Sony PlayStation 3

Adonis said:
Sorry mate, but Ive read official documents regarding Sonys financial year and it totally differs. Guess we have different sources.
Care to share those docs? Source maybe?

Jack Bauer said:
Also, surely this means that several businesses will go bankrupt - won't they try to sue Sony to death? And won't they stand quite a good chance of succeeding?
Considering they owe Immersion $91 million and they keep appealing it and making that number higher each time they lose; I don't think judges care much for $ony right now.

Last edited:
Adonis said:
Sorry mate, but Ive read official documents regarding Sonys financial year and it totally differs. Guess we have different sources.

Financial reports can be set out in different ways. A company may be recording losses but it may be down to several issues (end of tax year etc..). As mentioned previously, Sony's situation is not as clearcut as people make it out to be. In some of their sectors, they are recording massive profits - and in some, it is not the case.

From what I understand, the Computer Entertainment sector had recorded profits but the margin wasn't as high as the shareholders expected. It was hinted that the PS3 will resolve a number of these issues - one aspect which was considered behind the scenes (although never actually documented) was the resolution of second hand game sales.

If true, the licensing system will massively cut down piracy too - which has been a cancer of the games industry.

Of course it's all speculation, but lets not forget Sony's past (understandable but unbelieveably drastic) attempts in reducing piracy: mega DRMing of their MP3 players and the whole Root Kit fiasco.

But if you ask me, that Gamesradar news is BS.....it hasn't been mentioned in any other major game news sites.

deftonesmx17 said:
Care to share those docs? Source maybe?

I'll try my best to find you a source, but I reckon the easiest way is to head to 1up. I think they have a news report on it. But I think rockykabir's explanation is spot on. Your link shows a forcast of a quarterly income, im not too sure if its over the whole year?

anyhows, like I said from what I read they're fine right now. They're, however, not gonna be fine for the next 2ish years or so due to the expense of the PS3. But I expect them to make a full recovery.

BUT

If Sony stop preowned games they can fuck off. Not only will I hate them due to me having to pay more for games, I'll also hate them because it puts every games retailer's future in jepordy.

Its what many smaller stores rely on to make profit, and it certainly keeps Game out of the red...something we cant afford to lose as our yearly forcast showed.

Lets just say if it happens retailers will definately stop supporting the PS3 and shift its attention to Nintendo and Microsoft.

I REALLY hope it doesnt happen.

news from next-gen.biz

http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3086&Itemid=2

According to a UK news source, citing retail contacts, Sony is preparing to make it illegal for consumers to sell used PS3 games. The plan would involve Sony adopting a licensing system whereby gamers would agree that they are purchasing a license to play a game, rather than the game itself.

If true, such a move would be a massive boost for publishers and developers which do not profit from the lucrative and damaging retail trade in used games. In fact, many publishers are furious that they have to spend support money on consumers who have not actually contributed a dime to the company's coffers.

In turn, it would be a catastrophe for retailers, which make a significant proportion of margin from used games. Consumers would likely be less than overjoyed.

Sony, which is refusing to comment on the story, does have a patent on technology which would tie a piece of software to an individual piece of hardware. But technology and desire are not the only parts of the puzzle. Whether the company would be prepared to take on retail, consumer goodwill and, most likely, the U.S courts, is another matter.

One expert in retail law told Next-Gen.Biz, "Sony can theoretically sell a license to play the game, but the user would have to acknowledge acceptance of the license. You've seen this when you install software on a PC. I'm not sure that the license agreement is enforceable if the licensee doesn't agree to it.

"Also, even if the agreement is enforceable, it's hard to preclude subsequent sale of the disc. The consumer could theoretically agree that he doesn't own the right to transfer his license, but why couldn't he sell the medium that held the license (the disc)? Sony can't enforce the agreement against a third party, as it lacks privity with the third party.

"Stated differently, I don't believe Sony can keep someone from selling a disc, even if they create a license agreement. The only way that this can truly be effected is to require registration of the disc with a specific PS3 console. Sony has a patent on such a technology, and could render a disc unplayable once registered. That would accomplish their goal (if they really have such a goal). In summary, I don't believe this is real."

A senior games publishing source told us, "Sony and the rest of us would love to put an end to this damaging trade, but actually making it happen looks like a fight that's beyond even Sony. I can't see it happening, but i hope I'm wrong."

Another senior manager at a third party publisher said, "I know that Sony is very upset about the used games market. But this story seems a bit far-fetched."

Rumour debunked: Reselling PS3 games illegal?
by Bhavin Shah

We would like to clear up a misconception that has been spreading the web today.

It is being reported by various news sites that Sony has told retailers it will be illegal to sell second hand games, because consumers only buy a license to play the game, not to own it.

We would like to confirm that this is untrue. Yes, Sony does have a patent to do this (sort of, see below), but they have already come out and confirmed that PS3 games will be playable on any PS3 console.

In fact, these rumours were actually spread back in November last year. The issue was that Sony would create a dynamic DRM system so that each PS3 game would only play on one physical console (the first one you put it in). This would obviously mean rentals and reselling would no longer me possible.

It was then that Sony made a statement:

"This is false speculation and that PlayStation 3 software will not be copy protected to a single machine but will be playable on any PlayStation 3 console."

http://www.ps3land.com/article-392.php

Adonis said:
They're, however, not gonna be fine for the next 2ish years or so due to the expense of the PS3. But I expect them to make a full recovery.
Thats exactly what my article was stating. How if their flat-panel TV's continue to sell and the PS3 does not fail they will recover by 2008, otherwise the core electronics section of $ony is in serious trouble.:)

deftonesmx17 said:
Thats exactly what my article was stating. How if their flat-panel TV's continue to sell and the PS3 does not fail they will recover by 2008, otherwise the core electronics section of $ony is in serious trouble.:)

Oh sorry mate, thought it was how Sony were doing right now.

Yeh the forcast is pretty bleak, especially so if the PS3 messes up, but like Ive said I really dont think it will fail.

I think even though you could say the Xbox was a success, figures show Microsoft never made any profit from that console. The difference here though is Sony would be in trouble if it happened with the PS3, but Microsoft would be fine if the 360 doesnt do better than the original.

This thread is way too serious. Everywhere in the wolrd the PS3 has turned into a big joke. I have two words for you all.

MASSIVE DAMAGE

sometime last decade :roll:

only joking ;)
its..........
- The 20GB hard drive-equipped version cost
United states - $499.00 USD,
Japan - ¥59,800 japanese yen,
Europe - €499 euros and
United Kingdom - n/a still doubts if this version will retail in UK.

- The 60GB hard drive-equipped model to go for
United States - $599 USD,
Japan - (open price in Japan),
Europe - €599 euros and
United Kingdom - £425 british pounds.

Last edited:
That is a true new technology ! :applause:

ps3logos5wn.jpg

PS3 official website
http://eu.playstation.com/ps3/index.html?locale=fr_FR

Thanks TG :) The thing about the DolbyTrueHD is that not many amps can process it. I assume games will be the noemla 5.1 Dolby Digital right?

ashmufc said:
Thanks TG :) The thing about the DolbyTrueHD is that not many amps can process it. I assume games will be the noemla 5.1 Dolby Digital right?

I think yes, the game will be on 5.1

PS3 60gb final design, black and silver, the 20 gb is all black
ps3_60gb_chrome.jpg

Looks like my sandwichtoaster:mrgreen: :lmao: :mrgreen: !!!!

Nice design, bad Price 499€??? to much for me, so next gen starts without me, i have to wait this Time!:(

Back
Top Bottom