UFL [All Platforms]

Konami and EA have 0 reasons to be worried
Not for the moment they don't.
But despite everything I do hope they'll do well. Both UFL and GOALS.
At least we'll enough to show other developers that football games can be profitable. Coz it's been way too long since we had any competition on the market.
And the more spotlight football games get - the more probable that some developers will notice a huge opportunity gap for proper offline career mode.

Both Konami and EA stopped carrying about quality of their product long time ago.

Konami doesn't care about making content for anything beyond Online and EA doesn't care that their game is a Lightspeed Caricature of sport that it's trying to represent (again - all thanks to Online)

Competition would be great usually brings out the best.

Problem is that both UFL and GOALS are copying Ultimate Team (UFL is also very Fifa like).

Meaning the lesson learned if they are successful probably would be that more companies try to do Online only Football games.

But judging from the current playable test, it is a long way for UFL to even compete on the market.

Problem is that both UFL and GOALS are copying Ultimate Team (UFL is also very Fifa like).
Oh absolutely. But I'm hoping against hope that at least in social media there will be more posts about football games in general and someone will say exactly what you said:
"Hmm.. but they all are copying FUT and Dream Team... Why don't we do something different - proper Sim with in-depth offline career mode..."

One can dream..

After now 30 Matches: Gameplay is similar to what you saw in the Leaks (confirming it wasn't a months old build).

The scripting of Ball behaviour is way worse then in other football games. In 1 on 1 vs the Keeper situations the ball constantly goes nearly magnetically to the keepers hands.

Best strategy at the moment is long shots which the keepers nearly every time reflect to the middle where because of bad defender positioning you very likely get the next chance and then it is ping pong with the keeper two more times and goal.

Also you can see a lot of different currencies they are demanding for different things (so far I counted 4), which usually is a very clear sign for a lot of monetisation coming to the game. It is a very typical Free2Play strategy which will constantly have you be in need for one of the currencies.

Gonna test a bit more but definitely wouldn't hope for this game to be a competitor or a fair Free2Play game.

It sounds like the usual Problems in an alpha test. That the game has some issues at this point is nothing somebody should be surprised about, in this stage of the build this is pretty normal.

the real question is how they will handle the Feedback of the Test and how they will fix this issues.

Remember, in eFootball after an intercepted pass the player stuck in place for about 1 sec and that hasn't been fixed since day one...

It's not usual Alpha Problems and not "some issues". Some things are clearly gameplay decisions.

You said we should judge when we get to play it. I played it, it's awful and proves that the leaked build, was what they have.

It is a bad experience with lots of problems. Especially the goalkeeper and shot behaviour plus Defender positioning is really bad. You can see that they really want some certain things happening in the box and are going for the fast paced ping pong style gameplay style and that has nothing to do with Alpha Stage but are Game Design decisions.

And like I said the multiple currencies are a big red flag that this will go into the typical F2P design where you will always be short of one currency.

Last edited:
Yes it's a bad experience... AGAIN it's an Alpha test.

Why you waste your time when you think it's garbage?
Because I am interested in seeing what they do? And so I am of course trying it out, seeing what their view on a football game is. I also was interested in seeing if the leak really was an old build (which it is now very clear, that it was not). Also I was interested with what their gameplay is like, what the Free2Play aspect would look like and to get an impression on if there is potential or not. So it is not a waste of time if I wanted to find out these things. And I am sharing my impressions here so that others can also be more informed how the state is at the moment (instead of heavily curated/edited YouTube videos by the Devs)

I am more interested in your agenda in this thread. Since you seem to want to counter/defer any criticism of the game and seem to have a hard time with someone not liking the game.

As soon as someone criticizes the game you show up and say: "they said it is an old build" or "it is ALPHA stage" etc. Defending the game as much as possible and I am interested why?

Last edited:
Fairly based critic's is nothing I have a problem with 🤷🏼‍♂️
I can't find anything in my post that's not fair criticism, since I played the game and am just giving my impressions of it.

And yes I am critiquing certain gameplay decisions since they have nothing to do with it being "Alpha or Closed Beta", but are clearly decisions they made in general about how they want the game to be. And it is more and more clear they are copying the FUT Online gameplay. Here it is also 3 passes and you are in front of goal.

And doing a critique of that is fair.

Also the current state shows that their claims about the leak were what I expected: damage control. Since the build that I played is not much different.

Last edited:
Just a quick one tried what will happen if I don't have the currency to buy a player like Ronaldo from the Transfer Market, just to see what will happen this is the message you get:

"Impossible to carry out the desired action.
You should also have:"

Then they show the needed amount of currency and then two choices which are interesting:

"Visit Store" or "Cancel". The store is not active but this is a major red flag and shows exactly what I was fearing: apparently you will be able to buy missing currencies for players in a store and then be able to buy Ronaldo and so on without having to grind.

There is a name for that: Pay to win.

Edit: apparently enhancing your reserves to fit more players in the team is also costing Currency. This all looks like typical Free2Play monetisation strategies you find in Mobile games (Multiple currencies and resources, always missing something to progress and enhance, different resource sinks in the core loop etc.)

Last edited:
Well with Ronaldo endorsing the game and being the cover star, it will sell quite a few copies.
Problem will be the gameplay. Closed Beta Test got an update today. Will write my impressions of it when I have played this version.

Don't have big hopes the last version was really bad (a lot of beta testers stopped playing because it was so bad) but maybe they have made progress we will see.

:YAWN::SNACK:

Wake me up when this will have an good offline part with good gameplay AI and ton's of licensed teams, stadiums and players.

:YAWN::SNACK:

Wake me up when this will have an good offline part with good gameplay AI and ton's of licensed teams, stadiums and players.
What a stupid comment. They said from the start that it will be online only game.
However bad this game might be - you can't hold against them what they announced from the start.

What a stupid comment. They said from the start that it will be online only game.
However bad this game might be - you can't hold against them what they announced from the start.
Ok buddy understand your opinion. But why this thread is not dead? I tought everyone on evoweb is an offline player in terms of virtual football games.

Really no offend. :))

Quick summary: gameplay is still not great.

Stats don't seem to matter, goalkeepers have the same weaknesses as before, defenders still ping pong the ball to the attacker (when it is not glued to the attackers foot), same problems as before.

They improved the camera and controls but other than that it is still very far away from a good football game.

It will most likely sell, we have a different game that's been garbage for years that people still buy by the millions, so why not?
I just hope it doesn't start a race to the bottom - "if they're making a super-fast super-dumb arcade game, we can make a faster, even more divorced from reality one and be the best of all football games" (and then call it "the most realistic game ever" in the PR for it).

I feel like that's the more likely path of the next ten years, rather than any dev lead going "hang on ... in a sea of arcade games, why don't we piggy-back onto the success of football analysis shows / podcasts, and make something a bit more SERIOUS".

I've been hoping for the latter for a very long time and all it's brought me is pain. (And not the good, French kind.)

What gives me hope about this whole ordeal is that this will hopefully motivate Indie game developers into making a solid, retro, offline-focused game in the next few years. We had the continued development of Active Soccer 2023 this year, and that shows quite a bit of promise. I predict that 2024 will bring good Indie news for us football retrogamers.

Yeah, I'm an optimist when it comes to these things. :LOL:

I just hope it doesn't start a race to the bottom - "if they're making a super-fast super-dumb arcade game, we can make a faster, even more divorced from reality one and be the best of all football games" (and then call it "the most realistic game ever" in the PR for it).

I feel like that's the more likely path of the next ten years, rather than any dev lead going "hang on ... in a sea of arcade games, why don't we piggy-back onto the success of football analysis shows / podcasts, and make something a bit more SERIOUS".

I've been hoping for the latter for a very long time and all it's brought me is pain. (And not the good, French kind.)
Don't think the average consumer wants a proper football game, the average young consumer is positive to a superleague and sees no issues with corporations like man city (and others) owning how many teams nowadays?
And yes, the right term for them is consumers, not fans anymore.

Then there's us, there's a lot of us, but looking at soc media we dont really stand a chance vs them.
Just hope that someone creates some game on a indie level, think that's our only chance.

:) nice one with the pain buddy

I just wish that this game would become as popular as FIFA in online mode, so that KONAMI's share in this business would decrease even more and they would return to making money from players as before. I want nothing more from the UFL. But it's just a dream.

Don't think the average consumer wants a proper football game, the average young consumer is positive to a superleague and sees no issues with corporations like man city (and others) owning how many teams nowadays?
And yes, the right term for them is consumers, not fans anymore.

Then there's us, there's a lot of us, but looking at soc media we dont really stand a chance vs them.
Just hope that someone creates some game on a indie level, think that's our only chance.

:) nice one with the pain buddy
What do you class as a proper football game?
There’s been football games of the past which I consider some of the best football games I’ve played and realism isn’t always the best route because after all this is a video game we’re talking about. There has to be elements of fun. If someone made a game that was a total simulation of football I’m not sure whether that would actually be fun to play. Take PES 6 for example. That’s not what I’d call realistic but it has realistic elements (for its time). The main reason everyone played it was because it was fun. Look at sensible word of soccer. It’s about a far of a departure from realism as you can get and that’s considered to be one of the greatest football games ever made.
I personally think it’s more about getting the balance right. The balance of fun and realism is what makes a good football game in my opinion.

What do you class as a proper football game?
There’s been football games of the past which I consider some of the best football games I’ve played and realism isn’t always the best route because after all this is a video game we’re talking about. There has to be elements of fun. If someone made a game that was a total simulation of football I’m not sure whether that would actually be fun to play. Take PES 6 for example. That’s not what I’d call realistic but it has realistic elements (for its time). The main reason everyone played it was because it was fun. Look at sensible word of soccer. It’s about a far of a departure from realism as you can get and that’s considered to be one of the greatest football games ever made.
I personally think it’s more about getting the balance right. The balance of fun and realism is what makes a good football game in my opinion.
Shit games like EA FC 24 for instance, players moving like crabs, no realistic ball physics etc etc etc.
Not really deamanding a ultra realistic sim, but needs to look and play like football.
Sorry for OT.

Shit games like EA FC 24 for instance, players moving like crabs, no realistic ball physics etc etc etc.
Not really deamanding a ultra realistic sim, but needs to look and play like football.
Sorry for OT.
I’m quite enjoying EA FC 24 since they patched it. I only play career mode though so no idea what it’s like online. It’s still not as much fun as a classic PES game though. Just out of interest what is your favourite football game?

I’m quite enjoying EA FC 24 since they patched it. I only play career mode though so no idea what it’s like online. It’s still not as much fun as a classic PES game though. Just out of interest what is your favourite football game?
Lets see, Pes 5/12/13/14/17 is my favourite Pes games and for Fifa 15/16/17
Hard to chose, but those feel the most fun to play, hardly any skating etc, really like them all, spent most time with Pes 17 and Fifa 15

Back
Top Bottom