The Retro-PES Corner

Had to do a double take, was half expecting to see the beloved Nintendo character. :LOL:
Fun fact: I first heard of the Kirby vacuum cleaner through those adboards and I thought that it was named after the Nintendo character (you know, a character that has the power to inhale everything that gets in his way could be a perfect testimonial for a vacuum cleaner after all).

Then I discovered that J.B. Kirby had designed several vacuum cleaners (and had even died) long before the release of the first game in the series (which I own, by the way) so I thought "OK it's the other way round, the character is named Kirby as a tribute to the inventor".
But even that, I found out, was not true. Mr. Kirby was a lawyer that helped Nintendo in a case about Donkey Kong's rights and had nothing to do with either J.B. Kirby or his company.

Then, here in Italy that name started to become infamous for some, let's say, shady tactics used by their resellers and for their employees reportedly not being treated right (one of my favourite writers published a book about that, and a film was then made from it).
Some resellers (the Kirby company, as far as I know, never sold directly in Italy but there were people that imported the cleaners and then sold them door-to-door) even ended up in court for those actions.

From there, the name started fading away, at least here.

As far as I know the Kirby company is alive and well, and they keep producing vacuum cleaners in the US, but I don't know the market share they have here in Italy now (if any).

Last edited:
Mr. Kirby was a lawyer that helped Nintendo in a case about Donkey Kong's rights and had nothing to do with either J.B. Kirby or his company.
Coincidentally, I just found out about J.B. Kirby's connection to our dear character about a year ago.

Interesting backstory, BTW. Had no idea about the Kirby vacuum cleaner, lol..

Hahah,, back to retro-pes, I guess! :LOL:

Yeah, I really like that detail.
PES 5 still surprise me after years and years of playing!

:LMAO:
I removed a "12.40" adboard from San Siro.
I don't want to remember it and its song
1711383597696.png
(it makes me laugh even more if I think that I was talking about Donkey Kong earlier)

But even better than this... 892 892!!!

foto4.jpg

(OK sorry Fabri, back on topic from now on from my side)

Someone have a list of official languages and commentators (include co-commentator) for all pes games (1995-2024) ?
For download, or just the list? I can contribute by my side, the Greek commentary 2011-2021 was

commentator: Christos Sotirakopoulos

co-commentator: Georgios Thanailakis (aka Giorgos, George in English)

fun fact: Sotirakopoulos was also the commentator in FIFA 2000, the first time it was localised in greek language, and he was the commentator in FIFA 2000 and 2001. The last FIFA with greek commentary was FIFA 2002, with another sportscaster.

Funnier fact: There was a Greek commentary version for Κick Off world, where the commentator was a famous greek comedian that his best talent was to mimic any voice, from politician to sportscasters to celebrities to TV personalities, etc. He was making the commentary , mimicing various greek sportcasters etc in each separate line.

Last edited:
For download, or just the list? I can contribute by my side, the Greek commentary 2011-2021 was

fun fact: Sotirakopoulos was also the commentator in FIFA 2000, the first time it was localised in greek language, and he was the commentator in FIFA 2000 and 2001. The last FIFA with greek commentary was FIFA 2002, with another sportscaster.

Funnier fact: There was a Greek commentary version for Κick Off world, where the commentator was a famous greek comedian that his best talent was to mimic any voice, from politician to sportscasters to celebrities to TV personalities, etc. He was making the commentary , mimicing various greek sportcasters etc in each separate line.
Was it Mitsikostas?

Correct. Mitsikostas doing Mavromatis (FIFA 2002 commentator) , Diakogiannis, Georgiou etc :D

The quality is mediocre, but it is what it is. Check the spoiler ;)

Imagine if they made a similar game but about basketball, with Mitsikostas mimicking Skountis, Ioannou, Hatzigeorgiou etc. it would've been hilarious:DD

Thank you very much my friend. I mean on just list.
On which pes years we have official Greek commentary? Every from 2011 to 2021?

Thank you very much my friend. I mean on just list.
On which pes years we have official Greek commentary? Every from 2011 to 2021?
Every year and game from 2011 to 2021.

From 2011 up to 2021 for PC.

From 2011 to 2014 for PC and the current (of that time) gen console, PS3 and XBox360.

From 2015 up to 2018, for PC, PS3, PS4, Xbox360 and XboxONE.

From PES 2019 to 2021 for PC, PS4, XboxONE.

I only have doubts for the PS2 versions from 2011 to 2014.

From 2011 to 2014 for PC and the current (of that time) gen console, PS3 and XBox360.

Thank you very much :)

I'm pretty sure the PSP versions had greek commentary so the PS2 versions must have also had greek commentary right? (fun fact, pes 2010 on the ps2 had an option for the greek language, but text only, no commentary)

Has anyone got a translated WE7?

Not after WE7I but the original WE release with Juventus unlicensed and the champagne and red Predator Mania available.

I'm currently working on an 2002/03 OF for it but I've only got the Japanese version so trying to remember the menu layout is slowing progress a little.

I'm pretty sure the PSP versions had greek commentary so the PS2 versions must have also had greek commentary right? (fun fact, pes 2010 on the ps2 had an option for the greek language, but text only, no commentary)

i think that no konami for psp and ps2 and those game with same engine didn't wanted to waste money so they re used files, the only new languages included were portuguese and spanish (latam)

Get the pes 2014 world challenge REPACK-POSTMORTEM release for multi language version. It's around 9gb, sadly my internet sucks.

You could find it on torrent though

PRO.EVOLUTION.SOCCER.2014.WORLD.CHALLENGE.MULTI13.REPACK-POSTMORTEM

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom