Sony PlayStation 3

GTHD vs Real Life - Nissan Xanavi

GTHDvsRealLifeXanavi.jpg

So your gonna get Pro 7 on 360?

Good luck with that!

Probably yep, I like the 360 pad far more than the PS3 pad. Unless there's huge differences between the versions, I fancy the 360 pad and XBox Live more than the PSN.

Those images look incredible I must say!

Not everyone uses the d-pad. :)

I have the PS3 version pre-ordered though mostly because of the free online play and that it is the spiritual home of PES. :D

The d-pad is so outdated, I stopped using that back in the days of the N64. With games like FIFA 07 using full directions, a stick allows far more control than the 8-way d-pad ... just my opinion of course :)

I have the PS3 version pre-ordered though mostly because of the free online play and that it is the spiritual home of PES. :D

PS3 version for me as it may have a better community. Plus PS3 is lead development platform.

Had a quick go on the PS3 today, not long enough to try everything, but done one race on Motorstorm and a quick go on Resistance.

The controller is very light, cant wait for the rumble SIXAXIS to come along, the weight is abit of putting, maybe its years of being used to a heavier controller, it kind of reminds you of a cheap 3rd party PS2 pad. The R2 and L2 buttons should of been made into proper triggers I reckon, rather than the button they mad it, though it played Motorstorm fine, in longer races or extended play I wouldnt be sure how they would do.

Motorstorm looked decent enough, in fact it is Sony's PGR launch title I reckon, it seems to move fast and its fun, simple fun. Cant wait for WRC game using that engine though. Well done Evolution studios.

Resistance, run smoothly, only had a very quick go on this, weapons seemed decent, miss rumble tho :( in places it looks decent, others it could do with a face lift, but guessing the game was built optomised for Online play, and therefore it would look kinda bare. Solid enough game though.

No doubt I will have a PS3 at sometime, but right now, I can wait, who knows PES7 maybe the game that makes me get a PS3, just like PES was with the PS2.

I've got GTHD and a 1080p TV and it looks nothing like that. Those renders are VERY misleading.

Funny me and a lot of other ppl on these Forums were playing the games long before Sony even had a console on the market lol :).

Funny me and a lot of other ppl on these Forums were playing the games long before Sony even had a console on the market lol :).

*in super geek mode"

Strictly speaking, he is right. PES came out on PS originally - but ISS on the other hand....... ;) (but I get what you mean mate!)

It will be nice to see 360 degree movement in PES (to justify the use of the analogue stick) but it might tamper with the gameplay a bit too much. I really hope Microsoft redesign the d-pad as the current design is criminal! You should really be expecting those designs for crappy third party controllers....not official ones

2-Days to Vegas Info: Release, Story, Blu-ray advantage

Here are some new screens and information about 2-Days to Vegas, to be released on the Xbox 360 and PS3 next year.

2 Days to Vegas has been floating just beneath the press radar and the devs have purposely been tight-lipped regarding the game. According to Loo, this was done to keep "creative control". They even refused to look for a publisher until they get the game completely finished. So inevitably, the storyline and content were kept under lock and key - which was apparently easy considering Steel Monkey only has a small population (58).

2 Days to Vegas is a third person shooter reportedly inspired by movies´ impact on people. Think of how you feel after you leave the movie theater, though that depends entirely on the movie you watched.

An in-house game engine was used and would feature global lighting and HDR lighting. They also included a "garbage generator" to simulate the clutter on the city streets. Talk about attention to detail. Loo comments on the Blu-Ray as a distribution media, "Blu-Ray solves a lot of our problems."

http://www.n4g.com/NewsCom-38410.aspx

DAMNIT! Just went and bought Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons Of Liberty PS2 off eBay only to find its not even on the PS3 compatibility list and wont even play on my PS3 :( Knew I shouldn't have been so hasty, it had 30 secs left and blood rushed to my head. Oh well, will be selling it as soon as it arrives I guess!

Uncharted: Drake's Fortune - Detailed information on Animation and Graphics

Details from Game Informer's article were few and far between, but as more unseen scans of the magazine are revealed, the information can be dissected.

The Naughty Dog folks are known as some of the most savvy programmers and technicians in the industry - and this hit home with Game Informer after they spent some time with Uncharted.

As already reported, Naughty Dog are sporting a complex animation system that governs movement and combat, and Drake will have around 3000 animations (200 for Jak on the ps2) to play with in when the game releases. One example of this is that every time Drake takes cover after shooting an enemy, minor variations will occur in his posture, hand position and expression, all adding to the realism of his character.

Naughty Dog are aiming for the illusion that you never see Drake do the same thing twice and this can be achieved by a very unique feature of their engine: of the hundreds of animations, many of them can be layered on top of one another. These moment to moment combinations are possible by farming them out to the PS3's SPUs, allowing Drake to display any number of poses, emotions, and movements all at once.

For instance, picture Drake sprinting across a wide-open area to reach cover. His running is combined with frantic dunking and dodging as bullets begin to fly from a near cliff face, He's been running for a long-time so his frame is visibly shaking from hard breathing. Simultaneously he's frantically reloading his rifle so he can fire back. To top this off, his face wears a combined expression of fear and determination.

On top of the characters' clothing and faces, Naughty Dog have overlaid a wrinkle map that might best be described as a reactionary texture to the shifts in the normal map that lies beneath it. In essence, as the joints in the face or body move into new positions, the wrinkle map responds to create startling realism in both flesh and cloth.

To avoid the uncanny valley, the game artists have made the decision to make the game just out of photorealism, but enough in to be emotion laden for that cinematic feel.

All character models and environments are modeled from scratch and not from scanning, to allow for complete artistic freedom in their creation. An array of complex shaders dictate the way light interacts with objects, including some amazing sub-surface lighting, such as the diffused light of a torch behind the skin of a hand, or sunshine shining both through and around a thin leaf on a tree.

With the power of the PS3, the team can create moveable joints on objects like tree-branches, so that wind shakes them individually, casting shadows on the ground.

Furthermore, with the aid of HDR lighting, your character's eye must adjust to drastic shifts in brightness. This means that if you make Drake stare at the sun for several seconds and then turn down and look into a cave, your ability as a player to see clearly will emulate his iris' dilation into the darker environment.

All these tricks combined, create a world that appears almost soft to the touch - from the hair and clothes of Drake, to the refracted appearance of the ground beneath a spinning pool of water.

http://n4g.com/ps3/News-38607.aspx

that game sounds like a system seller.

Saints Row 1 NOT appearing on PS3....

THQ just released it's fiscal year sales and for the 12th year in a row the company made record sales. In addition to good sales new games in the franchises Company of Heroes and Saints Row have been announced as well as a cancellation of Saints Row (1) for the Playstation 3.

The personnel that worked on the Playstation 3 port of the Xbox 360 free-roaming title Saints Row have now been transferred to the new Saints Row game that is coming in 2008 for both Xbox 360 and Playstation 3. No Saints Row for Playstation 3, but Saints Row 2 will for both Xbox 360 and Playstation 3. No details or screenshots of the new Saints Row have been given.

Dj

Saints Row 1 NOT appearing on PS3....

Am I the only one not bothered by this? :applause::D

Saints Row is perhaps the most cringeworthy game I've ever played. San Andreas was good as it was all parody....SR is just shockingly bad as it tries to be real - it's like one of those crappy "True Story" made-for-tv movies they show on Five or the other crappy cable channels :8):

I liked Saints Row, thought it was fun and in many, many ways better than GTA. But yeah, some of it was cringeworthy :D

OGDC: Sony Details PlayStation Network Expansion Plans

“You’re probably most familiar with the PlayStation Store, and what we can do with online games,” he told the audience. But this, he said of the graph, is “our entire scope of services that we’ll be developing and releasing in the coming months ahead.”

There are six key components. Shorrock began with ‘Services/VOD’ which delivers full-length movies, television programs, or music direct to users. “Obviously we want to take huge advantage of our member’s capabilities, and of the storage capacity.”

