Sony PlayStation 3

Wow, thats great news................though the previous HDMI standard was already almost double the bandwidth needed for 1080p :roll:

All this seems like to me is this: $ony wants me to buy their $600 console. If I want to take max advantage of it I need a HDTV that will have full support for this; $ony hopes I will go buy one of their $2000+ flat panel displays. Sorry $ony but no thanks. Also, why do I get this feeling most games will never have a 1080p option anyways making the new HDMI almost useless as 1080i and 720p have no need for it(you're not going to see some great new "deep color" crap at these lower resolutions). As for the new audio formats it will support, nobody in their right mind will play their DTS-HD or Dolby TrueHD through their TV............

Last edited:
New HDMI 1.3 capabilities include:

• Higher speed: HDMI 1.3 increases its single-link bandwidth from 165MHz (4.95 gigabits per second) to 340 MHz (10.2 Gbps) to support the demands of future high definition display devices, such as higher resolutions, Deep Color and high frame rates. In addition, built into the HDMI 1.3 specification is the technical foundation that will let future versions of HDMI reach significantly higher speeds.

• Deep color: HDMI 1.3 supports 30-bit, 36-bit and 48-bit (RGB or YCbCr) color depths, up from the 24-bit depths in previous versions of the HDMI specification.
• Lets HDTVs and other displays go from millions of colors to billions of colors
• Eliminates on-screen color banding, for smooth tonal transitions and subtle gradations between colors
• Enables increased contrast ratio
• Can represent many times more shades of gray between black and white. At 30-bit pixel depth, four times more shades of gray would be the minimum, and the typical improvement would be eight times or more.

• Broader color space: HDMI 1.3 removes virtually all limits on color selection.
• Next-generation “xvYCC” color space supports 1.8 times as many colors as existing HDTV signals
• Lets HDTVs display colors more accurately
• Enables displays with more natural and vivid colors
• New mini connector: With small portable devices such as HD camcorders and still cameras demanding seamless connectivity to HDTVs, HDMI 1.3 offers a new, smaller form factor connector option.

• Lip Sync: Because consumer electronics devices are using increasingly complex digital signal processing to enhance the clarity and detail of the content, synchronization of video and audio in user devices has become a greater challenge and could potentially require complex end-user adjustments. HDMI 1.3 incorporates an automatic audio/video synching capability that allows devices to perform this synchronization automatically with accuracy.

• New lossless audio formats: In addition to HDMI's current ability to support high-bandwidth uncompressed digital audio and currently-available compressed formats (such as Dolby® Digital and DTS), HDMI 1.3 adds additional support for new, lossless compressed digital audio formats Dolby® TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio™.

:rock:

sony charge what they like because the ps3 will be so hyped up, and most of the dickheads on here believe that it's gonna be so much better than the xbox 360...i mean WTF! If you listen to half the people on here then the PS3 will be untouchable, i doubt most of these people have even taken the time to play on the 360

danhammer said:
sony charge what they like because the ps3 will be so hyped up, and most of the dickheads on here believe that it's gonna be so much better than the xbox 360...i mean WTF! If you listen to half the people on here then the PS3 will be untouchable, i doubt most of these people have even taken the time to play on the 360
I have a 360 its great, but im getting one of these bad boys too. Then I can make my own comparison;)

that's it mate but until people have actually played on a ps3 then most of these silly arguments are pointless

Slickhenry said:
I have a 360 its great, but im getting one of these bad boys too. Then I can make my own comparison;)

Me too. Cant wait, I like Japanese orientated game & 360 wobt provide that no matter how many times Peter Moore says it will

ThomasGOAL said:
New HDMI 1.3 capabilities include:

• Higher speed: HDMI 1.3 increases its single-link bandwidth from 165MHz (4.95 gigabits per second) to 340 MHz (10.2 Gbps) to support the demands of future high definition display devices, such as higher resolutions, Deep Color and high frame rates. In addition, built into the HDMI 1.3 specification is the technical foundation that will let future versions of HDMI reach significantly higher speeds.

