Pure Football gameplay mod

Hels The Ronin

Premiership
15 November 2019
Hello Evo-web Commmunity followers.
My name is Hels and those who used to play modded PES2021 might know me from making mods for it such as Ultimate Football Simulator.

Long ago, more than a year, I stopped playing & modding PES after years of playing because of the limitations it had to be a complete simulator, or, more likely, the limitations we as modders had to modify it's gameplay. I setted my eyes then on growing FIFA modding community, and decided to learn to mod FIFA. After more than a year working first on FIFA 22, and then on 23, I bring you today...​

PURE FOOTBALL.jpg*

NO BULLSHIT, JUST FOOTBALL

Yeah, very nice branding and all but what's, more concisely, Pure Football?

Aight, fair question. Pure football is a mod for FIFA 23 that completely revamps off-line gameplay, looking for realism in the build-up, rythm and results of the game. IT IS MEANT ONLY FOR THE OFFLINE. Hasn't be tested with online, I don't know if it works or not, neither do I want to know, and I also don't know if EA might detect the mod in the online and flag it as a hack, so any use online and it's consequences is just responsability of the user.

Can you extend and explain more the list of changes in search of that realism?

Sure I can, in order to reach my goal, the mod features.
- Slow speed overall, mostly in player acceleration and ball speed.
- Revamped physics, ball control and dribbling, in search for more in-lane with real life ball and player physics. Dribbling has had almost all the boost removed, in order to have a more controllable dribble that allows for more swift moves.
- Revamped errors. Now errors depend much more on the speed of the player, the speed of the ball, the time a player has to analyze the play, and mostly, attributes matter much more. While less rated players can still do some awesome plays, they will have much more difficulties to pull them consistently, and having one or more top players in your squad will be much more noticeable, both in danger created as in general rythm and movement of the ball. You will also notice a big difference when playing against the COM between a good team and a less gifted one. Generally, less gifted teams will do more errors and move the ball around slower than top teams, and pledge more in counterattacks, but also depends completely on their tactics.
- Revamped tackling physicality and contacts. While there's some air glitch I still need to fix, where the player will stutter when in contact to other player fighting for the ball, in general, player physicality is much more fair. Players with the ball will be a bit more resistant, and defenders are also more gifted at the moment of taking the ball away from the enemy.
- Revamped positioning. Now defenders should be much closer to their supposed marks, at least in the last third, and there should be much more fights for the ball near the enemy area. Teams that press higher will be a bit more vulnerable behind, but in exchange, they will be pressing real tough to regain the ball. Still, most of pressure tactics will reorganize the teams near the area if the ball passes the midfielder lane, with teams getting back in the area to defend like they do in real life. Still got a problem though, where midfield is treated as a single lane instead of two (defensive and ofensive), and wingers will defend almost in lane with the defensive midfielder, instead of pressing upper into the pitch, so any ideas on how to fix this if you're a modder are well received and you will be credited for it.
- Revamped goalkeepers. Keepers are now much more consistent. Essentially it is Paul keeper EBX, all his work, so check his career & gameplay mod in order to know more about this.

And much, much more.

And you did all of this on your own, seriously?

No, obviously I did not and it is time for credits.

First of all, credit to Captain Kidd, I don't know his user here, if it has, for being a member of the Pure Football dev team and help me out mostly in the early stages of the game modding. He helped me to understand in general how the whole game structure works and where to start changing values and what is each thing for. Also credits to RBS for setting the private discord we used to internal communication, and for being there as a supporter and giving me good indepth about FIFA community and football in general. Appreciate those chats and the fact that you setted up a discord for us!

I started working upon an alpha of @hatesince97 project back when he was in Pure Football dev team, so even when I change a lot of values from the initials one he had, there might be many others that are still there. All the credit to him for helping me to start this project and showing me many values, and giving me access to his work when FMT still didn't make it possible to access other mods values without having the project.

Time to mention the man, the legend @Paul-v The ammount of help this man has given to me even without involving directly in the mod in any way, is enormous. To start with, he shared a project with Locale.ini, that I couldn't find anywhere else that wasn't taking from him, so up 'till the days, is the first and only one person I know that initially leaked Locale.ini. Apart from that, he developed a whole FREE TOOL to mod FIFA that works as a charm. He mantains it up to date with the game updates and listens to feedback. A big applause for this contribution that, essentially, makes modding possible. To follow with, he developed a functionality in his tool, FMT, that allows to open .fifamod and .fbmod files as projects, giving access to ENORMOUS AMMOUNT OF INFORMATION without having to be given the project file, so also big credit to him for this. This is something that is modding changing, since there's no more secretism in modding. Now the work one does is for the whole community, and that's something I found vital for FIFA community. I will also give credit to all the mods I took values or whole EBX from, starting, again, with own Paul-v mod. From him I took, as I said up, the keepers, but also the shooting EBX are his. I think both keeper and shooting are untouched, just imported his EBX into the mod. The one I can't remember if it is his or comes from other mod, and has been touched or not, is passing. But I can confirm I have worked with his EBX at some time, so it's possible that the current passing EBX in game is his.

I have to give credit also to @Anth James since I took the errors from his mod (yet I have edited SOME of the EBX myself, some, not all). His works is also supreme and you should give it a try aswell.

Next one I have to mention is Danielz, which I also don't know if he has user in evo-web. I have taken from him the values in actor_movement ebx related to animations. So, all the AnimationPlaybackTimeRatio values are his, and all the credit for it is to him. Besides from that, I worked with his passing ebx in some time in the past I think, and I took from him many values from physics, which if I don't directly use (some may, some others not), at least were useful to help me understand how the physics work in the game. He also told me about the changes in initfs files beside locale.ini itself and taught me a couple of values to change that I included in my fair AI mod aswell. I can't remember for sure if I took his AI gameplay balance mod as a base for my own fair AI or I started it from the scrap with the information he told me/I took from his mod, but when least, he served me as an inspiration to include an addon that changes initfs files, and pointed me towards the values to change, even if I then looked at some others on my own.

Chan-chan, creator of AI Motion, also gave me a lot of values to change in actor_movement and actor_action EBX, I think. I owe him much cause thanks to him I have a much more polished game with better ball control.

I gotta give also credit to FIFER for making FET, the tool I used to mod until I changed into FMT, and the one I still use for editing initfs, and FMM, the tool I still use up to this days to load the mods I make.

Last, but not least, I wanted to thank again all the PES2021 evo-web community, cause although this is a different game, at the end, the way of modding is the same, so all the knowledge I took in PES, how to try values, how to look for keywords, etc., still apply, so thanks to all the Evo-Web users that at some time helped me to get into modding and inspired me to be a modder, starting with incas or bromi, put passing through many, many others, like Jostike, that worked with me and/or helped me along the way. Many thanks to all.

Very affective credit section, but I came here for the mod files, so show them to me.

Aight, aight, so impatient...

