Sony PlayStation 3

Just to keep you all updated, Game are starting a 'register your interest' service later this week.

Its not quite a guarenteed service as yet, but you'll be on the list and will get a call as soon as we start to take pre-orders.

ThomasGOAL said:
few new games on PS3 :

- Half-Life 2 (PS3, EA/Valve)
- Burnout 5 (PS3/PSP, EA)
- NBA Street Vol. 4 (PS3, EA)
- Thesis (PS3, Fantasy Aventure - Track7 Games)
- Interstellar Marines (PS3, FPS - Zero Point Software)
- Project Offset (PS3, FPS - Offset Software)
- Urban Mysteries (PS3/Xbox 360, Action/Aventure - ZeitGuyz)
- NCAA Football 07 (PS3, EA)
- Star Wars: Force Unleashed (PS3, LucasArts)

Source for HL2 please?

Umm, why would they release HL2 on the PS3? Thats about as stupid as FFXI being released on the xbox360. There is no need for last generation games on next-generation consoles, but hey, EA is always looking for a way to make a quick buck.

Adonis said:
Just to keep you all updated, Game are starting a 'register your interest' service later this week.

Its not quite a guarenteed service as yet, but you'll be on the list and will get a call as soon as we start to take pre-orders.
:applause:
And DS Lite?

deftonesmx17 said:
Umm, why would they release HL2 on the PS3? Thats about as stupid as FFXI being released on the xbox360. There is no need for last generation games on next-generation consoles, but hey, EA is always looking for a way to make a quick buck.
I've read on C4's teletext that they are planning the game for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360, it said that they were dissapointed by sales of the Xbox version so they are giving it another go.:-k

Actually, I ain't played Half-Life 2 yet, as I don't games on my PC, so I'll welcome a next-gen release with open arms.

As long as the so-current-gen graphics get updated that is. :)

From the UK mag "T3" (Future Publishing - EDGE)

Which console is the most interesting ?

1. PlayStation3 : 578 voix
2. Nintendo Wii : 532 voix
3. Xbox 360 : 219 voix

TG that is pure shite, who gives a FUCK!!! I mean a whole 1329 votes where cast!!!!!!!!!! Quick sell my house I MUST have a PS3 as some people voted in a poll!!!!!!!!!! Keep to posting your proper info, none of this useless shite.

It was a fair post by TG....but you gotta look at the whole story with stats. For example:

jumbo said:
Famitsu surveys

Famitsu's top 10 list of E3 news of what Japanese gamers where most interested in on their site during 8 may - 14 may 2006

1. Impressions and presentation of PS3 controller
2. SquareEnix's announcement of FFXIII
3. Price and Releasedate of the PS3
4. SSBB announcement with Snake as a new character
5. PS3 menu & user-interface
6. Details of PS3 online service
7. Pics of PS3 games
8. 3 versions of FFXIII (FF XIII PS3, FF Versus XIII PS3 and FF Agito XIII mobile).
9. New Dragon Quest game for Wii
10. Pics of SquareEnix games.

It may be assumed that that the above stats is a fair representation of the Japanese consumer base....But the article below hasn't been quoted (stats taken by a survey group):

http://www.yoronchousa.net/webapp/v...e=2&attr_type=1

A translation from GAF

Male

Buy on launch date:4.13%(169)
Buy when the games I want come out:16.25%(706)
Not buying PS3:78.62%(3217)

Female

Buy on launch date:5.79%(14)
Buy when the games I want come out:10.74(26)
Not buying PS3:83.47%(202)

10-to-19 year olds:

Buy on launch date:5.99%(24)
Buy when the games I want come out:19.95%(80)
Not buying PS3:74.06(297)

20-to-29 year olds:

Buy on launch date:3.69%(88)
Buy when the games I want come out:17.8%(425)
Not buying PS3 :78.51%(1874)

30-to-39 year olds:

Buy on launch date:4.18%(57)
Buy when the games I want come out:13.99%(191)
Not buying PS3:81.83%(1117)

40-to-49 year olds:

Buy on launch date:7.91%(11)
Buy when the games I want come out:22.3%(31)
Not buying PS3:69.78%(97)

50-to-59 year olds:

Buy on launch date:0%(0)
Buy when the games I want come out:12.5%(2)
Not buying PS3:87.5%(14)

60-to-69 year olds:

Buy on launch date:0%(0)
Buy when the games I want come out:0%(0)
Not buying PS3:100%(4)

70-to-79 year olds:

Buy on launch date:13.64%(3)
Buy when the games I want come out:13.64%(3)
Not buying PS3 :72.74%(16)

Hokkaido:

Buy on launch date:6.51%(11)
Buy when the games I want come out:15.38%(26)
Not buying PS3 :78.11%(132)

Tohoku:

Buy on launch date:4.03%(10)
Buy when the games I want come out:16.53%(41)
Not buying PS3:79.44%(197)

Kanto:

Buy on launch date:3.9%(73)
Buy when the games I want come out:16.28%(305)
Not buying PS3 :79.82%(1495)

Chubu:

Buy on launch date:5.32%(29)
Buy when the games I want come out:16.15%(88)
Not buying PS3:78.53%(428)

Kinki:

Buy on launch date:2.42%(17)
Buy when the games I want come out:17.21%(121)
Not buying PS3:80.37%(565)

China:

Buy on launch date:6.25%(15)
Buy when the games I want come out:16.67%(40)
Not buying PS3 :77.08%(185)

Shikoku:

Buy on launch date:3.26%(3)
Buy when the games I want come out:21.74%(20)
Not buying PS3:75%(69)

Kyushu:

Buy on launch date:4.81%(13)
Buy when the games I want come out:16.67%(45)
Not buying PS3:78.52%(212)

Other places:

Buy on launch date:6.19%(12)
Buy when the games I want come out:23.71(46)
Not buying PS3:70.1%(136)

i.e. High Interest...but low demand :(

A high average of age groups in Japan are not interested in the PS3 due to its high price.

Similarly, the T3 magazine....how many of those people polled actually know the price of the PS3? I was interested in the PS3...but the price put me off unfortunately :(

Last edited:
Future Publishing also publish all the Official console mags in the UK and many more, there was no need for the Edge - Future Publishing thing, it's a simple poll in a mag about new tech stuff, the 360 is out, who wants to know about it, the mag doesnt even do game reviews as far as I know, I have never bought it as I wouldnt ever have the money to buy anything they show.

Good news, we should have more supply in the UK if there is less demand in Japan, but SOny have nothing to worry about, I am sure it will be sold out on the first day.

jumbo said:
Actually, I ain't played Half-Life 2 yet
Well, you havent really missed much. HL2 by itself isnt anything to get excited over. It takes maybe six hours to complete and only a few parts are worth remembering, its easily forgettable. Its also not really worth a purchase without CS Source, DOD Source, or the mod community. I figure thats why the sales for the xbox version were low.

The point is..it's not a matter of whether a select few can afford to buy it - that alone is not going to keep a console afloat. Look at the N64 and Gamecube...many of the developers moved onto Sony as they could sell many more copies of their game on their more popular console. The N64 and Gamecube didn't sell well for various reasons....but no matter what way you look at it, $600 is not the price of a mass market console :(

I don't know about N64 or GameCube but "PlayStation" has become one of the symbols of modern pop culture, at least here in America. Everyone knows the two little words "play" & "station." Sony holds in their power the consumer perception associated with video games, the exclusivity and recognition of the brand. They won't just dissapear, certainly not because of the price.

Success leads to arrogance, arrogance leads to failure. One of the 22 immutable laws of marketing. Right now SONY is arrogant because they're in the driver seat but they're taking a big risk with the price and their new strategy. If they fail, they'll learn and readjust their strategy. If they succeed, it'll be a hell of a victory. No risks, no change, no success.

jumbo said:
If they fail, they'll learn and readjust their strategy.
Or they will learn the meaning of the word bankruptcy :lmao:

$ony isnt in the best financial state at the moment and if the PS3, CELL, and Blu-Ray fail..............they are screwed.

Last edited:
jumbo said:
i didn't think of that.

i guess that could only apply to MS :)

Soz Jumbo if it seems like we're all gangin up on you mate ;)

Sad to say, it's not the case with monolopy M$...although they have invested heavily in the XBox sector, they have other interests. They are investing heavily so that they can win this so called battle.