• Deep color: HDMI 1.3 supports 30-bit, 36-bit and 48-bit (RGB or YCbCr) color depths, up from the 24-bit depths in previous versions of the HDMI specification.
• Lets HDTVs and other displays go from millions of colors to billions of colors
• Eliminates on-screen color banding, for smooth tonal transitions and subtle gradations between colors
• Enables increased contrast ratio
• Can represent many times more shades of gray between black and white. At 30-bit pixel depth, four times more shades of gray would be the minimum, and the typical improvement would be eight times or more.

• Broader color space: HDMI 1.3 removes virtually all limits on color selection.
• Next-generation “xvYCC” color space supports 1.8 times as many colors as existing HDTV signals
• Lets HDTVs display colors more accurately
• Enables displays with more natural and vivid colors
• New mini connector: With small portable devices such as HD camcorders and still cameras demanding seamless connectivity to HDTVs, HDMI 1.3 offers a new, smaller form factor connector option.

• Lip Sync: Because consumer electronics devices are using increasingly complex digital signal processing to enhance the clarity and detail of the content, synchronization of video and audio in user devices has become a greater challenge and could potentially require complex end-user adjustments. HDMI 1.3 incorporates an automatic audio/video synching capability that allows devices to perform this synchronization automatically with accuracy.

• New lossless audio formats: In addition to HDMI's current ability to support high-bandwidth uncompressed digital audio and currently-available compressed formats (such as Dolby® Digital and DTS), HDMI 1.3 adds additional support for new, lossless compressed digital audio formats Dolby® TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio™.

:rock:

And for the rest of us that means...............?

Nothing really.

Sorry but displays ready for such technology won't be available let alone affordable for at least 10 years, way after the PS3's life cycle so really this means nothing.

But HDMI will carry Dolby True HD and DTS-HD, both losless which previous ones didn't, so those with a HDMI Amp and that supports that codec will be getting the proper experience, losless sound!

OK, Lets be realistic here. Who gives a shit about all that info that ThomasGOAL posted?
Most poeple here will want their PS3 in their bedrooms. How many people even have room for a huge 1080p TV? How many people will care about the difference in sound quality?

The sort of thing that people will care about are things like, how long is the battery life on the pad, what are the loading times on games, whats the range of the wireless features, etc.

How many people here care about the number of shades of grey between black and white?

What are you guys on about? Isnt the average age of a ps2 gamer 20 to 30 years old? If there is any demographic that will look at these things its them.

The people you are on about are either parents looking for a xmas gift or people that wont be bothered about the ps3 anyway. if they cant even be bothered to check out what they are buying they are idiots anyway!

OK, Lets be realistic here. Who gives a shit about all that info that ThomasGOAL posted?
Most poeple here will want their PS3 in their bedrooms. How many people even have room for a huge 1080p TV? How many people will care about the difference in sound quality?

The sort of thing that people will care about are things like, how long is the battery life on the pad, what are the loading times on games, whats the range of the wireless features, etc.

If you live in a small bedroom why would the distance of the pad make any difference? Planning on playing while your on the loo?

Sorry but displays ready for such technology won't be available let alone affordable for at least 10 years, way after the PS3's life cycle so really this means nothing.

And your time frame is based on what? They are releasing 1080p tv sets this year. Although the signals sent out by television companies arent ready to actually use 1080p yet. Interesting articles:
Code:
http://www.hdtvexpert.com/pages/reality_sanyo.htm

and
Code:
http://www.hdtvexpert.com/pages_b/1080p_a_year_later.html

JayD said:
And for the rest of us that means...............?

Nothing really.

Speak for you !!
I have already a home cinema and when the PS3 is out i sell my TV for by a FullHD tv and i sell my receiver home cinema for buy a new one for DTS HD and Dolby True HD (if the price is good)

tiktiktiktik said:
If you live in a small bedroom why would the distance of the pad make any difference? Planning on playing while your on the loo?
Who said anything about the distance the console can pick up the pad's signal? :roll:

RuneEdge said:
Me. Got a problem with that? For someone who posted in a different thread this week saying "why can't the guy like what he wants", you're sounding awfully narrow-minded there.

RuneEdge said:
I will have the PS3 in my bedroom. On a VGA monitor, or a HDTV if I can ever afford one. If you've ever played a game in hi-def, in your own house, going back to a normal television is like going from sitting on a chair to sitting on a rock. It's just unthinkable. The job I have now involves staring at normal TV's for a few hours a day. When I come home and see the 360 on my monitor, it's almost enough to turn me religious. It's a blessing.

RuneEdge said:
Don't give a shit, as you so politely put yourself, about any of those things. What pointless, immaterial things (unless you're talking about ten-minute loading times or something stupid). I won't use a wireless pad, too much money to spend out on something so ridiculously useless containing more to go wrong and more to spend out on batteries (or a charger) for, I don't care if it takes five minutes to load as long as it looks and plays as well as I hope, and again, the wireless stuff can all get cancelled as much as I care. Most people sit so close to their TVs they burn their eyes anyway, it's not like a wire on a pad is going to stop them pressing their nose up against the damn thing any harder.

How many people here care about the number of shades of grey between black and white?
See the difference between GIFs and JPGs? The difference will be like that all over again. When you go back to normal images they'll seem gray. They already do comparing the vivid colours on Burnout Revenge on the 360 to any PS2 game on a normal TV, where the colours all flash and merge and flux anyway.

I'm very grateful for the info TG posted, if not worried about how much I'm going to have to sell to be able to afford one. The granny was sold to afford the 360, and I only had the one.

Jack Bauer said:
Me. Got a problem with that? For someone who posted in a different thread this week saying "why can't the guy like what he wants", you're sounding awfully narrow-minded there.
You only give a shit about it for the sake of knowing the information. No one would honestly say thats gonna be something you're gonna be thinking about once you have the console.

I will have the PS3 in my bedroom. On a VGA monitor, or a HDTV if I can ever afford one. If you've ever played a game in hi-def, in your own house, going back to a normal television is like going from sitting on a chair to sitting on a rock. It's just unthinkable. The job I have now involves staring at normal TV's for a few hours a day. When I come home and see the 360 on my monitor, it's almost enough to turn me religious. It's a blessing.
First of all, I already have a HDTV in my bedroom so you dont need to explain to me how much better it is than a SDTV.
And in case you didnt notice, I said 1080p TVs. As far as I know, those only come in 50/60+ inch sizes at the moment. I dont think those are even made for bedrooms. Of course there are gonna be exceptions but the majority wont have room for something like that in your bedrooms, let alone the finance to afford something like that for a bedroom

Don't give a shit, as you so politely put yourself, about any of those things. What pointless, immaterial things (unless you're talking about ten-minute loading times or something stupid). I won't use a wireless pad, too much money to spend out on something so ridiculously useless containing more to go wrong and more to spend out on batteries (or a charger) for, I don't care if it takes five minutes to load as long as it looks and plays as well as I hope, and again, the wireless stuff can all get cancelled as much as I care. Most people sit so close to their TVs they burn their eyes anyway, it's not like a wire on a pad is going to stop them pressing their nose up against the damn thing any harder.
Theres no point in giving personal examples, I'm talking about the majoirty. And from what I've heard, all the pads are gonna be wireless on the PS3 cuz the console will charge the pads using a cable they'll provide.
And also, you just said that the games will be more important than the loading times but this is exactly the point I'm trying to make. Its the gameplay that matters, not levels of grey between black and white.

See the difference between GIFs and JPGs? The difference will be like that all over again. When you go back to normal images they'll seem gray. They already do comparing the vivid colours on Burnout Revenge on the 360 to any PS2 game on a normal TV, where the colours all flash and merge and flux anyway.
Did you even read the info? The article was about a new 1.3 HDMI and comparing it with the "old" HDMI. The difference between the old RGB cables compared to HDMI would arguably be like the GIF vs JPG example. But the difference between the old HDMI and the new HDMI is a LOT smaller. We're talking about the level of difference between X360 games and PS3 games which is either very small or unnoticable because of how great the inferior one is anyway.

I'm not so sure. Comparing MGS4 with a 360 game shows a pretty big difference, to me; but I suppose that could be down to the programmers knowing how to get more (or not knowing how to get more) out of the system.

I still think all of what TG mentioned will make a big big difference, and I'm glad they've included it all.

P.S. - Talking of unimportant bits and pieces, anybody noticed (well I didn't notice at first, was informed by a friend on the inside - believe it or not, don't care either way :)) that the disc drive is now an open slot rather than a traditional-style drive? I wonder if that's to prevent hackers finding a way of doing a Swap-Magic style of piracy...

Jack Bauer said:
P.S. - Talking of unimportant bits and pieces, anybody noticed (well I didn't notice at first, was informed by a friend on the inside - believe it or not, don't care either way :)) that the disc drive is now an open slot rather than a traditional-style drive? I wonder if that's to prevent hackers finding a way of doing a Swap-Magic style of piracy...
Hasnt the PS3 always had an open slot? I mean, you can see it on even the old pics of the console.

Wouldn't know, only just noticed it anyway. Don't know if I like it really, seems like a big dust-attracting finger-attracting toddler-attracting gap to me...

360 owners, how long does it take to load 360 games, more than PS2?

Because all reports from HD-DVD says that loading times for the films are 20-30secs, longer than DVD, and Blu-Ray slightly faster. Let's hope the game consoles are faster.

Who said anything about the distance the console can pick up the pad's signal?

You did? i assumed thats what you meant with:
...what are the loading times on games, whats the range of the wireless features, etc....

Which made me think that the range/distance of a wireless pad wouldnt be an issue as you said most people will be playing it in their bedroom.

And yeah the ps3 has always had an open slot from the earliest pics.

having got the new edition of psm2 and read about the ps3 i am now not getting the 20gb because it loses the hdtv slot and the wirless and the memory stick holes aswell

Walcott, it can still play games in HD, via component like 360, but not via HDMI which only 60GB has. Also the 20GB wasn't coming out in UK in 2006 anyway.

tiktiktiktik said:
You did? i assumed thats what you meant with:
...what are the loading times on games, whats the range of the wireless features, etc....

Which made me think that the range/distance of a wireless pad wouldnt be an issue as you said most people will be playing it in their bedroom.
If I meant the range of the wireless pad, I would have said so. I dont think anyone would be concerned about how far the pad detects the console cuz people wouldmt have the pad and the console in different rooms anyway.
I meant the many other possible uses of the wireless features such as how far it can detect an internet connection from and (if this is possible) linking up two consoles through WiFi rather than an ethernet port.

xbox 360 loads games pretty quick, quicker than ps2 anyway......although my ps2 is waving a white flag with fatigue and i can't quite remember it in it's prime....poor old fucker

PS3 Secret Hardware: More Rumors Revelaed

Listed in: Rumors
Tags: More info/rumors about the PS3's mysterious so-called "Minority Report add-on" (because it's suppose to resemble the machine Tom Cruise operated in that movie) has surfaced. What keeps this device within the realm of possibilities is that it has a ring of realism to it. The secret hardware shares a common characteristic with the very real EyeToy and Microsoft/Gesture Tek. What is new is that the device provides never-before achieved freedom of use and accuracy in interpreting player movements into in-game moves.

Exactly how does this secret PS3 hardware works? According to sources (not ours) the device displays a player's martial arts moves as virtual representation of the same moves to kick enemy ninja butts. A player can also follow on-screen dance moves, with no movement restrictions yet his moves are accurately recognized as correct or wrong. And then there's the ability for players to directly interact with in-game physics via his avatar such as causing pillars to collapse.

But again, this secret hardware is still straddling myth and reality (like Bigfoot), and and when we get our hands on it, that's the only time we can say for sure.

http://ps3.qj.net/PS3-Secret-Hardware-More-Rumors-Revelaed/pg/49/aid/57506

Guess its time for the developers to start releasing game info as the ps3 info seems to be drying up, seems there is not much left to say.

ashmufc said:
360 owners, how long does it take to load 360 games, more than PS2?

Because all reports from HD-DVD says that loading times for the films are 20-30secs, longer than DVD, and Blu-Ray slightly faster. Let's hope the game consoles are faster.
I dont find loading times to be a big issue to be honest! Also the data files on Xbox 360 DVD9 discs tend to be larger than most PS2 games anyway.

DJ

PS3 doom and gloom
Monday 3-Jul-2006 10:42 AM Double woe for Sony as analysts get the knives out, one predicting it could come third in the console race

Sony is counting on the PlayStation 3 to revive the company's overall fortunes later this year, but the console's been hit by a analyst double whammy today as the US folk who forecast get their teeth into the prospects for Sony's next-gen console.

And it's not good news for the Japanese giant, with two analysts double teaming Sony's prospects in conversation with our colleagues on Next-Gen.biz.

First up is DFC Intelligence's David Cole, who told Sony to beware the Ides of November while making the shocking prediction that the PS3 could come third in the race between the next-gen consoles. Cole said, "It now appears clear that this new generation of console systems is going to result in a big shake-up in the game industry power structure. While it has always been clear that Sony's dominant market share was destined to decline, there now appears to be the distinct possibility the PlayStation 3 could end up third in market share behind both the Xbox 360 and Nintendo Wii."

Advertisement:Cole does go on to admit, "We should emphasize a third place finish for Sony is only one of several possible scenarios," before hedging his bets a bit further by adding, "We have no way of knowing exactly what sales will be and which platform will be the market leader." Hmm, surely that's what analysts are paid to do?

However, Cole added, "We say the PlayStation 3 could end up in third place that is a worst case scenario for Sony. Furthermore, much will depend on variables such as Sony's execution and most importantly how rapidly they can bring down the PS3 price." It seems clear even at this stage that analysts believe the PS3 price is way too high, and must come down if Sony seriously wants to compete against both Microsoft and to a lesser extent Nintendo in 2007.

While Cole's dire prognostications won't exactly be news to Sony, the ubiquitous PJ McNealy also felt compelled to chuck in his tuppence ha'penny last week, opining that the console's complexity could be a real issue in the early stages and that that could hit Sony's profits.

McNealy said, "We've learned the Sony Playstation 3 is not just a game console. It's a movie platform. It's also a super-computer. This is now the most complex box that's ever been built in this industry. It's going to have a Cell processor, it's going to have a Blu-ray drive. The number of pieces that are going into this box are even more astounding [than the Xbox 360]."

However, McNealy added that he thought Sony would smooth things out in the manufacturing process in 2007 when it aims to produce up to the one million PS3s a month to meet expected demand. But McNealy once again identified that oh-so-large price tag as a crucial component. Then, said McNealy, "The wild-card becomes, [whether] people still want to spend six-hundred bucks on the box."

But are the analysts right? Pretty much everyone agrees the PS3's price tag is on the swollen side, but is it conceivable that the follow-up to current-gen's best seller might fall to third in the console battle? Your thoughts are welcome in the comments field below.

Do these guys get paid for this? There is nothing said that any of us didnt already know anyway. What a non piece of news from whatever site this was originally posted on.

Back
Top Bottom