The Retro-PES Corner

What's peoples opinions of Winning Eleven/PES titles post 2008 on PS2?

They made some changes - some additional animations, better graphics (player faces, crowds, lighting etc) but most notably they changed the dribbling style when running. The dribble runs became slightly slower but the ball is kept closer to the players feet.

Some prefer this but others think the old style is more realistic where the dribble is quicker/large steps made, but there is less control of the ball. I'm somewhere in between. There are times the older style is more realistic and other times when the newer style is better as the old way of dribbling made me feel like I was playing with a Sunday league amateur rather than a professional footballer.

Last edited:
What's peoples opinions of Winning Eleven/PES titles post 2008 on PS2?

They made some changes - some additional animations, better graphics (player faces, crowds, lighting etc) but most notably they changed the dribbling style when running. The dribble runs became slightly slower but the ball is kept closer to the players feet.

Some prefer this but others think the old style is more realistic where the dribble is quicker/large steps made, but there is less control of the ball. I'm somewhere in between. There are times the older style is more realistic and other times when the newer style is better as the old way of dribbling made me feel like I was playing with a Sunday league amateur rather than a professional footballer.

I agree I think the differences between PES5/6/2008 and then the later games center around the dribbling/ball control which has a knock on that affects the game speed and how defensive the CPU is, if you look at PES5 as an example people like the tighter games and better defending but as you said the dribbling is quicker with large steps so you lose the ball more giving that idea the CPU is better defensively. I do agree sometimes you lose sight of that these are top tier proffesional footballers who do have close control of the ball.

I recently said that In the search for the best PES5&6 hybrid I had been playing J-League Winning Eleven 2009 Club Championship which is a version that I am really enjoying and it occured to me that through all of the different mods/patches JP and Korean versions the reason I like J-League Winning Eleven 2009 Club Championship so much is not because it's the perfect hybrid but because it's different and the search for the perfect version is pointless. for the newest PS2 games people seem to like PES2013/2014 but I can never get into a groove with those games as I always think I may as well play on newer Hardware.

ok guys so i have one question about pes mods

few days ago i found a video presenting this ps2 patch:

it would be a typical patch for old pes but on creator's channel there is video about identical patch but for pc so he probably ported this patch from pc to ps2
and here's my question: is possible to port patches from pc to ps2 most faithfully to pc base regarding ps2 limitations in comparison to pc
for example: both fabri55's original season patches for pes 5 and 6
or world patches for pes 3 and 4
or even gladiator patch 2008/09
and much more...

ok guys so i have one question about pes mods

few days ago i found a video presenting this ps2 patch:

it would be a typical patch for old pes but on creator's channel there is video about identical patch but for pc so he probably ported this patch from pc to ps2
and here's my question: is possible to port patches from pc to ps2 most faithfully to pc base regarding ps2 limitations in comparison to pc
for example: both fabri55's original season patches for pes 5 and 6
or world patches for pes 3 and 4
or even gladiator patch 2008/09
and much more...
To some extent, I think that it can be done. With a lot of limitations, though... So I don't think it's really worth.

You should just be aware that as far as I know there's no kitserver equivalent for consoles (unlike for FIFA where a stripped down version of Revolution Mod made its way to Xbox 360 if I recall correctly), so...
Stadiums can't be added.
Boots and footballs are hugely limited in number.
Kits must be resized to an image size of 512x256 pixels, converted into an indexed, shared-palette format (if you're talking about PES 5) and imported into the 0_text.afs file (which must be increased in size to accomodate them). No third kits will be available.
If you're looking at PES 6, you can't just import kits into the 0_text.afs file because... There are no free slots for them (unlike in PES 5). So, in that case, you should create the kits in the option file (or, if you want to have licensed kits for the most important teams, relink them so "less important" teams are left kitless while "more important" ones become "licensed", and it's a thing I wouldn't even know how to explain, let alone do).

Don't know if it's worth the time and effort (especially for PES 6), honestly.

Sorry curious does anyone know what does enabling Classic Players in Master League Settings on PES2011 do? I have all the classic players unlocked but do I need to manually transfer them or?

Sorry curious does anyone know what does enabling Classic Players in Master League Settings on PES2011 do? I have all the classic players unlocked but do I need to manually transfer them or?
To where i know, in every PES iteration, they appear as free agents, if you want them in your team from the start, you must transfer them before starting the master league.

It's been awfully quiet in here lately (except for modding discussion).. Am I the only one who's enjoying retro PES at the moment? :GSCARF:

Don't let the retro-pes gaming discussion disappear, guys. :)

I'm currently playing PES2013 and a ton of PS2 PES2011 with some friends. I absolutely love the PES2009 and PES2010 menus and soundtrack, but I never managed to get back to them, I can't get myself to like the gameplay and the ingame atmosphere for some reason. I used to play them in the Wii/PS2, which is clearly different from the PC/PS3/XBOX360 versions.

It's been awfully quiet in here lately (except for modding discussion).. Am I the only one who's enjoying retro PES at the moment? :GSCARF:

Yeah this has become a bit modding/editing heavy recently. I do sometimes wonder if, considering as well how many more PESes are now deemed retro, this thread needs a bit of direction. But I'm sure as hell not the man to do it!

I've been playing the odd game. I sort of have a system now whereby I'll look for an appropriate game to use for my social media stuff, and I'll play it for a bit. Very often, that involves a retro PES!

This took me to MLS GameNight and PES(1) the other day. Classics!

Screenshot 2024-03-15 at 16.02.04.png
👆This is what I'm playing right now and have been since it and an option was very kindly shared on here.

I've waited until now to report back on whether this is the PES 5 improvement that many claim it to be. I've now played three seasons of a Master League, starting with the defaults and I'm going to tentatively say that I think it is. I think this is better than the best...just.

Basically, it's a tweaked PES 5. It still has glorious ball physics - better than PES 5 when it come to passing - and the opposition AI is improved. Opposition teams are still rock-sold defensively but they're far more potent in attack. Keepers are better and player individuality seems a little more prominent.

There's still lots of fouls but not as many as PES 5. Refs are strict but there's less soft penalties and more chance to enjoy the midfield maelstrom than in PES 5.

It's taken me three seasons to get promoted out of Division 2 of my six-star difficulty ML (on PS2 with McBoot) using only modest signings to improve my squad. I could do it in one on PES 5. Every match has been a proper challenge and I haven't played the big boys of Division 1 or Europe yet.

What is the same in WE9LE is the interface and the ML environment, right down to the usual lack of transfer offers that seems to blight every PES of the PS2 generation.

Anyway, thanks again to those who helped me embark on my very first Winning Eleven. I knew it would be good of course and it is. It's PES 5 good and a bit extra.

Yep it has gotten quiet. I have been really busy recently and have slowed right down with my latest option file and iso.

It is mainly because i have discovered Outer Wilds which for me is basically the best game ever. (Other than retro PES of course :D )

Hey guys! Wanted to share something I've been working on. :)

As some of you might know, PES 2016 has really bad goalkeepers.

So I decided to improve them a bit. After several days of hard work, I was finally able to edit all goalkeepers in PES 2016, giving them "Offensive Goalkeeper".

I had to manually edit all goalkeepers one by one with PES Next Gen Editor, a very long and painstaking process :LOL: as I wasn't able to find any external editor which made global changes to playing style.

I also gave them some stats adjustments: Major boosts in Defensive Prowess and Ball Winning, Maximum Form, Man Marking, Acrobatic Clear, and Fighting Spirit. I decided not to change any of the "Goalkeeper Stats", because I wanted to keep the overall stats the same as not to mess with ML salaries. (Otherwise, if I had given them boosts in GK abilities, they would have much inflated overall scores, breaking salaries). The changes I applied do not increase overall rating. The "Offensive Goalkeeper" playing style makes them more dynamic and less passive, and, in my opinion, improves their performance so that they are not glued to the line.

Don't expect miracles though. The GK's are still quite flawed. But I believe I did the maximum possible to improve them without changing their overall rating, and thus keeping realism for Master League.

I haven't revised the file (it would've taken me way too long, so I made the changes manually once), so there might be a few missing. But at the very least, 95% or more goalkeepers (including Club Teams, National Teams, Classic Teams, ML Default Teams and Free Agents), have the applied changes. Let me know if you find anything missing or any errors.

Feel free to use it with any gameplay mod you wish, or with Vanilla gameplay. Personally, I am using it wth Vanilla .exe and a modified version of Mackubex's dt18, available here. Mackubex's gameplay already improves goalkeepers, I believe. Credits go to the original creator of the dt18 of course.

This Edit File is compatible with this version of Smoke Patch. I don't believe it would be compatible with any other patches, as I used Smoke Patch as a base.

