Englands next manager?

It should be a rule that applies to every country, I would support that 100%.

But it's not so, WOOHOO!

I want to say "well done to the FA for picking the best possible manager", but I still don't forgive them for picking the worst possible manager from a shortlist of three when McClaren was appointed. Euro 2008 is going to be hard to watch.

Sven, in England, was an unknown. Steve was the manager nobody wanted, with nowhere near enough experience. This guy is someone we know, we want, and has won several things in several countries. It's a bit of a weird situation for an England fan.

Its kinda like when your team signs a very high profile player. All eyes are gonna be on that person during the first few games. I think Capello's gonna get a lot more attention than he thinks.

With NT teams you get very little time to create a good team. Capello has proven that he doesn't need much time, he made winning teams in his first year everywhere he went.
England 2010 world champions or thereabouts, in the end England might fall short in the quality department.

I don't think Capello is the right coach for England to be honest. I'm gonna say something highly controversial but i don't rate him very high as a coach...(but who am i, after all he has been successfull, but to me his success was always short term success). OI think with Capello the best England can hope for is a fantastic qualification round for the 2010WC and then a very lousy tournament.
Capello has a few of Svenn's negative point: 1-0 and he lets his team play defensive...English players can't play a result...they need to play with heart and soul...that's why in the end Mourinho was not as successfull as expected with Chelsea.
I think England need a coach like Lippi or Martin O' Neil...but more Lippi.

Capello will be grooming some future English managers.

Fact of the matter is English coaches aren't good enough IMO. He's defo in the top ten managers around.

I agree Peter. I don't understand the people who think he should be English?! Why? Harry Redknapp? No thanks. We would be going backwards. Capello has won it all - I would be very happy with him as England manager.

I don't think Capello is the right coach for England to be honest. I'm gonna say something highly controversial but i don't rate him very high as a coach...(but who am i, after all he has been successfull, but to me his success was always short term success). OI think with Capello the best England can hope for is a fantastic qualification round for the 2010WC and then a very lousy tournament.
Capello has a few of Svenn's negative point: 1-0 and he lets his team play defensive...English players can't play a result...they need to play with heart and soul...that's why in the end Mourinho was not as successfull as expected with Chelsea.
I think England need a coach like Lippi or Martin O' Neil...but more Lippi.

:shock: If its not succesful to win the title for the club in 50 years back to back and then 2 cups aswell, then i dont know what success is....ow wait...Fergie comes to mind;)

I think Abramovich wanted to win the Champions League...for a guy like Abramovich, two titles are not enough...although nothing comes close to winning the title...in the end the best always wins...you can win CL's with a litle bit of luck...

Capello set to announce provisional 30-man squad for the first time.

Lennon misses out after being named in the U-21s
Agbonlahor left out of U-21s suggesting a full call-up.

Not up to full fitness, nothing to write home about really.

He'll get his 100th cap I reckon...

England Squad:

David James

Scott Carson

Chris Kirkland

Wayne Bridge

Ashley Cole

Curtis Davies

Rio Ferdinand

Glen Johnson

Ledley King

Nicky Shorey

Wes Brown

Joleon Lescott

Micah Richards

Matthew Upson

Jonathan Woodgate

Michael Carrick

Steven Gerrard

Gareth Barry

Jermaine Jenas

Owen Hargreaves

Joe Cole

Ashley Young

Stewart Downing

Shaun Wright-Phillips

David Bentley

Emile Heskey

Gabriel Agbonlahor

Michael Owen

Wayne Rooney

Peter Crouch

What the hell does Green have to do?!!

Last edited:
Does anybody want a new captain or are ppl happy with Terry? I think Rio is by far our best defender. Enough of Terry setting his example by smashing his face into oppositions studs. He's a bit of an oath, with no pace or much intelligence in my opinion

I dont see Ferdinand as the ideal captain either. If Gerard starts, I'd say give it to him. I also get the impression that Terry is a better leader than most players, he may not be the best on the pitch but he seems like hes got a solid personality.

yeah agree with you @Milanesta but i think Gerard would be a good choice too,he seems to have a "cleaner image" than Terry

I fucking hate John Terry, but there's no doubt he's a good captain. His whole game is all about intimidation in my eyes, both to teammates and opposition, and this helps him to get the other players going.

If Capello doesn't choose JT, then I think Rio could be worth a shout, or if not Gerrard. Gerrard is just too quiet though in my eyes, and he needs to lead by example, but his patchy form (especially for England) isn't up to that.

so what will be the lineup?do you think he will stick with the old attack Owen rooney?i would have loved to see a partnership between Rooney and Agbonlahor but he got an injury against Fulham .
Capello is a man of the 442,isn't he?

I think we should give Owen a chance, he's not at his best..in fact probably long past it but somehow he does the business for England. I've always liked Owen, a very honest player and he's always a threat, tap ins or whatever

I am happy with Terry as captain personally - he is captain for his club and has been there and won it (with the exception of a European Cup) and doesn't take any shit. He can give other players who aren't playing well shit too, doesn't matter who they are. We have the perfect balance when it comes to our two centre backs; Rio can play a bit and Terry is hardworking and very physical.

Terry is a thug and shouldn't be captain for England, though I think he does the job well for Chelsea.

Gerrard as a captain will bring the best out of him so I think it should go to him.

Doesn't Capello like to play a modified 4-4-2 like a 4-2-3-1 formation?

I would like to see something like the following:

---------------Rooney

---------------Gerrard
--Young------------------------ Cole

---------Hargreaves Barry

-Cole --Ferdinand --Upson --Richards

---------------James

Terry is a thug and shouldn't be captain for England, though I think he does the job well for Chelsea.

Gerrard as a captain will bring the best out of him so I think it should go to him.

---------------Rooney

---------------Gerrard

---------------James

:lmao: Thought you'd sneak him in ;) Terry and Rio and both untouchable at CB with Woodgate,Lescott being good cover

I'm obviously talking about tomorrow's game and Terry is injured.

Out of Upson, Woodgate and Lescott, who has been performing so well in the best defence outside of Man Utd, Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea? ;)

I am not biased with West Ham players, but tonight Upson deserves the chance and Green should have definitely been in the squad.

---------------Rooney

---------------Gerrard

---------------James

Good formation ,i think they'd play well like that

But i'd play like that

--------------------Rooney

Young------------------SCHOLES:)----------J.Cole

----------------Hargreaves---Gerrard

Cole--------Terry----Ferdinand--------Ridchards

-------------------James

Capello needs To bring back SCHOLES!He retired from International Football and does not want to play anymore for England??So do it like Domenech Did it with Makelele when he wanted to retire,pick him anyway and if he doesn't want to come he will get 2 matchs Bans for his club

Remember this is from the squad for tonight's game, so no Terry or Scholes! :lol:

(Though I would love to see Scholes back, but his great form for Man Utd is mainly because he hasn't had the extra worry of the national team and extra games)

Gerrard will not be good playing just behind the striker. He always likes to run with the ball from deep. I think Capello will go with a target man, and Rooney playing just off him, in a 4-4-2.

Back
Top Bottom