FIFA 08 Manager Mode Adventure Thread

manager mode has really lost my interest. the AI is not very good on the cpu. And it seems i just pass around the 18 for long periods of time, trying to crack the back four, there never seems to be any kind of counter attacking. At first i was fucking loving it, but after playing with multiple teams on various skill levels, it just all seems the same...

Yep true, but would you rather be playing Master League on 6* winning every trophy and playing against the same 12 teams all the time in the cups? I certainly wouldn't :)

I would actually rather play the master league funnily enough, it may not be set up as 'realistic' but its fun, and the 16 teams, they actually feel different to play.

But... im hopefully gonna complete this season within today or tomorrow and see how it goes.

IMO there's nothing fun about winning everything every season on 6* and playing the same few teams all the time.

Well from my memories of the master league no team played particularly different at all and were beatable on 6* by using the exact same tactics every single time, pass, pass, 1-2, shoot, goal, pass, pass, pass, goal, pass, pass, cross, goal, really no ebb and flow compared to Fifa, I like how in Fifa I can have control for 10-20 mins then the other team slowly get into the game and push me further and further back.......

It so annoys me that EA have screwed up on details in the leagues they have paid so much money to replicate, It makes no sense. Most of these things would not take much to replicate accurately, how the hell can they screw these up, have they no one there who actually knows about football? I presume it's still produced in Canada? Maybe that's why...

I'd send a list of things to change if i thought for one minute they would take a blind bit of notice...

IMO there's nothing fun about winning everything every season on 6* and playing the same few teams all the time.

Well from my memories of the master league no team played particularly different at all and were beatable on 6* by using the exact same tactics every single time, pass, pass, 1-2, shoot, goal, pass, pass, pass, goal, pass, pass, cross, goal, really no ebb and flow compared to Fifa, I like how in Fifa I can have control for 10-20 mins then the other team slowly get into the game and push me further and further back.......

So far I have won the league cup, on the way to win the championship and probably gonna win the FA Cup too, and thats from playing the game straight away, only practice was four games on legendary to get the achievement when I first got the game.

If I remember the teams were different, the poorer teams were poor, and the better teams were definately better, I dont need to go in more detail, as at the moment I feel thats more than what fifa has offered in the manager mode, as I played sheffield and then man u, both exactly the same... :( I think I might win the league by game 38 or something.

Nick I agree, theres so much crap, look at the online leagues, you cant have 2 games only odd amount, what the hell were they thinking, the leagues are crap in my opinion, I was expecting it to have a proper league structure with like the pts, wins, losses, draws the way people were going on.

Last edited:
Here is my latest update before I play my next couple of games.

Southampton FC - 1st

Manager Prestige 5/10
Job Security 100/100
Fan Apprecitation 100/100
Team Chemistry 73/100

Sheffield Wednesday 0 - 2 Saints
Blackpool 1 - 3 Saints (F.A Cup Round 4)
Saints 1 - 0 Manchester United (League Cup Final)
Saints 2 - 0 Norwich
Bristol 0 - 2 Saints
Sheffield United 1 - 1 Saints (Saints win on penalties, they put one wide, F.A Cup Round 5)
Watford 0 - 1 Saints
Preston North End 0 - 2 Saints
Manchester United 1 - 2 Saints (F.A Cup Quater Final) 1-0 down in first half nice comeback :D

Next games are: Blackpool (home), Barnsley (home), Leciester (away) and Watford (home F.A cup semi final)

My league table is as follows:
Home - Pld 16 W 12 D 4 L 0 F 28 A 6
Away - Pld 18 W 13 D 5 L 0 F 30 A 4
Overall - Pld 34 W 25 D 9 L 0 F 58 A 10 GD +48 Pts 84

Watford are second with 71pts and played 37 so I got 3 games in hand aswell, 3rd are Sheffield United with 63pts and played 37 4th are Stoke City with 58 pts and 35 games, 5th are Leciester with 54 pts played 37 and 6th are West Brom with 54 pts aswell and played 36.

Saints are league cup winners beating the mighty Man U, and knocked them out the FA cup aswell, wooop! Got my loyalty bonus from my spnsor who are Gallindo Galleria, for loyalty had to get to semi final of a domestic cup done that twice now haha, and no extr bonuses, but I got one of the two bonuses already by win a domestic cup, the other is become league champion which I should get aswell.

I started on World Class for the first 10 or so games, and then went to Proffesional, and thats what it has been since then.

I changed because I found the computer and my players were annoying, as it was like the computer were better but becase they all gained a boost in strength, they played similar. Hard to explain, next season I will go back to World Class, or go straight to Legendary, I dunno at the moment.

Last edited:
SION TAKE SWISS TITLE

Sion-Fans.jpg

FC Sion were yesterday officially crowned AXPO Super League champions after a thrilling victory in Basel. In what was the penultimate league game of the season, Sion had to beat FC Basel to take the title. An unexpected 4-0 thrashing by the visitors wrote off any title hopes that Basel may have harboured, as Professor Nutmeg claimed silverware in his first season in charge.
FC Sion are now looking forward to the preliminary qualifying stages of the UEFA Champions League, as they look to make their mark in Europe, this coming season.

Southampton FC - 1st

Manager Prestige 6/10
Job Security 100/100
Fan Apprecitation 100/100
Team Chemistry 73/100

Saints 2 - 0 Blackpool
Saints 3 - 0 Barnsely
Leciester 1 - 5 Saints
Saints 1 - 0 Watford (F.A Cup Semi Final)
Saints 1 - 0 Colchester
Ipswich 4 - 1 Saints
Scunthorpe 3 - 1 Saints
Saints 1 - 0 Wolves
Saints 1 - 0 Hull City
Chalrton 1 - 2 Saints
Plymouth 1 - 1 Saints
Saints 1 - 0 QPR
Saints 1 - 0 Cardiff

Last game of the season is the F.A Cup Final vs Tottenham apparently home, so should be good :D

My league table is as follows:
Home - Pld 23 W 19 D 4 L 0 F 38 A 6
Away - Pld 23 W 17 D 6 L 0 F 45 A 9
Overall - Pld 46 W 36 D 10 L 0 F 83 A 15 GD +68 Pts 118

Watford came second with a measley 87 pts lol

manager mode is begining to piss me off now. iw as playing on pro level and i had soo many chances including a one on one and either miss or the goalie makes a super save. i then concede the most softest penalty i have EVER seen in the 89th min againts evfertoon and managed to lose that game :@

i was a normal tackle and i clearly won the ball yet the cpu awarded itself a penalty. people say the cpu in pes cheats well in fifa they cheat more. its soo redicolous i may give up on manager mode and just play on live.

one question. how the hell do you buy players from abroad? do i have to use teh scouts all teh time? why cant i scout myself by selecting say umm barca and making a bid for ronaldinho to come to arsenal?

Err just search for him in the transfer section by pressing Y? You can search for a specific player by name or search for all 70+ rated 20-23 year old left midfielders for example......

Wooop won the cup easily 3-0 to my surprise, they were easier than bloody plymouth haha.

But then to my surprise the rest just went to crappiness. Only 2 teams promoted no play offs, no 3rd team go up, I made it into europe aswell with 2nd 3rd and 4th in the Champ, why? EFA I think it was, and there was the ECC with Arsenal, Man U, Liverpool and Chelsea, I think its europe as I have AZ to play, my first game is Arsenal in the community shield cup.

Also no winning bonus like some had said, only got money for the cup, a stupid goal of winning the league aswell for me just getting promoted expectations are surely tooo high! There was more but it has slipped my mind.

Its actually pretty crap tbh, dunno if I can be bothered to carry on, if I do, I will put it up to world class or legendary and watch the computer get stronger and faster randomly.

So i've started my second season as champions, but i lost the opener 2-1 at home to FC Basel.

Made my first signing! As i'm not a rich club, i thought i'd look to the Brazilian league for a cheap import. I signed Carlos Alberto from Botafogo for £465,000 on a four year deal. He's a 21 year old forward who's a "speed dribbler" and "likes to drift out to the left" according to his traits. Looking forward to giving him a run out.

I also fixed the team bus, which was smelling of old socks, apparently. It made the players happy and team morale went up :)

How can you not be a rich club, it's way too easy to make cash, the teams all play the same, it's the same squads all season, even when they have no energy they still play the same, the ref's make no sense, hack from behind round his neck, nothing.. walk the ball away.. foul yellow card. Half star team players can hold the ball and run rings round three or four players all trying to tackle, so you end up with four guys going round in a tight little group.. God I hate the Konami scripts but I know for sure the things I'm finding with this will grate more.. plus the pads more expensive but easier to bounce off the screen.

Parts of this game I love, but..

When they go round in circles don't commit 4 men, easy. Its because you are pressuring them that they do it.

It used to piss me off but I've got used to it, I'm so much better at defending now, and I've slipped out of the schoolboy defending that is so effective in PES.

@prof

Did you sell a few players with BO? :D

How can you not be a rich club,

I've been spending cash on upgrades (staff etc). I had just over £3 million by the end of the first season (the most i've had). It seems player wages are about ten grand more than ticket sales, but i've signed a better sponsorship deal this time.

It wouldn't be right to have loads of cash though, as FC Sion aren't exactly a European giant.

I'm playing with Notts County, and I picked the lowest sponsor price I could too, I still finished the season with nearly 4 million and raised most options on staff to 6 or so.
I also brought in 8 players and 1 of those through the scout, which you just say yes or no to, you can't negotiate wage or any details as I found out, I said yes to a guy who was on £15000 a game thinking I was just saying yes to negotiate, the rest of my team are on less than a £1000 a game, some at £150 a game. Once again ill thought out and would have taken no time to implement properly...

A bit of an anti-climax in my manager mode...
Second season with Le Havre and i'm top of the table.
After 20 matches (with one match less...) i have a 3 points advance on L'OM...
Marseille seemed on their way to break all records...when they played against Le Havre (then 4th) they had only lost one point. Le Havre won that match 2-0 and since then Marseille have lost all their matches...Le Havre are on a winning streak and are first now...
Imagine that IRL a promoted side who is top of the table (OGC Nice and Chievo managed to do it not so long ago, but in the end they broke down...).
Suddenly my forwards started scoring goal after goal...with an absolute climax in Toulouse: 0-8 (i'm playing of professional, started the manager mode at a the lower difficulty, but when leading last year i notched it up). I scored a goal after less than one minute and virtually every shot turned out to be a goal...this only happens once i guess...
Next match was one of the most difficult: against Lens. They took the lead but in the second half i managed to score two goals...

I was going to say notch it up a difficulty Gerd, but it seems you did. The most i have scored is 4 goals, but most games i find it trickier because the keepers are pretty good.

Ever hit the crossbar twice in one shot? I did, a few games back. I cracked one against the crossbar, it hit the underside of the bar, bounced down on the line, bounced back up to hit the underside of the cross bar again and then bounced slightly away from the line. It was a heart-stopping moment.
Before that, i hit both posts. I shot past the keeper on the inside, he managed to tap it onto the near post. It then flew along the line to hit the other post and back out. Lol. You can get some good goalmouth action and score in many different ways, which was virtually impossible in earlier Fifas.

Last edited:
Just completed the double over Barcelona in La Liga to jump above them into 2nd place \\:o/. Athletico knocked me out of Copa Del Rey the game before though at the semi-final stage!. :(

Prof, 0-8 was a big exception for me too...it was one of those matches were every shot turned out to be a goal...
I had the impression (but how much of this is wishful thinking???) that after being 0-4 down Toulouse did not bother anymore...they made quite a few horrendous mistakes afterwards...if this is the AI and not my imagination, then it is really good...but i don't trust my own judgement to be sure of that...

Well I started a new manager mode at Derby and I've been fired after I believe 6 mathes. I lost the Yeovil Town in the league Cup. Man I must suck. I took them for granted and relaxed. They beat me 2-0.

Well I have 1 premiership match left at home to Spurs and no matter what I'm getting relegated, I'm so happy, what a weirdo I am!

Owls & Southampton are going straight back down and taking Derby with them :)

Back
Top Bottom