FIFA 08

Re: FIFA 08 (360 & PS3)

Adonis is right. All of you who "try" FIFA 07 and UCL for the 360 are playing it the same way you play PES, which simply doesnt work. Play it for a good month and learn the game rather than simply dismissing it out of hand. I tell the same thing to my mates, who try to play it the same, and they dont listen either...and gomito you need to do more research before you make harsh accusations...."You guys are in the minority." Look around a bit and you'll see that FIFA's sales in recent times have far and away been better than PES'.
Similarly to mjp..i was once OBSESSED with PES and the patching. I would spend literally days doing it myself or playing the masterleague. Now, I have two options. If i watch football on TV, i feel like playing UCL. If i just want to smack the shit out of the ball - i play PES. Odd how PES is my 'arcade' and 'unrealistic' one. Its really quite shocking when i play PES, give the ball the scholes, and the ball flies like a jumbo jet across the field. Then i play training...and take volleys from corners - and every time it's the same, perfect top corner - whether its carrick or scholes or gary fucking neville for fucks sake. UCL's volleys are really, really hard to hit, and it does get frustrating. But it only makes you time them better, improve the quality of the football you play. Most of my goals in UCL come from passing, dribbling and the occasional rebound, whereas in PES nearly every single one is from 30 yards out in off both the crossbar and post. Its a really, really simple choice once you give UCL a chance, which im afraid not many do.
so what if fifa sales are better, im sure fifa 2006 sold better then PES5, but which was better... sales dont tell me which game is better..

i picked up the magazine on the way to work today, not had a proper chance to read it but it does contain a 8 page preview of FIFA 08, seems to suggest that the game has improved in every area and that the ball physics are better than PES. I will scan it and post on here if someone else hasn't by the team I get home tonight.

Sweet thanks, looking forward to it :)

My personal top 3 wishes for 08 are:

1. More Leagues inc Championship
2. Enhanced and improved manager mode
3. Player editor similar to PES' which implements changes into all modes, so we can fix all the players with the wrong feet, wrong hair, wrong race! :)

i'd be surprised if this game wasn't one of the launch partners for HOME.

He confirms Leeds are in and they've just been relegated, so... My Tranmere should be in it... Oh God... Give me this game now...

If the magazine Kamy is gonna scan is as vague and non-informative as that "interview" I will not be a happy puppy!

As for the "interview", PES/WE for a couple of versions has had a single controlled player mode so they don't know shit :)

If you read the first line of the Eurogamer interview it sounds like they're gonna have more stuff on the game later today.

IGN will also.

For the lazy people who just want to know certain things...

Tricks are back in the game.

Eurogamer said:
FIFA 07 fans will be keen to hear about [this]: the skill move system. Because, of course, 07 didn't bother with it. "We did that on purpose because that felt very old-fashioned," Joe Booth explains. "It was a button combination and a canned move, and we wanted something a bit more organic." So, for the sake of freedom of footballing expression, you can now hug the left trigger to move into pace-control, and then use the right-stick to perform timed, combined skill moves: a step-over is an upward gesture that turns to the right, for instance. We're shown a chart of all the skill moves you can do, and it's already dozens, with more to come. All can be initiated from a standing start, a jog, or a slow dribble. You can do reverse-stepovers, flip-flaps (Ronaldinho's one-foot misdirection), over-the-head rainbow flicks, fake shots, heel to heel, even Rebonas.

Lower-leagues will be in:

Joe Booth said:
We have all the leagues and teams of the current-gen last year, which was 26 leagues [including English Premiership, Championship, League One, League Two], and we've taken that and we've added four more to take it to 30 leagues, so that gets us to 15,000 players

The new shot system sounds like a brilliant idea:

EuroGamer said:
Along similar lines, the team has adjusted the shot-power bar so that in pressured situations, it fills faster; the ball flying off-course. Previously it was harder to tell at-a-glance why your shot had come off wrong.

Without meaning to take a dig at Konami and get myself a few more items of hate-mail, look at the way they describe the physics in the article JayM links to above. They are covering everything, they even figure out air density before the shot lifts off. Incredible.

EuroGamer said:
There's times, listening to Booth and his colleagues Gary Paterson and Kaz Makita, and playing around in the Arena mode with Ronaldinho, that FIFA sounds like the most realistic football game ever made. Consider what happens when you take a shot. Often you just kick the ball and don't think about it. Frank Lampard certainly does. The 22-page design document for FIFA 08's shot system, which Paterson walks us through, suggests EA does think about it.

EuroGamer said:
The ball, now completely freed from the animation system, is influenced by variables most of us never think about. The connecting foot's angle and position in 3D space is the starter step. Then it factors in its lateral and incoming velocity, the air pressure and density, and the mass of the ball, among other things. The endless graphics on Paterson's Word document show the multitudinous possible outcomes. "Once upon a time we used to compute error by saying, okay, the guy's trying to shoot into the top-corner, we want to do error so we're going to move it into space over here," Joe Booth explains, waving his arms about. "But that's not how real physics works, so what we do now is apply the error to the ball, so you get much more subtlety." Like the Reynolds effect. Which is what, maths-man Gary Paterson? "It's where you hit it so hard the spin doesn't have any effect on the ball until it's slowed down enough. Like Roberto Carlos' goal against France." Aha.

To put that into context, PES figures out where your shot is going to go by your entire body's position in relation to the goal and the direction you aim with the stick. There are no other factors. Now that doesn't mean that you won't prefer PES, but if you do, you're preferring the less-realistic game, and that's the end of the matter.

If you're going to get any real "evolution" with next-gen football it's going to come from these guys.

Last edited:

all the things that Jack Bauer says are excellent points but until we get some hard facts about WE11 or PES7 the glass is only half full.

Sounds like a lot of hot air to me.

11v11 FFS sort out the core engine 1st.
You've skim-read the articles then... They're not planning on implementing that until 2010. If they're going to put a few weeks' work per year into that up until 2010, I'm fine with that.

all the things that Jack Bauer says are excellent points but until we get some hard facts about WE11 or PES7 the glass is only half full.
True, I can't argue with you there. But I'll tell you something, this is going to be the best year yet for football games, surely...

my mail has just come and still no OPM.

Sweet thanks, looking forward to it :)

My personal top 3 wishes for 08 are:

1. More Leagues inc Championship
2. Enhanced and improved manager mode
3. Player editor similar to PES' which implements changes into all modes, so we can fix all the players with the wrong feet, wrong hair, wrong race! :)

I wanted more leagues but i dont care now for obvious reasons :)

Anyone know what the new leagues will be? He says that we will get all the ones from the last gen versions plus 4 more. :)

sorry but this all sounds just like the same bullshit they told us before world cup 06, fifa 07 and championsleague 07. all of them turned out more or less the same, if shite or not depends on personal preferences, but i wouldn't give a fuck about ea's marketing hype all over the press.

they are THE masters of manipulating people and press, i would not trust anything they say until i try it out myself or a get a review from ign or any other independent site who played the game without any ea-guys sitting next to them.

Last edited:

Shame the eurogamer impressions post was actually a interview with EA teling how great they are making it. Shame on you eurogamer.

Ill wait and see and reserve judgement till ive played the thing, however the added control over driblling will hopefully mean better overal responsiveness. Its good that they are going towards currentgen content wise, just hope they improve the sharpness of the gameplay.

It does sound awesome.

However, the shooting thing is worrying.

In real life obviously a striker has a lot more control over the shot, because he can position his body, lean back, place his standing foot in different positions, open his body and apply curve or swing, or he can wrap his foot around the ball. Now, If FIFA 08 gives you the greatest level of player control ever seen in a football game, which is probably possible, it still won't be enough to create a realistic shooting system, because it all fairness it is just a game, and there are still thousands of aspects of football that are not avaliable in these so called simulations. To me, taking into account Air Pressure etc is just not needed.

I do like the sounds of the new shot power system, that was defo lacking in 07.

Speed control whilst dribbling is another one. And I look forward to the be a pro mode!

Looks like Konami will have their work cut out.

Last edited:

For the lazy people who just want to know certain things...

Tricks are back in the game.

Lower-leagues will be in:

The new shot system sounds like a brilliant idea:

Without meaning to take a dig at Konami and get myself a few more items of hate-mail, look at the way they describe the physics in the article JayM links to above. They are covering everything, they even figure out air density before the shot lifts off. Incredible.

To put that into context, PES figures out where your shot is going to go by your entire body's position in relation to the goal and the direction you aim with the stick. There are no other factors. Now that doesn't mean that you won't prefer PES, but if you do, you're preferring the less-realistic game, and that's the end of the matter.

If you're going to get any real "evolution" with next-gen football it's going to come from these guys.

jack how is it realistic that gary Neville can shoot just as well as frank lampard as long as you position your body and foot correctly? In real life we all know gary neville shits the bed anytime he shoots, his technique isnt good, his power isn't good, his placement is usually wherever the keeper is, fifa doesnt take this into account. Thats my biggest gripe, that to me is utterly unrealistic, that as long as you properly positon the player and you body is right, he will rip shots in goal. So once i master fifa shooting i can take edwin van der sar, put him at forward and score 20 goals a season, yeah that seems VERY REALISTIC. End of story jack. :) In pes the stats/attributes actually mean something, thats why many people feel its more realistic and it has more depth. So when you win the Champions league with your beloved tranmere and there original players, you will realize what im talking about... that could never happen in PES/WE

so what if fifa sales are better, im sure fifa 2006 sold better then PES5, but which was better... sales dont tell me which game is better..

Thats not what I was saying. I agree that PES5 is a better game than fifa 06...i was just saying that as far as 'being in the minority' goes for game popularity, i thought that was a bit inaccurate considering the number of fifa players vs. pes players. Dont get me wrong. Until fifa 07 for 360 the fifa games were not even worth playing.

As far as 08 goes, all those previews have gotten me seriously excited, which is a shame as there's still so long to go until the game's released. I'll anticipate it too much now and the time will go slow :roll:

jack how is it realistic that gary Neville can shoot just as well as frank lampard as long as you position your body and foot correctly? In real life we all know gary neville shits the bed anytime he shoots, his technique isnt good, his power isn't good, his placement is usually wherever the keeper is, fifa doesnt take this into account. Thats my biggest gripe, that to me is utterly unrealistic, that as long as you properly positon the player and you body is right, he will rip shots in goal. So once i master fifa shooting i can take edwin van der sar, put him at forward and score 20 goals a season, yeah that seems VERY REALISTIC. End of story jack. :) In pes the stats/attributes actually mean something, thats why many people feel its more realistic and it has more depth. So when you win the Champions league with your beloved tranmere and there original players, you will realize what im talking about... that could never happen in PES/WE
I tell you now mate, if I can get Tranmere to the Premiership (never mind the CL), then I will be the first to tell you you're right.

It seems to me though that what you're complaining about can be fixed with a simple stats-to-engine fix (i.e. if shooting is less than X number then the shot bar will always shoot off the screen and you'll have to be very skilful to score), and from the sounds of what they're doing with the shot-bar that may well happen.

And bear in mind that you'll always have people who say "if I master the game why shouldn't I be able to score from 30 yards out with Gary Neville, and why shouldn't I be able to beat Man Utd 10-0 with Tranmere if I master the game" - I totally agree with you, it shouldn't be possible, but you can't please all the people all the time and there will always be people who say "but it's not impossible for a defender to score, so why has the engine made it like this? THAT'S NOT REALISM!! CRAP GAME!!".

isnt there a very strong chance that the opm shots wil be identical to the french version?

Back
Top Bottom