Here is the edit file :TU:

Cheers bros! :BSCARF:

Last edited:
I fully agree with outer wilds being an amazing game!!!

Yep it truly is!

But back to PES, i thought i would play a few games of my ML on my xbox using XBSX2 in dev mode and it won’t start. Someone suggested changing the resolution to 1080p but still no joy. Everything else loads up, RetroArch etc but XBSX2 won’t.

I noticed that there was an Xbox update on 16th March does anybody else who uses this have the same problem? I am asking you @Flipper the Priest :D

I have been searching online for a solution but most of the answers is the resolution thing or it’s for those that have just installed it. I played PES on it a few days ago but before the 16th. This seems like a new bug. :(

Last edited:
Yep it truly is!

But back to PES, i thought i would play a few games of my ML on my xbox using XBSX2 in dev mode and it won’t start. Someone suggested changing the resolution to 1080p but still no joy. Everything else loads up, RetroArch etc but XBSX2 won’t.

I noticed that there was an Xbox update on 16th March does anybody else who uses this have the same problem? I am asking you @Flipper the Priest :D

I have been searching online for a solution but most of the answers is the resolution thing or it’s for those that have just installed it. I played PES on it a few days ago but before the 16th. This seems like a new bug. :(
maybe ask the XBSX2 developers? they may be aware of the bug or any temporary solutions to your problem until they release an update that fixes it

Hello y'all!

Haven't posted here in a while now, so I'll give a small update on myself.

Currently into my fourth season of a PES6 ML, I decided to "create" the football department of Mallorca Palma/Palma Futsal, aka the reigning champions of the Futsal UCL.

Didn't start with a full default ML squad because this was meant to be a more casual ML rather than an actual grinding one (it's the best I can mentally handle now that I'm on my early years of uni). Instead I replaced the OG substitutes, and left the default starting XI as the substitutes, having an XI made up entirely of players I picked, so I could rebuild the team based around them.

Haven't been a bad run so far, having already won the following titles:
- 2nd Division (2006)
- D2 Cup (2006)
- 1st Division (2007, 2008)
- D1 Cup (2008)
- UEFA Champions League (2008)

It also marks the first ever succesful ML run on the Spanish/Iberian League, given that all my previous best MLs were played mostly on the Premier League. Can't wait to see where I can get this pseudo-fictional team... But while we wait, here are some screenshots I've taken of it, including my current home kit, where we can see I pulled an 80's Milan and added the badge of the UCL trophy on it :)

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-03-14 145306.png
    Screenshot 2024-03-14 145306.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 32
  • Screenshot 2024-03-17 160811.png
    Screenshot 2024-03-17 160811.png
    1 MB · Views: 30
  • Screenshot 2024-03-17 225203.png
    Screenshot 2024-03-17 225203.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 26
  • Screenshot 2024-03-17 225254.png
    Screenshot 2024-03-17 225254.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 25
  • Screenshot 2024-03-18 164413.png
    Screenshot 2024-03-18 164413.png
    352.3 KB · Views: 31
  • Screenshot 2024-03-18 164430.png
    Screenshot 2024-03-18 164430.png
    784.6 KB · Views: 32
  • Screenshot 2024-03-18 164451.png
    Screenshot 2024-03-18 164451.png
    291.2 KB · Views: 30
Hi guys, I have installed a pes 6 patch but when I click "Ok" in settings.exe my settings just won't save, I tried running as an administrator, but that didn't work, can y'all help me find out plz? thank you so much.

Yep it truly is!

Hmm... I was using mine in the early hours of this morning. Can't remember the console updating in the past few days though. Will look into it!

Hmm... I was using mine in the early hours of this morning. Can't remember the console updating in the past few days though. Will look into it!

Yeh it's strange, when I first boot up the logo flashes on very briefly then it goes back to dev mode. Then when I click on it again it just springs right back out with no logo.

Also, when I was exploring, I came to a bit where you select the game/app and have the option to delete it but the MB displayed for XBSX2 is zero so it makes me wonder if it has been deleted somehow.

Maybe you have your Xbox set to 'no auto update' or something :THINK:

Hi guys, I have installed a pes 6 patch but when I click "Ok" in settings.exe my settings just won't save, I tried running as an administrator, but that didn't work, can y'all help me find out plz? thank you so much.
plz can someone help? thank you a lot

Back
Top Bottom