Sony PSP/Vita

Re: Sony PSP 2

PSP2 is "iPhone on steroids"

Eurogamer has learned that the PSP2 can be compared to "iPhone on steroids".

Our informant corroborated what VG247 learned earlier today: that the PSP2 has a touch-screen and two cameras (one facing in, one out).

Eurogamer also understands that the likelihood of PSP2 being at E3 - on public display, at least - is slimmer than Cheryl Cole at an emotional low.

VG247 went on to claim that PSP2 games were in development in Britain right now and are being made with a 2011 release in mind. The PSP2, like the PSPgo, will probably drop physical media.

Digital Foundry revealed last July that the PSP2 will have a quad core PowerVR graphics chip.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/psp2-is-iphone-on-steroids-report

If you thought a hint that PSP2 may make an appearance at E3 was exciting, get a load of this shit.

Baby steps.

* MCV rumoured last week that Sony “could” announce PSP2 at E3.
* VG247 goes digging. According to a source familiar with the matter, it’s “99 percent” it isn’t an E3 reveal.
* But there’s much, much more.
* Multiple British sources have confirmed that PSP2 NDAs have been in place at publishers and developers for many months.
* PSP2 has two cameras, one forward and one backward facing.
* It has a touch-screen, but apparently it has retained the trademark physical PlayStation buttons.
* UK sources were previously working towards a “2010″ release. This is now “2011″.
* One source would be “amazed” if there was any kind of physical media involved. We’ve been told it “could” be 3G-enabled, as opposed to the WiFi-only PSP go. This bit was sketchy.
* Multiple PSP2 games are being made in Britain right now. Some have even already been canned.
* There have been “finished units” in the UK, but we haven’t spoken to anyone that’s seen a final case.
* When asked directly about reveal timing, one source said, “If the games were aiming for end 2010, beginning 2011, and now it’s a 2011 release, I’d say a gamescom or TGS announce for launch early next year”.
* One source told us the machine is “fucking powerful,” being based on a four-core Cell CPU. PS3 runs on an eight-core version.

Crapped yourself yet? Good. Remember, “99 percent” certainty leaves “1 percent” of uncertainty. Don’t take your eyes of Jack’s hands in Sony’s E3 press conference on June 15.
http://www.vg247.com/2010/05/17/psp2-touch-screen-two-cameras-games-for-end-2010-beginning-2011/

Re: Sony PSP

Can't believe you don't have one. Were you on holiday when they came out?

Nah, I've had 2 (or is it 3!?) before in the past, but the umd-less form factor and as I said, the 10 free games is making it tempting to go for it again.

Just got my PSPGo through - £175 from ShopTo - plus they are doing it with a free £20 PSN voucher... AND, the 10 free games from PSN makes it a good deal in my book!

The Go is tiny though... smaller than a DSi - Its actually a tiny bit bigger than my Desire! Feels very solid though and the screen is great.

Just gonna charge it up then see what I can spend my £20 voucher on... thinking Everybody's Golf 2 :)

Not sure MJ - I think Sony REALLY locked the system down on recent firmware updates.

I presume you can downgrade, but not investigated - think its safe to say its a hell of a lot harder.

Got my 10 free game code last night, so spent hours downloading them and have had a very quick go today of some.

WC 2010 - Actually pretty good, BUT, spoiled by not allowing you to modify the keys. Dont like the default keys and doubt I'll play it again because of this :(

Motorstorm - Absolutely amazing! How on earth they squeezed this onto the PSP I dont know. Epic game - not tried the MP yet.

Gran Turismo - had a big smile of my face playing this. Just kept saying "its Gran Turismo... in my hands!" :LOL: Only played it a little while and I dont think its that deep, but its very nice for what it is. And see below... *

LittleBigPlanet - Not really played this much, only loaded it up and did the tutorial, but from what I can see so far, its really, really well done. Very similar to the PS3 version and again, impressed they squeezed this into the PSP.

NFS Shift - Had one race, seemed shite.

Other games (Wipeout, GTA:VC, Avatar, Pursuit Force, Assasins Creed), I've either played before, or not tried yet. Pretty much filled the 16gb up :(

Kudos to Sony for this though as there are some top titles there and still selling for £20+ on the PSN store.

The Go is a really tidy device - so small, so its perfect for sticking in your pocket now or taking on holibobs.

