Sony PlayStation 3

Jack Bauer has woken up!!!

No ego's here mate im just saying what I think and thats what you do on Forums......

DJ

LemonJelly said:
:shock: :shock: :shock:

For all of our foreign friends on the forum trying to learn English, what Adonis is trying to say/spell is...

"Specific"

Class dismissed.
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

ClassicD said:
"Great lengths?" Yeah, because flashing a DVD drive involves hours of work. :roll: It's not hard to do, and there will be plenty of folk willing to give it a shot. The Dashboard update hasn't stopped it either, unless there is some kind of waiting period before it's going to kick in. You can play backups on Live just now, and when they eventually stop that from happening, many will buy a second 360 for their Live play - loads of folk did this with the original Xbox.

Leave dj alone, his glasses are getting steamy :lmao:

We will just see when lots of people are crying saying "I tried the DVD Firmware hack on my 360 and now im getting 3 red lights!!"

DJ

I love unnamed developers, or shall I call them what they really are..........$ony PR damage control "developers". :rolleyes:

The following is taken from the article posted by Adonis from Gameindustrybiz

The contentious triangle setup figure, which The Inquirer claims to be 270 million triangles per second, compared to around 500 million per second in the Xbox, came under fire first.

"It's just a pointless measurement," one programmer told us. "Where's the context? How were these numbers measured? There are loads of different ways you can measure tri performance, and just putting up headline figures like that tells you nothing."

"In fact, the PlayStation 2 had better tri performance than the Xbox, on paper," he continued. "Everyone knows that the Xbox was more powerful at running real games, but if you just wanted to fill a screen with 2D, flat colour, unlit triangles, then the PS2 was much better at that, so it looked great in benchmarks. That just shows how meaningless this measurement is - it's really pointless."

:lmao:
On paper the xbox had a performance rate of 110-125 million/sec in non-game conditions (flat color, unlit, no effects, etc.) and the PS2 had a rate of 66-75 million/sec in non-game conditions (flat color, unlit, no effects, etc.). I would seriously like to know who these "unnamed developers" are and who they are kidding?

Last edited:
djdoc360 said:
We will just see when lots of people are crying saying "I tried the DVD Firmware hack on my 360 and now im getting 3 red lights!!"

DJ

yes but very soon there will be a modchip for xbox360 anyway - no need to brick your dvd drive.

www.devil360.com

Not much on the site, but it does say what its going to be and from the looks of it xbox scene are posting it as a credible modchip.

djdoc360 said:

DJ
How are you going to seperate them from those that already get the ring of doom? Lets face it, it's hardly uncommon.

The cool thing about the 360 FW hack is that it CAN'T be fixed.

MS would have to get their hands on your machine, take out the drive and reflash it back to normal. They can't fix it wit updates.

Anyone can use the hack too, until MS releases a 1.1 ver of 360 with new code or changes their drive manufactures.

I do believe BluRay was a good move on SONY's part. If you still couldn't find a good reason for it, now you got it.

jumbo said:

MS would have to get their hands on your machine, take out the drive and reflash it back to normal. They can't fix it wit updates.

Anyone can use the hack too, until MS releases a 1.1 ver of 360 with new code or changes their drive manufactures.
What they CAN do is use an update to detect whether or not the firmware has been flashed and then disable your whole console altogether. And then leave a message saying, you need to call this number to arrange a repair from the manufacturers themselves. This way they find out who you are, also take your console to replace the DVD drive altogether and also track you on Live.

The big question is, would MS do this...?

The big answer is yes they would they would blacklist your Account and prevent you from using Live. Thats normally what they do.

DJ

LemonJelly said:
:shock: :shock: :shock:

For all of our foreign friends on the forum trying to learn English, what Adonis is trying to say/spell is...

"Specific"

Class dismissed.

holy shit, did I really write that?! Cheers for the correction LemonJelly ;)

deftonesmx17 the article I posted is more credible than the one posted by the Inquirer. The figures do match up, and it makes more sense tbh. If the PS3 was that crippled surely more sites and experts would of been slaughtering the PS3 by now?

I guess rockykabir is right in the fact we have different sources saying different things. I know one thing, the most impressive games Ive seen out of the 360 and PS3 are MGS4, Heavenly Sword, Assassins Creed and Gears of War. 3 of the 4 titles are PS3, so I cant understand how the PS3 is so crippled.

Adonis said:
deftonesmx17 the article I posted is more credible than the one posted by the Inquirer.
How can something be credible when the so called unnamed "developer" made a very clear lie? He said that, on paper the PS2 had a higher tri performance rate than the Xbox which is copmplete bullshit. Like I said Xbox = 110-125 million/sec while PS2 = 66-75 million/sec. That information can be found all over the web.