For Sony, considering the current situation (their MP3s players aren't the top), the PS3 and Blu-Ray is what's gonna make or break their consumer electronic sector. Although they made a profit from the PS2, the margin hasn't been relatively significant from what they invested (this is taken from what I read in the financial times a few weeks ago - prior to E3). The Blu-Ray will bring a longer term solution to their falling profit margins. Their entertainment sector is doing well though - Spiderman accounted for a large bit of their profits a few years ago.

It's not as clear cut as bankruptcy - but they are placing a lot of dependency on the success of the PS3. The price of their stocks haven't been doing amazingly well either in recent times :( Worrying times..

People have said the same about Sega and Nintendo and their dominance of the gaming industry. It was foolhardy talk to think that Sony were gonna whip em both ;)

Last edited:
You guys are gonna love this....

[PS3] Sony makes moves to stamp out lucrative second-hand market
Words: Matt Cundy

Wednesday 24 May 2006
High street games shops have been told by Sony that there will be no PS3 pre-owned sections in their stores as it will be illegal for customers to sell any next-gen PlayStation games that they've bought, retail sources have revealed to GamesRadar.

It seems that Sony is planning to adopt a licensing system that will mean gamers won't own the PS3 titles that they've paid money for. Instead, they will only be purchasing the licence to play the game and that the software itself will still be Sony property - meaning that the disc won't be the customer's to sell.

We assume that the thinking behind this move will ultimately be to stop PS3 games being resold several times - which currently snatches potential sales away from Sony - and to counter the impression in consumers' minds that games are only really worth their pre-owned price and are not worth buying new.

When we contacted Sony, it issued us with the following statement: "We have made all of the official announcements at E3 and cannot make any further comments at this time. We will be announcing more news running up to PlayStation 3's launch."

Link

Nooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!! Im a regular pre-owned games buyer... it really helps those who dont have/want to pay the high prices for games. I dont want to have a whole stack of games after 2 or 3 years that I never play, might as well let users sell them! :confused: :(

deftonesmx17 said:
$ony isnt in the best financial state at the moment and if the PS3, CELL, and Blu-Ray fail..............they are screwed.

mate why does eveyone keep saying this?

It was expected that they were, but they're actually doing moderately well. Like Ive posted elsewhere, their financial reports this year were very good. Even I was surprised about this, but its true.

I remember listening to a 1up podcast and the host commenting on how Sony are in trouble, and the following week he apologised about the inaccuracy of his comments. I think its because people dont really know how their TVs are actually doing, and right now its the main area Sony are making all their cash from.

But I agree with when you say if the PS3 fails along with Blu Ray then they are screwed. At the same time though I really cant see it failing. Mainly because they will carry each other if one is stronger than the other.

For eg if PS3 does well then in turn Blu Ray does well...If Blu Ray does well PS3 will do well etc...

Flawl3ssCowb0y said:
You guys are gonna love this....

[PS3] Sony makes moves to stamp out lucrative second-hand market
Words: Matt Cundy

Wednesday 24 May 2006
High street games shops have been told by Sony that there will be no PS3 pre-owned sections in their stores as it will be illegal for customers to sell any next-gen PlayStation games that they've bought, retail sources have revealed to GamesRadar.

It seems that Sony is planning to adopt a licensing system that will mean gamers won't own the PS3 titles that they've paid money for. Instead, they will only be purchasing the licence to play the game and that the software itself will still be Sony property - meaning that the disc won't be the customer's to sell.

We assume that the thinking behind this move will ultimately be to stop PS3 games being resold several times - which currently snatches potential sales away from Sony - and to counter the impression in consumers' minds that games are only really worth their pre-owned price and are not worth buying new.

When we contacted Sony, it issued us with the following statement: "We have made all of the official announcements at E3 and cannot make any further comments at this time. We will be announcing more news running up to PlayStation 3's launch."

Link

This was actually brought up years ago by Ken.

If this is true - bullshit..

Most likely a rumor.

Last edited:
I'll tell you what, if it's true and if the prices drop to reflect the fact that you're RENTING the game (game rental prices are currently less than £5 each for PS2 games)... Then I would be ecstatic. I don't think I'd ever buy a 360 game again, plus it would make great sense with the price of the PS3 being so high.

But if each title was any more than £10 or £20, £30 maximum, then that would be it for me. Why should I pay half a grand for a machine that you can't actually OWN the games for?

Also, surely this means that several businesses will go bankrupt - won't they try to sue Sony to death? And won't they stand quite a good chance of succeeding?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom