FIFA 09 Discussion Thread (Old)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: FIFA 09

I know everyone has their own opinions, but I cannot believe someone would put the two in the same category of annoyance :anx:.

I don't have an issue with the online responsiveness, everyone brings it up but I can hardly notice it when I am concentrating on playing. If you look for glitches and bugs you will find them, simple as that, same for every game...
I play in a way so that it doesn't make much difference anyway - I pass it when a player is coming towards me rather than trying to use tricks a lot (tricks are effective sometimes though).

The only things I don't like about FIFA online are the shots (easy near post goals and impossible volleys), keepers (crap at near post but almost impossible to beat at far post and the odd stupid mistake and they are bad on some crosses and they don't come out very fast when you hold Y), assisted whores, one man team players (give it tothe fastest player and just do the knock-ahead run) and people using the same 5 star teams over and over.

Last edited by a moderator:

I know everyone has their own opinions, but I cannot believe someone would put the two in the same category of annoyance :anx:.

Pressing shot and players freezing like morons when you have a goal oportunity or taking goals when trying to clear a ball from the defence in the last minute of a game is definitely in the same category of annoyance to me.

I find it remarkable how many people first said that EURO2008 was the almost perfect game and now they went back to FIFA 08 and find that a better game. How come?

I find it remarkable how many people first said that EURO2008 was the almost perfect game and now they went back to FIFA 08 and find that a better game. How come?
Club teams, manager mode, 5v5 online, slower game speed, better manual passing, keepers in Euro being stupid etc.

I can understand that some are going back to fifa because of club teams, it´s the only thing that could take me back too. As for gameplay issues, Fifa 08 and Euro 2008 are pretty even in the annoyance department as far as i´m concerned.

I can understand that some are going back to fifa because of club teams, it´s the only thing that could take me back too. As for gameplay issues, Fifa 08 and Euro 2008 are pretty even in the annoyance department as far as i´m concerned.
You've said this 4 times in your last 4 posts in this thread, we get the point ;)).

Club teams, manager mode, 5v5 online, slower game speed, better manual passing, keepers in Euro being stupid etc.
I can see that, but why said people in the first place that Euro2008 is better ...

Offline is ok, the problem is, when you play online the lack of responsiveness is so annoying as gk parries in euro 2008.

Well for me I don't care too much about online, to me it's just nice fluff to have for the very few occasions I'm tired of manager mode :)

I can see that, but why said people in the first place that Euro2008 is better ...
First impressions.
I thought PES 2008 was decent the first time I played it but now it seems like the worst football game since Sven Goran Eriksson's World Challenge (did anyone else play that?). It happens with a lot of games, when your first play it you think "this is awesome" but then you see annoying things or it gets repetitive and then you think it's boring.

Whenever you get a new game theres a novelty time where you see all the new things and think its great, from what i can tell Euro is a good game but they purposefully made it unbalanced in favor of attack and with the dodgy keepers it made it worse.

That said, the step back from FIFA 08 to Euro 2008 is nowhere near as big as the step back from PES6 to PES08...

They made a step forward in some aspects (atmosphere, responses, graphics slightly, weather effects) but steps back in others (keepers, game speed). I think it was just rushed out for a quick buck though, they won't spend a year or so on a game which is based on a tournament which lasts 1 month when they are releasing a game which is based on a season which lasts 8 months a few months later as well.

None of the tournament exclusive games have been that good since FIFA 98 Road to World Cup ;).

Uefa Champions League 2006-2007 was a step foward from Fifa 07.

im fifa 08 over euro 2008 however i feel the game speed needs to be increased from fifa 08 as well as the responsiveness. fifa 09 has been touted as having quicker gameplay so this excites me....i still argue the old gen pro games flow easier than fifa 08 and are therefore a more enjoyable gameplay experience. however, increased respons. and speed as well as sharper shots - coupled with the innovations from fifa 08 (depth of gameplay, tactical play, difficulty, modes) and then we have the holy grail. throw in 09 wishlist, graphics update, edit mode, atmosphere, monor details and we may have GOTY.

I have no problems with Fifa's responsiveness either, rather this than go the arcade route......

I don't see how being responsive equals being arcade. Also, sluggish does not equal sim. I think FIFA can certainly be much more responsive without sacrificing the sim aspect it has.

When I say "rather this than go the arcade route" I mean that if I was obsessed with ultra-responsivness I could play PES or Euro 2008, but IMO both offer arcade gameplay when compared to the gameplay of Fifa08, not to mention that the AI in Euro single player is an abomination.

First impressions.
I thought PES 2008 was decent the first time I played it but now it seems like the worst football game since Sven Goran Eriksson's World Challenge (did anyone else play that?). It happens with a lot of games, when your first play it you think "this is awesome" but then you see annoying things or it gets repetitive and then you think it's boring.

Exactly what happens every year for me with fifa. Only this time it happened less. Hope next year it never happens.

When I say "rather this than go the arcade route" I mean that if I was obsessed with ultra-responsivness I could play PES or Euro 2008, but IMO both offer arcade gameplay when compared to the gameplay of Fifa08, not to mention that the AI in Euro single player is an abomination.

You can't play PES 2008. It's just... wrong.

Last edited:

Exactly what happens every year for me with fifa. Only this time it happened less. Hope next year it never happens.
Same for me, even FIFA 07 on PC impressed me for a while, but after a couple of weeks it became a chore to play, and then it was just total repetitiveness and boredom.

Thankfully the same has not happened with FIFA 08 on 360 after a couple of months for me, and it doesn't seem like the sort of game that will because it has a lot of depth and different modes - If I get bored of 1v1 I could just go onto 5v5, and then after a while of 5v5 I might be back in the mood for 1v1...

With PES I never got bored of it at all until PES6, when I was constantly seeing the same type of goal constantly (cutback) and people just using Adriano/fast players.

If FIFA 09 has better teammate AI (bend their runs, get in better positions), better opposition AI (no super-human crap), manual passing, better keepers, improved shooting and slightly improved responses I will be very happy with it.

With OPM, i think, calling Fifa 09 a PES beater i hope we finally have a gem in our hands :)

I prefer Fifa08 over Euro08 too. too many flaws and too many stutters on ps3 made me sell it on ebay last week. the fifa09 news so far have made me wet my pants

With OPM, i think, calling Fifa 09 a PES beater i hope we finally have a gem in our hands :)
Yeah, it must be impressive if even OPM say it beats PES, they usually always say PES is better. It must be a bit special if they are going to say that :DD.

We will have to wait and see for ourselves but all the info we have heard about it so far has been very good.

Dont forget PSM3. They really disliked both FIFA 08 and UEFA Euro 2008 and this time for FIFA 09 their pie holes were firmly shut. :)

I'm disconcerted to see that PES "fanboy" magazines are giving plaudits to Fifa09, it makes me worry that EA have raped the sim gameplay out of Fifa08 even more than was already done with Euro 2008 :(

I can't believe that after PES08 they only know suggest that FIFA could be a PES beater.

Ah well, as long as 09 is more like 08 and not the Euro game then thats fine.

They should take out that bloody interactive celebration thing though.

And the cutscenes every 12 seconds for meaningless things, keep them in by all means but show them only for important or contentious moments.......

If I fire this up in September and hear....

"Shaun Wright Phillips... he's a real bundle of energy"

I will just end it all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom