The Last Of Us

I think that what they have in common is basically:
- The main character is a bit samey in terms of looks to Nathan Drake.
- The attention to detail.
- The color palette, while being a bit darker here and with more profusion of greys, still has the reds, greens and lightning that make Uncharted so unique in the Sony catalogue, but that's because they share the same engine and of course they look a bit similar.

But that's about it. I'm finishing my second playthrough. Amazing game.

I noticed a small detail which is awesome! Only read if you've reached FALL.

In the store at Pittsburg, Henry (the black guy who travels with his brother Sam) gets angry with his brother because he wants to take a robot toy (some kind of transformer).

Later on, we see that Ellie took it and gives it to Sam, who ditches it because he has more urgent things to manage by then.

Well, on my second playthrough, I noticed that Henry and Sam left the toy store, and the robot was on the floor. Then I saw that Ellie went nearby the robot and stood there. I thought "wow, she will take it!".

But no, she doesn't. At least while you are looking at her! Then I looked elsewhere, turning my back to it and leaving the store. I quickly turned back again but by then Ellie was already walking outside the store and the robot was gone.

So, Ellie waits for no one to see it then she takes the robot. What an incredible attention to detail!

As many of you say, there are a lot of details that make the Joel-Ellie story shine so big. It's all those things she says here and there in the different locations, her comments to your actions, etc...

For all those things and the way they create that bond, slowly, through contextual things, this is a masterpiece. And it is because it's all subtle, you can miss a lot of things that on your second playthrough make you think "this people are sick, they have developed that?". This robot thing is an example of it.

Melee combat is really like Unchartered, just a bit more detailed. Also the characters chatting to themselves while wandering around is similar too.

In the store at Pittsburg, Henry (the black guy who travels with his brother Sam) gets angry with his brother because he wants to take a robot toy (some kind of transformer).

Later on, we see that Ellie took it and gives it to Sam, who ditches it because he has more urgent things to manage by then.

Well, on my second playthrough, I noticed that Henry and Sam left the toy store, and the robot was on the floor. Then I saw that Ellie went nearby the robot and stood there. I thought "wow, she will take it!".

But no, she doesn't. At least while you are looking at her! Then I looked elsewhere, turning my back to it and leaving the store. I quickly turned back again but by then Ellie was already walking outside the store and the robot was gone.

So, Ellie waits for no one to see it then she takes the robot. What an incredible attention to detail!

As many of you say, there are a lot of details that make the Joel-Ellie story shine so big. It's all those things she says here and there in the different locations, her comments to your actions, etc...

For all those things and the way they create that bond, slowly, through contextual things, this is a masterpiece. And it is because it's all subtle, you can miss a lot of things that on your second playthrough make you think "this people are sick, they have developed that?". This robot thing is an example of it.

The most amazing detail I saw was when you play with Ellie, press select and check the stuff on her backpack

Finished it at the weekend. Best game I've played in years, probably since Half life.

Utter genius, amazing storytelling, artwork, even music. They deserve every award due to them.

Finished it too. Weighed in at 21 hours of the best game I've ever played.

I shot all the surgeons too. Felt bad afterwards as they're trying to save mankind after all.

All in all, I loved the ending. I like how Joel needed to lie to Ellie to get her to go with him, shows a much grittier, intelligent ending than other games. I presume they're on their way back to his brother's place.

It's my favourite game ever, I think, but I hope they don't turn it into a franchise. It works great as a standalone story.

Last edited:
I think Ellie knew Joel was lying

I think she did too. You can also take Joel's decision to lie to her as a self-motivated decision, or one to try and give Ellie a better, guilt free life. He basically saved her when there was no guarantee her sacrifice would have worked in terms of finding a vaccine, but I think that Ellie wouldn't see it that way.

The clever part of the ending is that despite Joel seeming selfish in keeping her alive almost as a replacement for his daughter, his lie was him acting like a parent, and I think Ellie is okay with his lie because she sees that too.

I think she did too. You can also take Joel's decision to lie to her as a self-motivated decision, or one to try and give Ellie a better, guilt free life. He basically saved her when there was no guarantee her sacrifice would have worked in terms of finding a vaccine, but I think that Ellie wouldn't see it that way.

The clever part of the ending is that despite Joel seeming selfish in keeping her alive almost as a replacement for his daughter, his lie was him acting like a parent, and I think Ellie is okay with his lie because she sees that too.

Yes, that's exactly what I think too and why I found the ending so deep and epic. The eyes and general emotions of Ellie's face in that last shot are one of the pinnacles of games storytelling.

By the way, the moment the first doctor threatened me with the scalpel I shot him as a warning for the rest. I could tell the other doctors were very frightened, so I decided to keep them alive, though I was pointing at them all the time.

Just finished it on hard, 22 hours 56 minutes, incredible game, definitely vying for the best game I've ever played, looking forward to a sequel now, DLC better be good!

Yeah I agree, It really showed that Joel thought of her as a replacement when Ellie thought she was going to get raped by David and Joel saved her and called her Baby Girl just like he used to say it to Sarah

My biggest disappointment would have to be that Hard+ and Survivor+ are only made more difficult (as I understand it) by a lack of ammo and crafting items, enemy AI is the same, enemy numbers are the exact same, not really sure as wonderful as the game was played through that it interests me enough to play it through in an even more stealthy/brick throwing manner, I love the shootouts and such so would much rather they made Survivor harder by throwing in loads more enemies and making them smarter, just thankful I decided to do my playthrough on hard all the way through.

Saw these on another forum, apparently Sony produced the artwork on what Britain would look like in TLOU

original1_zpscd657232.jpg

original4_zps289e415f.jpg

original3_zps4d084024.jpg

original_zps0689cb32.jpg

original2_zps3a5e8d5b.jpg

original5_zpsf4cbbb99.jpg

That's brilliant. Love that it's locations across the country. Brighton Pier! The Angel of the North! Ruddy hell that would've been good.

There is a official site with several montages like this around europe.
I think they did it just as an experiment of concepts.

Finished the game this evening, fantastic game which is one of the best games I have played this generation.

Really enjoyed the stealth elements to the game, it was nice to have a game where these elements actually worked and weren't completely broke like Dishonered.

The story was very well written and heavily picked up and developed after
Pittsburg

The Ending:
The ending was very well written and leaves everyone to have their own interpretation about it.
I do also feel they did the ending they did as well so they could push for a sequel, so you could play a grown up Ellie when she finds out the truth that Joel lied to her.
Also with the ending they probably could of done two endings where you make the decision whether to end Ellie back to the fireflies or not, as the story itself had so many moments where main characters were killed, but this would only of happened if they don't plan on making a sequel.

But overall a fantastic game which goes into the Top 15 games I have played.

Last edited:
we just bought a ps3 for a few exclusive titles including this one
:)

we played the "prequel" story (or i dunno how should i call it) yesterday, just got blown away by the voice acting, cant wait to play it again in a few days but i promised to my brother we do it together

around 50% the game gets a bit repetative and annoying, the graphics somewhere looks stunning, somwhere on the level of ps2, the voice acting still blows me away tho

not the best game ever yet, but a decent one

Back
Top Bottom