Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I download all the movies I ever need

Votes: 5 27.8%
  • TV supplier and On Demand movies do me

Votes: 1 5.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Re: Blu Ray/HD-DVD war

I too have loads of X264 rips that i play back on my PS3 although i have to recode them back to H264 using MPEG2 or MPEG4's AVC only thing is MPEG2 needs more bitrate to keep the quality so a 5gig rip can be 8 gig after recoding but only takes an hour and half for great results however using AVC takes me 16 hours to do a 2 pass so i'm not going down that road.

How do I convert videos to a PS3 friendly format but with a high bitrate? I have a few programs but when I try to convert some 1080p mov files, the quality is really crap. I tried converting a trailer of 300 which was originally about 200mb and the one that I converted was about 50mb.

RuneEdge, sorry I can't say, dont have a PS3.... yet.

spaceman, you playing via Linux or direct from PS3, and what other video codecs/containers does it support?

RuneEdge, sorry I can't say, dont have a PS3.... yet.

spaceman, you playing via Linux or direct from PS3, and what other video codecs/containers does it support?

Nope not using Linux at the moment cos all reports are that HD sux at the moment with Linux, but should improve with time. As for PS3 codec support well mixed bag really although MPEG2 - PS works really well as does AVC (MPEG4) although i can't get none AVC encoded MPEG4 to play and i can't get a X264 Matroska file to play by just changing the container, hence why i'm encoding.

How do I convert videos to a PS3 friendly format but with a high bitrate? I have a few programs but when I try to convert some 1080p mov files, the quality is really crap. I tried converting a trailer of 300 which was originally about 200mb and the one that I converted was about 50mb.

I'm using PS3 Video 9 http://www.redkawa.com/videoconverters/ps3video9/

Which is really easy to use but for best results it's still trial and error i was using the AVC profile which is a rival for M$ VC1/WMV9 codec but takes many hours unless u got a dual core PC, So i have been using MPEG2 which is old now like DVD's but takes far less time but with larger file size to maintain the quality. The big downside is i have not found an easy solution for 5.1 sound..

Largest HD-DVD studio, Universal, going neutral

German IT website, Heise Online is now stating that during a press conference, representatives from Pioneer announced that Universal will break their exclusivity agreement with HD DVD. This would allow Universal, the only large studio exclusively supporting HD DVD, to freely distribute their movies on Blu-ray. It is important to note that this announcement has not yet been confirmed by Universal.There's been countless rumours speculating that Universal was receiving monetary compensation for being an exclusive HD DVD studio. With this announcement it would seem that they have decided to forgo the compensation in order to release titles on Blu-ray. I think most would agree that this move would effectively end the war, and no matter what side you support, a single HD format is the best solution in the long run.

http://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/89498

yeah i just read that information ThomasGOAL, here is some more Blu-Ray news.

IF THIS IS TRUE THEN THE WAR IS OVER

Remember this hasnt been confirmed but, apparently Universal are to begin producing movies on both BLURAY and HD-DVD, here is the link.

http://www.ps3fanboy.com/2007/05/09/rumor-universal-decides-to-go-blu-ray/

People would just end up buying BLURAY if that news is true and the war would just be over.

Not neccesarily. The Blu-Ray standalone players are still very expensive compared to HD-DVD ones so that will be factor. But I would think Dual-Players will be common by 2008, and then....

ahsmufc, the question most people who pay this amount of money for technology will ask is "which has better line-up"? Plus by the time most people start buying this kind of technology the prices of both would have dropped considerably. End of the day the movies decides which one you buy, as it does with video games. Same with video games, Xbox & Gamecube didnt have as much 3rd party support as the PS2 and in the end we saw what happened there, Sony sold 120 million and still selling.

http://www.engadgethd.com/2007/05/09/universal-responds-to-reports-of-going-neutral/

Universal's response to going "universal"

Wow, that didn't take very long; Craig Kornblau, the President of Universal Studios Home Entertainment tells us in an email that the rumors that Universal will support Blu-ray "are totally false". As much as we love to get the official word straight from the horses mouth, we can't help but feel like this is like the time the head coach was denying rumors of his star quarterback getting traded, right before the trade goes through.

"Consumers who are buying Playstation 3 are buying it as a game console," he said. "They're simply not buying it for watching as many high-definition movies as Sony said they would."

Anyway, no proper dual-players are out yet :(

Yes...for Canada. :lol:

USA too :lmao: (sorry in french)

HD-DVD : Toshiba revoit ses prédictions de ventes à la baisse !

Alors que les dernières nouvelles faisaient état des « meilleures ventes » de lecteurs HD-DVD jamais rencontrées aux États-Unis, voici que Toshiba revoit ses prédictions de ventes de platines à la baisse dans le secteur.

La firme indique que cette baisse prévisionnelle est due à des ventes « décevantes » aux États-Unis : « Les ventes aux EU ont été plus lentes que prévu, et nous allons avoir des prévisions de ventes en baisse pour les États-Unis » explique Toshiba.

La marque pense désormais pouvoir vendre un million de platines HD-DVD en Amérique du Nord d´ici la fin de l´année. Le chiffre baisse de 44 % par rapport à la prévision initiale de 1,8 million de platines vendues fin 2007. Une sacrée gifle pour le camp du HD-DVD.

Toshiba pense du coup qu´il faudra aussi baisser les prévisions de ventes globales de platines HD-DVD dans le monde, mais se refuse pour l´instant à lancer un chiffre. On sait juste que la marque espérait précédemment vendre trois millions de platines HD-DVD dans le monde d´ici la fin de son année fiscale en mars 2008.

Chez Toshiba, on se raccroche au dernier chiffre optimiste du camp concurrent au Blu-Ray : 60 % des platines optiques nouvelle génération vendues aux États-Unis sont destinées au HD-DVD. Seul problème, ce chiffre n´inclut pas les consoles, et la balance s´inverse dès lors que l´on compte les achats de PlayStation 3 de Sony, qui fait aussi office de lecteur Blu-Ray.

They might be lower than planned but they're still selling more players than Bluray so that article is pointless.

Does it really matter who wins the war? I personally think its all a load of tosh anyway. Ill stick to Normal DVD's until they completely disappear.

Nah, wathcing Blu-Ray/HD-DVD most of the time is sooooo much better, especially the audio.

I can't see myslef to watch non-HD films anymore :P

the biggest problem is both Blue-ray & HD DVD has so little option to rent a flick at block busters...who wants to watch JawsII in blue-ray/HDDVD I rather rent then buy

well if blockbusters are going with blue-ray ,they are the winners...damn where to get a blue-ray drive..blockbuster :lol:

The sooner its over the better........although saying that keeping the war going could help bring the prices down. Ill sit on the fence and wait for now.

Even though I have no interest in this stuff, as an average Joe consumer, it's over already and Bluray has won. I'm not going to go out and buy a special disc player, I'm happy with DVDs, but if I bought a PS3 then I would have a Bluray player built in. So if I was going to choose either it would always have to be forced upon me (i.e. bundled with something, because I would never buy it seperately), and the PS3 does force it upon you.

If the Xbox 360 could have played HD-DVD discs out of the box then it would have been a different story, but (thankfully, as it would have meant a price similar to the PS3 and then I would never have bought one) it can't.

I like JB aint too fussed about it. ill stick to normal DVD's especially as Blu Rays are so damn expensive!

Not that much more expensive ;)

And for the better quality/sound it is well worth it, especially if you have a very large screen 50"+ or a Projector :p

Is anyone winning yet?

Does HD-DVD/Blu-Ray look better than those HD movie trailers you can download from Live Marketplace? They always look a bit grainy to me.

What about the old movies that have been bought to HD/BR, I know they look really shit (blurry, blocky) on Freeview/DVD, how do they look on HD/BR?

Back
Top Bottom