FIFA 08

Re: FIFA 08 (360 & PS3)

Well he wouldn't say they sit around all day playing PES would he...

I'm not a massive fan of PES, but i've played the Fifa 07 current gen, and the shooting is diabolical. The physics on shots are awful too Its terrible, the whole positioning your body thing is rubbish, In real life you can face NW and drag the ball across into the far corner, you do not have the face towards the goal! No matter which direction you push or pull the stick towards when you shoot is just flIES past he near post.

The other thing with Fifa is that you never feel you have control of the ball, its too jerky, even with the analogue stick, so you cannot position your body. Total rubbish. The crossing is also terrible at times.

If Fifa 08 fixes the shooting then we're onto a winner.

I'm not a massive fan of PES, but i've played the Fifa 07 current gen, and the shooting is diabolical. The physics on shots are awful too Its terrible, the whole positioning your body thing is rubbish, In real life you can face NW and drag the ball across into the far corner, you do not have the face towards the goal! No matter which direction you push or pull the stick towards when you shoot is just flIES past he near post.

The other thing with Fifa is that you never feel you have control of the ball, its too jerky, even with the analogue stick, so you cannot position your body. Total rubbish. The crossing is also terrible at times.

If Fifa 08 fixes the shooting then we're onto a winner.
fixes the shooting, the crossing, the dribbling, the players looking like hunchbacks with NBA shorts, and the attributes effectiveness...

EA Marketing Dude thinks that FIFA is better than PES:

And he's correct.

I'm not a massive fan of PES, but i've played the Fifa 07 current gen

I'd suggest you try Fifa07 next gen (or better yet UEFA), it's a whole new ballgame, if you'll forgive the pun ;)

And yes you can be facing one direction and shoot on target, it's not simply about the direction you face, it's about your momentum, it's about how well the ball is under control. As far as I'm concerned the shooting is far more realistic than anything I've played before, look at a real match, if a player doesn't have the ball under control it tends to go anywhere but on target when he shoots, if he snatches at a shot before he's settled it can go anywhere, or just like in Fifa/UEFA it could result in very little power being generated.

I've been playing football games since the days of the Microprose's International soccer cartridge on the commodore 64, back in 1983, as far as I'm concerned Fifa07/UEFA plays the most realistic game of football I've played before, it plays the most enjoyable game of football I've played before, obviously it has some flaws that could use fixing but PES/WE has had many flaws for a long time so don't kid yourselves......

how will the new fifa on the ps3 compare to the pc version? ive seen video of new fifa but dont wanna buy a ps3 if i can get just as good on the pc with a decent graphics card?

I've been playing football games since the days of the Microprose's International soccer cartridge on the commodore 64, back in 1983, as far as I'm concerned Fifa07/UEFA plays the most realistic game of football I've played before, it plays the most enjoyable game of football I've played before, obviously it has some flaws that could use fixing but PES/WE has had many flaws for a long time so don't kid yourselves......

Did they have the cartridges in 1983? I had a 64 and I had microprose Soccer and it was on a tape.

That game was the nuts - it had indoor football aswell!! ah Memories!

And he's correct.

I'd suggest you try Fifa07 next gen (or better yet UEFA), it's a whole new ballgame, if you'll forgive the pun ;)

And yes you can be facing one direction and shoot on target, it's not simply about the direction you face, it's about your momentum, it's about how well the ball is under control. As far as I'm concerned the shooting is far more realistic than anything I've played before, look at a real match, if a player doesn't have the ball under control it tends to go anywhere but on target when he shoots, if he snatches at a shot before he's settled it can go anywhere, or just like in Fifa/UEFA it could result in very little power being generated.

i have no idea how you guys can think this

i have no idea how you guys can think this

Pretty easily. Just because you have become acustomed to PES and actually believed it was realistic due to the lack of competition, now FIFA has turned the corner and produced something different which is actually more realsitic because it's different you can't actually fathom how dated the PES engine actually is. Konami have sat on their arse for years and only tweaked the engine rather than make serious innovations with it. FIFA 08 will I believe the game when FIFA becomes the undisputed king the same way WE/PES has been for years.

There is only one thing i hate about Fifa thats you cant tackle for shit.

You really can, it's just about timing and care, obviously sometimes there's bad calls, good tackles given as fouls, but when an opponent is running at you, if you position yourself correctly, ie don't be square on to him be above or below, just match his pace running backwards towards your own goal and wait for him to knock it a little ahead or lose control slightly, then you can win the ball simply by moving your guys' foot onto it, no need to press any button.

At first I really struggled with the tackling but now I learned to take my time, use one of my other guys pressing to force the player with the ball onto the player I'm controlling, greatly increases the amount of attempted tackles to won balls.

Obviously the problem of winning the ball is that the opponent recovers virtually instantly which means it's highly likely they'll win the ball right back, but that's just something we have to live with and adapt to until it's (hopefully) improved in 08.

Pretty easily. Just because you have become acustomed to PES and actually believed it was realistic due to the lack of competition, now FIFA has turned the corner and produced something different which is actually more realsitic because it's different you can't actually fathom how dated the PES engine actually is. Konami have sat on their arse for years and only tweaked the engine rather than make serious innovations with it. FIFA 08 will I believe the game when FIFA becomes the undisputed king the same way WE/PES has been for years.
differnt, or just an attempt to replicate what konami has been doing for years? Have you ever seen a Fifa style control scheme on a PES game? The fifa engine is incomplete. You cant shoot properly, crossing is HORRENDUS, Dribbling, what dribbling? FIFA still is not better then multiplayer PES. You guys are in the minority. FIFA has a good passing system, thats about it. They get defense, crossing, shooting, and dribbling all wrong. Sorry mate, thats how me and every person i play with feel.

Personally I can shoot, cross, pass, dribble perfectly fine in Fifa/UEFA, only thing that's a bit of a random challenge is tackling, but most times if I don't panic I come out with the ball.

No idea if you're talking about the next gen versions but I score a ton of goals from crosses, either direct with headers/volleys/half volleys or by crossing to a player in space who assists or scores, what's so hard about crossing?

I just tried the 360 PES06 demo and it is complete and utter dirge, looks like a PS2 game and plays like some kind of crappy arcade football, I'm glad that EA have taken football games to the next level so I'm still not stuck playing the utter shite that is PES/WE.

It's ironic that this is a mirror of my attitude when I first discovered WE5 or whatever number it was at when I tried it, WE/PES was a great game for a few years but as far as I'm concerned it's completely antiquated, commentary, presentation, graphics, modes, it's all so 2002 whereas Fifa actually looks, sounds, feels, plays like a modern game, the only thing I miss from PES is the player editor, it's great to be able to fix the database errors in appearance or whatever and have them show up in the currently active managerial game......

Personally I can shoot, cross, pass, dribble perfectly fine in Fifa/UEFA, only thing that's a bit of a random challenge is tackling, but most times if I don't panic I come out with the ball.

No idea if you're talking about the next gen versions but I score a ton of goals from crosses, either direct with headers/volleys/half volleys or by crossing to a player in space who assists or scores, what's so hard about crossing?

I just tried the 360 PES06 demo and it is complete and utter dirge, looks like a PS2 game and plays like some kind of crappy arcade football, I'm glad that EA have taken football games to the next level so I'm still not stuck playing the utter shite that is PES/WE.

It's ironic that this is a mirror of my attitude when I first discovered WE5 or whatever number it was at when I tried it, WE/PES was a great game for a few years but as far as I'm concerned it's completely antiquated, commentary, presentation, graphics, modes, it's all so 2002 whereas Fifa actually looks, sounds, feels, plays like a modern game, the only thing I miss from PES is the player editor, it's great to be able to fix the database errors in appearance or whatever and have them show up in the currently active managerial game......
i have never ever seen a cross go to a player in space in fifa, the player crosses the ball literally takes a 90 degree turn straight to where the player is, no leading, just straight to his head, and i scored, the problem is, it looked so completley unrealistic, with no bend, no curve, just in a perfect straight line. In PES you can cross from outside the box and curve it in, ala becks... i havent been able to do this in FIFA07 or UEFA for 360... and no one has responded to my post about all players in fifa/uefa being identical to each other... there is not any depth..

and no one has responded to my post about all players in fifa/uefa being identical to each other... there is not any depth..
I haven't responded because I'm fed up of being called a prick for it, but seeing as you asked nicely... If you're telling me that when you're Paul Scholes and you pass the ball to Cristiano Ronaldo on the wing, he feels like the same player and it's not easier to run, and to dribble around opponents (admittedly he's probably the only player that I can actually dribble with), then I must be a fanboy and I must be seeing things that aren't there - despite the fact that I fear it, and my mates fear it, whenever the ball is sprayed out to him.

At the end of the day, it's pointless discussing this anyway because if you don't like the game, what's the point in talking about the game like you're giving it a fair chance when you're not going to (which is fair enough if you don't like it, let's be honest here, I'm not going to play PES6 every day to try and get into it when I feel like it plays like a stiff, stale piece of crap)?

Last edited:

differnt, or just an attempt to replicate what konami has been doing for years? Have you ever seen a Fifa style control scheme on a PES game? The fifa engine is incomplete. You cant shoot properly, crossing is HORRENDUS, Dribbling, what dribbling? FIFA still is not better then multiplayer PES. You guys are in the minority. FIFA has a good passing system, thats about it. They get defense, crossing, shooting, and dribbling all wrong. Sorry mate, thats how me and every person i play with feel.

Your correct, the engine is incomplete which makes it even more worrying for PES as FIFA is now better with an incomplete NEW engine, FIFA are pushing boundries while Konami have just used a rehashed engine for the last 6 - 7 years.

I haven't responded because I'm fed up of being called a prick for it, but seeing as you asked nicely... If you're telling me that when you're Paul Scholes and you pass the ball to Cristiano Ronaldo on the wing, he feels like the same player and it's not easier to run, and to dribble around opponents (admittedly he's probably the only player that I can actually dribble with), then I must be a fanboy and I must be seeing things that aren't there - despite the fact that I fear it, and my mates fear it, whenever the ball is sprayed out to him.

At the end of the day, it's pointless discussing this anyway because if you don't like the game, what's the point in talking about the game like you're giving it a fair chance when you're not going to (which is fair enough if you don't like it, let's be honest here, I'm not going to play PES6 every day to try and get into it when I feel like it plays like a stiff, stale piece of crap)?
i have played both fifa and uefa over and over again(not because i like it) but because i was bored for about three weeks with nothing to do(got real sick), and i dont understand what you guys see in the new versions... i will grant you that two players for me to stand out, ronladhino and ronaldo, BUT THATS IT. And they only thing that seperates them is that there super fast... David Villa feels the exact same as Drogba, and dont get me started on the lower teams...

for me the players dont feel any different atall, they are all pretty quick and can all sprint with it, for example, i did a through ball for my valencia striker with 3 barcelona defenders from the same starting point, he outsprinted them for the half way line and scored, guess which one it was.......morientes... that said alot for me about stats and stuff. the game has come along way, its good, but its still nto quite there

i totaly agree with you gomito#10 in everything u pointed out, fifa 07 xbox360 in my opinion was worst then fifa07 on ps2 on the old engine.
so yes pes6 has a very old engine but it still plays better & its more fun 2 play against friends, anyways fifa07 was a good step but not a complited game, the new engine wasn't finish, hopefully ea will do better with fifa08, but again u don't ecpect alot from ea sport

hopefully i'll get my copy in the post 2morow, if so i'll post the scans.

hopefully i'll get my copy in the post 2morow, if so i'll post the scans.

Me too mate. Typical really, the first time Im actually looking forward to a mag it doesnt come early!

All this Fifa debate is getting tiring, like Jack I try to ignore it. Not because I love it like he does, but more because people on here go on a bit too much.

The way I see it is simple, if you try to play Fifa nextgen the same as PES then you're fucked from the off. You really have to approach it entirely different. Im no Fifa fan, but I do feel this will be the one to get me back into the series.

and btw, tacking in the game is shite. The amount of fouls given away for clean tackles is awful. Im sure we all must agree on that. Just had to that point in ;)

2morow is june 1st so hopefully then.

I hope at the end of this magazine we can see a Konami logo with this text "the real football simulation coming on PS3" OPM July :)

Tackling - I played my 1st game of PES6 (360) since 30th March over the weekend and my first 3 tackles were red cards. I reverted back to UEFA straight away and found the tackling to be more accurate. However, that's sliding tackles, which when timed properley can be very effective and unlike PES there is a consistency to the refereeing. Saying all that though, I'm now used to UEFA and no longer used to PES so that could explain it. Also, blocking (ie tackling wihtout sliding on your arse) is near to impossible for me on UEFA and it annoys the hell out of me the amount of goals I concede from the CPU dribbling around me cause I can't stop him!

Player Attributes - Agree with JB that Ronaldo feels different to Scholes but as someone else has said, there aren't many that feel too different. Hell I'm playing as West Ham at the moment (for a change) and having a great campaign, on World Class, and can't feel any difference between playing as them to any other team I usually play with (Liverpool, Valencia and Barcelona). The main differences I notice are the tactics and formations. I played as Blackburn over the weekend and took Spartak apart with great football that was as good as anything else I've done with the better teams.

So, on these two points above, I feel the people critising the game are correct. BUT, I once was obsessed with Pro Evo but now don't play it at all and even after trying an experimental game over the weekend, still have no plans to go back.

This doesn't make me a FIFA-fan-boy - it just means I have a preference for the feel of UEFA over the tired engine of Pro Evo.

Ok, move on.

Adonis is right. All of you who "try" FIFA 07 and UCL for the 360 are playing it the same way you play PES, which simply doesnt work. Play it for a good month and learn the game rather than simply dismissing it out of hand. I tell the same thing to my mates, who try to play it the same, and they dont listen either...and gomito you need to do more research before you make harsh accusations...."You guys are in the minority." Look around a bit and you'll see that FIFA's sales in recent times have far and away been better than PES'.
Similarly to mjp..i was once OBSESSED with PES and the patching. I would spend literally days doing it myself or playing the masterleague. Now, I have two options. If i watch football on TV, i feel like playing UCL. If i just want to smack the shit out of the ball - i play PES. Odd how PES is my 'arcade' and 'unrealistic' one. Its really quite shocking when i play PES, give the ball the scholes, and the ball flies like a jumbo jet across the field. Then i play training...and take volleys from corners - and every time it's the same, perfect top corner - whether its carrick or scholes or gary fucking neville for fucks sake. UCL's volleys are really, really hard to hit, and it does get frustrating. But it only makes you time them better, improve the quality of the football you play. Most of my goals in UCL come from passing, dribbling and the occasional rebound, whereas in PES nearly every single one is from 30 yards out in off both the crossbar and post. Its a really, really simple choice once you give UCL a chance, which im afraid not many do.

I hope at the end of this magazine we can see a Konami logo with this text "the real football simulation coming on PS3" OPM July :)

i fully expect PES7 to be mentioned in the mag and i fully expect them to have a review in future issues for WE11, they do it every year.

Back
Top Bottom