* Just discovered "Ad-Hoc" party on the PS3. Anyone with a PSP used this? Basically you connect the PSP to the PS3 and through that application it opens up an online networking hub with little avatars etc. It then allows you to play select games with other people online that were only intended to be local Ah-Hoc games (i.e. Gran Turismo).

Gonna give it a try later, but looks cool.

Fiiiinally... was gonna try Fat Princess, but its £14.99 on the PSN store for PSP!!! I take it its not worth this? I tried the PS3 version when it came out and it didnt really grab me, but for some reason I fancied it for PSP.

Not going to go for any of those PS1 classics pbb? FFVII to name one.

Hmmm had a flick through earlier, but nothing caught my eye. Tried a couple when i had a psp before and they just looked so bad alongside other psp games. I am looking for a decent rpg though. Might try one of the old ff games for psp rather than the ps1 versions. Didn't like crisis core much.

Just had an hour or so on gran turismo and lbp. Both are really great. Gt feels so good, bit like gt2 but with better graphics and more modern feel to it.

Lbp is pretty much a carbon copy of the ps3 version in how it plays, very enjoyable!

Did you go for a Black or White PSP Go? Cant believe that the 10 games almost fills the Go up though, thats a shocker! What were you doing in GT seeing there is no career mode as such.

Did you go for a Black or White PSP Go? Cant believe that the 10 games almost fills the Go up though, thats a shocker! What were you doing in GT seeing there is no career mode as such.

White, it's really smart. I had a piano black psp before and it just attracted fingerprints worse than an iPad screen!

I've got some demos and also everybodys golf on the psp and there is about 1gb left. You can put in memory cards though, so all is not lost.

Gt is more about collecting cars, it's a bit odd. You can either set up a single race, time trial or drift trial. There are also challenges to do, loads of em, bit like the driving tests of old gts.

You do a single race and get money for winning. That advances the 'day' on. Each day, 3 different manufacturer showrooms are available with a selection of cars in. Think the idea is to buy cars, tweak them and then trade them online with other players.

There are loads of tracks though and good ones too like laguna seca. All really well modelled. Very smooth gameplay, 60fps, though only 4 cars on the track.

just bought the white pspgo from shopto. not sure why i want it apart from it looks miles better. i already have the original v1 psp... is there any difference at all?

Spunk_of_MJ; said:
just bought the white pspgo from shopto. not sure why i want it apart from it looks miles better. i already have the original v1 psp... is there any difference at all?

Nice one! Did you get the one with the free £20 psn card? Not sure about the differences. The nub is smaller and the buttons and dpad feel better than the old psps I had. The screen is certainly better too, but aside from that and the internal storage, I don't know!

yeah, thats the one i went for... said £20 psn voucher at the top... should be here on tuesday, cant wait to get the psx versions of gran turismo on there! stuff the psp version, its useless!

Spunk_of_MJ; said:
yeah, thats the one i went for... said £20 psn voucher at the top... should be here on tuesday, cant wait to get the psx versions of gran turismo on there! stuff the psp version, its useless!

What don't you like about the psp version? And I didn't know the ps1 version was in the psn store??!

Arrived yesterday, got my code today so gonna load it up tomorrow...

I borrowed the psp version of gran turismo, and hated it. Thought the graphics were atrocious and couldn't believe that there was NO career mode... I mean, WTF!?!?

I am a 'bonnet cam' driver and that view on psp GT was soooooo bad, I couldn't play it for too long. The whole camera angle was completely wrong and the bonnet felt like it was about 2ft wide! Hated it, hated it, hated it!

Also, I just assumed the psp versions were on psn network for download onto the pspgo, cos I used to have them for my original custom firmware psp with popstation. Seems like I'm not quite ready to let it gather dust just yet cos there was no sign of them last night when I went on to register the pspgo...

Arrived yesterday, got my code today so gonna load it up tomorrow...

I borrowed the psp version of gran turismo, and hated it. Thought the graphics were atrocious and couldn't believe that there was NO career mode... I mean, WTF!?!?

I am a 'bonnet cam' driver and that view on psp GT was soooooo bad, I couldn't play it for too long. The whole camera angle was completely wrong and the bonnet felt like it was about 2ft wide! Hated it, hated it, hated it!

Also, I just assumed the psp versions were on psn network for download onto the pspgo, cos I used to have them for my original custom firmware psp with popstation. Seems like I'm not quite ready to let it gather dust just yet cos there was no sign of them last night when I went on to register the pspgo...

I can only normally play racing games in cockpit mode and whilst GTPSP has a fairly decent cockpit mode (albeit without a detail dashboard), I find I enjoy playing it in the old school chase view.

Still think its technically very good (the replays are superb), frame rate is solid, trackside is detailed etc. The career mode is in, in all but name - you just have to choose your own races - its pretty much the same as any GT though in essence isnt it? Race, win money, buy cars?

Just had a trawl around the PSN store and nothing still jumps out and grabs me (have about £9 free credit left after getting Everybody's Golf and a couple of downloads for my PS3).

DJ Max Fever is on the store and I love DJMax, but apparently the Fever game is ruined by letting you hit any key? Cannot believe thats true, but not dropped £15 on it if so.

===== EDIT

Forgot to say, I got the official leather slip case for the Go, which is really nice, from The Hut for £10 (usually £25) with free delivery... worth getting!

New firmware (6.3) available and adds some compatiblilty behind the scenes with PSN+, but also allows you to sort the games on your memory stick - most interesting are 2 categories in the sorting - PCEngine and NeoGeo...

Looks like PSN will be hosting these games soon. Some cracking games on those platforms!

Great news. Have both emus running perfectly in HyperSpin in my cab!!

Yea, I had NeoGeo working - sure i had a PCEngine emulator years ago...

didnt realise Japan already have these available as downloads for PSP users, wonder what games they have? Loved Turf Masters and Metal Slug. I'd love Metal Slug on the PSP, but £22 to download it is taking the piss a bit!

just bought a psp 1000 , case , with a 4gb duo card all for £10 (bargain)

just updated the firmware to the latest and have not tested it and it is working fine

anyone still use these?

what are the best games? emus? etc etc

going to have a read through here see if anything stands out

Still using the PSP Go? Is the white still staying clean? I am tempted to get this before I go on holiday, so it's pocket sized goodness, but I do still have my DS. Also concerned about the white, as I had a white Dual Shock 3, and it faded badly, so its now two tone, top is cream, bottom white.

Still using the PSP Go? Is the white still staying clean? I am tempted to get this before I go on holiday, so it's pocket sized goodness, but I do still have my DS. Also concerned about the white, as I had a white Dual Shock 3, and it faded badly, so its now two tone, top is cream, bottom white.

Yup! And the white is still white, though I did buy an official (white) leather slip case for it, which is ace.

I'd say its miles better than a DS, but thats just me!

We could see gaming and communicating beautifully merged in the form of a PlayStation phone as early as October, according to reports.

According to Engadget sources, Sony Ericcson is working on a phone using Google's Android platform for release this year.

A trademark for a Sony device labelled 'PlayView' - which sounds very phoney/gamey indeed - was unearthed by CVG in June and now there are more mumblings about a Sony cross between a Captivate phone and a PSPGo.

The exciting bit is that the phone will apparently include side-slider gaming controls instead of a QWERTY keyboard.

"The D-pad is here, but instead of the small joystick, the device will have what was described as a 'long touch pad' for analog controls, along with standard PSP buttons and shoulder buttons," according to Engadget.

Also attributed to the phone is a large display, between 3.7 and 4.1 inches with WVGA or better resolution, a 5 megapixel camera and a 1GHz Snapdragon CPU is "likely".

The phone is mostly black with some silver highlights, and the gamepad area is white / silver in color, claims the source.

The device will apparently be running Gingerbread (Android 3.0) and there will be a new section of the Android Market specifically for games.

Way back in May the words of Sony Australia boss Michael Ephraim suggested that the PSP2 will actually be a smart phone when he said, "The handheld space is very crowded, not just in the games category but also with smart phones and so on."

Got my Go and have now got my code through, do you have to redeem the code via the PSP, or can you enter the code while connected to the PS Store on the PS3?

Also picked up Let's Golf, a PSP mini which is down to 99p atm, think it's pretty good at that price, certainly wouldnt pay the 4 quid it normally retails at.

Last edited:

Got my Go and have now got my code through, do you have to redeem the code via the PSP, or can you enter the code while connected to the PS Store on the PS3?

Also picked up Let's Golf, a PSP mini which is down to 99p atm, think it's pretty good at that price, certainly wouldnt pay the 4 quid it normally retails at.

You have to create a PSN account (or log into your existing one) via the PSP ONLY!

That like connects the PSP to your account and you can then redeem the code to get to the games :)

Did you just directly download them to your PSP then Paul, or did you redeem the code and download them to your PS3?

Back
Top Bottom