The Last Of Us

Good comparison to heavy rain.

Pacing is similar. Intensity is extremely high without being action packed.

only 3 hours in to be fair so not done a great deal but it has incredible stature. it's a movie quality game with stunning story telling.

Beyond Two Souls is more like Heavy Rain.

The Last of Us is more similar to the Uncharted series of game..

The Last of Us is more similar to the Uncharted series of game..

There's some scant similarities but not really. It's a lot more thoughtful. Gunplay is similar but more "realistic" in that you don't nail the target all the time and the protagonist isn't a "super hero." Character movement is heavier also and you can't scale objects like drake. Much better game imo, that the Uncharted games could steal some ideas from. To be honest it's sort of hard to call this a game in the traditional sense.

Only some hours in it, but it has the feeling of masterppieces. A lot of attention to detail, absolutely top notch production values and good pacing and storytelling. The effort put on character building is astonishing.

Finally got it working.

I played the first "scene" then only about another 20mins until bed last night.

As i was in a bad mood from the install fucking about it hasn't grabbed me yet, i trust that will change.

starting this now, going to do an all nighter just like the old days

Enjoy!!! First ten minutes nearly had me crying! you will see what I mean!

It's truly brilliant but I still feel a little let down by the hand to hand fighting.

Everything else feels great!

Enjoy!!! First ten minutes nearly had me crying! you will see what I mean!

It's truly brilliant but I still feel a little let down by the hand to hand fighting.

Everything else feels great!

Holy shit, cant see myself turning this off until its completed before i go back to work on monday..... Edit got stuck got frustrated and turned it off

Last edited:
I'm enjoying it but it's certainly not a 10/10 game, and therefore nowhere near being deemed game of the century.

It's a little repetitive and the AI is abysmal at times. The story telling and scenery is fantastic though.

As said, enjoying it.

the AI is abysmal at times

Yep. I don't understand the humans reactions, a couple of times they've clearly saw me, but took them a while to say something or even to attack, it feels so strange, unless they are making sure we are infected or something, but still not the impression it gave me. Felt more like a technical flaw to me. Specially cause on my first human meeting they were not reacting slowly that, they were aggressively flanking, throwing molotovs and shit.
Still not ruining the experience for me though, I thought I was gonna hate this game, but I'm loving it, it has the proper change of pace/enemies, the clunkiness of camera and aiming feels intentional and wonderful for me.
Have a long way to go though, it says 40% on the save, I wish I had not looked there :P

It's all about the end experience. I think it's flawed, and if you think a game can be 10/10 if there are no weaknesses whatsoever then I guess it isn't. But for me it's comfortably the closest games have ever come to matching TV/film for plot and character development. In that respect it's such a landmark title for the 'games as art' debate, by not overstating every single plot point or using ham-fisted character exposition. So many other devs needed ND to make this, to show them how to make a genuinely mature game.

Fact is most games that people would rate as 10/10 have pissweak stories but nobody cares because the gameplay itself is great fun. In this case, the narrative is magnificent and the gameplay is still very good - it has dodgy moments but I did enjoy the stealth, being able to chuck a bottle in someone's face before smacking them with a pipe never looked so good. The bow's great fun too.

Comfortably my game of the year so far. I'll judge every title by these narrative standards, especially in the next gen.

Sounds like a great game but Very short as everyone will have completed it by tomorrow!

It took me just under 17 hours to complete although I did spending a lot of time exploring and staring at the scenery. Overall a terrific experience. Loved the music.

Enjoying this so far.

I quite like how linear it is. For me that makes it easier to come back to than an open-world game where I will often lose interest if I have to take a break from it for a few days.

I like the semi-tactical approach required to certain combat situations, it's not just a matter of bashing through enemies like a battering ram, the distraction element of throwing bricks etc helps to add to the atmosphere.

Really good game.

Only gripes so far: the lead character looks a bit too similar to Drake and the cut-scenes when you're killed are a bit "resident evil" and not gory enough.

It's so bloody good.

Currently:

In the gym trying to get away from that super clicker thing that throws shit at you and can't figure out how to take it down.

Any ideas?

I just threw a couple of molotov cocktails at it and a nail bomb. Then kept quick turn running and shot gunned the bitch till it was dead. Just after this though, you get jumped by quite a few infected so make sure you have ammo to take them down too. good luck!

Playing this game is very exhausting. I started this game on Hard and it reminds me of the stress Dead Space 1 and 2 gave me.

I can only play for about 30 mins to an hour then I need to turn it off, I can't take the stress!

Playing this game is very exhausting. I started this game on Hard and it reminds me of the stress Dead Space 1 and 2 gave me.

I can only play for about 30 mins to an hour then I need to turn it off, I can't take the stress!

Hahahaa I went on hard too, so I know your pain, like uncharted on crushing there are some parts mayne!

I'm starting to think about the Survivor difficulty, if its worthy, cause there is also that + mode that you have to play everything again. So basically you have to go 1 time on hard and 2 on survivor!

Its a terrific game, but does not worth the stress for that plat.

I too am playing on HARD. Due to the short nature of this games, I want them to make me sweat and think and take the most out of them. I am loving the challenge of Hard, I have to think strategically and you feel very vulnerable. The AI has its flaws but it's also quite inventive, specially compared to similar games. More than once I've been surprised by a smart movement of the AI that I wasn't expecting, and some of the strategies I have created to advance feel really rewarding.

Intense gameplay, for sure. Loving it. The bad parts: I was expecting a more creative multiplayer. Trying to do a CODwith this setting feels cheap. They could have thought of cooperative vs AI challenges like in uncharted 2 or gtaIV, that would have been enormous.

Yeah, I'm all about harder difficulties on games now. Didn't used to be. I did have to turn in to normal the first time you run into all those damn clickers... I didn't know what the hell was going on.

Probably about half way through and this has got to be one of the best games of the generation for me. Great way to go out.

Yes! Me too - I stop after every intense level to relieve the stress, take five minutes then carry on.

I too am playing on HARD. Due to the short nature of this games, I want them to make me sweat and think and take the most out of them. I am loving the challenge of Hard, I have to think strategically and you feel very vulnerable. The AI has its flaws but it's also quite inventive, specially compared to similar games. More than once I've been surprised by a smart movement of the AI that I wasn't expecting, and some of the strategies I have created to advance feel really rewarding.

Intense gameplay, for sure. Loving it. The bad parts: I was expecting a more creative multiplayer. Trying to do a CODwith this setting feels cheap. They could have thought of cooperative vs AI challenges like in uncharted 2 or gtaIV, that would have been enormous.

Again, agreed, I forgot to mention the AI in my earlier post - the reactions of the cops/military when they realise you have a gun is a good feature.

Yeah, I'm all about harder difficulties on games now. Didn't used to be. I did have to turn in to normal the first time you run into all those damn clickers... I didn't know what the hell was going on.

Probably about half way through and this has got to be one of the best games of the generation for me. Great way to go out.

Quoted mfmaxpower here to emphasise the last two sentences - spot on.

The last time I felt so engrossed in the overall feel for a game was Tomb Raider way back in 96/97.

Walking down corridors and being torn between admiring the view and just getting the fk out of there.

I don't often get scared by films/TV programmes/games but I'm constantly on edge playing this.

Absolutely shit myself at one part.

When you're in the basement of the hotel searching for the generator in the mist of the spores/darkness and then you turn it on and all hell breaks loose. Managed to get to where the door was, opened it with the keycard then needed a minute to calm down cause I was shitting it

Some of the locations in this are just epic. Torn between beautiful and genuinely scary/decrepid.

Naughty Dog are untouchable in terms of being the best developers.

I don't often get scared by films/TV programmes/games but I'm constantly on edge playing this.

Absolutely shit myself at one part.

When you're in the basement of the hotel searching for the generator in the mist of the spores/darkness and then you turn it on and all hell breaks loose. Managed to get to where the door was, opened it with the keycard then needed a minute to calm down cause I was shitting it

Some of the locations in this are just epic. Torn between beautiful and genuinely scary/decrepid.

Naughty Dog are untouchable in terms of being the best developers.

Scared the shite out of me a couple of times too. On my third play through now in survival mode, which I don't think I can complete.

Played the odd game here and there since Pong and this is the best game I've ever played. Fucking masterpiece really.

I've just started. Kinda hate the brawling combat, like mentioned previously here its just a case of button mashing. Had a few moments too where I've been caught in the corner of an L shaped part of the map and been hit left and right as my guy swings at thin air.

The story is great though, those first minutes are going to stay with me for a long time. Emotional stuff. Fuck Spielberg and Lucas with their comment about how games don't offer good stories.

L2 is your friend when it comes to those moments when you're attacking thin air - gives you a chance to re-compose yourself and line up right for your next attempt.

Finished the game as well. Sad I did, as I enjoyed it a lot. The ending is superb for many reasons, one of them the maturity of the script and the way it avoids any stereotype.

I have to say that the moments with infected were, by far, the less fun in the game and though the action against them works perfectly and creates tension, when the game totally shines is when you encounter humans on the way, which are a lot more frightening, and this is an acomplishment by naughty dog, because it is one of the main themes of the game: how is the true nature of human beings and the future that we carve for ourselves.

Started a HARD+ game and anjoying it again. One of the best games in this generation and one of the best ever in terms of experience and character depth.

I love the way you have lots of time to simply wander through buildings to collect stuff. Playing in HARD makes every item count, so it makes sense to obsessively search every room.

And the way they use the pass of time to stress character evolvement is also something we usually see only in films. I think Spielberg (who said that games could never be considered an art like cinema) should shut the f##~k up this time, because this game is more mature and fascinating than any film he has done in the last 20 years, probably with the exception of Munich.

Absolutely brilliant game, hats off to Naught Dog. I would buy a PS4 only to play their games (and Quantic Dreams as well).

And finally a note about the ending:
What do you think Ellie is really thinking there at the end? Does she really knows what happened and decides to play the game? Is she doubtful but prefers to believe in Joel because he's alive and he cares for him? What do you guys thought at the end? It's rich in shades, so I would like to get other views and my friends haven't still finished the game.

I found the ending absolutely glorious. It has a lot of readings and tells a lot about human being. Joel decides to be selfish and he doesn't care about humanity, as he has seen what humanity is capable of, the brutality of his 20 years journey has toughened him and suddenly Ellie makes his live make sense again. So he will do anything to keep her. Kill, steal, even lie to her.

And on the other side, Ellie had a burden for being the possible salvation of humanity, and she decides it's better to accept even a lie if that means getting rid off that burden. She makes a blind bet on Joel because their bond (the parental role both were lacking) is more powerful than their bond to the human race. And the performance of Ellie in that final scene is great, with enough elements to express all that in a split second. The last second of the game and the more glorious of all.

The good part is that this ending even allows them to do a sequel. Because what will happen if Ellie discovers the truth?

Last edited:
Getting the season pass for free, shame it makes a lot of stuff easier such as faster recovery, faster crafting etc, anyone know if that can be disabled? Maybe I'll only activate it for a 2nd playthrough on a harder level or something.

Getting the season pass for free, shame it makes a lot of stuff easier such as faster recovery, faster crafting etc, anyone know if that can be disabled? Maybe I'll only activate it for a 2nd playthrough on a harder level or something.

Maybe don't put the code in until second playthrough?

Back
Top Bottom