FIFA 08 Manager Mode Adventure Thread

I have now, but only by a further point. But that shouldn't matter surely when dealing with an average or even below average rated youngster/player.

I think it does Prof...i've upgraded that and i haven't got any troubles.
The upgrading system needs adjusting IMHO.
Take the stamina. At the beginning it is virtually impossible to play two matches in a row with certain players (most players if i remember). Once you have reached 6/10 it is totally unnecessary to rotate...i have only one player that i rotate...the transition between low stamina and very high stamina should go more gradually.
Maybe if i would play European football i should talk otherwise. So perhaps my comment about the stamina is premature.

Gerd, im on 6/10 with fitness staff, and I thought it was a bit too good with the non rotating, but then I started to get midweek game followed by weekend then again midweek. And It does actually work quite well as you do need to rest some

but it is a bit of a stupid option really

What number are you on for negotiations, Gerd? I guess i have to toe the line and up the pointage of it. It still seems a bit silly to me though particularly at a small club.

Anyway, moving on...You will notice some players getting tired when you have midweek cup or European games, Gerd. Now that my team's stamina is up, i can attempt to field a more regular starting XI, tweaking here and there, depending on the opposition. I had a player catch my eye the other game. He was a reserve originally, but he had a cracking cup game and now he's a regular on the bench and making appearances.

Unhappy players probably won't sign new contracts, but if their contract runs out when the season ends they will automatically sign a new contract for you (unless you say no) in which case they'll be released on a free, but if you wait until the season ends you'll have no say over the length of their contract or wages and such.....

Well I managed to finish my first Accrington Stanley season today, whoo.

So after having a poor start and recieving the dreaded vote, or should that be non-vote, of confidence from the board I managed to sign 3 players before the transfer window closed. They really saved me my job as all 3 were attacking reinforcements it enable me to actually score from my limited number of chances. Also during this period I changed my formation from a 3-5-2 back to a 4-4-2 diamond. This really helped me defensively as i was conceding to many goals from crosses with just the 3 centre backs. Anyway, I invested in my fitness staff and started putting a run together and winning some matches.

By January I was in the top half and managed to overhaul my back 4 and also sign a couple of wingers. This meant that nearly my entire team had changed bar the goalie, DM and RB. It really helped as my new central partnership were strong and fast and nearly invincible, well I didnt concede much. So contiuing the earlier form i was colsing in on the promotion places (my personal goal for this season, with the boards being "a decent position"). After 32 games i was in 4th place, some 10 points behind 1st and 7 behind second. I was just glad to be there and hoped I could see out the season and hold on to the promotion place.

However instead of keeping up, the top two lost their form and quickly lost their lead. So now with 5 games left of the season the 3 teams were seperated by goal difference and 3 points in total. Fortunatly I still had a couple of matches against my rivals and continuing my form i managed to beat both and not lose a match in the final stretch of the season. Eventually I won the league by 9 points.

In the mean time I had gotton to the 5th round of the FA Cup and with the season coming to an end I managed to beat MK Dons 1-0 in the LDV vans trophy to do a lower league double.

So after winning the double I was obviously hot property in the management world and had a few choices. Should I move on to a league 1 outfit and try ot build a new team and win new succes, or should I stick with my A.S. and invest in some new players and try to get a midtable position. I decided to stay and show some loyalty to the lads. So with the new season just underway (4 games) i managed to sign a few more players (a new AM, a new DM, a new LW, a new LB and a new GK) meaning the whole of the old team was now a thing of the past and my collection of mainly Latin American, Spanish and Eastern European players were the new generation to take AS to even more succes. The first few games of the season the new players were bedding in but already they were showing the class with the passing now looking even better and sharper with more off the ball movement and more flair. The results werent to bad either, 1 draw and 3 wins means AS sits in 2nd in their first season in League 1.

If they, and even moreso the manager, continue the succes and manage a top half finish I think it will be impossible for AS to hold on to me. Im already having my agent take a look at the Championship teams to see if there are any with enough prestige to take on this up and coming, future superstar, manager.

[all games play on pro level]

So you can choose any club you want? So you don't even need good manager prestige?

Im nearly finished, I have won my recent games, will either update later, or update everything once Ive finished got about 14 games left or more so be huge so might seperate it up to make it easier for me and you to read haha. But I nearly went out in the FA cup to sheffield united, I scored was cruising 1-0 werent really paying attention, and they were playing it around me, ad then late on they scored, no goals in extra time, but luckily they spooned one wide and I scored all mine.

Penalties are too easy to score, its hard to save, I find if I dive the right way the keeper still doesnt get a hand to it, most of the time.

So you can choose any club you want? So you don't even need good manager prestige?

Right, not realistic of course, hopefully 09 will have manager/career aspects much more fleshed out so you can have the option of starting with a small team and having to earn the right to manage a big club and such.

Penalties are too easy to score, its hard to save, I find if I dive the right way the keeper still doesnt get a hand to it, most of the time.

IIRC I've conceded 2 in open play in manager mode (after 46 games) saved 1, Torres scored his in the FA cup, which the bastard dived to win in the first place :( and in a penalty shootout (not against Liverpool, this was Mansfield or someone) I saved their final kick after they'd already hit one wide. You are pressing then holding the direction you want to dive right?

Need to do a proper update but the short version is that with 4 matches to go I'm in first place by 1 point, 2nd, believe it or not are Sheffield United but I have a game in hand over them, today's session has been up and down, started with a couple of draws then a loss which saw me drop to 4th, two 1-0 wins in a row has seen me jump back to 1st, Jeffers had been banging the goals in all season and was up to 28, then he hit a real lean spell and didn't score in about 10 matches, I wasn't playing any different so no idea what happened, fortunately Clarke kept scoring and he's now up to 22 and 2nd top scorer in the league, last match was Crystal Palace away who are fighting for relegation, Clarke cross from the left, Jeffers looping header, he finally ends his barren spell and gets us the win, anyone who says that you don't feel any emotion when playing/scoring in Fifa is talking utter, utter, utter, utter, bullshit, I pumped the air with my fist so hard when the final whistle blew, really had to hang on for the three points!

Did I mention my final match of the season is away to Sheffield Utd? Depending on results a win for us might stop them being promoted, or a win might be needed for me to get promoted, exciting stuff ;)

Right, not realistic of course, hopefully 09 will have manager/career aspects much more fleshed out so you can have the option of starting with a small team and having to earn the right to manage a big club and such.

IIRC I've conceded 2 in open play in manager mode (after 46 games) saved 1, Torres scored his in the FA cup, which the bastard dived to win in the first place :( and in a penalty shootout (not against Liverpool, this was Mansfield or someone) I saved their final kick after they'd already hit one wide. You are pressing then holding the direction you want to dive right?

Ive had two penalty shoot outs in the cup won both as they spooned it wide, both right on each occasion luckily, I have scored all of mine, I hold the left stick where I want to dive, and sometimes move the right to move along the line, get close to the ball, but it eitehr goes above the body or near the hand but still in.

Not sure if this has been covered, but I've just finished my first season with Spurs second in the Premiership and losing in the FA Cup Final.

I was expecting a large sum of money for my final position in the table and I got nowt. Whats that all about?

So in the second season transfer window I had exactly the same amount of money I finished with the end of last season. How are you supposed to upgrade your squad with no competition winnings?

The only saving grace is that I've got an improved sponsor, so I get around £600,000 profit per match. But still, no competition winnings? Rubbish!

I was expecting a large sum of money for my final position in the table and I got nowt. Whats that all about?

So in the second season transfer window I had exactly the same amount of money I finished with the end of last season. How are you supposed to upgrade your squad with no competition winnings?

The only saving grace is that I've got an improved sponsor, so I get around £600,000 profit per match. But still, no competition winnings? Rubbish!

Yeah same in 07 current gen, no season ticket money, no TV rights money, way to make some money is to sign some star players on bosmans then instantly transfer list them, you can usually get rid of them right away and get a few million in the kitty (even modest rated players like 70-80 can get you a couple of million).

Prof, i have negotiations on 7 currently...

A few more results for Le Havre (HAC)

HAC - Lille 1-2
Olympique Lyon - HAC 2-3
(most onjoyable match until now scored the winner in extra time)
HAC-PSG 1-0

Coupe de la Ligue:

Sedan - HAC 2-1

Ligue 1:

HAC - Auxerre 1-1

Currently 5th...
I need good forwards...

It would be nice to have a bit more input from the Board over Transfers, rather than just giving you the 3-4 goes every few games during the Tranny window, It would add to the realism if every now and again, the Board would come out with things like sorry no funds are to be made available for Transfers until January etc... Then swipe three quarters of the cash you had made, or objected to the player you were trying to sign, or try to force you to sign their choice.
I know everybody harps on it's all about game play and I just play online every-second of my life so have no need of such things, but the off field side if done well can add sooo much to a game...

For anyone wondering, no there is absolutely zero point sending out your young prospects on loan, I let 12 of my players spend the season on loan at other clubs, only 2 of those 12 actually played a match (both played 2 matches each), when the players returned not one of their stats had improved and they had 0 experience points available, you're better off keeping them at your club, even if you don't play them they get experience points every match......

Last edited:
Well it's not a huge surprise, manager mode is rudimentary and was just a case of copy and pasting what they could from 07's manager mode, none of the problems from that were fixed and no extra depth was added in, hence we don't see the AI teams buying players that make sense, loaning out young players is pointless, board is unrealistic (I just got promoted to the prem and they expect me to finish in the top 3 despite having no money to spend and an average at best squad).....

It gets me that these guys do nothing but make football titles all year and still get the basics wrong, yet a bunch of nutters who come onto a Forum and bleat on about a product they splash their hard earned currency on (unless you're of the downloading kind), can pick it apart, bug test it, point out what was needed, edit all the correct teams, kits, lineups in a matter of weeks. Why the hell don't EA and KONAMI just have this site running on a big 106" screen in their development office 24-7, job done...

EA know what we think they should be fixing/including but they don't care as they think they know best. Konami don't care to know about what we think they should be fixing/including because they have their own plans which include old men on benches and babies in the crowd........

Well it's not a huge surprise, manager mode is rudimentary and was just a case of copy and pasting what they could from 07's manager mode, none of the problems from that were fixed and no extra depth was added in, hence we don't see the AI teams buying players that make sense, loaning out young players is pointless, board is unrealistic (I just got promoted to the prem and they expect me to finish in the top 3 despite having no money to spend and an average at best squad).....

damn!
i loaned out my 8 top prospects!!:(

Maybe by some weird quirk they'll actually improve or gain experience points, but I kept an eye on my loanees and nothing at all improved, one of the guys even played against me (young forward on loan to Plymouth).

Maybe by some weird quirk they'll actually improve or gain experience points, but I kept an eye on my loanees and nothing at all improved, one of the guys even played against me (young forward on loan to Plymouth).

ill take a look..ill start a new manager mode anyway.. i just finnished buying every oficial boot..so now its time to edit than restart my manager mode for real...
i wish the apperance edits had effect in saved games like in PES.

brunnoce you boot people amaze me, does it really get to you if people have the wrong boots on.... I'm not having a go, I'm honestly interested, it's the same with the people who come on and point out the collar is rounded at the edge and not square, or this guy wears two wristbands etc.
Also how do you know who has what boot, do you keep a spread sheet... :shock:

brunnoce you boot people amaze me, does it really get to you if people have the wrong boots on.... I'm not having a go, I'm honestly interested, it's the same with the people who come on and point out the collar is rounded at the edge and not square, or this guy wears two wristbands etc.
Also how do you know who has what boot, do you keep a spread sheet... :shock:

:lmao: This has always baffled me to be honest. Players like Ronaldo, Beckham and co. change the colour and style of their boots nearly every game!

I hope my loan players do improve, otherwise whats the point in having it, it would be nice to have the "can't play against us" option or the ability to call them back if needed.
In my second season and sold my reserve keeper for peanuts as his one and only start was a stinker, he let in two and scored an own goal by kicking the ball against the post while clearing a back header!! :roll:
It was just at the beginning of the TF window so I assumed I could pick up a decent second keeper, but no one would sign? I have signed quite a few players in the last two seasons but no keeper would come, I got the usual comments like your offer lacked commitment etc, then offered more cash bu without success, so I'm now playing the rest of the season with one keeper!

Shortly after we went out in 4th round of FA cup to Newcastle Utd, played 89 Min's leading one nil after a deflected shot looped over their keeper and went in off the post, held on playing a 4-5-1, grind out a result tactic, they hit the post twice, my keeper was man of the match with eight fantastic saves, then in what must have been the 94th min (+ 4mins extra time) they got a free kick just inside my half, hoofed the ball into the mixer, my keeper came and could only watch as their striker beat my defender to send a looping header into an empty net.... gutted. Needles to say my tired 2nd division players could not hold out for pens and we conceded early in the second half of extra time... Sooo close to beating a top Prem' team, with nothing but hard work and a few choice tackles, because I can do jack all skills etc...:(

Back
Top Bottom