DOWNLOAD

PureFootball.rar: https://mega.nz/file/DlwEHBgB#FlPnXyEel7zL22Ra8JLBhilNPZh_6GsWGt3kL1z_azY)
Pure Football v1.0.rar https://mega.nz/file/mkgEzbJT#REorAyb_YwaDhN7iZMvo-ydaxn8bThlqVeGO-SodNNw
Pure Football v1.2.rar https://mega.nz/file/z9wynaQY#pFP_juF_W1Xa8jwcqAVAIYuc7E7IXFqm9cRKQjduwnM
Pure Football V1.3: https://mega.nz/file/78BlWZAa#fevCgJgn5fy89YKtRzm5mnL6efB71-7Q3kp9ARXDZ44
Pure Football V1.3.1: https://mega.nz/file/P1wkwTJY#qMMuE3BJZtYDV912mbAzLy2QxDcyrBlFNg0AbEOkL-c
Pure Football V1.4: https://mega.nz/file/j1ZRDKbZ#ovB25HJFKt7mwYb8tuJGXafCbghmjyJkxVKe8e-zFMc
Pure Football v1.5 TU 17.1: https://mega.nz/file/P8ggiARI#qk-M1bQbxkT4-03iVaRS5tU33hsh4KsouOQs8KtzuvQ
Pure Football v1.6 TU 17.1: https://mega.nz/file/Ol4RRSLR#Q1zRuY6nIPoBmZefGrFQ4605JHaZFlOBLBNYNnYbJKM
Pure Football v1.6.1 TU 17.1: https://mega.nz/file/j1YHyDzK#OWlFZGtS7RbF7765BXk8isuy2D4r3xIeZduWz_5w3Z0
Pure Football v1.7 TU 17.1: https://mega.nz/file/mhwA3SRT#ogx7uArYqCVNiataif8-mQld5XkDQm6IDWE1Gq8HuvM
Pure Football v1.8 TU17.1: https://mega.nz/file/agQVzLZa#B7ziknknuE3q4CLyz2IMjVAyZLw6BlMq84fTmfjtSdE
Pure Football v1.8.1 TU 17.1: https://mega.nz/file/rwQyFZRT#ioxhyEeZFZ0cejMdCsGoIHDHs5d28zUa7WKvTtoDdoc

Pure Football V1.9 TU17.1(LAST VERSION)
https://mega.nz/file/i5IUVKTb#2JDw3iAXNSDhJ8ob82eI2-ZblnywabzIPmjOmMpp6zA

Pure Football AI & gameplay rework (InitFS)
Use instead of Fair AI addon
https://mega.nz/file/W1IkVbBZ#nXPyL827rP86UnfyvVr547_bOOpBgUUC4IX_m4wg2qA

Pure Football Fair AI (outdated):
https://mega.nz/file/yh40BTAD#awT4bZd-fuQXmJHkV24vmLpqc1VoZbn3tPs3rk9iias

Projects for both mods have been included, for the sake of easiness trying to access the values. My work is open, since when I share something for the community, is for the joy of everyone, not for my own benefit. If you take any value used in my mod, please credit me as the source of your material, as I have made with others.

INSTRUCTIONS
1. Download the FIFA Mod Manager, that you can obtain on their web (just google it).
2. Add the two mods through the mod manager. The AI & Gameplay rework mod (previously Fair AI) must have a higher priority, meaning it loads the last, this is, must be at the bottom of load order.
3.Add -dataPath FIFAModData in Steam or EAapp arguments of the game start.
4.Delete the folder FIFA23 located in C:\Users\(YOUR USER)\AppData\Local\Temp. Having in count that if you have windows located in a different unit than C, this location might vary aswell. This is useful to delete live tuning updates that might be affecting gameplay. If you ever feel that games speeds up, that the AI turs suddenly too clever, or that physics are not working as intended, close the game, delete this folder and launch again with the Delete FIFAModData option.
Click in the downside arrow by the side of launch button and select the "Delete FIFAModData and launch" option by the side of it. Preferably, do this each time you launch the mod.
5. When you get into the game, don't connect to servers at the beginning of the game or when going to play a quick match, remember always to skip and not connect. Downloading the update might change the feeling of the gameplay.

You can use any settings you want, but my preffered ones are:
Difficulty: World Star/Legendary/Ultimate. World Star gives you more time to react, while Legendary and Ultimate is faster, and COM will play more intelligent, but to compensate, your defenders also react faster.
Player Dificulty: On
Attributes: Classic
Duration: 20 minutes per half.
Speed: Normal.

In sliders, just give more ability to keepers if you want (up to you). The rest of siders, positionings and such, is up to you, but have in count that making the lane distance go to high up in the pitch will expose more the defenses to the catchup bug, where in case that a ball is in the flank, passed the defensive lane, the defensive lane won't run back to cover positions or mark any defender passing them, and most of times will end up conceding a goal.

About the helps for the passing and such, I play with pass in manual and shooting in semi. The contextual dribbling and contextual tackles and anything similar is all or most activated, but is up to your likings.

GAMEPLAY
I leave here a couple of clips shooted by @MaikelD Thanks for taking that shots!

This one is made by @xmenx7192 in beta version of the mod, and is made in fast speed.

This another one is made by @Guillo in version 1.3.1, if I am not wrong.

This one is been made by me. Half a match of 20 minutes, where you can see some nice build-up and such. Version is 1.5

We have another one here, courtesy of @Petellius and this one is great to see how the game plays! This one is 1.8.1, and comes with a lot of timestamps so you can see the different things you might find interesting. There are both good and bad things in this version, and although I can't correct all of them, I'll be trying to tackle as many as I can. Some of them, though, like some weird bug passes, that come from errors, are more difficult to solve, but in general, I will tell you that if you play correctly, this errors shouldn't happen too much, and happen in a quite beliveable way, like when being under strong pressure (which is less common in slow speed), or trying a pass that is too difficult for what your player can make. Also, traits like flair matter now much more when trying to do a fancy, difficult pass. Have all this in mind when playing cause it is key to be able to succeed in the game.

CONCLUSSION

So, this is everything on my side, I hope you like the gameplay and give me feedback, I will be reading all your commentaries and will try to make the mod even better than it already is. I know there's still some flaws into it, and that COM might still feel very insightful at times, but with clever defending I think you can still ruin most of AI opportunities. I also know that AI might be a bit difficult to overcome when they defend so much in the back, and also that sometimes cursor change does nasty things and defending on user side is a bit difficult, but still, this is the best experience I've ever had in a football game, physics and dribbling/rythm wise, game rythm feels realistic and stopping the ball and taking pause actually feels much more necessary and rewarding now.

I am open to hear any criticism about the mod, and I actually want to know how you feel about the already mention good and bad points I feel the game has, and any other good/bad points you feel and I haven't actually realized/mentioned here.

Cheers, enjoy and see you in the pitch!

*(This banner is provisional and is subject to change in any moment).

Last edited:
To-do things:
- Working on CB Jockey instead of running back tracking the DC run. Haven't found yet a way of solving this. (Playing in legendary/ultimate helps a bit with this because of defenders reaction being better).
- Revisiting all the error files, in order to get closer to the vision of the mod. At the moment they are good, but maybe they can improve a bit more. Put special atention on passing, reduce the probability of hitting the ball too low, and try to make the game fail more in side/direction hit and, mostly, on power.(On progress, already reworked a bit shooting and long passing but I might change it even further).
- Reworking driven cross into early cross from PES, or into something similar and less problematic. (Need to check on this but can't promise anything)
- Taking a look upon passing power at max bar, maybe reduce a bit the maximum distance to travel with a pass, and make it slower. (should be solved, at least for aerial passes, need confirmation though).
- Taking a look again to the trapping errors, since I've found something, but surely needs more polishment. (Finished and already in a very good spot, but it might be polished further by toying a bit more).
- Messing with stamina to change game meta for a slower one, with more tempo changes, and less constant pressure. (Not started yet)
- Take a look at injury probability, and make small injuries a bit more common, and long injuries, less common. Rebalance injury possibility overall, decrease it when full stamina, increase it with low stamina. (Not started yet)
- Take a look to the curve of shoots, crosses, and aerial passes.

Last edited:
does it work for tu12?
I have it for TU 13 only. The one I have for TU 12 is an older version. Don't know if this one will work for TU 13 or not, but I recommend you to move into TU 13, cause most of mods keep themselves updated for the last version of the game.

does it work for tu12?
In any case, you have my project at your disposal. If you have update 12, an old version of FMT that is not updated to TU13, might let you make a TU 12 version of the mod. Same for the fair AI project, but that one you have to open it with FET, since FMT doesn't write initfs stuff, is just read only.

Have you guys ever dream of playing fifa 23 with PES gameplay? This is dream come true. After playing 3 premierleage games, for me this is the best gameplay mod ever. Thankyou Hels for making such an amazing mod for the game. Try it and feel the PURE FOOTBALL!

In any case, you have my project at your disposal. If you have update 12, an old version of FMT that is not updated to TU13, might let you make a TU 12 version of the mod. Same for the fair AI project, but that one you have to open it with FET, since FMT doesn't write initfs stuff, is just read only.
Was going to ask same about TU12 and since I have no experience in navigating around modding I'll just wait till all the mods I use get updated 🤦

Have you guys ever dream of playing fifa 23 with PES gameplay? This is dream come true. After playing 3 premierleage games, for me this is the best gameplay mod ever. Thankyou Hels for making such an amazing mod for the game. Try it and feel the PURE FOOTBALL!
Thanks for your feedback and I am really happy you enjoyed it, but is not just my work, I put all together and make it work, smh, but there's much more talented people behind this.

Brilliant!! It's the best gameplay I've tried so far...I only have one small detail, that when a player heads a cross they make a small bug

Brilliant!! It's the best gameplay I've tried so far...I only have one small detail, that when a player heads a cross they make a small bug
I am aware of it and it's because the collision between players. It's one of the reason of why the files are still labeled as a beta. Gotta some things to polish.

Soy consciente de ello y es por la colisión entre los jugadores. Es una de las razones por las que los archivos todavía están etiquetados como beta. Tengo algunas cosas que pulir.
Otra cosa que podría citar es que a veces se exageran los rebotes de la pelota

Hi again,
Why these parameters are not in the mod?
Marking 90
Lane distance: 69
Lane width: 65
Defensive positions: 60

Those are the sliders that you have to set. Both for user and CPU, although you can use your own if you prefer.
I know these are in-game sliders.
What I meant why you did not include these parameters in the GP itself?
I assume GPs should provide much better tweaks that what sliders can achieve, and based on that GPs should be used with all default 50s sliders

I know these are in-game sliders.
What I meant why you did not include these parameters in the GP itself?
I assume GPs should provide much better tweaks that what sliders can achieve, and based on that GPs should be used with all default 50s sliders
Do you know how many values exist in the GP to change? The ultimate goal is to not need to use sliders, indeed, but sliders change gameplay in a way I might not know how to achieve, simply cause modding is trial an error and having to figure out many things.

So as a starting point, is a good way to finally tune the GP while I don't fine a way to do more things with the mod itself cause there are many values to change.

Do I have to enter both files in the Mod Manager? "Pure Football beta 1 TU13" and "Pure Football fair AI"? In which positions?

I have tried the mod in a number of matches, overall I really liked it so many different animations and movements compared to other mods. the movement of the players is more pleasant obviously being a beta it needs to be improved. the biggest flaw is the absence of fouls the cpu is not very aggressive indeed nothing. with the next version everything will improve thanks

I have tried the mod in a number of matches, overall I really liked it so many different animations and movements compared to other mods. the movement of the players is more pleasant obviously being a beta it needs to be improved. the biggest flaw is the absence of fouls the cpu is not very aggressive indeed nothing. with the next version everything will improve thanks
The CPU is aggressive only on certain circumstances and depending on their instructions and tactics, but in general, yes they are less agressive unless you're in the last third or unless they have a pressing tactic. It is like this cause I try to make it more like real football, where teams that defend in the back, tend to be less aggressive.

Last edited:
My congrats for releasing your mod. This season we, the end users are blessed with new ideas from every direction for FIFA 23 GP. Really appreciate it. I am curious what´s your Vision of the game. Will test asap.

My congrats for releasing your mod. This season we, the end users are blessed with new ideas from every direction for FIFA 23 GP. Really appreciate it. I am curious what´s your Vision of the game. Will test asap.
Remember to give me feedback about how you feel about the game!

Sorry, stupid question..is this mod for the Steam or EA app? because I'm new to FIFA 23 :PRAY:

Back
Top Bottom