FIFA 09 Discussion Thread (Old)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: UEFA Euro 2008

"FIFA 2009: Strong form for the other football.

EA Sports allowed the international assemblage of game journalists extensive hands-on time with the upcoming new version of FIFA 2009. Here's what we saw in this impressive demonstration:

Considerable gameplay improvements: Consistent with the company's improvements on its other football titles, FIFA 2009 exhibited some promising gameplay improvements. Most noticeable is the game's increased responsiveness. Passing, dribbling, and even the physical pushing and shoving that occurs in the game all occur at a much faster and more realistic pace than previous versions of FIFA. The game's graphics have traditionally been impressive, and the heightened realism around the animations has a huge positive impact on the overall quality of play. Here's an example: During sliding tackles, the ball-handler can adjust and prevent themselves from falling if their non weight-bearing leg is tackled. Another example is goalkeepers' ability to reach behind their bodies if they misjudge a shot on goal.

Customizable strategic depth: FIFA 2009 will allow players the ability to customize and create specific offensive and defensive play sets and strategies for different in-game scenarios by choosing between a variety of aggression levels and risk-taking.

Be A Pro: Players can create their own pro soccer player and attempt to become a legend by playing through a series of games staged over the course of 4 seasons.

In a riveting match between this reporter and a fairly experienced gaming writer from Poland, GamePro held fast to a 0-0 draw that held the game's Vancouver-based designers riveted. Based upon the raised eyebrows of my opponent, it was clear that Poland could not believe that this upstart American could hold his own on the pitch. "

http://www.gamepro.com/microsoft/xbox360/games/previews/183588.shtml

Hmmm... much faster pace... is that what you guys are waiting for? :SS

It says the physical pushing and shoving that occurs in the game all occur at a much faster and more realistic pace, not the speed of the overall play.

It also mentions the passing and dribbling, occuring in a much faster pace and I don't think that's a good idea.

It says the physical pushing and shoving that occurs in the game all occur at a much faster and more realistic pace, not the speed of the overall play.

No, it says "Passing, dribbling, and even the physical pushing and shoving that occurs in the game all occur at a much faster and more realistic pace".

I guess we can cling to the "more realistic pace" wordage.

No matter, I'll never implicitly trust the words of any (p)reviewer. Everyone perceives things in their own way and I'll make up my mind about the game when I play it.

EUR2O08 feels faster than FIFA08 but once you get used to the speed, you don't really notice. It's not ludicrously fast, unlike PES2008. It is not the speed that is the problem with that game, it's the non-existent defensive gameplay.

I didn't notice that part, well that is bad news if they are doing the same as Konami and making a lightning quick arcade game but I don't think EA will undo all their good work that easily.

EUR2O08 feels faster than FIFA08 but once you get used to the speed, you don't really notice. It's not ludicrously fast, unlike PES2008. It is not the speed that is the problem with that game, it's the non-existent defensive gameplay.

I fully agree with you, in particular about the defence.

Re: FIFA 09

Taken from WENB Forums (Thanks Lami):

FIFA 09 the latest installment of the top selling football franchise is
being developed at EA Canada and is boasting over 251 improvements from
FIFA 08. Over two weeks ago the game was shown at the EA Gamers Day.
Here are the latest rumours circulating about the game:

-
Improved physics system. FIFA 09 has an improved physics system which
affects both players and the football itself allowing for beautiful,
powerful and deveastating shots and unprecedented levels of realism
during a match.

- Improved animation system. The brilliant
animation system seen in FIFA 08 is improved upon to include hundreds
of new animations for players that further add to the simulation feel
of the game.

- New player faces. 3D player modelling is vastly
improved and now offers unbelievable similarities to the real life
counterparts.

- Increased response times and game speed. Player
response times have been increased to increase the flow of the game as
in real life, while game speed has been tweaked from FIFA 08.

-
Improved graphics, lighting, textures and crowd. Overall graphics have
been improved upon once again. Lighting changes in real-time depending
on the time of the match. Crowds in the stadium have been redeveloped
for the new entry.

- Player height and weight. Player weight and
height plays a cruical role in aspects such as aerial challenging and
strength on the ground.

- Visible referee, linesman, staff and
dugouts. For the first time in the FIFA series referees, linesmen, subs
and ground staff are all visible. All have distinct animations such as
subs warming up for their arrival.

- Weather options and pitch
affects. FIFA 09 now includes weather options such as rain and snow
which change conditions during the games progression. In addition the
pitch is now affected and becomes more worn during wet matches and
slide tackles.

- Increased number of teams and stadiums. As the
same during every release FIFA 09 will increase the number of licensed
club and international teams as well as their official corresponding
stadiums.

- Changes to Be A Pro and Manager Mode. FIFA 09 will
bring new changes to Be A Pro and Manager Mode such as camera angles
and enhanced options.

- Enhanced online modes. FIFA was the
first football game to allow upto 5vs5 online and now this is taken up
a gear with full 10vs10 online. Matches now have options for simple 1
player matches, 2vs2, 5vs5 and 10vs10 online games.

- Interactive Celebrations. As seen in UEFA Euro 2008, interactive celebrations will be incorporated into FIFA 09.

- Greatly improved edit mode. Edit mode has now been changed to incorporate a wealth of new options.

FIFA
09 is set to become the ultimate football simulation. New previews will
be released along with first screenshots by the end of June 2008.

-
Improved Artificial Intelligence system. AI systems have been recoded
and act far more realistically. AI now take actions based on the score
and change formation as appropriate. Attakcing and defensive measures
are used as well as risk assessment.

- Advanced tactics editor.
Attacking and defensive styles as well as changes to formation can now
be changed on the fly. Risks can be chosen as well as new changes to
set pieces.

- Less loading. FIFA is now more streamlined and
more efficient and as a result there is less pause and play due to the
fewer loading screens.

In
a recent 1up podcast, FIFA 09 is meant to have a revolutionary new
feature and was so good it was in for consideration for GOTY.

Right, thread re-opened. Now can we please keep it on topic with no random bitching or bullshit or it will be locked again, ta

EDIT: And Jack Bauer has deleted as much of the "random bitching" and "bullshit" as possible, so don't go making more work for him :NONO:

Last edited by a moderator:

No I don't think we can quite frankly, considering that there's zero news coming out (rambled speculation by some "journos" doesn't really count if it's not confirmed by EA), I still think this should be closed until the first real preview (ie more than 1 paragraph) or EA press release or such.......

I personally think there should be a locked news thread and an open discussion thread, like there always is with PES/WE releases. It's always interesting to discuss the rumours and what they could mean.

I personally think there should be a locked news thread and an open discussion thread, like there always is with PES/WE releases. It's always interesting to discuss the rumours and what they could mean.

thats the obvious thing to do, and i am suprised they keep getting closed or removed

doesn't take up that much of the database or slow down the mysql server lol

One thing I'm really hopeful for is new player attributes, as i think this is one thing FIFA was lacking, real difference between players. This is an area where Pro Evo is still ahead for me, as for example, someone like Henry is much faster Crespo, Drogba harder to knock off the ball than Huntelaar, Kaka can turn faster than Luca Toni.

You get my point? I'm not saying FIFA doesn't have such differences, it's just not as noteable as it could be. Hopefully an Edit mode like PES would be good, where we can change stats and save to our option files! Obviously to be reset for online games tho...

The offline AI has got to be better, no more fucking super human CPU please! :MAD:

Indeed, if I'm a prem team face a League 2 team I expect them to work hard, close me down quickly, kick lumps out of me, but not go on mazy 30 yard dribbles beating 5 of my players before flicking the ball up and vollying it in from 20 yards out..........

The offline AI has got to be better, no more fucking super human CPU please! :MAD:
When it plays fair, it's actually quite good but it does go into "super-human mode" where it can do whatever it likes; be untackleable, pass to anyone and beat anyone in the air with anyone etc. but I suppose if it didn't have that then we would complain about it being too easy/scripted. In PES the only thing that let the CPU have a chance occasionally was the AI cheating.
No AI will match how a human brain sees the game and be able to match it's unpredictability or tactical awareness, that's why I think playing online with fair players of a similar skill is the best way you can play any football game.

All they need to do is flip round the AI of the big teams and the wee teams. That way, I will struggle like hell against Germany as they play immaculate possession football, and wipe the floor with San Marino, unlike EURO2008 which is the other way around.

Come on EA, no need to be cocks about this any longer.

I dunno what to think of this lately, I truly am loving FIFA yet since Euro has came out it first got raving review yet now its shit so thats a concern, I really think improving the AI, Player animations and faces is needed.(this needs a big improvement, absolutely shit looking) More depth to the defensive play rather than chasing defenders whilst holding:x:. more depth to each player, their needs to be a individuality, when in control of Kaka it feels the same as when your in control of a Championship player. i can accept it could be difficult doing this for lower divisions but for all the top ones they should have individuality and then improve on that in future releases. Im happy with 5v5 for now i think its the right balance 10v10 wont work IMO not many people want to control less involved players while 5 on each side is enough to find appropriate players as well as enough more involving positions to go around. all the other stuff has been confirmed like Be a Pro Seasons etc. Still one thing im eagerly awaiting is the "revolutionary" feature, hopefully this game lives up to its hype.

Every game becomes less fun when you play it to death, it doesn't matter how good something is it will have faults and if you play it to death you will get sick of them, unless they're fixed (and it would require so much work to fix some things - I'm talking about AI where one fix can totally screw up everything else, just look at the SI forums when they release a patch).

People will say "SWOS didn't have faults" but it's easy to say that now. I was raving about SWOS when it was re-released on the 360, a week later and I'd realised how far games have come. It just doesn't compare. Back then games were so simple there was nothing to go wrong, when you got bored of it the only reason you could give was that it got boring. You can't compare one-dimensional gameplay to what you can do in PES and FIFA, and the physics in FIFA are outstanding. I'm grateful for the games, and yes there are faults, but there will never be a perfect game.

I'm praying for a MUCH MORE in-depth Manager Mode!

- CL games played at night
- Cup Finals at real venues (Wembley)
- Celebrations lifting the trophy
- Summer negotiations to be done through the months of June, July and August. Not during matches (August)
- Accurate transfer fee's

etc etc etc...

They could put Francis Benali on the front cover for all I care! That is the least of my worries with the game.

I hope to see more features, less fake teams (like Napoli, Cagliari, Russia National Team, IFK etc who had fake kits) and more teams from round the world.

They should put in the Argentine League and Russian Leagues. These leagues have great teams and lots of good players. To be honest if they can put the Swiss, Austria, Czech, Irish and Auzzie leagues in then they should have Argentina and Russia.

Even if they don't make the above they should put in more club teams in the "Rest of the World" section. I would like to be able to play the Copa Libertadores in the game, even if not the group stage, the knockouts or quarterfinals would be good. If the likes of AC Lugano, Chau de Fonds and Wisla Plock are there then San Lorenzo, CSKA Moscow, Zenit St. Petersberg, Lanus, Newell's Old Boys, Independente, LDU Quito etc should be there.

And on the national teams, they should have all of the teams present in Euro 2008 in as national teams. I'm sick of seeing the likes of New Zealand, China etc yet no Serbia, Iran, Angola, Tunisia, Costa Rica etc even though these teams were all in the last world cup...

They should put in the Argentine League and Russian Leagues. These leagues have great teams and lots of good players. To be honest if they can put the Swiss, Austria, Czech, Irish and Auzzie leagues in then they should have Argentina and Russia.

Sure thing, but when everyone only ever seems to play with the same 8 teams - Barca, Real Madrid, Man U, Chelsea, Liverpool, AC Milan, Inter and Bayern Munich - what would be the point?

If I go online for 5v5 and choose a team from, for example, the Norwegian league, people can't get out of the lobby quick enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom