Englands next manager?

steevio_uk

Premiership
7 October 2003
West Ham
Let's face it, the clown should be leaving.
Perhaps when there are a few names banded about, a poll can be set up mods?

But for now, I ask quite simply:

a) Who do you think should be the next England manager?

b) Who do you think will be the next England manager?

Fabio Capello. He admitted today on tv that he would love the challenge of managing England. He can be a hard ass, so he might be the right guy to get England back up. He also has very strong tactical knowledge and experience. In his last 2 jobs he won the league, both in different countries.

I don't think England will ever be successful with an English coach...Mourinho for example could settle things for England but like i've said i dont think that will happen, a foreign coach i think suits England since i dont think they ever had a foreign coach???

Last edited:
For me, the 6 names that stand out are:

Jose Mourinho
- Though I don't think he will be offered it or take it (See Brian Clough). Probably has eye on Portugal job or other top Euro club anyway.

Arsene Wenger
- He won't leave Arsenal, not now... we missed our chance.

Marcelo Lippi
- My first choice.... cannot see anything to criticise him.

Fabio Capello
- Very possible, though many may be against his defensive style of football. But he's won pretty much everything.

Phil Scolari
- Won't leave the Portugal job after getting them to the finals so he may be a possibility after the finals if they do not succeed, especially if the Portuguese FA line Jose up as his replacement.

Guus Hiddink
- Russia job is main focus, though like Scolari, he may be a possibility after the finals?

I cannot really think of any other names I'd be overly satisfied with.
If they have to go for a smaller name, then perhaps Stuttgart manager, Armin Veh or maybe Martin Jol may get a mention.

I think whoever takes it up has to be a brave man. If he is foreign he will always be questioned when results go wrong that he is not a "British" manager and perhaps he does not understand the way England should play

They will have the chance to get into the final of a major championship with the players at their mercy...No doubt but it is also a poison chalice

the way England should play

I know this isn't your point so this isn't against you mate.

But that is the whole frustrating point about it all!
There is no 'England way'.. it's a load of old bollocks.
It's the same when club teams appoint new managers:

"We want a West Ham man, we want a Spurs man, we want a Birmingham man"
There is only the man that is right for the job, regardless of fuck all else!

(Again, sorry as I'm not having a pop at you :lol:)

steevio, there IS an England way

example

Sol Campbell: Oi, Carson, give it here!
Micah Richards: Oi, Sol, over here!
Sol Campbell: Micah, One-Two
Micah Rickets: Sol, Three-Four!
Peter Crouch: F**KING HOOF IT!
Peter Crouch: Oi, anyone?.....who wants it?
Frank Lampard: Oi, Vendor, gimme that f**king burger!

I understand mate dont worry. but you know you will have the Graham Taylors and Peter Taylors, Peter Reids etc going on about how badly England played in a perticular game and they discuss how THEY are not use to seeing England perform like that,Fact is they were shit managers who also had the press decide their fate not the FA and i think that will be the case with the new man.

Bookies will give odds on a list, one paper will pick their choice and the FA will crumble due to a national wave that wants that man.

You could have had Sam Allerdyce thou

Bookies will give odds on a list, one paper will pick their choice and the FA will crumble due to a national wave that wants that man.

Disagree with that mate.

Hardly anyone wanted McClaren.

I imagine most would want Mourinho, but the FA are scared of him and want a 'yes' man.

(Good point by the way Matherto.... Mike Bassett... AVE IT!! :lol: )

KLINSMANN!!!
1150384459940l.jpg

:)

I'd go with Capello, Mourinho won't coach any other NT then Portugal (as he said in his interviews), Hiddink's with Russia till WC 2010, Lippi is a good choice, but personally I think Capello is a better manager, Scolari may be available after Euro, but once again, Capello is a better one for me. But knowing FA it's gonna be Paul Jewel.

Should be: Mourinho

Will Be: Stuart Pearce:lmao:

I would consider any of the below as good choice's

Capello
Lippi
Martin O'Neill
Klinsmann

Disagree with that mate.

Hardly anyone wanted McClaren.
I will never forget the news shows saying "the FA have narrowed it down to Scolari, Allardyce and McClaren". All the polls across all the papers and news shows that I saw for the next week said Scolari 1st, Allardyce 2nd, McClaren 3rd. And they went with McClaren.

I've never been one to jump on a manager's back, I didn't want Venables to go and I didn't want Eriksson to go (apparently, and this is off some BBC program so don't quote me if it's wrong, he was England's most successful manager after Alf Ramsay). In-fact I can't ever remember wanting a manager to go, even when Tranmere were struggling a bit with Brian Little I thought he should be given a chance. But the fact that McClaren has never won anything (although neither has Allardyce), the fact that he was only an assistant manager up until not long ago, and the fact that the country DID NOT WANT HIM to be the manager, means I've been desperate to see the back of him from day one.

But my dad said before, and I'm pained to say he has a point... If they sack him, who do they replace him with? Alan Shearer was mentioned as a potential target in one of the tabloids earlier in the week, which is just laughable. I'm sure he could motivate but he's never been a manager before in his life. I'm sure he wouldn't accept it but if it's true that the FA were looking at him then really, let's take a year out of everything, sort the FA out first, and then look for a new manager. Fucks sake.

To answer the original question; my personal opinion on who the next England manager should be... ANYONE who has actually WON SOMETHING in their management career. PLEASE. Otherwise DON'T BOTHER.

(I'd love to see Mourinho in the job but I don't think he would even consider it, he knows we're not good enough)

There's no good managers available at the moment so I would say to the FA, hang on a bit. There's no qualifiers now until 2009, is there? So wait for a good manager to come out of their job, a Ferguson or a Wenger might have resigned by then, and THEN appoint someone. Who cares about the friendlies, Brian Barwick could manage those and nobody would give a toss.

If they appoint someone next week or next month it's only going to be someone like Sam Allardyce or Paul Jewell, God help us.

EDIT: IAN HOLLOWAY HAS JUST RESIGNED, quick, grab him to be the England manager before he signs for Leicester! :lmao:

Last edited:
Fabio Capello. He admitted today on tv that he would love the challenge of managing England. He can be a hard ass, so he might be the right guy to get England back up. He also has very strong tactical knowledge and experience. In his last 2 jobs he won the league, both in different countries.

sorry Stefano, but i got to correct u. he didn't say he would love the challenge. he just said it would be a hell of a challenge. ;)
btw guys u should write off the list capello and lippi.
lippi's english is awful and he doesn't seem intersted in improving it, if u know what i mean.

capello is probably one of the greatest (and most winning) coaches of the last 30 years..... but we're talking about club football..... coaching a national team is completely different. it requires different abilities.... abilities that capello doesn't have, imo (don't u think, Milanista? :))
actually i'd say that his attitude wouldn't ever allow him to do a good job for any national team, but that's just my opinion.:)

Rentalkid said:
Yeah but he'd probably slaughter half of the squad after the first loss and eat the rest.
:lol:

Last edited:
I will never forget the news shows saying "the FA have narrowed it down to Scolari, Allardyce and McClaren". All the polls across all the papers and news shows that I saw for the next week said Scolari 1st, Allardyce 2nd, McClaren 3rd. And they went with McClaren.

I've never been one to jump on a manager's back, I didn't want Venables to go and I didn't want Eriksson to go (apparently, and this is off some BBC program so don't quote me if it's wrong, he was England's most successful manager after Alf Ramsay). In-fact I can't ever remember wanting a manager to go, even when Tranmere were struggling a bit with Brian Little I thought he should be given a chance. But the fact that McClaren has never won anything (although neither has Allardyce), the fact that he was only an assistant manager up until not long ago, and the fact that the country DID NOT WANT HIM to be the manager, means I've been desperate to see the back of him from day one.

But my dad said before, and I'm pained to say he has a point... If they sack him, who do they replace him with? Alan Shearer was mentioned as a potential target in one of the tabloids earlier in the week, which is just laughable. I'm sure he could motivate but he's never been a manager before in his life. I'm sure he wouldn't accept it but if it's true that the FA were looking at him then really, let's take a year out of everything, sort the FA out first, and then look for a new manager. Fucks sake.

To answer the original question; my personal opinion on who the next England manager should be... ANYONE who has actually WON SOMETHING in their management career. PLEASE. Otherwise DON'T BOTHER.

(I'd love to see Mourinho in the job but I don't think he would even consider it, he knows we're not good enough)

There's no good managers available at the moment so I would say to the FA, hang on a bit. There's no qualifiers now until 2009, is there? So wait for a good manager to come out of their job, a Ferguson or a Wenger might have resigned by then, and THEN appoint someone. Who cares about the friendlies, Brian Barwick could manage those and nobody would give a toss.

If they appoint someone next week or next month it's only going to be someone like Sam Allardyce or Paul Jewell, God help us.

EDIT: IAN HOLLOWAY HAS JUST RESIGNED, quick, grab him to be the England manager before he signs for Leicester! :lmao:

Klinnsman, Donadoni and Bilic didn't have any experience before they got the NT job did they? I don't remember them being at clubs anyway.

I'd go for Martin O'Neill as manager. Mourinho would be nice but can't see him getting it.

I think Pearce will get the job though.

Klinnsman, Donadoni and Bilic didn't have any experience before they got the NT job did they? I don't remember them being at clubs anyway.

Donadoni did a great job at livorno and atalanta before coaching Italy.:)

I am deadly serious when I say I want Sir Alex Ferguson as the next England manager, he could practise his hair dryer treatment a bit more often if he was!

I feel he would get the best out of the players that we have. He's not likely to leave Utd though so we will probably get Stuart Pearce which to my mind would be an absolute disaster on a permanent basis.

I think we should appoint a caretaker until after the Euro finals and then see who is available and more importantly, who is up for it. Cos quite frankly you are on a hiding to nothing in the job and I can't imagine anyone actually wanting to take it.

:)
who chooses the english NT coach anyway? is ther an FA board or a president or something else?

The FA board. They should really do a vote of sorts and ask the public. It's our country, our national team. Let US have a say in it all. Nobody wanted Mclaren, only the FA, and look what happened there. I'm sure millions of fans are more knowledgable than a bunch of muppets just in it for the money working at the FA.

The FA board. They should really do a vote of sorts and ask the public. It's our country, our national team. Let US have a say in it all. Nobody wanted Mclaren, only the FA, and look what happened there. I'm sure millions of fans are more knowledgable than a bunch of muppets just in it for the money working at the FA.

i see :)
thanks for the info, mate ;)

Back
Top Bottom