UFL [All Platforms]

Lets see, Pes 5/12/13/14/17 is my favourite Pes games and for Fifa 15/16/17
Hard to chose, but those feel the most fun to play, hardly any skating etc, really like them all, spent most time with Pes 17 and Fifa 15
Ah yes PES 5 is a great game. I think I would prefer it to PES 6 if it weren’t for the referees. I don’t really have the patience for it these days so PES 6 is preferable for me.
Not played any FIFA games except FC24. I’ve always been a PES guy so I don’t really have any basis to compare FC24 with FIFA games. I just felt like playing a new football game so I got it. At first I was disgusted with it and actually contacted for a refund because to me it was a broken game. They gave me the run around and I never got a refund. They have patched it quite a lot since then and it’s a fun experience now in my opinion. As I said I don’t play online so can only comment on offline like career mode. It was very difficult to get used to though after PES but yeah I play career mode most days so that says it all really. Still not as good as classic PES games though but not many football games are. Did you play fc24 or have you skipped it based on what you’ve read, other people’s opinions etc? If you’ve not played it I say give it a go if you have some spare cash but take a solid few weeks of playing it before deciding if you like it or not. It grew on me and as I said I find it fun now.

Ah yes PES 5 is a great game. I think I would prefer it to PES 6 if it weren’t for the referees. I don’t really have the patience for it these days so PES 6 is preferable for me.
Not played any FIFA games except FC24. I’ve always been a PES guy so I don’t really have any basis to compare FC24 with FIFA games. I just felt like playing a new football game so I got it. At first I was disgusted with it and actually contacted for a refund because to me it was a broken game. They gave me the run around and I never got a refund. They have patched it quite a lot since then and it’s a fun experience now in my opinion. As I said I don’t play online so can only comment on offline like career mode. It was very difficult to get used to though after PES but yeah I play career mode most days so that says it all really. Still not as good as classic PES games though but not many football games are. Did you play fc24 or have you skipped it based on what you’ve read, other people’s opinions etc? If you’ve not played it I say give it a go if you have some spare cash but take a solid few weeks of playing it before deciding if you like it or not. It grew on me and as I said I find it fun now.
Got very turned off watching videos on it, and it's great that you enjoy it, that's what it's all about mate.

It's always tough switching between pes and fifa ,two very different games.
I haven't bought FIFA since FIFA 20 that was my last game.

I get some will go for the latest game, updated rosters etc, and that's great, but to me it's been going downhill for a long time gameplay wise and I stick to old rosters and older FIFA's ,to me Fifa 15 and 17 are great games with the right sliders,and 17 still holds up ,looks really good still.
I'm the same playing 2k, still a good game, but to me the highlight is still 2k16.
Have fun and glad you enjoy EA FC, wish I could (played some of my 10 hrs trial)

Got very turned off watching videos on it, and it's great that you enjoy it, that's what it's all about mate.

It's always tough switching between pes and fifa ,two very different games.
I haven't bought FIFA since FIFA 20 that was my last game.

I get some will go for the latest game, updated rosters etc, and that's great, but to me it's been going downhill for a long time gameplay wise and I stick to old rosters and older FIFA's ,to me Fifa 15 and 17 are great games with the right sliders,and 17 still holds up ,looks really good still.
I'm the same playing 2k, still a good game, but to me the highlight is still 2k16.
Have fun and glad you enjoy EA FC, wish I could (played some of my 10 hrs trial)

Im not really into basketball so I’ve never played a 2k game. Of the US sports I like Hockey and sometimes watch that. I’ve been looking for a good hockey game but it seems there isn’t one (Nintendo switch), at least not a AAA title anyway. Kind of a shame since that thing has pretty much everything but a hockey game.
Yeah I guess FC24 isn’t for everyone. Maybe this UFL will turn out well…. If it’s ever released.

Well, I got into the closed beta!

First game, against someone else who'd never played the game before... 5-5 at full-time. With a starter squad.

Not going to bother writing an essay. Safe to say, football gaming is still dead as far as I'm concerned.

Remember the days when we'd buy the new PES and say to friends / online forums, "how the hell do you score in this one?" Then, eventually, you'd adapt to the AI changes and you'd understand why you had to play a little differently.

Now, it's "press shoot to score". And it's boring as hell.

Go on, tell them, @Chris Davies .
They will like it. It's epic. Go on!
:LOL:
Well, seeing as you asked...

The physics were okay - they're basic, but they're solid. Nothing crazy happens, no Hypermotion here.

But the AI... It's all too familiar. Kick off and every player runs backwards/towards the sideline and leaves you with an ocean of space to do whatever you like in. Shoot, goal.

They sent me an email shortly after I played to ask for feedback. Sure thing, happy to oblige. Except... The questions...

I mean...

Screenshot-20240215-173650.png

Screenshot-20240215-173658.png

Well, seeing as you asked...

The physics were okay - they're basic, but they're solid. Nothing crazy happens, no Hypermotion here.

But the AI... It's all too familiar. Kick off and every player runs backwards/towards the sideline and leaves you with an ocean of space to do whatever you like in. Shoot, goal.

They sent me an email shortly after I played to ask for feedback. Sure thing, happy to oblige. Except... The questions...

I mean...

Screenshot-20240215-173650.png

Screenshot-20240215-173658.png
That can't be fucking real?

So the people who hadn't even heard of manual passing in football games didn't make a good football game.

What an absolute shocker

I'm a beta tester of UFL since version 0.0.0.0.0.0.1 and .. the game feels and plays like an early 2000 game, It is so basic that basic can be.
I don't know what and how they should do to make it suitable for the mass audience, gamers, and football fans, maybe if they listen to the beta testers' feedback but.. they have so much work to do they will need 5 more years of development at this rate.

Last edited:
the real shocker is that finally there is a project for a new Football "simulation" using Unreal Engine 5 and enough time + money and the result until now is absolutely underwhelming... I have been a fan of this project since day one but what I've seen until now in gameplay is not good for the time of development.

I hope some serous changes/fixes/tuning will make in the next couple of months

the real shocker is that finally there is a project for a new Football "simulation" using Unreal Engine 5 and enough time + money and the result until now is absolutely underwhelming... I have been a fan of this project since day one but what I've seen until now in gameplay is not good for the time of development.

I hope some serous changes/fixes/tuning will make in the next couple of months
Oh, they are fixing bugs at a good rate, but overall the gameplay does not evolve as much as I want.

I know they do, I've played it. but the base of that Game at this point is not what we want with the possibility of much money and UE5.

Maybe things will change, I don't know

On my life, it is. There's a Discord for feedback too, but how important that is given the survey that was emailed out, I'm not sure.
I guess the feedback was probably going to be on the demographic - once they noticed it was the disgruntled old FUT community who wanted out of EA - they probably want to try and copy EA too since its the same people just wanting a different machine. Except on a lower budget and worse

Thing is, with the amount of money they've invested in this just to make something that's... already doing what FIFA/FC24 & eFootball already do so well in regards to their business model, it's completely derivative. It's like opening an obscure burger shop next door to McDonalds and hoping to take their business.

Well, I got into the closed beta!

First game, against someone else who'd never played the game before... 5-5 at full-time. With a starter squad.

Not going to bother writing an essay. Safe to say, football gaming is still dead as far as I'm concerned.

Remember the days when we'd buy the new PES and say to friends / online forums, "how the hell do you score in this one?" Then, eventually, you'd adapt to the AI changes and you'd understand why you had to play a little differently.

Now, it's "press shoot to score". And it's boring as hell.
the scoreline makes sense if its a starter squad, keeper and defence would be terrible.

For me it shows multiple things: 1. Making a football game from scratch is a huge task and there is a reason why only Konami and EA are competing with each other at the moment with a possible 2K game coming in

2. Games like UFL and Goals have Ultimate Team and My Club as a direction and the Online Crowd. There is no interest in making a classic football game, in the end it is what was to be expected: Free2Play with heavy monetisation incoming.

3. Next to smaller Indie Studios who make Games like Active Soccer my feeling is the change needs to come from inside the Studios: I am sure there are people at Konami, EA and 2K who want to improve the shortcomings of their games/football games.

Will be interesting how the market develops, but everyone just copying My Club and Ultimate Team is not the way to go.

For me it shows multiple things: 1. Making a football game from scratch is a huge task and there is a reason why only Konami and EA are competing with each other at the moment with a possible 2K game coming in
This reminds me of a quote from someone who worked on the WWE games when a budding indie dev asked him for advice on making his own wrestling game, he said "here's my advice, grab a beer and play someone else's wrestling game" implying that making a sports sim with so many complexities and variables is such a stressful headache in a team of professional developers let alone as a lone man.

There's a reason you don't many football games compared to the late '90s and early 2000's. The standards of what's expected from them is so high that building a new one from scratch especially a realistic one is such a daunting task.
2. Games like UFL and Goals have Ultimate Team and My Club as a direction and the Online Crowd. There is no interest in making a classic football game, in the end it is what was to be expected: Free2Play with heavy monetisation incoming.

3. Next to smaller Indie Studios who make Games like Active Soccer my feeling is the change needs to come from inside the Studios: I am sure there are people at Konami, EA and 2K who want to improve the shortcomings of their games/football games.

Will be interesting how the market develops, but everyone just copying My Club and Ultimate Team is not the way to go.
The problem is making games like this need funding, and who's going to provide that? Shareholders and investors and they only give a damn about generating ongoing revenue. The only way of doing that is to follow the business model that the gander does.

There's just no belief any more that selling a sim for a one off purchase is lucrative.

There's a reason you don't many football games compared to the late '90s and early 2000's. The standards of what's expected from them is so high that building a new one from scratch especially a realistic one is such a daunting task
marvel-is-it-though (1).gif
I don't know about that.. Nobody even attempted to make a realistic football game in at least 10 years.

Everyone want to jump on Online FUT/MyClub bandwagon.

Same as any other simulation loving communities - whether it's Flight Sim, Mil Sim, Driving Sim - there's an entire niche who is dying for a realistic football simulation.
And I'm pretty sure that this community does not expect miracles either. If we had proper stats based game, like early PES games, with decent AI, steep learning curve and decent graphics - everybody would jump on it.

So yeah - I completely disagree that high expectations are preventing developers from making a realistic football game.
it's lack of passion mixed with greed - that's what is stopping them.

I don't know about that.. Nobody even attempted to make a realistic football game in at least 10 years.

Everyone want to jump on Online FUT/MyClub bandwagon.

Same as any other simulation loving communities - whether it's Flight Sim, Mil Sim, Driving Sim - there's an entire niche who is dying for a realistic football simulation.
And I'm pretty sure that this community does not expect miracles either. If we had proper stats based game, like early PES games, with decent AI, steep learning curve and decent graphics - everybody would jump on it.

So yeah - I completely disagree that high expectations are preventing developers from making a realistic football game.
it's lack of passion mixed with greed - that's what is stopping them.
I mean, I do imagine there's a lot of passionate football fans in these development teams that probably wish they could take their game in that direction but what can they do if they're given strict orders to produce something to the contrary from management who are also getting that pressure from above to make something that appeals to a certain demographic?

We've all been there in regular jobs where you disagree with protocol but if you wanna keep your job, you do as you're told. I suspect it's no different to them.

We hear about developers all the time that leave a company because they've become disillusioned with their vision being dismissed, their work becoming a nothing but a cut throat make money by any means product and shit working conditions. I know I'm tailing off a little but i'd imagine a lot of frustration by a lot of these devs. Even if working for EA gets you paid a lot of money, I'm sure to some of them the money stops meaning much after a while and they'd want to make something with more integrity.

I agree with everything you said above, but your original argument was different. You were saying that expectations are too high to make a realistic football game. Unless I misunderstood.
I thought you meant expectations from us - fans. Maybe you meant expectations from the bosses to make certain amount of profit - in that case - yeah, true.
Unless we get passionate indie developers, who care less about profit and more about creating what they love - we're bolloxed.

Back
Top Bottom