2006 FIFA World Cup (EA Sports)

BumperMan said:
it will be interestimng to see what they do for Fifa 07 i hope it will ONLY come out on the next gen consoles personally because perhaps then we will be looking at a different game engine.
Even if it only comes out on next-gen systems (which I know it wont considering EA made FIFA for the PSone all the way through FIFA 2005) I seriously doubt we will be looking at a different game engine. We are talking about EA's biggest money maker here. If millions of people are buying it year in and year out (meaning they are satified with it) why would EA (in their own minds) need to change the craptastic game engine they already have?

And to all you "I want/like FIFA 06 WC because I need a next-gen soccer game" people. Could you make it any more obvious that you are starting to care more about graphics than gameplay? :rolleyes: What other reason do you have for wanting a "next-gen" soccer game? Especially considering the 360 version of this game is still running on the old engine with nothing more than polished graphics.

Personally, I prefer a game(WE/PES) where all my players don't run like retarded monkeys(FIFA).

Last edited:
Im looking for next gen gameplay(havent yet seen one in any football game). If i want next gen game. Ofcourse i expect better graphics too, but gameplay first.

Nah I quite like the game I think its a good step upwards from previous FIFA's and I quite like it on 360, its excellent ive enjoyed playing it this last few days and every match feels different which is decent, yes sometimes you can really feel the lack of depth compared to PES but a good game nether the less and not just because of the graphics.

DJ

it is a good game full stop quit comparing it to games the only game it should be compared to is FIFA RTWC. Konami aint released anything on this platform.

cowden_harley said:
it is a good game full stop quit comparing it to games the only game it should be compared to is FIFA RTWC. Konami aint released anything on this platform.

thats true and thats what i base MOST of my feelings off of. fifa RTTWC was utter garbage and made me rethink my 360 purchase fifa World Cup comes out and makes me love my 360 .

OK people, I've played this game for a few matches, and here's my thoughts on it. I have played FIFA 2005, FIFA 06 and the atrocious RTTWC.

This game does remind me of a Konami Game, but how people have compared it to anything in the PES series is beyond me, it's ISS, its that simple, it reminds me of ISS2. The speed of the game, the shooting, the tackling. Now this aint a bad thing as ISS was a decent arcade footie game.

I dont understand why they have upped the pace of the normal game though, FIFA 06 had the pace just right, sure you can slow the game down, but it's not by alot and it does suffer slow down which is kinda like having lag in a game even though you arent on Live. Though as Bumper had said earlier it's mroe noticeable in flood lit matches. I assume they have upped the pace as they want people to have exciting football, in fact you will probably have more exciting games on this than there might be at the actual World Cup, but lets hope not.

There are alot of plus points with this game, I still like the ability to enter the quick subs menu etc with the d-pad which was in RTWC. I think the new shooting system is different and fun, it takes a little getting used to, and make sure your full back isn't some shooting area as it'll more than likely go over or wide. I havent played every team, but alot of the kits do look right, at least Northern Ireland have the correct kit this time and Healy in the right number, if only they had Gillespie in the right number too now.

Some of the animations when being tackled and dumped on the ground are good, I also think that they have done what Konami did and actually have certain players run in there style rather than everyone generic running, I havent played it enough to know if this is true, but I did notice the way that Rooney runs was like him in real life. Owen is quick, and you dont score with him everytime which I find realistic. I just wish that some smaller teams had at least one Star player. England have at least 4, and the Netherlands are swamped with them!!!! Though it's prob there front 3 and a centre midfielder which makes you think that.

If you plan on taking a smaller country to the World Cup, say like Northern Ireland, it'll be a tough enough gig, the likes of Van Nistelrooy or Rooney will be hard to keep quiet seeing they are Star players. It's a challenge I hope to complete though. I do like the World Cup Scenarios things, but why use the current squads? Surely you could just of plonked us in a game with players having just their numbers and no names? It adds longevity to the game.

Player models still look plasticly, and why does each player have weight lifter legs and popeyes forearms? Not every player is built like Mr Universe, something they need to sort out. In game graphics are decent and clear, I prefer playing in the WC stadiums, if only for the dropping from the sky into the stadium!!!! Great fun, just like MOTD.

Overall, I wouldnt say it's a great game, it's between decent and good. It's a special game, the World Cup comes around every 4 years, treat this as you would the Official World Cup chart, or Fixtures Book, or Panini Sticker Album, you'll certainly be playing it till and thru the World Cup. It's arcade footie, accept that and enjoy, otherwise get yourself a copy of WE10.

I have this on the xbox 360 and am very happy with it. It still lacks the depth of PES but it's obviously tried to copy the gameplay and it's all the better for it. You can now play a decent game of footy, although you need it on world-class difficulty for a decent challenge.

I bought it as I wanted a WC game but didn't expect too much, and I was happy it was much better than I expected. I'm sure PES6 will still be better, but at last FIFA has made a decent game so we can be hopeful for the future. I agree with Holio, it feels like the original ps2 ISS - similar but a little lightweight in comparison. I'd definately recommmend trying it though, if FIFA 07 is like this or better, I may even play a season!

Holio said:
OK people, I've played this game for a few matches, and here's my thoughts on it. I have played FIFA 2005, FIFA 06 and the atrocious RTTWC.

This game does remind me of a Konami Game, but how people have compared it to anything in the PES series is beyond me, it's ISS, its that simple, it reminds me of ISS2. The speed of the game, the shooting, the tackling. Now this aint a bad thing as ISS was a decent arcade footie game.

I dont understand why they have upped the pace of the normal game though, FIFA 06 had the pace just right, sure you can slow the game down, but it's not by alot and it does suffer slow down which is kinda like having lag in a game even though you arent on Live. Though as Bumper had said earlier it's mroe noticeable in flood lit matches.

Set the game to slow and to avoid the lag make sure that is the first game play, i.e don't play a game at normal first then change to slow. It's a silly bug EA should have sorted but if you lag restart the console and it will be gone. I personally think its a very good game but EA have been very shoddy with the testing there are so many little bugs all over the place that the game was clearly rushed out. Apart from all the mentioned bugs I found another one yesterday, if playing with a friend you can't change the controller config for player 2, absolutely scandalous.

german captain armband says "spielfilm" which means something like movie. the real band says "spielführer" and that's the right german word for captain. no idea what their research department was looking at...

this game has major bugs when playing a world cup game. i had emerson suspended for a match and when i went to play next match it had marcos playing upfront for me and wouldnt let me substitute him, so i had to grit my teeth and go to play the match now when i start the match marcos isnt even playing i have zico playing instead, now i havent even bought zico from the shop either so it seems a little stupid, the worst is when it comes to selecting a squad for the world cup it doesnt let you edit your reserves whatsoever, it just randomises them and its bloody annoying.

yeah, I enjoy the matches but there are some silly mistakes. Having to choose where to save after every game, difficulty in moving players in your squad and I even had an English ref when I played as England! I still think the matches are much better though. (xbox360).

The game is a lot of fun, I'll probably keep playing it for awhile.

The thing I don't like mostly is it's still a bit easy on World Class, far too many 1 on 1's though the keeper saves most, the CPU is not really an attacking force.

The graphics are great on the 360, even on my crappy normal TV and there's lots of different things to do and it plays a decent game of football.

Last edited:
Try to give it another 20 matches. But this time, be sure to only focus on the positives the entire game. Guarantee you will enjoy it more!

I enjoy the game more when I sit there and systematically dissect the other team's defense patiently. I play 15 minute matches only and the get so much pleasure out of draws, wins, or losses.

But, if you still do not find any enjoyment after playing some more, then try EA's FIFA World CUP...It's a terrible alternative, but the only one with official FIFA licenses/teams.

And if you don't like FIFA, order Football Kingdom!!

;-)

Peace!

Well EA had to do something, FIFA's were very poor! 2004/2005 and Euro 2004 were pathetic, Champions League started to head in the right direction and FIFA 06 was ok, WC 06 is a good improvement over FIFA 06 and also is heading towards the old skool PES style of gameplay which is good.

Im not suprised WE/PES gets so much praise as it is a better game when the CPU doesnt cheat lol

DJ

is there anyway to save replays on the xbox360 version?
i can't find it and i'm pretty sure it wouldn't be left out. maybe i'm wrong though
cheers
jamie

You cannot save replays on the 360 version its so bloody annoying! its one of the features that is in the Current Gen version but has been left out of the Next Gen Version... Including player edit and create a player!!

DJ

For those with an Xbox 360 a demo for 2006 FIFA WC (and top Spin 2) has been released, now you can all try it

This game has the worst passing I've ever seen in a football title. The passes are so weak, no graphics can make up for this attrocious part of the gameplay.
I gave it a really good go and played loads of games but everytime I have 2 options to pass too it weaks out and either rolls it to the feet of a defender or goes to entirely the wrong person.

Had high hopes due to the Internet buzz but its a massive let down. Don't even get me started on Owens ginger hair or the fact you have to select the HD about 5 times just to save or that it doesnt save your configuration for camera and controls or that it has an awful soundtrack or the fact it looks worse than Fifa 06 RTTWC, or the fact that they've completely overdone the confetti...

Just don't get me started ;)

Back
Top Bottom