As for your impressive games list, you need to think about time of release.
Assassins Creed has a date of TBA 2007
Heavenly Sword has a date of TBA ?
MGS4 has a date of of TBA 2007

Gears of war by contrast has a date of Q4 2006

Last edited:
jumbo said:

I do believe BluRay was a good move on SONY's part. If you still couldn't find a good reason for it, now you got it.

No one can speculate if Blue Ray is a good idea until it takes off. You see if it fails then the PS3 basically fails with it, but if it is successful it will really push the sales of PS3 through the roof because if it has decent playback people will rush to get one at a fraction of the price of a stand alone Blue Ray player. So the jury has to remain out as to which way Joe Public and the industry as a whole goes.

deftonesmx17 said:
How can something be credible when the so called unnamed "developer" made a very clear lie? He said that, on paper the PS2 had a higher tri performance rate than the Xbox which is copmplete bullshit. Like I said Xbox = 110-125 million/sec while PS2 = 66-75 million/sec. That information can be found all over the web.

As for your impressive games list, you need to think about time of release.
Assassins Creed has a date of TBA 2007
Heavenly Sword has a date of TBA ?
MGS4 has a date of of TBA 2007

Gears of war by contrast has a date of Q4 2006

I dont think release date has anything to do with it. Assassins Creed and Heavenly sword were playable at E3, and we can always trust Kojima with the MGS series to look as good as the early trailers. So if anything the prolonged release dates will mean more time to work on the game making it possible for a graphical improvement.

The reason why I find the Inquirer total BS is coz the whole article doesnt make sense. The comparison of the PS2 and the Xbox is questionable in the quote I posted, but it again depends on what you use each thing for and why you'd need it in the first place. You cant throw these sort of numbers around to compare stuff, as It just doesnt make sense when relating it to actually developing a game.

Both articles could be inaccurate, but the Inquirer takes it with the pathetic comparisons. I figured that out when it was first posted and Im sure you did too.

Like Ive said, if the PS3 was that flawed we'd have heard it from many more credible sources.

jumbo said:
they would ban you from LIVE, I dont think they'd disable your console. too much money involved.

hmm im not so sure, ive read about an 'e-fuse' built into the xbox 360's security features on xbox scene. A very crafty thing indeed. From what i gather, MS can trigger this fusse to 'blow' in an update, therefore rendering your console useless. Thats what i understand of it anyway.

So the way it could work would be like this i would think.

Someone chips/firmware flashes there console. MS release an update that can detect said chip/firmware and blows the e-fuse if it detects any foul play. Broken consoles would need to be returned to be fixed by MS. Now who would return there 360 knowing the only reason it blew was because they were playing pirate games.

Now if this is the case it would be extremely hard for the hackers to counteract i would have thought, because it wouldnt be worth the cost testing over asnd over everytime it didnt work.

As i say im not sure about this, its just the gist i get from X-S. but i do feel that MS do have something up their sleeves to counteract hackers.

Also would MS risk eliminating hacked consoles in fear of the backlash in drop of sales on consoles?

Sorry for going off topic.

I havent ordered my ps3 yet, should i be doing? or will there be plenty of stock available. I cant be arsed paying over the odds on ebay.

Last edited:
deftonesmx17 said:
But doesnt it bother you that almost a year ago Hideo Kojima himself said that MGS4 (the best looking PS3 title so far) would easily run on the X360 hardware.:)

I would never think that MGS4 couldnt be done on the 360. Why should it bother me? The point im trying to make is that the PS3 cant be a mess if it can already produce games like that. And dont say Kojima said easily, coz he didnt. There was loads of arguements also regarding whether he actually said it in that way. If it was easy to do, then why havent I seen one 360 game look as good as MGS4? Gears of War looks great, but MGS4 imo is better.

Besides, even if it could work on 360, we know it isnt coming out on Microsofts machine any time soon ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
rockykabir said:
Another piece of BS journalism

Although I do think some members of Sony are losing it, I doubt they will ever consider this. I highly believe (as with most cases regarding the PS3) it has been misinterpreted.

yeh I 100% agree, although Ive seen this article posted in many places. I think the statement about a new PS3 every year is BS, although I think other type of upgrades like HDD is rather obvious.

Adonis said:
If it was easy to do, then why havent I seen one 360 game look as good as MGS4? Gears of War looks great, but MGS4 imo is better.
Because when you take away all game playing elements, such as all we have seen from MGS4, you have that much more power to utilize on graphics. You can argue this all you want, but its a cold hard fact that gameplay and cinematics in all MGS's are not the same graphically.........................

Last edited:
deftonesmx17 said:
Because when you take away all game playing elements, such as all we have seen from MGS4, you have that much more power to utilize on graphics. You can argue this all you want, but its a cold hard fact that gameplay and cinematics in all MGS's are not the same graphically.........................

Well im not going to argue, I just dont agree with what you said ;)

Guys, is there a place where I could get my PS3 painted white when its out? Not a cheapo job, a propa glossy finish.

Sounds weird, but its just that Ive just gone crazy today and burned loads of cash :p got myself a Apple mac G5 and a new model Samsung HDTV in white also. (its the R71 range incase you wanna know ;) )

I want the PS3 to go with my set up. And before anyone says 'get a 360, its white' I already have one :)

The only concern Adonis is that you would prob invalidate your warranty, as I dare say they would say you have tampered with it. Just wait till the white one gets released!!!!

Holio said:
The only concern Adonis is that you would prob invalidate your warranty, as I dare say they would say you have tampered with it. Just wait till the white one gets released!!!!

yeh the warrenty would be void, which does concern me as theres bound to be problems with the machine.

Regarding waiting, Ive got a feeling it will never get released over here in white. In Japan the PS2 went through all the colours in the rainbow, but over here we only got silver.

Even if the white does end up coming out, it wont be for quite a while.

Adonis said:
yeh the warrenty would be void, which does concern me as theres bound to be problems with the machine.

Regarding waiting, Ive got a feeling it will never get released over here in white. In Japan the PS2 went through all the colours in the rainbow, but over here we only got silver.

Even if the white does end up coming out, it wont be for quite a while.
If the PS3 is really 100% region free and you own an HDTV; I dont see why it would be any different than the PSP. You could own a NTSC-J system anways if they make colors not sold elsewhere. :)

deftonesmx17 said:
If the PS3 is really 100% region free and you own an HDTV; I dont see why it would be any different than the PSP. You could own a NTSC-J system anways if they make colors not sold elsewhere. :)

but doesnt that effect the wifi? thats the case with Japanese PSP's anyway. Theres always the worry over movies being region specific also.

Dar, cheers for the offer but you can keep that white stuff for yourself ;)

At the end of the day, graphics are graphics.

Ill be quite happy to be playing games that look as good as Fight Night, Gears of War and Ghost Recon for the next 4 or 5 years. Its gameplay what matters, im sick of playing stupid FPS's that are all the same apart from 'holy shit, that alien has FOUR heads!!!'.

Theres nowhere near the level of innovation needed in the games industry today, the fact that the most impressive game gameplay wise ive played on the 360 so far is a ping pong game explains a lot why i ran out and pre-ordered a Wii as soon as i saw the innovative and unique things it could do. People say 'but the graphics only look a little better than the original xbox!', so what? if the games are good i dont care what the graphics are like.

Final Fantasy 7 and many other PSOne titles are still regarded as some of the best titles released for consoles, and look at the graphics! I would quite gladly play FF7, MGS1, Ape Escape etc over 90% of the titles released on 360 and PS3. Im not knocking the 360 or the PS3 but for all of the massive leaps in technology there hasnt been a heck of a lot of advances in things that improve gameplay in my opinion.

Good games are hard to come by, good graphics arent.

More PS3 Good News: PS3 Basic Online Services Will Be FREE

The PS3 Good News Department is on a hot streak! Today's news from the bright side says there will be no charge for basic online services for the PS3. According to Sony Computer Entertainment president Ken Kutaragi, even though the company expects to earn healthy revenues from the sale of downloadable content for the PS3, basic online services will be FREE. (Is it just me, or does the sound of $600 for a PS3 suddenly sounds like a steal?)

"On the PS3, basic services will be taken for granted while content will be the bread and butter of our business." The PS3's network services will be available starting on the day of the console's launch. The company expects consumers to switch to digitally delivered content within one to two years.

Sony prez aslo hinted that the console's online features could allow multiple Cell processors to work together. "Users will be able to connect to Polyphony Digital's server. So I want it to be a Cell server, with the number of Cells at a thousand to several thousand. This would allow us to maintain an entire cyberworld, as long as our power supply holds up." (Again, is it just me?!)

http://ps3.qj.net/More-PS3-Good-News-PS3-Basic-Online-Services-Will-Be-FREE/pg/49/aid/54767

Back
Top Bottom