PES 2018 BETA Discussion Thread

It has the responsiveness of Pes 2014. . .attacking options are limited. . ..it's not the revelation they have been shouting about. . .can't say if it's better than 2017 yet.

Yea Deco, the beta feels more 2017ish to me than offline did. Offline felt more of a finished 2014 leaked demo. I've also talked to a bunch of guys who played offline at E3 and at Windsor during events and without question it was unanimous that offline feels different in a much better way I might add. Atleast online is playable now. Have had really good connections most of my matches. But online def changes the gameplay from what I feel offline. Shooting and some keeper interactions look like nothing from what I remember at E3. My only issues with keeper at E3 was this awkward hanging dive jump on weak shots and keepers not going to ground in 1v1 situations at certain angles. But I see a lot less urgency in animation speed for saves than I did at E3. Everyone, and I mean everyone at E3 was raving about the keepers. Really hoping online has something to do with this.

Im more confident now in the demo than I was before so I'll wait to make true judgements. Even the game at E3 (it was on a PS4 pro and 4K plus they messed with picture settings) looked so much better than how it looks right now on the beta.

Not long to go now till the demo

maybe im playing a different game but i don t think this is anyway near the best football game ever at all, game needs overhaul of shooting system, net behavior, cameras etc....game is no different than pes 2017 i cant barely see any difference in attacking aspects, same angles same ways of attacks..etc

The variation in shots and more importantly individuality (weak foot etc.) is so important. If they could get this right for the final game it could be one of the best ever

not sure how you're not noticing the difference..just the fact on how responsive it is makes it feel like a different game ..the differences are subtle but they are there ..adam reckons shooting variance is now there although I'm loving manual already
i can t even see any difference in shooting its so floaty and unrewarding..

When you compare this beta responsiveness to Pes 2014, do you even remember how frustrating it was to even move the players around, let alone, passing?

It has absolutely not the Pes 2014 responsiveness. It's most definitely lag affecting the response times. But even if you feel there are response time issues, i see nothing. Players are responsive as they were in Pes 2017.

Yea Deco, the beta feels more 2017ish to me than offline did. Offline felt more of a finished 2014 leaked demo. I've also talked to a bunch of guys who played offline at E3 and at Windsor during events and without question it was unanimous that offline feels different in a much better way I might add. Atleast online is playable now. Have had really good connections most of my matches. But online def changes the gameplay from what I feel offline. Shooting and some keeper interactions look like nothing from what I remember at E3. My only issues with keeper at E3 was this awkward hanging dive jump on weak shots and keepers not going to ground in 1v1 situations at certain angles. But I see a lot less urgency in animation speed for saves than I did at E3. Everyone, and I mean everyone at E3 was raving about the keepers. Really hoping online has something to do with this.

Im more confident now in the demo than I was before so I'll wait to make true judgements. Even the game at E3 (it was on a PS4 pro and 4K plus they messed with picture settings) looked so much better than how it looks right now on the beta.

That sounds promising B-Man ..hopefully what they are saying is true . .we're sick of the"white man speak with forked tongue" scenario at this stage. . .I'm not trying to run the game down . .just talking about my experience with the beta.

Twice now I've been kicked out of the PES servers mid game, when the game was going absolutely fine. Not a jot of lag. Once right at the end of a game when I'd scored an 89th minute winner, and just now at half time. First time I assumed the guy was being a douche, but this second time I had no reason to think the guy was an a-hole. Guess today's server config is a bust.

I played almost a year in pes2017 online, and I have not met many such players, and in fact it is much easier to defend and hold the ball than in beta18
I see no reason why there will be a lot of them this year

I'm not sure we talk about the same thing. I feel that when it's harder to pressure opponents (which is good!) it might be a problem when people can pass the ball around with ease when having the lead. And u can't get near them. But I hope I'm wrong!

It has the responsiveness of Pes 2014. . .attacking options are limited. . ..it's not the revelation they have been shouting about. . .can't say if it's better than 2017 yet.
i think it's better overall, but online because of lag and the way they play makes it hard to fully judge now.

Keepers animations are much improved. Ball is looser. Responsiveness online is not as good as 2017 but animations are better. I still need time to look at these keepers because a couple games mine was poor, Spilling easy balls.

i think it's better overall, but online because of lag and the way they play makes it hard to fully judge now.

Keepers animations are much improved. Ball is looser. Responsiveness online is not as good as 2017 but animations are better. I still need time to look at these keepers because a couple games mine was poor, Spilling easy balls.
i just had hugo lorris make a triple save against me, i havr to say the keepers are awesome which is something i like in a sea of negatives, at least something positive, great keeper save animations

Get rid of that frustrating scripting where every ball jumps to the opponent, every pass is a miss while the opponent ones are laser guided...

This shit i've encountered in each game sin PES2016 until now and it pisses me badly taking away all the fun because i feel someone else is deciding the outcome of the match not me or my opponent.

Enjoying the beta still but some things are starting to grate. No game can accommodate for a humans lack of imagination :D

I don't get how the first thing people do is finding the easiest way to exploit the game rather than play football.

Everyone now tries to dribble like Messi instead of creating openings or trying to outwit your opponent. You run and R2 step over then fake shot.

Inertia needs to affect the ball carrier and defender equally but it seems to be heavily slanted to the advantage of the carrier. I mean if I am running shoulder to shoulder with Thiago Silva against Griezman I should be able to push him into the sideboards rather than just jogging alongside him then inevitably getting outsmarted even if I know what's coming...I feel like I am under equipped to defend the dribbling in terms of the defensive mechanics, awareness etc.
i am feeling the same way. defenders are totally not equipped to deal with good dribblers in this game.
that's my feeling so far after playing a few games

I'm more and more convinced that the Beta code is really old and for a very specific purpose: So when Demo hits, everybody will go crazy and then when the full game is out, people will go even crazier. That's why Adam is constantly stressing that Beta is only to test and improve online and nothing else. Behind the real purpose of it (which is actually improving online experience), there is marketing tool hidden underneath.

I mean: Out of the thousands of people playing the Beta, how many will NOT try the Demo?. All of them will. And they will notice A MASSIVE change in everyway.

PES 2018 Beta is different enough (to PES 2017) to get hopes up, but not enough compared to what the Demo AND (later on) the Full Game, so that it will make you curious enough to make you want to try the Demo and that's when you will witness the real PES 2018. That's what I think.

play 2017 more until you get 2018 demo so your mind doesn't forget the feel or little things.
you'll see it's a different game. Lots of stuff i noticed to many to post. But shooting is same to me.

I'm playing PES 2017 to this very day and I will keep doing it until the full game is out (because I'm on PC and we won't have a Demo before release date). So I won't be forgetting PES 2017 gameplay at all.

If Alves hadn't got that wee tiny knick in on Marcelo, breaking up the move for a split second before he got it back and crossed it, I would have retired from this beta as it couldn't have possibly got any better. Still, good manual cross, sweet finish...and I'm just going to pretend Marcelo had managed to knock it on before Alves bumped him...

It is passages of play like that as to why I love PES more than I should sometimes. I don't care if it is PES5, PES2013, PES2017 or an online beta of PES2018. All about what you do with your own brush strokes and sometimes, sometimes, you end up painting a truly wonderful picture for yourself. I'm gathering my opponent even liked it too, as he allowed a full replay.

Last edited:
If Alves hadn't got that wee tiny knick in on Marcelo, breaking up the move for a split second before he got it back and crossed it, I would have retired from this beta as it couldn't have possibly got any better. Still, good manual cross, sweet finish...and I'm just going to pretend Marcelo had managed to knock it on before Alves bumped him...

It is passages of play like that as to why I love PES more than I should sometimes. I don't care if it is PES5, PES2013, PES2017 or an online beta of PES2018. All about chiselling out a wee moment of beauty.

That was fantastic! This was on advanced shooting, correct? Would you say that playing on this setting makes the shots feel way better? Because unfortunately from my BETA experience so far the shooting still feels lackluster just like 2017, it has only improved a little bit (then again I think Bhatti said they have already improved shooting in a new build)

But adam said already on Twitter that the builds are the same as E3/Windsor, the only difference is online

https://twitter.com/Adam_Bhatti/status/888708300635869184

Alright then. I stand corrected. But, maybe, he might not be telling the truth. We won't know.
Bryan has just said in this very same thead (in the previous page or the other one) that this Beta doesn't seem to be the same thing he played at E3. And other people he knows from E3 think the same.

Alright then. I stand corrected. But, maybe, he might not be telling the truth. We won't know.
Bryan has just said in this very same thead (in the previous page or the other one) that this Beta doesn't seem to be the same thing he played at E3. And other people he knows from E3 think the same.

It's probably the same it's just the online makes it worse, similar to last year. But still not as bad.

That was fantastic! This was on advanced shooting, correct? Would you say that playing on this setting makes the shots feel way better? Because unfortunately from my BETA experience so far the shooting still feels lackluster just like 2017, it has only improved a little bit (then again I think Bhatti said they have already improved shooting in a new build)

Yeah, Advanced Shooting, mate. I think it makes shots feel miles better for me as I am having to do something, quickly, and hold my nerve a bit when doing so. Yes, it could be perceived as backwards but for whatever reason it just makes sense to me. That strike was barely powered up, but I committed to using the control shot and the power I wanted to strike it early; only placement was decided on late and I think doing that impacts height, though to be fair he was bringing his foot up to hit it, so I'm guessing there would be some "error" in that it travels just a touch higher than where I looked to place it.

I love Advanced Shooting but I'm still experimenting with how it works in this beta.

It is passages of play like that as to why I love PES more than I should sometimes. I don't care if it is PES5, PES2013, PES2017 or an online beta of PES2018. All about what you do with your own brush strokes and sometimes, sometimes, you end up painting a truly wonderful picture for yourself. I'm gathering my opponent even liked it too, as he allowed a full replay.
Great goal! I notice he took a step or two backwards to adjust his feet and remember back in PES 2011 I would use super cancel sometimes to unlock players from their standing position and let them take the ball in different positions which would result in different shooting animations.

Actually I have noticed this on both PES and FIFA that manual passing and crossing shows off a lot more animations as players aren't receiving the ball on a rail/assisted path and they will need to stretch more or adjust their body shape differently. Following on from this, you have to wonder how much manual passing and crossing adds more variety in shooting trajectories versus the shooting being on manual.
EDIT: Having played a few games vs Lami last night on full manual, you could definitely see a lot more deft touches and passes/flicks due to the ball being received off the rails and bouncing around more. Was great. The through balls on advanced I haven't sussed out yet and the shooting...well I almost ripped one! The corner flag that is :P

Great goal! I notice he took a step or two backwards to adjust his feet and remember back in PES 2011 I would use super cancel sometimes to unlock players from their standing position and let them take the ball in different positions which would result in different shooting animations.

Actually I have noticed this on both PES and FIFA that manual passing and crossing shows off a lot more animations as players aren't receiving the ball on a rail/assisted path and they will need to stretch more or adjust their body shape differently. Following on from this, you have to wonder how much manual passing and crossing adds more variety in shooting trajectories versus the shooting being on manual.
EDIT: Having played a few games vs Lami last night on full manual, you could definitely see a lot more deft touches and passes/flicks due to the ball being received off the rails and bouncing around more. Was great. The through balls on advanced I haven't sussed out yet and the shooting...well I almost ripped one! The corner flag that is :P
yeah, as soon as i switched to full manual i seen better animations.

From what I gathered out of these 22 pages, only Lami and Ramgamer think this game is just like PES 2017 bar some subtle changes. Anyone else feels that way about it?.
It's better than 2017 from this online beta. You know I don't like 2017 too. But I can't tell you for sure because no matter what this is still online and even the slightest lag will affect it. Until the demo is out, which by then you would've played it anyway and made your own judgement ;). Like @Deco said, it's not the revelation they said it would be. It's a much refined 2017 to me, but the shooting is still the same.

Played a couple 3 vs AI (well 2 vs AI because that's all it found) and was kind of fun.

Haha. The 3rd game we had there were around 2 mins were I just couldn't stop laughing, both fumbling trying to get a proper pass or shot or trying to make anything work. Was a funny mess. But then everything clicked again and back to normal ;). Hit me up anytime you're free for a game. Fun games :D

Lami what do you think of PES 13 ?
Animations not the best but gameplay was good. I think it was the last game with a lot of variety and many outcomes, like all the previous PESs, bar 2012 because that game you'd shoot left and it'd go down the middle or the right, lol. Dribbling past players was fun in 2013. Was very contextual. I like it overall but the animations are outdated.

If you can look past its clunkiness you can enjoy it immensely.

Animations not the best but gameplay was good. I think it was the last game with a lot of variety and many outcomes, like all the previous PESs, bar 2012 because that game you'd shoot left and it'd go down the middle or the right, lol. Dribbling past players was fun in 2013. Was very contextual. I like it overall but the animations are outdated.

If you can look past its clunkiness you can enjoy it immensely.

And that's why I'm a strong believer that having too many animations could somehow slow down or interrupt the gameplay. Not sure which game developer said this but pretty much said the animations can sometimes mess up the gameplay.

And that's why I'm a strong believer that having too many animations could somehow slow down or interrupt the gameplay. Not sure which game developer said this but pretty much said the animations can sometimes mess up the gameplay.
I guess it does affect responsiveness in some way because of all the extra little animations that need to finish their cycle, but I don't know how Devs can find a way around it. 2018 looks like it's kinda done it to me, although not perfect, which is nice. When playing a lag free game you can get a feel of how offline will be like, and offline should surely be more responsive as it doesn't involve any data sent or received via internet.

This game needs the variety the pre 2014 games had, because stats mattered more I think. Only then this game can possibly be the best ever made imo. For the variety, I've since "solved" the issue by going manual, even though it takes away the stats role to an extent. It's not the best solution to the problem, but it patches it, for now.

Last edited:
I've just played someone with assisted passing and shooting on level 5 connection and was lag free as can be. I did it to get a game on a good connection. There are hardly any people playing manual here. Went up 2-0 and the guy abandoned.

Why? :(

Haha. The 3rd game we had there were around 2 mins were I just couldn't stop laughing, both fumbling trying to get a proper pass or shot or trying to make anything work. Was a funny mess. But then everything clicked again and back to normal ;). Hit me up anytime you're free for a game. Fun games :D

haha ok will try a couple more games this week. I'll pick France this time. I think the games would be better if they were longer in duration...although it might take more than 20 minute halves to score a goal :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom