; I played a match as Arsenal vs Portsmouth and still had the old white away kit, plus Gilberto Silva and Hleb in the team, but then this is to be expected in an early build.

The important thing here is the gameplay, and I have to say it was an impressive kick about. Speed-wise I felt it was about half way between Euro 2008 and FIFA 08, which in my book is just about right. Player movement is indeed more responsive, with even sluggish players like Senderos able to switch direction sharply, although notably less quickly than a nimble Rosicky. On the flipside, my tricky Rosicky was no match for a robust Sol Campbell in one-on-ones, who sent him flying on a number of occasions. I enjoyed the physical nature of the game and liked the fact it seems near impossible to just steamroll 'through' players when dribbling.

Passing has the power bar attached ala Euro 2008, although it is still possible to fire off a quick short pass by tapping 'X'. Overall I felt the passing game was much more responsive and I was able to stroke the ball around just inside the opposition's half with relish.

Maybe this is just me, but I felt the ball looked slightly too big. Perhaps it was just the white standing out against the darker green pitch, but it did have something of the beach ball about it. A minor though, as the physics appear to be (on first glance at least) the best in a FIFA game so far. It's hard to quantify exactly why, it just seems to bounce right and deflect of player's legs properly.

One of my major bugbears in FIFA has always been the ape-like player models and 'melted plastic' faces. I'm happy to say this has been addressed to some degree, with star players like Adebayor in particular looking very close to the real McCoy. Whether this is true of the generic faces of the lesser know players remains to be seen, but overall I feel the game is definitely a looker, with the overall lighting in the game taking a more realistic look. No more ultra-dynamic contrast between light and dark areas.

Naturally I couldn't take too much away from my brief play time, but initial impressions are that it's been tightened up in some key areas, with less reliance on fancy animations and improved response times. Really looking forward to this now, although I'll wait to see how the other modes turn out.

Last edited:

Tnx Joystick, great to get some previews from forum members. Speed sounds good aswell, played euro against a mate the other day and started a new MM yesterday and inbetween would feel about right comparing the two back to back.

Tik, what's your PSN ID?

Uhhhh, good question. Im not sure actually, might be tik4 or tik^4. Im sure i didnt bother with the tiktiktiktik one. Will check later and add it to my details.

No worries boys, I'm working here but I'll try to get away and play again if I get the chance. Post up specific questions if you want and I'll do my best to investigate ;))

cowden: David James seemed pretty good in the game I played. The match ended 1-1 after I finally slotted an Adebayor header past him at the far post. Being the first time I'd played, I didn't create too much infront of goal to really test him, although I will say I didn't notice any cockups from either keeper.

To be honest, keepers are the kind of thing you can only really judge through extended play, but in my game they seemed pretty solid, coming out to collect crosses and coming quickly off their lines to collect loose passes etc. The goal I conceded Almunia couldn't do much about (such was the paucity of defenders I'd left to deal with Kanu :p).

Nets? Well I did notice that after their goal (a volley from close range) the ball bounced back out realistically. A nice touch I thought. I hate it when the ball just nessles in the corner, looks silly to me.

Thanks for info Joystick sounds sweet. :))

Hopefully there can be a few videos done by someone :DD

How did you find the response to headers? 08 heading was pretty static most of the time (players standing where the ball would go in advance and then jumping straight up to header the ball). Do they have more movement in air? Does it feel natural?

Is it still only one-on-one headers or can two players from the same team try to head the ball? I guess it's like in 08/euro... real shit they can learn from PES in this area.

Is it still only one-on-one headers or can two players from the same team try to head the ball? I guess it's like in 08/euro... real shit they can learn from PES in this area.

They might've addressed this area. Has anyone spotted a good heading duel on the videos so far?

I can only remember seeing one-on-one in the middle of the field. There must have been some corner kicks in the videos that's floating around, but I can't really remember.

Edit: Looking at the 2vs2 video it looks to be only one-on-one possible exactly like in 08/euro. They need to fix this in 2010 because crosses and corner kicks are so unrealistic. It's not only in headers, but trying to clear the ball in the box more than one player should be able to try to clear it. It is so scripted now with only one from each team, it needs to be more dynamic.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom