Votes: 5 27.8%
  • TV supplier and On Demand movies do me

Votes: 1 5.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Re: Blu Ray/HD-DVD war

Michael Bay Feeling Blu Again
Posted October 23, 2007 by Josh

Director Michael Bay is feeling Blu once again with recent comments regarding Paramount's decision to release his blockbuster hit 'Transformers' only on rival format HD DVD. "It's short-sighted and it has delayed consumers' moving to HD," he commented. "As a director, my critical eye is that Blu-ray is where my money is. Consumers are smart, and they are going to wait it out."
Bay's on-again, off-again, on-again relationship with Blu-ray began when he posted critical comments on his website regarding Paramount's decision to go HD DVD exclusive. A few days later, he retracted those words by reiterating the same talking points used by all HD DVD supporters. But now, as Paramount is announcing huge sales of the Transformer DVD and HD DVD, Michael Bay is at it again, criticizing the decision and the format his movie was released on.

Source: USA Today | Permalink

Fox Announces Region B 2007 Line-up

Fox Home Entertainment has announced its 2007 Blu-ray line-up for the UK, meaning many titles announced for the US will also be coming to Region B countries. While specs and features should remain the same across regions, it will make some fans happy to know that Fox plan on releasing 'Sunshine' in the UK on October 29th, possibly signaling a Region A release soon.
The following is a list of upcoming Fox Blu-ray titles, which doesn't include the day-and-date releases of 'Die Hard 4' (Live Free and Die Hard) or 'Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer':

THE MARINE: OCT 29
28 WEEKS LATER: OCT 29
SUNSHINE: OCT 29
DIE HARD: NOV 12
DIE HARD 2 DIE HARDER: NOV 12
THE HILLS HAVE EYES: NOV 19
FROM HELL: NOV 19
PRISON BREAK SEASON 1: DEC 5
THE SIMPSONS MOVIE: DEC 10
EDWARD SCISSORHANDS: DEC 24
PATHFINDER: DEC 24
MASTER & COMMANDER: DEC 31
THE DAY AFTER TOMORROW: DEC 31
MR. AND MRS. SMITH: DEC 31
INDEPENDENCE DAY: DEC 31

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=615

Its about time FOX, still no 24 though.

When there is a date I hope they announce Day 5 and 6, 24 and The Incredibles are the ones that I want asap.

It depends what format really, PS3 is picky.

One way is to put it on your home server, then point to the file with your web browser, and save to your HD. And then watch it from there :)

Why doesnt Thomas post any positive articles about HD DVD?

always the same... Maybe because i have a Blu Ray player and i don't care about HDDVD no ?

Last edited:

But shouldnt you be unbiased and post news for both sides if you were gonna post in a thread like this?
This is a Bluray AND HDDVD thread, not just Bluray.

But shouldnt you be unbiased and post news for both sides if you were gonna post in a thread like this?
This is a Bluray AND HDDVD thread, not just Bluray.
In fairness, isn't that a bit like saying you should post in every football club's thread as well as Man United's?

If you like something then you're going to have something to say about it, if you don't like the other thing you're not going to go out of your way to find news about it are you?

TG is here as a poster, he's not on £20k a year to report the news to us.

lol but a bit of HD/DVD news would be nice :) perhaps some good news for a change?
Yes, you can see alot of people sell the HDDVD player + movies for very cheap (i joke)

one good one bad

1) 5 HDDVD movies free when you buy the Xbox 360 HD-DVD player

2) Warner maybe very soon Blu-Ray exclusif

In fairness, isn't that a bit like saying you should post in every football club's thread as well as Man United's?

If you like something then you're going to have something to say about it, if you don't like the other thing you're not going to go out of your way to find news about it are you?

TG is here as a poster, he's not on £20k a year to report the news to us.
Thats a bad example. Its like having a thread about football in general or any other subject for that matter and only posting one side to the story or posts about one club.
If there were two threads, one for Bluray and one for HDDVD, theres nothing wrong posting in only one but when theres a thread where its supposed to be a discussion about the two, why blatantly ignore all the good news from one side and support the other? I know he's only a poster but Sony might as well have been paying him that £20k a year. ;)
I mean look at this post here.
Yes, you can see alot of people sell the HDDVD player + movies for very cheap (i joke)

one good one bad

1) 5 HDDVD movies free when you buy the Xbox 360 HD-DVD player

2) Warner maybe very soon Blu-Ray exclusif
The only post he made about HDDVD and it came across as sarcastic and as if he's only posting for the sake of it.

He's entitled to hate it though, if there was a combined PS3/360 thread I wouldn't be commenting on the price drops. Not because I hate the PS3 but because I don't care. You can't make someone notice news headlines on something they have no interest in.

ThomasGOAL is ThomasGOAL, he's irreplaceable :)

They'll announce it at CES in January, all depends on holiday sales.

Mission : Impossible Trilogy available in a box set for about 45 quid on both, and Oceans Eleven and Thirteen available too, Twelve did not exist as it was so shit!

5 HD-DVD's available with the MS HD-DVD add on, also HMV are selling it with Superman Returns free instore, thus 6 for 115 quid

I managed to get the Mission Impossible box set before they went extinct. Some places like play.com don't have it anymore on Blu Ray.

Oceans 12 is on both formats, for some reason the 11, 12 and 13 box set doesn't have a UK date yet and thats very annoying.

Mmm... those $99 Tosh HD-DVD players looks soo tempting, but I don't live in the states :(

All those titles are on both formats Tobi, was just saying they were available as I seen them yesterday. But Oceans Twelve is sooooooooo shit it aint worth watching on VHS nevermind HD.

Oceans 12 isn't that bad.

I'm not sure :-k

I've got Cars on the way \\:o/

Michael Bay: Microsoft is the Real Problem

Outspoken director Michael Bay has once again posted a note on his website in regards to the format war, this time calling out Microsoft. He pointed out, similar to what many insiders have been saying for a while, that Microsoft was only trying to destroy both formats in order to usher in digital downloads. Mr. Bay called Blu-ray the "superior" format and hinted that Microsoft was behind the now infamous Paramount payoff.

Below is the full post:

What you don't understand is corporate politics. Microsoft wants both formats to fail so they can be heroes and make the world move to digital downloads. That is the dirty secret no one is talking about. That is why Microsoft is handing out $100 million dollar checks to studios just embrace the HD DVD and not the leading, and superior Blu Ray. They want confusion in the market until they perfect the digital downloads. Time will tell and you will see the truth.

But everyone knows Digital Distribution is the future of movie and possibly games. Just as Apple revolutionised music downloads with iTunes and ipod and other companies who have made mp3 players. I havent personally downloaded a movie nor a tv programme in my life, but does that adage apply to everyone posting in this thread?

Back
Top Bottom