Sony PlayStation 3

I don't get it...what do they mean by "basic online" services? :eh:

Is it just me, or does the sound of $600 for a PS3 suddenly sounds like a steal?

Yes, that'll just be you mate :D

Sony prez aslo hinted that the console's online features could allow multiple Cell processors to work together. "Users will be able to connect to Polyphony Digital's server. So I want it to be a Cell server, with the number of Cells at a thousand to several thousand. This would allow us to maintain an entire cyberworld, as long as our power supply holds up." (Again, is it just me?!)

Sounds like P2P sorta servers....one thing they have to make clear, will we have to supply our bandwidth to others in this decentralized scheme? :confused:

We've been having loads of regional meetings for GAME recently, and loads of info has been passed onto us.

But tell me THIS, why we having it in Bolton? No dissrespect to anyone who lives there, but why have a huge get together there? Why not London etc. I dunno...(sorry about the rant, had a bad day on trains getting back and forth from 'lovely 'Bolton')

Right, first off PS3 consoles we are getting are gonna be stupid. I mean we're talking less than 360 :( Sony are going to get back to us on how many we are getting, but its not look good. Game are growing impatient also as we want to start pre-ordering. Apparently its a daily struggle, with Sony UK leaving our buying team in the dark.

Hopefully we should start pre-ordering very soon. It could be tomorrow, just depends on when Sony let us know how many we can have.

Regarding the online thingie, as far as we know its completly free to play games online. Unfortunately though it looks like downloadable content is gonna be a big factor for the PS3. I say unfortunately because this means developers are being encouraged by Sony to hold back certain features in games so they can put it online for a price.

For eg (example given at meeting) Warhawk will have content that can be earned ingame like Guns etc. Now if you want you can buy them straight away you can do so. Another one was Untold Legends. You can buy extra characters and even areas online.

Personally I think its awful developers are doing this. Fair enough if they add it later on because they physically couldnt put it in at the time, but to hold back to make more profit after Ive already paid £55 for a blu-ray game is absurd!

Also, regarding blu ray, it also seems the first wave of games wont even be on blu ray. I couldnt even believe my ears when I heard this. Apparently right now Sony are 'considering' this step to make sure developers can get the games out on time. It seems odd right now, so I hope for some more info soon.

It seems also that Sony 'might' release the 20gb model in Europe. From what I could tell it depends on how popular the 60gb model becomes.

Thats my lot. I have to say I walked out unimpressed. I support the PS3 a lot but after the meeting I wasnt happy. Theres a Huuuge national GAME meeting in September so we should have loads more info by then.

I would doubt Sony will only give Game 360 consoles to sell this year, that is absurb, is it one per shop???????? The Irony if it is 360 is making me laugh though.

The DL content is a easy way to make money, MS have done it before and will contiune to, themes, gamer pictures etc, tis money for old rope for them. Charging for content will be common place, at least on the old XB there werent too many things that got charged, alot of the Ubisoft games often got one or two free DL packs. Though as you said, after you pay 55 quid for a game, you dont fancy paying another fiver to open up a centre level or machine or game charcter quicker.

As for the games being Non Blu Ray at the start, that one was easy, I mean there if there is no need for the storage, why up costs by putting it on a Blu Ray disc when a DVD would do, that's simple maths mate.

Holio said:
I would doubt Sony will only give Game 360 consoles to sell this year, that is absurb, is it one per shop???????? The Irony if it is 360 is making me laugh though.

I think he means Xbox 360, less than the original Xbox360 stock levels.
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Adonis said:
For eg (example given at meeting) Warhawk will have content that can be earned ingame like Guns etc. Now if you want you can buy them straight away you can do so.
So you can do it the normal way or the Chelsea way? :mrgreen:
I guess that isnt much of a problem. And I dont see all games having downloadable features. It'll probably just be games like FPS and racing games which is kinda the same on the X360. As long as I dont have to do something like buy teams like Ivory Coast for a PES game or buy a multiplayer mode, I'm fine.

Holio said:

ashmufc is right, I ment less than Xbox 360 consoles ;)

Holio said:
As for the games being Non Blu Ray at the start, that one was easy, I mean there if there is no need for the storage, why up costs by putting it on a Blu Ray disc when a DVD would do, that's simple maths mate.

Fair enough, but tell me why have we got a rrp of PS3 games ranging from $55-£65? Pointless being higher than X360 games if its on the same medium.

I think if it was up to the computer entertainment sector of Sony, they wouldn't place these incredible disadvantages on the PS3. I'm certain the guys at the top is having a huge influence on the specifics on it :(

I mention this before but, although profiting, the Playstation sector hasn't proven to have a huge profit margin. I think (badly paraphrased) $11 Billion was invested and $1 Billion was made (or something ridiculous like that). I'm sure Sony are trying to hit a couple of birds with one stone with the PS3....but in turn, they are pushing away a lot of loyal customers (like myself).

The games have to be priced higher so that they can recover the costs of the console.

TBH, Sony and Microsoft joining the gaming sector was always going to be a double edged sword....on the one hand, you've got their financial and marketing power to push gaming to the masses - but on the other hand, you have to suffer under their corporate politics.

It's all about figures - and at the end of the day, we are just a stat :(

That is why, personally, I'm boycotting the PS3. If MS and Sony can see that they can get away with charging $600 for a games console and $55-65 for games, they will continue to do so with their future products. Gaming will not be for the masses at all :(

Last edited:
The Skinny on Gran Turismo HD

There seems to have been some confusion making the rounds on the net over this topic so I figured it was time to clear things up once and for all. You see when Sony showed GT: HD off at their E3 2006 press conference, they never categorically stated whether what we were watching was a true successor to Gran Turismo 4. The footage looked great, but it really wasn't the kick you in shins then pull your pants over your head while giving you a noogie experience most were expecting from Polyphony Digital... visually speaking. Sure the cars looked more complex, and sure it was running in 1080p, but it still pretty much looked like GT 4, just running at twelve times the resolution with a frame rate twice as fast.

For anyone interested, the story goes that Polyphony Digital was actually not planning on showing anything at all at E3 this year, but then Ken Kutaragi stopped by and asked politely that they get a demo ready... in three weeks. Thankfully the team had created high resolution art assets for GT: 4's photo mode that could be used, allowing the demo to be created in record time. At least that's what Japanese gaming publication Famitsu says is the case. Either way, it's an interesting story.

Sony's press site describes Gran Turismo HD as a prototype, merely an E3 tech demo meant to give a glimpse of what we can expect from the real next gen GT. In Kazunori Yamauchi's (creator of the GT series) own words:

"The wait for the next generation of Gran Turismo, post launch of PS3, may not be as long as you think."

Somewhat bizarrely, the press site also lists Gran Turismo: HD as being available for the PS3 at launch, but then it also lists Heavenly Sword as a launch title, and we know that's been delayed so it must be a clerical error... right? (packaged demo disc for the win!)

http://ps3.qj.net/The-Skinny-on-Gran-Turismo-HD/pg/49/aid/55112#comments

Adonis said:
Fair enough, but tell me why have we got a rrp of PS3 games ranging from $55-£65? Pointless being higher than X360 games if its on the same medium.

Ok, longer production times, investment in developer equipment and tools etc, the recruitment of new staff and departments, as alot of people have said before, a DVD does hold alot of information for a launch game to be getting on with. I can see as people get more aquainted with the machine games getting bigger, needing Blu Ray, but I also see the likes of WE/PES coming on DVD first off, increased cost not due to size of disc, but devlopment time and procedures, say even the cost of converting from the XB360. Remember when PES first came to XB, it was a couple of weeks later and cost an extra fiver!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry, I wasnt awake when I made the 360 comment, D'oh!!! ;)

pes_godfather said:
PS3 16 times better than XboX 360
it says in your sig taht I should respect you, okay I will.

Mmm.. I think actually PS3 is only 4x10^-3 better than 360, I'm sure rockykabir can work taht out, well anyone who can get a C in GCSE Maths :lmao:

pablocoo said:
So PS3 is suppose to be backward compatible...
Any chance it will run PSP games?
lol if that was a joke it was a very funny one :) as deftones said there is no UMD Drive, it would be good if you could plug in your PSP and play the games using your PS3 and HD TV :)

DJ

ps3mispellselect.jpg

:lol:

It looks fake anyway id agree with that. Looks like a Render that someone has done.

DJ

From megagames.com:

http://www.megagames.com/news/html/console/ps3secrethardwarerevealed.shtml

A story suggesting that an Eye-Toy like innovation may be Sony's secret weapon for the PS3 has landed on our news desk and since the origin is a reliable source which we call a MegaGames friend, we have to mention it.

In a time when everyone is heaping praise, and rightly so, on Nintendo for innovating and daring to be alternative, many have forgotten that Sony has a proven record of fresh ideas including the introduction of Eye Toy which all of its rivals will be using in some shape or form in their new consoles. This news seems to tie-in well with the Sony's innovative side and with the idea that the Japanese giant had to have an ace somewhere up its sleeve.

The message we received started with a rather ambitious claim, ...what is the unrevealed connection between PS3 and Minority Report? We scratched our heads, called a meeting and remembering Kaz Hirai's enthusiasm at E3 the answer was obvious; stiff acting by both casts, right? It seems there is more to it than that as the correct answer comes from Sony's involvement with Prime Sense, a new Israeli company that claims to be operating in stealth mode. The new company claims to have patent-pending technology that can ...reconstruct 3D topography without assuming anything about the user or environmental conditions.

If you are still unclear as to how that ties in with Sony, maybe the full description of the technology by Prime Sense will light that bulb over your head.
Prime Sense’s concept is a device, which allows a computer to perceive the world in 3D and derive an understanding of the world based on sight, just the way humans do.

The device includes a sensor, which sees a user (including their complete surroundings), and a digital component, or "brain" which learns and understands user movement within those surroundings.

Prime Sense’s interactive device can see, track and react to user movements outside the computer, all without change of environment or wearable equipment for the end user. The closed device is plug and play and platform independent.

The way our, very reliable, source was reminded of Minority Report has to do with a scene in the movie in which a user manipulates a computer screen using special gloves; only with this tech you do not need the gloves. This reminds us of what Gesture Tek have hinted is possible with XBox 360 but taken one big step further.

Our source became even more specific claiming that the add-on will be available for the PS3 on the console's global release in mid November while Logitech will come up with a PC version a few months later. Additionally we found out that the Department of Defense, has expressed an interest in the technology although that is unlikely to affect the PS3 version of the hardware.

In conclusion, we have a very reliable source that claims Sony will have a PS3 peripheral which will recognize a user and his entire environment as well as his movements and will incorporate them into useful, in-console actions. The applications of this tech to gaming are obvious and if this story is proved right, Sony may yet manage to steal Nintendo's thunder in this generation of the console wars.

Interesting dont you think?

maybe the sensor controller wasnt last minute than? lol. well just have to wait and see.

other news:
Dual Shake may rumble still

Skin of your teeth, white-knuckle and overly elaborate escapes can be made all the more engaging and memorable by the subtle rumbling of the controller in your hands. Of course, having just stolen a Dual Shock 2 from the lonely demo unit in your local games retailer, palpable excitement is something you have in droves, not to mention rampant kleptomania. The vibration emitted by most of today's controllers also adds an extra level of immersion to games like Silent Hill and Halo -- just ask Immersion, they named their company after the idea.

Don't ask Sony, however, since it's a touchy subject. Currently appealing against a court ruling in favor of Immersion's claims that they treaded upon specific patents when they created the Dual Shock controllers (like the one you stole), Sony has come under some fire for dropping rumble functionality from the PS3 controller entirely. An accusatory finger was pointed at the newly implemented motion sensing technology, a move interpreted by some as Sony being unwilling to hand licensing fees over to Immersion. Whether or not that's the case is still up for debate, though Immersion has now unveiled new technology which indicates, at the very least, that a rumbling Dual Shake may still find its way into hands (especially thieving ones).

The "TouchSense" technology for use in next-gen controllers promises added realism in addition to full compatibility with motion and tilt sensing devices. "Because the speed at which a user moves the controller is much slower than the frequencies generated by TouchSense technology, the two signals can be differentiated using filtering and other techniques." Their statement goes on to say that Immersion "offers engineering services to implement the technology within a particular console system."

Will Sony grab this opportunity, or let it slip through their fingers? Is it really that big of a deal?

source: http://www.joystiq.com/2006/06/21/dualshake-may-rumble-still/

Last edited:
I'm really regretting the loss of the rumble feature. It was one of those things that didn't seem that significant, but when it's not there you realise how much you miss it. Imagine playing a rally game for example with rumble.

It's only a couple of months till launch date and it'll look bad to shareholders and the like if we don't see some stability from them. Sony needs to recapture all those lost sales by producing plenty of PS3s...they can't if they still haven't decided on a final build just yet(!).

Time is of sheer importance in any industry - the PS3 is potentially missing out on two christmas's (would it be able to attract the casual gamer's attention against the cheaper Wii and 360?) and it's high price ain't gonna help.

I've heard through the grapevine that quite a few shareholders and analysts are getting quite concerned about the PS3 status. It'll need a huge investment to produce millions of $1000 consoles - and it's made even more difficult given the lack of head start :(

I'm sorry but...another bloody HDMI standard?!

this is getting annoying now. I've saved up for my HDTV for a long time now, and now it's gonna be obsolete :(

I ain't gonna upgrade :mad: - these greedy mutha's are taking us for a ride :( :( :(

If HDMI 1.3 lives up to the hype, perhaps that PS3 price tag isn't looking quite so expensive after all. We'll let you digest the HDMI 1.3 specs in the official release below - have a read then let us know if its made you consider a PS3 purchase this November more seriously.

Are CVG being sponsored by Sony? Are they living in la la land? £425 is expensive enough - having to spend double that to buy a hi-spec HDTV to compliment that is gonna make it much worse.

These w*****s really don't know their market. I'll much rather spend the £500-600 extra on something like a holiday with friends or family or sumthing. Not on a games console!

Last edited:
rockykabir said:
These w*****s really don't know their market. I'll much rather spend the £500-600 extra on something like a holiday with friends or family or sumthing. Not on a games console!
In total agreement with your Rocky... WTF Is with Sony?

DJ

Back
Top Bottom