• I download all the movies I ever need

Votes: 5 27.8%
  • TV supplier and On Demand movies do me

Votes: 1 5.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Re: Blu Ray/HD-DVD war

BDA Responds to Paramounts Decision

In response to Paramount's decision to exclusively support HD DVD, Andy Parsons, Chairman, Blu-ray Disc Association US Promotions Committee had this to say: "The decision seems oddly timed given Blu-ray's tremendous momentum both with consumers and with retail. Blu-ray title sales continue to outpace HD-DVD sales by nearly a 2 to 1 margin, and major retailers have expressed a strong preference for Blu-ray. Moreover, the price delta between HD DVD and Blu-ray players has been greatly reduced in the past few months, a trend that is on its way to eliminating any perceived cost advantage the HD DVD format has claimed to have. Under these circumstances, we can only imagine what could have enticed them to walk away from a format that is clearly selling significantly more software than the ailing HD-DVD format."

$$$

Fox Announces and Dates 29 Blu-ray Titles

October 2nd
The Day After Tomorrow
Master and Commander

October 9th
28 Days Later
Amittyville Horror
Edward Scissorhands
The Fly
From Hell
Robocop

November 6th
A Bridge Too Far
Battle of Britain

November 13th
I, Robot

November
Die Hard
Die Hard 2: Die Harder
Die Hard With a Vengeance

Red Dawn

December 4th
Cast Away
Independence Day
Mr. and Mrs. Smith

Ronin

Also Announced
Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer
Live Free or Die Hard
Prison Break

The ones in bold have my attention.

Where is 24 FOX?

Last edited:

Does it really matter who wins this so called War? Most of us will eventually have PS3's anyway so Blu-Ray will be the most popular... :)

Michael Bay director of Transformers: Paramount pisses me off!

Micahel Bay (director of summer smash hit Transformers) has publicly announced on his website that he is annoyed with the new Paramount HD-DVD exclusivity deal, as it means not everyone can enjoy his movie."

http://www.n4g.com/industrynews/News-60975.aspx

and i forget, but Spielberg is Transformers productor ;)

EDIT: Michael Bay boycot Transformers 2 !
http://www.shootfortheedit.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2299&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
http://www.dvdrama.com/news.php?21648

Last edited:

They were filmed in HD, maybe down the line they'll get released, I demand 24 on Blu Ray!

And so it begins Anchorman and Old School both coming on HD DVD.

](*,)

:8):

Last edited:

protectedimagephpca5.jpg

If anyone hasn't caught Heroes, do try to, its really good!

Awesome show but its gonna be upscaled DVD for me :(

Honestly, this war is driving me bonkers! I'd love to settle down with one... but can't.

The studios are making me resort to downloading the HD rips in mkv for now, the quality of those are awesome btw!

I personally dont care :) which ever one wins ill just make sure im sorted with the right device to do the job :)

I personally dont care :) which ever one wins ill just make sure im sorted with the right device to do the job :)

But some of us want to make a collection. I don't want to own 50 Blu-Rays, or 50 HD-DVDs and in 5 years time find that I can't play them (assuming they stop selling a certain formats hardware)...

I've started my process of locking down Paramount Blu Rays that I want, I ordered the Mission Impossible 1-3 box set today, next on my list are Dreamgirls, Disturbia and the awesome Manchurian Candiadate.

A list of Movies and TV shows coming from Warner in the coming months to both Blu Ray n HD DVD, the ones in bold are on my hit list.

10,000 B.C.
The Adventures of Robinhood
Appleseed Ex Machina
The Assassination of Jesse James
August Rush
The Aviator
Batman Begins
Batman Anime
The Best of HD DVD: Family
The Best of HD DVD: Action
Bonnie and Clyde
Brave One
The Bucket List
Casablanca
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
The Cincinnati Kid
Clash of the Titans
Complete Matrix Trilogy
Cool Hand Luke
Dark Knight
The Dead Pool
Dirty Harry
The Enforcer
Falling Down
The Feast of Love
Fool's Gold
Fred Claus
Friends: The Complete First Season
Get Smart
The Goonies
Grand Prix
The Green Mile
Harry Potter (All of them being sold seperate)
Heat
I Am Legend
In the Valley of Elah
The Invasion
Justice League: The Frontier
L.A. Confidential
Magnum Force Deluxe Ed
Matrix (All of them being sold seperate)
The Matrix Online Game Card
Men
Michael Clayton
Mutiny on the Bounty
Natural Born Killers
Nights in Rodanthe
No Reservations
Ocean's (All of them being sold seperate)
One Missed Call
Perfect Storm
Poltergeist
Poseidon
The Promise
Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves
Smallville: The Complete First Season
Speed Racer
Spring Breakdown
Sudden Impact
Superman Doomsday
Taking Lives
That's Entertainment
That's Entertainment 2
That's Entertainment 3
That's Entertainment Trilogy Giftset
Twister
The Ultimate Matrix Trilogy
V for Vendetta
The West Wing: The Complete Seventh Season
Whiteout
The Wizard of Oz

Friends was filmed in HD? :|

Nope.

The whole show was filmed in 4:3 and not widescreen.

Later on when widescreen became widespread, they decided not to film in widescreen as the studio wasn't suited to it, because the whole Friends is filmed in studio, and not real flats :p and so it wouldn't have worked.

Shame really, but its a great show either way. I am waiting for the 10-season box set to go dirt cheap, the E4 repeats will do me for now.

I too am waiting for the Friends complete box set to be a bit cheaper but the R1 version has a 45 minute gag reel.

Regarding Friends, it was shot on 35mm film so it potentially could give a rather good picture. Not sure about whether if it would be in 16:9 though, Scrubs is another one that is shot in 4:3.

The Spiderman 1 - 3 Blu Ray boxset is region free.

IMG_0902.jpg

Independent manufacturers now jumping into European Blu-ray waters

In what could be perceived as a small yet groundbreaking move for the Blu-ray format, disc manufacturer Infodisc just signed up as the first independent Blu-ray disc manufacturer in Europe.

While Infodisc's allegiance to Blu-ray per se isn't going to make much difference in the format wars, the fact that Blu-ray opened to the independent sector may make or break Blu-ray's potential to win.

HD-DVD may be easier and more affordable to churn out, but with small disc producers like Infodisc helping out Blu-ray, its entirely possible that production costs for Sony's flagship format will go down.

The support of small, independent disc manufacturers will most certainly make a large impact in the outcome of the format wars. Do watch this space for more updates!

http://ps3.qj.net/Independent-manuf...into-European-Blu-ray-waters/pg/49/aid/102659

Not seen the show but I'm definitely buying this, I think missing the shows on TV is actually a good thing because I get to see them for the first time in glorious high definition (Heroes, Prison Break and hopefully Lost).

All the shows you mentioned come highly recommended :thumbup:

Back
Top Bottom