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=13901

Under the hood: MotorStorm "uses 15-20% of available SPU resource"

Talking to Beyond3D about their baby MotorStorm, technical director Scott Kirkland stripped the hood off the game and revealed how many of the PS3 gears MotorStorm runs on. In SPU usage terms, he says the game "only uses between 15 and 20 percent of available SPU resource."

On how it stacks up with an earlier assertion that MotorStorm uses all of PS3's SPUs, we can infer that the game runs across all of the Cell Processor's processing units, but it still all averages out to 15-20% of total available processing resources. After all, Scott enumerates exactly what runs on those SPUs:

Havok physics.
Determination of object visibility.
Concatenation of hierarchies.
Billboard object culling and vertex buffer creation.
Updating of particles and vertex buffer creation.
Updating of vehicle dynamics.
Updating of vehicle suspension constraints.
Audio (MultiStream).
Video decoding.
Not on that list are rendering MotorStorm's dirty graphics: "We don’t use the Cell’s SPUs in this way at the moment. All of our lighting and transformation work is done in the RSX’s pixel and vertex shaders." In the future, however, Scott believes that "cooperative rendering" between the RSX and SPUs "will become far more widespread"... given enough experience, of course.

That leaves how a future MotorStorm could look like open to the imagination.

http://ps3.qj.net/Under-the-hood-MotorStorm-uses-15-20-of-available-SPU-resource-/pg/49/aid/92150

Under the hood: MotorStorm "uses 15-20% of available SPU resource"

Talking to Beyond3D about their baby MotorStorm, technical director Scott Kirkland stripped the hood off the game and revealed how many of the PS3 gears MotorStorm runs on. In SPU usage terms, he says the game "only uses between 15 and 20 percent of available SPU resource."

On how it stacks up with an earlier assertion that MotorStorm uses all of PS3's SPUs, we can infer that the game runs across all of the Cell Processor's processing units, but it still all averages out to 15-20% of total available processing resources. After all, Scott enumerates exactly what runs on those SPUs:

Havok physics.
Determination of object visibility.
Concatenation of hierarchies.
Billboard object culling and vertex buffer creation.
Updating of particles and vertex buffer creation.
Updating of vehicle dynamics.
Updating of vehicle suspension constraints.
Audio (MultiStream).
Video decoding.
Not on that list are rendering MotorStorm's dirty graphics: "We don’t use the Cell’s SPUs in this way at the moment. All of our lighting and transformation work is done in the RSX’s pixel and vertex shaders." In the future, however, Scott believes that "cooperative rendering" between the RSX and SPUs "will become far more widespread"... given enough experience, of course.

That leaves how a future MotorStorm could look like open to the imagination.

http://ps3.qj.net/Under-the-hood-MotorStorm-uses-15-20-of-available-SPU-resource-/pg/49/aid/92150

Thats something I would expect, seeing as the console is under a year old. I'd be worrid if developers were using most of the PS3s power already!

I just wanted to let people know there is a Sony's Gamers Day event running from May 14th-16th.

Here's a snippet I got from Neogaf:

Sony Gamer' S Day 2007 will take place the next week with San Diego. Sony Computer Entertainment America will benefit from the event to reveal its next plays PlayStation 3, Ratchet and Clank: Tools of Destruction, Uncharted Drake' S Fortune, Lair, Eye of Judgment, Warhawk or Heavenly Sword to quote only them. In addition, the last titles of PlayStation 2 and the future bombs of the PSP (God of War at the head) should also be festival. Let us hope that some very good surprises are also with the menu

Looks really interesting.

GRAW2 On PS3 Gets Lots Of Exclusive Content!

The Ghosts now on Playstation 3. Following the award winning 2005 Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter (GRAW), Ubisoft brings the sequel GRAW2, with additional content, to the PS3.

"Key Differences:

Six Axis features : Controller features used for Mitchell & Cross-com control
SP : Drive the supports (drone, M.U.LE) with the Six Axis functionality
SP/MP : Change Mitchell stances with the Six Axis
SP : change the Rules of Engagement with the Six Axis
Consistency increased between SP & MP: Scope, Movement, Aiming…
PS3 specifics adaptation of controls: Menus, Shoot button…

14 additional maps resulting in a total of 32 MP maps!

Multiplayer Additional Information:

32 new adversarial multiplayer maps up to 16 players, an expanded arsenal of multinational weapons, character customization options, new optimizing re-spawn system, new female operatives and hundreds of new game mode options are available.

2 new coop modes, “Evasion” and “Exfiltration”, to vary the game experience in multiplayer.

6 missions co-op campaign with a fully immersive experience and storyline. Featuring open-ended play that rewards teamwork as you play with up to sixteen players."

http://community.eu.playstation.com/showthread.php?t=88685

there is no source so all of the above is a rumor for now...

proof - http://www.ubi.com/UK/Games/Info.aspx?pId=5587

Last edited:
So would you guys say a PS3 with Ridge Racer 7 and Motorstorm is worth £330?

yes

but ridge racer sucks though

----

the best games on the market so far for the ps3 are, motorstorm, fight night 3, resistance, nba 2k7, oblivion, virtua tennis and virtua fighter. the others arent worth it.

the games i really want for ps3 are...assassins creed, PES7, GTAIV, MGS4, Rainbow six vegas, eight days, saints row, army of two, killzone2, 2 days to vegas, Haze, stranglehold and drakes fortune..at the moment thats my list. :D bit long i know but its a long term list....wont buy all of them at the same time lol

at the moment i got fight night 3 and motorstorm.....im loving it...PS3 is fantastic. very happy with it.

Leaked PS3 Firmware v 2.00 Update Details

Users

You can now password-protect user accounts.

Settings

[Dynamic Normalizer] has been added as an option under [Sound Settings].
[Energy Saver] has been added as an option.
[Equalizer] has been added as a feature under [Music Settings].
[Full] has been added as an option for [DVD Wide Display] under [BD / DVD Settings].
[Photo Settings] has been added as an option.
[PS / PS2 Settings] has been added as an option.
[RSS Channel Settings] has been added as an option.
[Sample Rate] has been added to [Audio CD Import] under [Music Settings].
[Screen Saver] has been expanded under [Display Settings].
The method of selecting an output resolution has been changed in [Video Output Settings] under [Display Settings].
[Theme Settings] has been added as an option.
[Zero Unused Disk Space] has been added as an option under [System Settings] > [Format Utility].

Photo
Additional slideshow effects have been added.
[Photo Effects] have been added as a feature.
Wallpaper feature has been added.
[Zoom] has been added as a feature.

Music
Additional visualization effects have been added.
CD information can now be entered.
Three-speed fast forward and fast reverse has been added as a feature.

Video
Files can now be played sequentially.
Three-speed fast forward and fast reverse has been added as a feature.
You can now select [Zoom] under [Screen Mode] when playing video files saved on the hard disk or storage media.*.
*An appropriate USB adapter (not included) is required to use storage media with some models.

Game

Support for PLAYSTATION®3 format software titles has been expanded.
XMB™ (XrossMediaBar) is now accessible during gameplay.

Network
[RSS Channel] has been added as a feature.

Friends
You can now have multiple chat sessions.
You can now select an image to use as your Avatar from [Photo].

Other
Date and Time is now shown when the PS button is pressed.
File sorting has been changed.
[Help] has been added as a feature.
Playability status with the PS3™ system has changed for some PlayStation® and PlayStation®2 format titles.
To check on the latest status, visit the search site for compatible titles.
[Secure Delete] has been added as an option.
Some PLAYSTATION®Network features have been revised.

source: http://www.psu.com/node/10962

big thing here of course is XMB access in game.
cant wait for this.

"Game
Support for PLAYSTATION®3 format software titles has been expanded."

Eh? Is that meant to be PS2 and not 3?

Back
Top Bottom