The Last Of Us

I should have started the game on hard the first time, like I always do, but not this time...
I started Survivor + yesterday. The game is a breeze now that Joel got better abilities/guns.
70% so far and I almost never run out of ammo. One time I got instakilled from behind, but overall I would have imagine the game to be a lot tougher.
:(

I'm just up to the part of the game that they showed at E3 ages ago. The trailer where they're in some motel looking rooms and guys attack and Ellie helps and then he points the shotgun.

I was expecting something epic like that to happen but I ended up taking a bunch out with a bomb and then another bunch investigating with molotov's.

I think I've robbed myself of something cool there :(

Really annoying there are so few arrows in the game and you can't craft them yourself :(

I save those exclusively for the clickers. Quietly change weapon, headshot, job done. I think it's nicely difficult too as they move around so much.

I'm absolutely loving it, Hard difficulty with listen mode disabled is pretty tough for me and I'm finding it pretty scary to be honest. With headphones cranked high, being spotted, fighting off a couple with melees only to know you're fighting a losing battle is so tense.

There are so many things I love about this game. From not being able to pause the game when changing weapons or healing yourself (I walked into a room with clickers in, changed to my bow which involved hiding then getting my backpack out, which was tense itself, then Ellie starts telling me to hurry up) to the atmosphere, acting, and realistic level of difficulty on Hard. You can virtually never escape if a hoard discover you, and I'm constantly on the verge of running out of ammo etc forcing me to scatch around for supplies constantly, and put myself at risk doing so.

I'm at the part in the trailers with the hunters and the car now, and loving it. The first battle against them was intense, they kept flanking which showed a varied level of AI.

Best adventured game of all time in my opinion.

but overall I would have imagine the game to be a lot tougher.

Well, the last chapter is really difficult. After dying 10 times and being so frustrated, I runned like a mad man and killed everyone with
the flamethrower.

I will never get bored to play this game. It is really special.

Finished it the other day and think it's one of the best games I've ever played. Bits reminded me of half life & red dead, A great way to finish off this gen of games.

final part of the game has more arrows.

i am enjoying more the second part. feels more like rdr and the visuals get stunning in winter.

The game is definitely a slow burner and everything about the game gets better and better. It's quite clear reading some of the less glowing reviews of this that they didn't play the game much beyond the first act before hastily writing their opinion.

Last edited:
I started Survivor + yesterday.

Does that mean you finished on Survivor? Or you can go + even by finishing on other difficulties?

I'm playing on Normal+ after the Hard, cause I wanted to explore more and I'm tearing it up with those upgrades from the previous play, they make a lot of difference.

So Survivor without + is probably the hardest way.

There's a way to skip all the way to Survivor+ and keep all your shit from your Hard playthrough.

Steps:
1. Start new game plus
2. Complete first chapter
3. Save and Exit to the main menu at the beginning of chapter 2
4. Choose Chapter Select and select the first chapter "Hometown"
5. Choose Survivor difficulty

There's a way to skip all the way to Survivor+ and keep all your shit from your Hard playthrough.

Steps:
1. Start new game plus
2. Complete first chapter
3. Save and Exit to the main menu at the beginning of chapter 2
4. Choose Chapter Select and select the first chapter "Hometown"
5. Choose Survivor difficulty

Oh that its great, I hope the latest patch didn't fixed this.

Is it also possible to play a + of a + ? If yes, Imma go Survivor+ fully upgraded on everything :COOL:

The game is definitely a slow burner and everything about the game gets better and better. It's quite clear reading some of the less glowing reviews of this that they didn't play the game much beyond the first act before hastily writing their opinion.

Completely agree with this. I don't know how close I am to the end, I'm up to
Spring
but it's just got better and better the more I've played. I'm going to be gutted once this is over.

A spoiler thought about what I've just got past.
winter
I wonder if they saw teltale's walking dead and the family who ate other people or if it was planned already. Either way, kinda spoilt the effect it should have had on me. I remember being stunned in walking dead... Here I kinda saw it coming as soon as that main guy spoke with the dead deer. Just his creepy voice had me thinking 'hmmm eats people'.

Last edited:
I don't know how any of you could do the later parts on anything higher than Normal.

The final part I died so many times though admittedly I didn't learn from my mistakes for so long.

I don't know how any of you could do the later parts on anything higher than Normal.

The final part I died so many times though admittedly I didn't learn from my mistakes for so long.

Blimey this doesn't sound too promising for my game, I'm around 40% of the way through and on Hard I'm scratching around for anything I can find, mostly with barely a few shots of ammo and low on health. Any materials I find go on med kits rather than equipment half the time. You can barely escape from a melee encounter without being injured so I dread to think how tough it'll be at the end of the game.

My first run at the game was on hard and I had to really think before acting. You have to really work your way and try to beat them 1 by 1, minimizing contact. Use your molotov and bombs ONLY to beat groups. A bomb or molotov used in an individual is a waste of items.

I thought this need to plan your act made the game brilliant and tense, making each action meaningful compared to most of the games out there. Still, I managed to beat most of the "infected" zones towards the end without shooting any bullet. Make good use of diversion tactics!

Yeah definitely best to try to just avoid confrontation and sneak past... Or in some cases run screaming for the exit.

You should not waste materials on medkits.
With low health, you always force yourself to think to find the stealthiest solution.
Always start with stealth kills (always welcome) then you can try to go around groups.

Yeah definitely best to try to just avoid confrontation and sneak past... Or in some cases run screaming for the exit.

This + what Drekkard said. When I came up against bloaters, I'd almost always try to make a run for it. Or at the very least, stealth kill as many runners and clickers with shivs, then make a run for it before the bloater sees me.

I spent all my nail bombs and molotovs on groups of infected, and smoke bombs always for humans. The rest of my materials were for shivs (for stealth kills) and med kits.

I found that I didn't ever have enough tools to upgrade my guns though, so ended the game with few upgraded weapons.

Funny, I just finished it now too. I spaced it out over a few nights and glad I did as it felt more epic. Gutted it's all over now. Even though I'll play it again.

Also agree with the thoughts on the ending posted here. I won't go into detail so no spoilers here... But yeah.

Radiation your tip worked, Survivor++ here I go :P
I'm almost fully upgraded if it was not for the shotgun pistol :(
Strange that you have to go trough 3 gameplays to upgrade all weapons.

I can see already that Survivor gonna piss me off, on the first chapter of the game runners can already catch you.

upgrading guns makes a huge difference. i found it a very good game but i am not into dark claustrophic corridors, i much prefer outdoor fights like in rdr. Bow was myu fav weapon.

A welcome change of pace from the uncharted saga which felt a bit stale but naughty dog has to free up their game at some point in the future.

The love for this game in this thread is pretty universal but I wondered last night (as I finally escaped the Hotel!) - what ONE thing would improve it?

For me it would be that the ammo, materials etc would be a bit more random.

At the moment it feels to me that there's clues as to what lies ahead based on the amount of stuff you pick up before a major confrontation.

If not that then the fact sometimes I can put a direct hit on an uninfected human 4 or 5 times with a shot gun before they finally die.

At the end of the game did anyone else just shoot the unarmed doctors? I was pissed off from the soldiers in the corridor so i let rip
maybe i shouldnt have

At the end of the game did anyone else just shoot the unarmed doctors? I was pissed off from the soldiers in the corridor so i let rip
maybe i shouldnt have

Yup
I found that last part pretty difficult as I had no arrows or shivs left so couldn't pick guys off silently. When I did I had to strangle so kept being caught by a passer by and then would die.
By the time I got to the doctors I just burst in with the machine gun I'd picked up, saw the doctor point something at me (I've read now it's his scalpel) and thought it was a gun so just started firing.

Then the woman said something so in my rage I whipped out the flamethrower and made them both toasty. I had a feeling that if I let them live, maybe it would cause shit during the esce like an alarm trips and the ending could change. Like maybe we both die escaping or just Joel dies and then were told the doctors managed to do their thing to Ellie and now they can start on a cure... And credits roll.

I wanted the selfish happy ending where she lives and Joel saves her, so they had to be silenced.

I'm kinda guessing that's the reaction Naughty Dog wanted, for me to be pissed off and so after I look back and feel ashamed. Even more so when Joel killed Marlene because she would come after them. It's the same logic I had for the docs. What was it they said a few times.... Endure to survive?

That was probably the last brain surgeon alive in the world lol. I'm a dick.

Think my save game is bugged, I'm midway through the chapter in Pittsburgh and when I load it up, it for some reason starts me in a room surrounded by guys who instantly shoot at me, kill me within seconds, then when the screen goes black the game and console freeze. It's done it three times in a row now. I have no idea why the game has decided to resume from that point.

Hopefully restarting the chapter from the beginning will work, but that's pretty shitty nonetheless.

Yup
I found that last part pretty difficult as I had no arrows or shivs left so couldn't pick guys off silently. When I did I had to strangle so kept being caught by a passer by and then would die.
By the time I got to the doctors I just burst in with the machine gun I'd picked up, saw the doctor point something at me (I've read now it's his scalpel) and thought it was a gun so just started firing.

Then the woman said something so in my rage I whipped out the flamethrower and made them both toasty. I had a feeling that if I let them live, maybe it would cause shit during the esce like an alarm trips and the ending could change. Like maybe we both die escaping or just Joel dies and then were told the doctors managed to do their thing to Ellie and now they can start on a cure... And credits roll.

I wanted the selfish happy ending where she lives and Joel saves her, so they had to be silenced.

I'm kinda guessing that's the reaction Naughty Dog wanted, for me to be pissed off and so after I look back and feel ashamed. Even more so when Joel killed Marlene because she would come after them. It's the same logic I had for the docs. What was it they said a few times.... Endure to survive?

I killed the surgeon but spared the others.

Yup

I stocked up on ammo for the bit just before the surgeons and literally Rambo'd the whole room of soldiers - must've at least been 10 soldiers.

I'm coming close to the end of this now, it's strange but the gameplay is basically a cross between metal gear solid and Unchartered, but the sheer polish and storytelling is extraordinary. Every time I play it, I end up playing for miles longer than I intended because I always want to see what's coming next.

It's tough though. On hard, hearing mode disabled, I'm around 75% of the way through and my stats say I've been killed 50 times.....it's those clickers when you get caught and surrounded in tight spaces. All they need to do is get close enough to grab you and it's curtains.

Amazing game though. Fighting some dude, I heard Ellie behind me, and suddenly notice she's hanging off the guy's neck stopping him from jumping me. So many moments like that.

Back
Top Bottom