Sony PSP/Vita

Re: Sony PSP

I thought Legends was decent, I enjoyed that, but from what I've read the second is the same - I've not played it myself though.

Thanks for that in-depth analysis!! :D

I had Burnout Legends before and quite liked it - I didnt even realise they had released a 2nd Burnout game...

I had Legends, and it was just full of glitches, and the amount of tracks and cars was lacking.

I've played Dominator on PS2, and its the worst Burnout of the series.

Am absolutely loving the PSP at the moment, so glad I swapped in my DS for one!

Been getting some rare Asian games on import and thought I'd leave my quick thoughts as perhaps they have passed some of you by?...

"DJ Max Portable 2": First up, the popular DJ game from Japan. Absolutely stunning game, very addictive, great presentation and a blast to play. Much like any other rythym type game, but the way it integrates into the music is superb and on the harder songs you feel like you are creating music. Songs are all unknown (to us anyway!) but vary from Rock, Pop, Classical etc so nice variety.

Game is 'import friendly' with most of the text in English (option on first playing, so thats handy) and is one of my fave PSP games at the mo.

"Boxers Road 2: The Real": Next up, the PSP sequel to 'Victorious Boxers' from PS1/PS2. Played this for a while and whilst the action is very good (and realistic bouts can be had with the flexible controls), the game is very heavy Jap text and as the 'Career Mode' (called 'The Boxers Road') is so in depth - choosing meals, training, sparring, earning money etc, its very hard to understand exactly whats happening. I'm trying to get an English manual insert though...

"Initial D: Street Stage": Some of you may be familiar with this brand from the Arcade (or PS2), but I've never seen it before, but it looked good so I took a chance. Seems really good so far, but again, this is ALL Jap text, so again, not 100% sure what is going on. The menus are a bit more intuitive than Boxers Road though, so you can fumble your way through. In game though its very impressive, solid frame-rate, fast moving, nice controls and good graphics. Need to play this some more to get a better opinion.

"Minna Golf Portable 2": (or Hot Shots/Everybodys Golf 2)! Not played this a great deal as its pretty similar to EG1 and I am working my way through that. That said, this is a GOOD thing as EG1 is superb and this is more of the same. More courses, more players and most important, infastructure online that I have yet to test. This will be massive when released in the western world!

Ahhhh sweet PSP goodness!

Got God of War last night and all I can say is WOW.

Deffo the best game on the PSP and stunning acheivement for a handheld. Gameplay is superb, graphics are excellent and even the storyline is good. On the train today I spent an hour playing it and nearly missed my stop as I was so engrossed in it. My only gripe is that it could do with more save points as sometimes it is good to dip in and out of a game.

Got God of War last night and all I can say is WOW.

Deffo the best game on the PSP and stunning acheivement for a handheld. Gameplay is superb, graphics are excellent and even the storyline is good. On the train today I spent an hour playing it and nearly missed my stop as I was so engrossed in it. My only gripe is that it could do with more save points as sometimes it is good to dip in and out of a game.

I have never really liked the GoW series - too much button mashing, but I must admit, this is a great achievement for the PSP.

Seems that the PSP is really reaching its potential now. Some of the games I have are stunning and EASILY match or surpass PS2 levels. PES2008, Sega Rally, Wipeout Pulse, MGS PO, Hot Shots Golf - all games I'm absolutely loving at the moment and all technical master pieces.

Has anyone seen the videos for 'MLB 08 The Show' ? Looks amazing - great graphics, instant commentary that is accurate (with colour too), auto replays of plays with commentary etc. Baseball isnt really my thing, but again, got to tip your hat to what devs are getting out of the little black beast!

Sticking with the 'Minna No' theme (and interest to JB!), I played online for the first time with Minna No Portable 2 last night.

It was SUPERB! Just like Minna5 on PS3. Played a tournament with 3 other people. You play your hole within a time limit (90 secs IIRC) and then all meet up at the scoreboard after.

As I say, works just like the PS3 - only thing I didnt see was the ghosts of all the other players playing at the same time. Not saying this isnt in, just didnt see it. Though there is a marker where the other players balls are landing, so maybe thats the compromise.

I'd love to know when the PAL version is coming out as I think the online play will be huge!...

Damn wish I hadn't sold my PSP! REALLY thinking about getting another one.

Do it! Ebay search for 'modded PSP slim' ... should sort you out!

Got a great supplier on Ebay for memory cards too - 4gb for less than £20. Dont care about all this 'genuine' stuff - they hold 4gb, look kosher and run everything at a normal speed.

(Memory cards used for emulators, running roms of games I own, music that I own and movies that I own and have ripped using legal software - phew!)

Do it! Ebay search for 'modded PSP slim' ... should sort you out!

Got a great supplier on Ebay for memory cards too - 4gb for less than £20. Dont care about all this 'genuine' stuff - they hold 4gb, look kosher and run everything at a normal speed.

(Memory cards used for emulators, running roms of games I own, music that I own and movies that I own and have ripped using legal software - phew!)

Yeah that would be good, I have done a quick search but there are none on there at the moment.

I am not even bothered about a modded one tbh, just wanna to be able to play Everybody's Golf 2 online. Sounds great. Play.com say its out on 28th March!! http://www.play.com/Games/PSP/4-/3478351/Everybody-Golf-2/Product.html

Plus now I have a PS3 the remote play facility is an extra bit of icing on the PSP cake!

Last edited:

Cool - I'll check if that date is definate as I've not seen anywhere else about it coming out yet in PAL regions!

Just got the HDTV out cables for the PSP.

Very cool, great to sit back and play PES or FF:CC on a big screen.

It crops the screen for games, but i think full screen for vids - but I'm yet to try vids.

Just bought a memory stick off eBay, the seller says he's been abroad and bought loads in bulk, even has the cheek to say "these are boxed so you know they're not fake, if you see any other sellers selling them without boxes you know they're fake"; so I stick it in the PSP and do the MagicGate test (highlight the memory card, press triangle and click "information")... "Unknown", i.e. fake. :roll:

eBay is getting worse and worse, guys like that need to be shot. If I don't get a refund I won't be very happy.

ANYWAY, I'm going to buy one off Play.com now - then at least I'll know it's genuine. But I don't know what the difference is between these (click the picture to follow the link):

Is it just that the red one is a different colour, and you pay an extra quid for that? Or is there actually some difference?

They call it the "gaming" memory stick... :eh:

That new PSP looks good actually, I wouldn't pay the money for it though when it's the same basic machine.

The price-gap in the 8gb/16gb memory cards is because of the convenience, YoungGun. It's a lot easier to have one 16gb memory card than two 8gb memory cards... I was going to get the 8gb but in the end I thought, sod it, £18 for 4gb will do me.

Back
Top Bottom