PES 2017 PlayStation & Xbox Discussion Thread

Ok, think I might have to eat humble pie about unassisted passing. It really isn't how I thought it was at first play.

Been playing some phenomenal games of PES as River Plate vs Boca Juniors. I need to work on my consistency with the passing but typically I've been between 70-80% accuracy, sometimes 84-88%. More often than not a pass is either inaccurate because I've been way too casual or because the runner's changed direction - some of the passing moves I've put together have actually been exceptional.

HOW THE FUCK DOES CROSSING WORK THOUGH. Baffling. They cross harder than they shoot... I've had to use advanced through ball or L2 to get the crossing to not fly off into the distance.

is that what konami call it now ? I used to do gameplay files for pes 6 and aggression/attacking prowess were always low with DMs and CBs while fullbacks/wingers were all high aggression

try editing any DM in your game and give him 99 Attacking Prowess, see if his positional sense changes;)

Btw, and not to start a conspiracy here, but the issue with CDM playing like a CB, has seemingly been fixed...on its own....

sl7pF3.png

So I played a few more games last night (was gonna play 1 and couldn't put it down :P). I still think the night lighting could be better but I changed to a 7,3,5 camera setting...yeah I know, another camera change. And had some great games - for me the South American licences are a welcome addition as I think those type of teams really show off the indviduality well. Playing with the top teams can feel overpowered or perhaps its too easy to get shots off/create chances with their stats but with the lesser teams, you really have to know the strengths of your players and trying to do something they can't, will expose their flaws. Reminds me of trying to build a balanced team on PES 2011 MLO.

I stand by my comments about Superstar being a good challenge. the AI was varied, took the game to me, changed up their tactics and late in one game it turned into a hyper agressive match where you could feel a boilover coming. Obviously everyone plays differently or sees different things, but if it remains as is, I'd be happy playing this game over the coming months.

Saw a great little chest down pass yesterday followed up by some great little lobbed passes over the top that the AI striker flicked his head at and just missed. Too many things to record and upload haha.

Played 10 matches on manual (passing and shooting). This is really a great experience and plays different to the assisted settings. Will be my choice to play against AI from now on - a new Challenge. On top player the matches were really close.
Looking forward to the final Release :)

Ok, think I might have to eat humble pie about unassisted passing. It really isn't how I thought it was at first play.

Been playing some phenomenal games of PES as River Plate vs Boca Juniors. I need to work on my consistency with the passing but typically I've been between 70-80% accuracy, sometimes 84-88%. More often than not a pass is either inaccurate because I've been way too casual or because the runner's changed direction - some of the passing moves I've put together have actually been exceptional.

HOW THE FUCK DOES CROSSING WORK THOUGH. Baffling. They cross harder than they shoot... I've had to use advanced through ball or L2 to get the crossing to not fly off into the distance.

iv noticed by holding down R2, you do a standard cross, but yeah just pressing circle on its own there bloody rockets,

@Matt
It's down to tactics bud. I put Barca on the "Attacking fullbacks" option often and I had to stop because Busquets would split the CB's despite us having the ball in their half. This something I hope Konami (they probably won't) fixes.

-Probably my BIGGEST gripe with this game is the directness of every team. I played against arsenal with Atleti and purposely tried to defend and sit back. I still won the possession battle every single time out of the 10+ games I played.

I've seen people win the possession battle vs Barca pretty easily, using manual controls on Top player difficulty. I wish their were levels to the tactics. It may be asking a bit too much, but it would be great if Barca had a "Very High" possession style, while Germany, France and Arsenal and simply "High" possession styles. This could really seperate the pace of play between the teams

i think i haven't seen one organic looking counter attack in the last 3 years against Superstar or Top Player AI, that result in a real 1 vs 1 against the keeper, like running alone at the goal from 30 meter out

the only time you see something like a 1 vs 1 is when you disposess the last defender of the CPU

game feels a little weird to me, seems like the CPU only wants you to play down the wings, overall it's fun but something is missing

iv noticed by holding down R2, you do a standard cross, but yeah just pressing circle on its own there bloody rockets,

The O crosses (on 0 assist setting) into the box seems to behave more like OO than O, way too aggressive with the power and low flying trajectory. I hope they fix it in the final release

Really love that the brazilian League is licensed BUT, and this is a big but(t), does it have all the players? The last couple of games a lot of teams have had fake players (and some, like Santos in 2016, had a lot of players missing) in the brazilian League.

This means that for the fifth year running, the PES series will feature 20 Brazilian teams (listed below) from the Campeonato Brasileiro Série A including their respective kits and real name representations for licensed players.

The bold part makes me Think this is the case this year as well... I have a soft spot for FLuminense and last year they had the correct kits but fake players, u can of course edit them but it won't show when playing online.

Just got the demo on Saturday as I have been on holiday. Played about 15 games on it and enjoyed them.

The game play has more depth than 2016, but I am not sure if it's the washed out looking turf, lighting or both, but the game doesn't look like a graphical improvement that a lot of people said it was.

In 2016 the lighting both at day and night is far better and turfs were more green. I don't understand what konami's infatuation with creating a washed out looking game is, they did it all of the time on the ps3 and led to a lot of people hating night games. Even on the strip selection screen, some players faces look grey or as white as background to this text

When the lighting and turf looks good, the animation of the players looks better and smoother.

Also, am I missing something or is it impossible to change formations on the PS4?

Just got the demo on Saturday as I have been on holiday. Played about 15 games on it and enjoyed them.

The game play has more depth than 2016, but I am not sure if it's the washed out looking turf, lighting or both, but the game doesn't look like a graphical improvement that a lot of people said it was.

In 2016 the lighting both at day and night is far better and turfs were more green. I don't understand what konami's infatuation with creating a washed out looking game is, they did it all of the time on the ps3 and led to a lot of people hating night games. Even on the strip selection screen, some players faces look grey or as white as background to this text

When the lighting and turf looks good, the animation of the players looks better and smoother.

Also, am I missing something or is it impossible to change formations on the PS4?

I dont think you can in the demo.

Any manual passing players have tips on passing? I really cannot get on with it. Maybe i need to go back to Beginner and practice. I'm fine with manual shooting though.

One thing I must say, on any difficulty level that i've played. The CPU hasn't spammed the same type of goal. Almost every goal they score is different, which is wonderful, refreshing and exciting.

Any manual passing players have tips on passing? I really cannot get on with it. Maybe i need to go back to Beginner and practice. I'm fine with manual shooting though.

Here's my tip as an assisted player who's dabbled with full manual. Stick with assisted, whatever level you're comfortable with and use the manual modifier button for the occasional pass where you want to do something special like play the ball just in front of someone or into space etc. Manual shooting may be easier as you're aiming at the whole width of the goal not a single player who's obviously a lot narrower.

Now I wait for the manual players to jump in...:SMUG:

Got a bit carried away with Sharefactory for this one. In certain replays this game looks the business...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKT1QtViCKc
Great goal, very typical of Messi too! You're right, the game looks very life like in certain reply angles and that one was very authentic.

Also liked how when the rest of the team ran off to celebrate, Alba feel to his knees screaming in the goal celebrating on his own. Don't think I've seen that before.

Have you tried double and triple pressing circle while holding R2?
R2 supposedly just adds extra loft to your crosses, it wouldn't work for OO and OOO. Those are your commands to send lower crosses.

In older PES:
OOO = fast ground cross
OO = fast mid height cross
O = regular cross
O+R2 = high loft, floaty cross

In fact, I just looked at the menu. OOO is no longer a command. So one of those is missing.

From the demo, it looks like OO travels on the ground. O is low trajectory cross. And R2 is regular cross.

What's missing here, is the very high loft, floaty cross, that you used to be able to do in 16, with R2+O. Or the ones that you see in the midfield in 17, with R2+O.

Somehow the power on the normal O cross, makes crossing very unnatural when we get close to the edge of box area.

I guess you can use use L2 to override it, but sometimes it doesn't work.

The cross system is archaic, it activates a different O pass behavior when u get close to the box. I'd rather they just keep the normal O pass behavior in and around the box, as it does in the midfield, and then give us a shoulder modifier button to turn our normal loft pass onto a cross. That last third feels very rigid when u try to craft plays.

Having a "cross activation zone" is just an outdated idea. It'd make more sense to turn L1 into an all purpose cross modifier button, which we will use not just for early cross, but anywhere on the field.

By the way, the L1+O pass in this demo feels extremely assisted on manual setting. It's like a cheat command, i can use it to modify my O pass, and it'll act like an assisted level 3 pass. Power is almost disregarded, and ball path correction is heavy handed. It just snaps to player, feels very rigid.

Last edited:

Use correct body animation, of both the passer and the receiver. Do not send pass if your animation looks awkward (your pass will be less accurate). Do not send pass if the animation of pass receiver looks awkward (the guy who is not ready, can over run the pass). It's a little like real football.

Also, you don't have to always send the pass to feet. Send the ball somewhere close to the guy, he can walk over to collect it. Try sending some under powered passes, and you'll see. Make sure to play the pass into a pocket of space, where you anticipate your receiving player will arrive there first, before the defender can get there.

I have to agree. I simply cannot do anything with manual passing - it reminds me of trying to play football in primary school, always happy to just kick the ball regardless of direction or power. :))

Back
Top Bottom